Valkyrie - Southern Star Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 227 | Reviews: 29
3.68/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours an almost clear deep gold producing 2+ fingers of frothy, off-white, moderately lasting head that leaves a wash & chunks of lace. Aroma is sweet caramel malts awash in tropical fruit & grapefruit hops, as hint oh wood & humidor cedar. Taste is caramel & corn syrup maltiness mixed with tropical fruit, citrus, a hint of mouth drawing resinous pine & humidor cedar. Sweetness balances & complements the hop bitterness only in the finish becoming rapidly bitter in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, oily and slick with only a little prickle a slightly drawing aftertaste. Alcohol is well hidden.

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nitro, perhaps the only nitro IPA I've ever had.

3.32/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Cool art on the can. My first Texas beer. No date though... think that was a mistake. Crystal clear, golden brew with a finger of cream colored head. Bright lemon and pine dominate the nose, hint of overripe melon. Some crackery malt also comes through. Orange all over the front of the initial sip, which clashes a bit with the rush of bitterness on the middle. Some alcohol burn/taste at a whopping 9.2%. Some muddled flavors, though the density of the brew seems appropriate for a big DIPA. Balance issues to be sure. Would like to see a date, or else this will be a distant memory.

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can poured into dogfish Head glass. Purchased at CBX in Charleston.

A: pours a cloudy deep copper color, +1 finger off white foam head, a little lacing

S: sweet tropical fruits, guava, orange

M: medium with a slight resin on the tongue

T: orange, malt, pine resin, earthiness, hop bitterness and some heat at the finish.

O: good dipa that hop heads will enjoy, the 9.2% abv is somewhat hidden.

1.9/5  rDev -47.7%

A little too malty for my tastebuds

2.18/5  rDev -39.9%

My first review!

This is the first IPA I've been disappointed in! For a point of reference, My current favorite would be NoDa Hop Drop & Roll I had while on a layover at Charlotte's airport.

Look: Promising with a nice copper color and decent foam.

Smell: Mmeh. Piney, slightly chemical- didn't notice any of the fruit aromas and in-your-face-fresh hop aromas that I am expecting from an IPA.

Taste and Feel: after reading another reviewer who mentioned "chemical"- it's all I can think of now after tasting this beer. I would hate to use the word bitter to describe this beer as I think a great IPA has a wonderful hoppy bitterness, but the aftertaste lingers and lingers- it is not pleasant for me and is bittery and chemical and alcohol.

Overall: not balanced. I don't mind a high ABV but this one doesn't do it well- more hops/fruit/biscuit/something! Is needed!!

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell has some citrus, surprising amount of malts. Taste is hoppy, bitter, resin, a solid malt backbone at the finish, alcohol is well hidden. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.11/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass. Nice frothy head that laces the glass as you sip. The beer pours a nice copper color. Smell is more pine that citrus. The taste feels off. A little chemical before the palate adjusts. Not a bad double/imperial but not great either.

3.52/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an effervescent amber with 2 fingers of cream colored head. Serious lacing & good head retention

S: Breadyness, & a little boozeyness that stands taller as this warms & orange peel

T: Biscuitty malt, pineyness & astringency up front. More of the same as this warms, some tangerine peel, pineyness, & dryness, plus more biscuitty malt/dryness & then astringency. Maltyness, woody hops, tangerine peel & leafy hops in the finish

MF: Medium bodied, slight carbonation, okay balance, could do without the astringency

Not bad, but doesn't really stand out in a crowded field, glad I got to try it...

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a clear copper color with a frothy white head that leaves chunks of lacing.

Smells of pine and citrus hops.

Tastes of a big wave of bitter hops layered on a solid malt base. Hops lead off with notes of pine, grapefruit pith, and some earthiness. Tropical fruits are also there as well. This is quite bitter overall. Malts add in a bit of sweetness with caramel and plenty of toasted bread. Finishes with a bitter, earthiness.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is pretty good, but not great. I think the hops are a little bit muddled, and could be a bit more focused.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

This was definitely part of a package from the Mighty JenRay in support of The CANQuest ™, now back in full (fool) swing!

From the CAN: "First to CAN Craft in Texas"; “Please Recycle”.

Oh, man, this Valkyrie squirts! I Crack!ed her open and got a surprise for my efforts. I decided that she would not want me to be gentle with her and so I turned her upside down for an inverted Glug. I stopped fairly shortly when she saw fit to draw her sword and point it at me. No matter. I watched as things settled down from a pseudo-cascade into three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with good retention. I watched in awe as it slowly fell, leaving behind some great sticky lacing. Color was a cloudy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with some visible floaties. I will readily cop to the fact that I have had this CAN on hand for a while, but it was the same with Missile Dropkick and that was still clear. She had lost none of her heat and when I leaned in for a sniff, I got a blast of fusel alcohol! Once I recovered, I took another sniff, this time getting strong pine/wintergreen and anise odors. Mouthfeel was thick, dense and creamy, like a dollop of DIPA had been dropped onto my tongue. Nothing had been lost as she began ripping into my poor, defenseless tongue, tearing out and away at weak taste buds and slashing with her sword at any that tried to come to their aid. Next, she set fire to everything in sight. I was reeling! Verily, the taste was pine/evergreen with a heat that opened my sinuses. Finish was dry, scorching, leaving me gasping and writhing on the floor, desperately reaching for my asthma inhaler as she stood on my hand and ground down with her heel as she executed a perfect about-face and strode out in high dudgeon. This was my slightly aged version. Fresh, she probably shows up with a flame thrower! Phew.

3.14/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle: 1 Pint, 0.9 fluid ounces. Appearance is amber to orange in color, cloudy with floaters, decent head that laces the glass through a few sips. Aroma is nice but the taste is hard to figure out and at first seems beyond bitter to chemical/astringent, and then my palate seemed to adjust a little improving satisfaction. I'm a fan of IPA's and this one falls in the middle of it ... better than most I've brewed but room for improvement.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured agressively from can in to snifter.

A- Dark orange, with a generous finger of white head. Reminds me of liquid soap.

S- Smells like a resiny and piney double IPA. Nothing else really.

T- If I am tasting citrus, then it is very subdued. Honey. Definitely am getting honey. Very hoppy and bitter. I usually like IPA's that are this bitter, but this lacks balance. Not enough malt backbone to play down the massive astringency from the bitter hops. The alcohol is hidden well.

M- It's a little more carbonated that what I would like. It leaves a prickly sensation on the middle of the tongue.

O- A bitter, hoppy, resiny double IPA that is just a tad off balance. It's not as smooth as Endeavour, but ol' well. It'll get the job done.

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a can into a snifter.

Appearance - Rich, golden color with floating sediment throughout. Pretty beer.

Smell - The smell is very nice, I get hints of citrus and grapefruit maybe. It is a nice aroma but hard to pinpoint.

Taste - I get a little bit of citrus upfront followed by the usual maltiness/bready sweetness I get in DIPAs. Resiny and hoppy in the finish and aftertaste, it lingers on the palate for a long time, but not overpowering.

Overall - This beer is great, not exceptional in any singular respect, but really we'll put together and pleasant. Great DIPA, glad I bought a four pack.

3.59/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz can into a footed tulip.

A: Deep golden hue. Pours a slight, bubbly, white head. Settles quickly leaving only a slight beer ring. Very light lacing.

S: A bit of pine, but honey, and molasses are prominent.

T: Hops and bitter pecan shells.

M: Bitter steely hops. Earthy and cardboardy.

D: Sipping experience due to character.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Slight head, and sporadic lacing. Nose is piney with very distinct sweet notes. Hops and bitter nutty quality. Overall, this is a good quaff.

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%

A: Poured from a can to a tulip glass. Had a brownish-amber color and a cloudy consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that lasted a fair amount of time. Average lacing.

S: Lots of hops in the aroma, but not a whole else.

T: Like the aroma, the flavor was laden with hops, but not much else to balance it out. There's some citrus and pine, but not enough. An incredibly unbalanced taste.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with an overly bitter finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is just one of those DIPAs that doesn't work. Far too unbalanced to work properly.

2.1/5  rDev -42.1%

Only one word to describe this beer "TRAINWRECK".this beer is the most awful ipa of any kind i have had,smells terrible and the taste is all over the place.the taste is more just alcohol warm and bitter not much else.if i had paid more than 6.99 for the 4 pack i would be pissed instead of just dissapointed.from a person whos favorite style is ipa and double ipa you have got to screw something up pretty bad for me to bash it but southern star you have done it.i like many of their other beers but epic fail on this one.would never buy again and would suggest anyone and everyone avoid this at all cost,drink if someone gave it to you but thats it.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pouring from the can to a copper/orange hue, this beer serves up a decent head of foam that leaves plenty of lacing. The nose on this beer is intense, with scents of pine, citrus, and caramel dominating and other aromas hiding behind them, like apple and other fruits.

The taste of this beer is similar to the nose, with flavors of grapefruit and caramel greeting the palate at first. Then, other flavors make themselves known, like vanilla and assorted earthy notes. The beer is bitter and has a high IBU level, but it doesn’t seem as bitter as its 100 IBU would lead you to believe.

Valkyrie Double IPA is an interesting brew. I first sampled it in draft form, but today and I sampling and reviewing the version in canned form. It is more alcoholic than I expected and I would never guess the alcohol level was close to 10 percent based on taste alone. It doesn’t taste that strong, and the deceptiveness is cause for some concern, as this beer can really sneak up on you.

This Southern Star beer is strong and bitter, but not as full- bodied as you would expect and the bitterness is masked by its other characteristics. The body is murky, too. It’s an interesting beer overall and while I realize it may not suit everyone’s taste or expectations, for different reasons, I liked it and enjoyed it more as I consumed. It’s my New Year’s Eve beer this year, and it is one I recommend for the more adventurous beer drinkers among us.

3.46/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a half litre bottle into a Rochefort chalice.

A: Rich, hazy auburn. Light head. Gorgeous hue. Heavy lacing.

S: Malty sweet-fruity base with huge fruity-bitter hops. This is what a double IPA should smell like.

T/M: Shockingly thin. Bitter. Metallic. Insubstantial. Huge hop bitterness. Unbelievably so. I think the thinness of mouthfeel accentuates the hoppiness. Finish is clean and lingering.

O: I was disappointed based on the incredible smell. More maltiness and it could be excellent. Would not have again.

3.89/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Orange with a touch of reddish brown, hazy, head and lace not bad.

Aroma and flavor are that of what I consider a subdivision of IPAs/IIPAs, a "malty" IIPA. The malt backbone is bold, the body thick and almost chewy. This is the base for plentiful hops additions, which make this beer more "balanced" (if you can say that about any IIPA).

The hoppiness is complex and earthy, bitterness high, but it almost seems to mellow as you enjoy the beer and it warms. The balance between the maltiness and hops is very enjoyable.

Whether my style musings are worth a darn is somewhat irrelevant tho, this beer is tasty. The overall characteristics of this beer meet with my previous experience with southern star: the beer itself was a bit unusual, but nonetheless quite delicious. So that's 2/2 so for for southern star. I'll be trying something else from them next time I get a chance! Love the fact it's in cans too.

4.69/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Southern Star Valkyrie has a very thick, beige head, a murky, gold-orange appearance, noticeable gray floaties, and significant lacing left behind on the glass. The aroma is of fruity, rather floral, hop-oily bread, and the flavor is of sweet, bready barley malt and super-bitter hop oil. This really does live up to its billing of 100 IBUs. However, as it warms, and one drinks it down, it does mellow out and becomes a very chill drinking experience. The mouthfeel is heavy and syrupy, and Southern Star Valkyrie finishes dry, rich, quite sweet, and decently sip-able. The alcohol really does not show itself with this one. Check it out- it’s outstanding!

RJT

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Served in a snifter.

Love the bottle art on this beer! I like the look of the beer itself just as well, glowing dark amber with some honey highlights. A finger's worth of bone white foam, however, it recedes very quickly down the glass, a spackling of lacing left behind.

Flowery esters dominate this beer's bouquet, a little bit of honey and apricot are a nice touch. A boozy quality and a bit of diacetyl also seeps through, luckily, it does not detract from the overall nose.

Bitter aspirin hits the palate hard, and then the bitterness just runs all over everything. You want a bitter IPA? You have your wish with this one! The other flavors do not resemble the nose at all. Earthy tones, a little grassiness, and a wee bit of wheaty malt, this is mainly all felt in the finish as that aspirin bitterness really makes up most of the proceedings.

Valkyrie has a decent feel, good creaminess and a light to medium heft. Of course, it finishes dry, thanks to the aspirin flavor that just will not go away.

Valkyrie certainly does not mess around. And if truth be told, I will not be joining this beer on the journey to Valhalla. The aspirin palate and unbalanced bitterness have me hoping I get to live to fight another day.

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a deep and slightly hazy orangeish red hue with generous 2 fingers of head and plenty of lacing. The nose features a nice pine and resin profile which is paired with a strong grainy malt profile. Notes of lemon zest, grass, and graham cracker come to mind. Taste starts mild and becomes increasingly hoppy with light malty notes throughout. Notes of pine round out the flavor with a deeper earthy flavor towards the end. Mouthfeel is well carbonated and medium bodied. This is a nice and full flavored DIPA with a strong malty presence as well as a nice amount of piney hop bitterness.

2.65/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

"Valkyrie Double I.P.A." 12 fl oz aluminum can with brown and white label art acquired earlier today at me local HEB Grocery; they'd just gotten it in a couple days ago. Purchased as part of a 4 pack; I don't recall the price. Reviewed as an imperial IPA because it clearly identifies as a double IPA on the label and in the name. 9.2% ABV confirmed. No best before/bottled on date is listed on the label. Expectations are above average; I'm in the mood for an imperial IPA and I'm pretty new to this brewery's offerings. Reviewed live. Served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of light khaki colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Decent frothiness. Has a smooth even consistency and a somewhat soft complexion. Head retention is quite good for the high ABV - about 6-7 minutes. Even inconsistent lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour isn't your typical imperial IPA colour; it's not a copper - more of an amber. Somewhat dull as well. Murky and nontransparent. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Within style conventions. Overall, it's a decent appearance for an imperial IPA but isn't unique or special. Has no obvious flaws. It could certainly appear more inviting, but I'm optimistic.

Sm: Pine is the prominent hop note, with some evergreen needles. Fairly resinous. Somewhat herbal and floral. Sweet bready malts, caramalt, and pale malts. There's some palpable hop bitterness, but it seems mostly concealed by the malty sweetness. I'm not finding any citrusy or nectary hop notes though I do get some tropical fruit - mango, pineapple, passionfruit, maybe tangerine. I'm not sure the hop choices are ideal based on the aroma. The malts seem a bit too caramel-driven.

I don't detect any overt off-flavours or alcohol. No yeast character is detectable.

A generally appealing aroma of average strength. It's neither pleasant nor offensive.

T: Plenty of hop bitterness emerges, and unfortunately goes untamed in the late second act, yielding an unpleasant imbalance. Simultaneously, the malty sweetness is overdone and makes the beer too sweet in the early second act.

Way too much caramalt. Sweet bready malts. Pale malts. It's not cloying, but it's way too sweet. I get some dull vanilla as well, which really doesn't work in an imperial IPA.

Pine is the main hop note, with some earthy, herbal, and floral notes in there as well in addition to tropical fruit notes: pineapple (a flavour that I personally distaste in beer), mango, and maybe passionfruit. It's got all the bitterness of grapefruit, but none of the citrusy juicy flavour. Some pith. The hops they chose for this beer do not perform well here.

It's got some limited complexity, but no subtlety or nuance. Subpar depth of flavour. Average flavour duration and intensity. I really wish it were more balanced. I do like the resinous notes, but overall it's a mediocre imperial IPA.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Unrefreshing. Smooth and wet. Lightly oily. Has some light tea-like astringency, to its detriment. Overcarbonated. Medium-bodied. A bit too thick for the style. I'd like more of a light feel. It has a strange presence on the palate - too full and thick and overbearing for its lack of diversity of flavour.

Not harsh, boozy, hot, or gushed.

Dr: The lack of balance here is what really kills it for me, but the build isn't great to begin with - there's way too much caramalt and pineapple here. I'd honestly just start over with a new recipe - new hops, new malts. While it does a decent job of hiding its ABV, it doesn't do well at providing a welcoming approachable flavour profile. As a result, the remaining 3 cans will take me some time to come around to. A mediocre attempt at an imperial IPA from Southern Star. I wouldn't get this again or recommend it to friends. It's drinkable but underwhelming. There's a myriad of better beers in this style out there, at or below this price point to boot. You've got to bring more to the table if you want to run with the big dogs.

An imperial IPA is about balance; having higher IBUs or hop content does not make your beer better or more manly. I'd like to see this American trend of recklessly dumping in hops as a sort of dicksizing competition with other breweries evaporate.

C-

3.96/5  rDev +9.1%

12oz can from a four pack

Im only writing a review on this because in needs to be clarified on what version I'm rating. This is probably the only beer I enjoy from Southern Star, it started as ProAM12 and was reborn as Valkyrie a few months ago in a dumb ass overpriced 16.9oz bottle (from a brewery who puts everything in cans) and it failed miserably. The taste was off and the price was sky high. Well it seems they listened to the consumer and this run is back to 4pk cans and i decided to give it 1 more try. From what I can remember of ProAM12, this seems to be it. A good piney hop bomb of an IPA. Now only if you would start dating your cans, maybe I would continue to buy this as a regular in my line up.

to view more.