Valkyrie - Southern Star Brewing Company

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 06-04-2013

3.94/5  rDev +8.2%

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.52/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an effervescent amber with 2 fingers of cream colored head. Serious lacing & good head retention

S: Breadyness, & a little boozeyness that stands taller as this warms & orange peel

T: Biscuitty malt, pineyness & astringency up front. More of the same as this warms, some tangerine peel, pineyness, & dryness, plus more biscuitty malt/dryness & then astringency. Maltyness, woody hops, tangerine peel & leafy hops in the finish

MF: Medium bodied, slight carbonation, okay balance, could do without the astringency

Not bad, but doesn't really stand out in a crowded field, glad I got to try it...

2.65/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

"Valkyrie Double I.P.A." 12 fl oz aluminum can with brown and white label art acquired earlier today at me local HEB Grocery; they'd just gotten it in a couple days ago. Purchased as part of a 4 pack; I don't recall the price. Reviewed as an imperial IPA because it clearly identifies as a double IPA on the label and in the name. 9.2% ABV confirmed. No best before/bottled on date is listed on the label. Expectations are above average; I'm in the mood for an imperial IPA and I'm pretty new to this brewery's offerings. Reviewed live. Served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of light khaki colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Decent frothiness. Has a smooth even consistency and a somewhat soft complexion. Head retention is quite good for the high ABV - about 6-7 minutes. Even inconsistent lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour isn't your typical imperial IPA colour; it's not a copper - more of an amber. Somewhat dull as well. Murky and nontransparent. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Within style conventions. Overall, it's a decent appearance for an imperial IPA but isn't unique or special. Has no obvious flaws. It could certainly appear more inviting, but I'm optimistic.

Sm: Pine is the prominent hop note, with some evergreen needles. Fairly resinous. Somewhat herbal and floral. Sweet bready malts, caramalt, and pale malts. There's some palpable hop bitterness, but it seems mostly concealed by the malty sweetness. I'm not finding any citrusy or nectary hop notes though I do get some tropical fruit - mango, pineapple, passionfruit, maybe tangerine. I'm not sure the hop choices are ideal based on the aroma. The malts seem a bit too caramel-driven.

I don't detect any overt off-flavours or alcohol. No yeast character is detectable.

A generally appealing aroma of average strength. It's neither pleasant nor offensive.

T: Plenty of hop bitterness emerges, and unfortunately goes untamed in the late second act, yielding an unpleasant imbalance. Simultaneously, the malty sweetness is overdone and makes the beer too sweet in the early second act.

Way too much caramalt. Sweet bready malts. Pale malts. It's not cloying, but it's way too sweet. I get some dull vanilla as well, which really doesn't work in an imperial IPA.

Pine is the main hop note, with some earthy, herbal, and floral notes in there as well in addition to tropical fruit notes: pineapple (a flavour that I personally distaste in beer), mango, and maybe passionfruit. It's got all the bitterness of grapefruit, but none of the citrusy juicy flavour. Some pith. The hops they chose for this beer do not perform well here.

It's got some limited complexity, but no subtlety or nuance. Subpar depth of flavour. Average flavour duration and intensity. I really wish it were more balanced. I do like the resinous notes, but overall it's a mediocre imperial IPA.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Unrefreshing. Smooth and wet. Lightly oily. Has some light tea-like astringency, to its detriment. Overcarbonated. Medium-bodied. A bit too thick for the style. I'd like more of a light feel. It has a strange presence on the palate - too full and thick and overbearing for its lack of diversity of flavour.

Not harsh, boozy, hot, or gushed.

Dr: The lack of balance here is what really kills it for me, but the build isn't great to begin with - there's way too much caramalt and pineapple here. I'd honestly just start over with a new recipe - new hops, new malts. While it does a decent job of hiding its ABV, it doesn't do well at providing a welcoming approachable flavour profile. As a result, the remaining 3 cans will take me some time to come around to. A mediocre attempt at an imperial IPA from Southern Star. I wouldn't get this again or recommend it to friends. It's drinkable but underwhelming. There's a myriad of better beers in this style out there, at or below this price point to boot. You've got to bring more to the table if you want to run with the big dogs.

An imperial IPA is about balance; having higher IBUs or hop content does not make your beer better or more manly. I'd like to see this American trend of recklessly dumping in hops as a sort of dicksizing competition with other breweries evaporate.

C-

3.75/5  rDev +3%

This was definitely part of a package from the Mighty JenRay in support of The CANQuest ™, now back in full (fool) swing!

From the CAN: "First to CAN Craft in Texas"; “Please Recycle”.

Oh, man, this Valkyrie squirts! I Crack!ed her open and got a surprise for my efforts. I decided that she would not want me to be gentle with her and so I turned her upside down for an inverted Glug. I stopped fairly shortly when she saw fit to draw her sword and point it at me. No matter. I watched as things settled down from a pseudo-cascade into three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with good retention. I watched in awe as it slowly fell, leaving behind some great sticky lacing. Color was a cloudy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with some visible floaties. I will readily cop to the fact that I have had this CAN on hand for a while, but it was the same with Missile Dropkick and that was still clear. She had lost none of her heat and when I leaned in for a sniff, I got a blast of fusel alcohol! Once I recovered, I took another sniff, this time getting strong pine/wintergreen and anise odors. Mouthfeel was thick, dense and creamy, like a dollop of DIPA had been dropped onto my tongue. Nothing had been lost as she began ripping into my poor, defenseless tongue, tearing out and away at weak taste buds and slashing with her sword at any that tried to come to their aid. Next, she set fire to everything in sight. I was reeling! Verily, the taste was pine/evergreen with a heat that opened my sinuses. Finish was dry, scorching, leaving me gasping and writhing on the floor, desperately reaching for my asthma inhaler as she stood on my hand and ground down with her heel as she executed a perfect about-face and strode out in high dudgeon. This was my slightly aged version. Fresh, she probably shows up with a flame thrower! Phew.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell has some citrus, surprising amount of malts. Taste is hoppy, bitter, resin, a solid malt backbone at the finish, alcohol is well hidden. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

2.95/5  rDev -19%

A: Poured from a can to a tulip glass. Had a brownish-amber color and a cloudy consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that lasted a fair amount of time. Average lacing.

S: Lots of hops in the aroma, but not a whole else.

T: Like the aroma, the flavor was laden with hops, but not much else to balance it out. There's some citrus and pine, but not enough. An incredibly unbalanced taste.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with an overly bitter finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is just one of those DIPAs that doesn't work. Far too unbalanced to work properly.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.09/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Most recently on cask at D&T in Houston. Though I have had a bottle.

A: Pours a hazed golden/copper color. A two finger white head forms that recedes to a ring in a minute. Sticky lace is left behind.
S: Resiny, piny hops up front. Slick, soapy, oily. Some caramel sweetness and toasted malts. Lingering bitterness.
T: Like the nose, resinous, piny, and sticky. Soapy hops, and tastes like ice tea. A Green, leafy taste. Almost veggie like as well. Sticky sweet malt. Caramel and toast, with a lingering bitterness.
M/D: A medium body that is low on the carbonation. Resinous, but somehow thin at the same time. If that is possible. A soapy, and lightly powdery feel as well. Some heat from the alcohol, along with a bitterness that lingers forever. Not something I find easy or enjoyable to drink.

Nothing close to the Prom Am version, which was so bright and clean. This is messy, and tastes old already. Not to mention a lingering nondescript bitterness that I am never a fan of. Blah.

4.21/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Apparently, this was released yesterday. 32 ounce growler from Growler's.

Dark coppery amber color, clear, beige finger of head plenty lace. Aroma is citrusy, but equally malty with caramel and sweet bread. Taste has a high bitterness, juicy citrus and tropical fruits, subtle sweet malts, pine resin finish, hidden ABV. Creamy feel, full bodied, slick. Overall, quite delicious!

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a half litre bottle into a Rochefort chalice.

A: Rich, hazy auburn. Light head. Gorgeous hue. Heavy lacing.

S: Malty sweet-fruity base with huge fruity-bitter hops. This is what a double IPA should smell like.

T/M: Shockingly thin. Bitter. Metallic. Insubstantial. Huge hop bitterness. Unbelievably so. I think the thinness of mouthfeel accentuates the hoppiness. Finish is clean and lingering.

O: I was disappointed based on the incredible smell. More maltiness and it could be excellent. Would not have again.

Valkyrie from Southern Star Brewing Company