Valkyrie - Southern Star Brewing Company

Texas, United States

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 06-04-2013

2.65/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

"Valkyrie Double I.P.A." 12 fl oz aluminum can with brown and white label art acquired earlier today at me local HEB Grocery; they'd just gotten it in a couple days ago. Purchased as part of a 4 pack; I don't recall the price. Reviewed as an imperial IPA because it clearly identifies as a double IPA on the label and in the name. 9.2% ABV confirmed. No best before/bottled on date is listed on the label. Expectations are above average; I'm in the mood for an imperial IPA and I'm pretty new to this brewery's offerings. Reviewed live. Served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of light khaki colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Decent frothiness. Has a smooth even consistency and a somewhat soft complexion. Head retention is quite good for the high ABV - about 6-7 minutes. Even inconsistent lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour isn't your typical imperial IPA colour; it's not a copper - more of an amber. Somewhat dull as well. Murky and nontransparent. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Within style conventions. Overall, it's a decent appearance for an imperial IPA but isn't unique or special. Has no obvious flaws. It could certainly appear more inviting, but I'm optimistic.

Sm: Pine is the prominent hop note, with some evergreen needles. Fairly resinous. Somewhat herbal and floral. Sweet bready malts, caramalt, and pale malts. There's some palpable hop bitterness, but it seems mostly concealed by the malty sweetness. I'm not finding any citrusy or nectary hop notes though I do get some tropical fruit - mango, pineapple, passionfruit, maybe tangerine. I'm not sure the hop choices are ideal based on the aroma. The malts seem a bit too caramel-driven.

I don't detect any overt off-flavours or alcohol. No yeast character is detectable.

A generally appealing aroma of average strength. It's neither pleasant nor offensive.

T: Plenty of hop bitterness emerges, and unfortunately goes untamed in the late second act, yielding an unpleasant imbalance. Simultaneously, the malty sweetness is overdone and makes the beer too sweet in the early second act.

Way too much caramalt. Sweet bready malts. Pale malts. It's not cloying, but it's way too sweet. I get some dull vanilla as well, which really doesn't work in an imperial IPA.

Pine is the main hop note, with some earthy, herbal, and floral notes in there as well in addition to tropical fruit notes: pineapple (a flavour that I personally distaste in beer), mango, and maybe passionfruit. It's got all the bitterness of grapefruit, but none of the citrusy juicy flavour. Some pith. The hops they chose for this beer do not perform well here.

It's got some limited complexity, but no subtlety or nuance. Subpar depth of flavour. Average flavour duration and intensity. I really wish it were more balanced. I do like the resinous notes, but overall it's a mediocre imperial IPA.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Unrefreshing. Smooth and wet. Lightly oily. Has some light tea-like astringency, to its detriment. Overcarbonated. Medium-bodied. A bit too thick for the style. I'd like more of a light feel. It has a strange presence on the palate - too full and thick and overbearing for its lack of diversity of flavour.

Not harsh, boozy, hot, or gushed.

Dr: The lack of balance here is what really kills it for me, but the build isn't great to begin with - there's way too much caramalt and pineapple here. I'd honestly just start over with a new recipe - new hops, new malts. While it does a decent job of hiding its ABV, it doesn't do well at providing a welcoming approachable flavour profile. As a result, the remaining 3 cans will take me some time to come around to. A mediocre attempt at an imperial IPA from Southern Star. I wouldn't get this again or recommend it to friends. It's drinkable but underwhelming. There's a myriad of better beers in this style out there, at or below this price point to boot. You've got to bring more to the table if you want to run with the big dogs.

An imperial IPA is about balance; having higher IBUs or hop content does not make your beer better or more manly. I'd like to see this American trend of recklessly dumping in hops as a sort of dicksizing competition with other breweries evaporate.

C-

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

12oz can from a four pack

Im only writing a review on this because in needs to be clarified on what version I'm rating. This is probably the only beer I enjoy from Southern Star, it started as ProAM12 and was reborn as Valkyrie a few months ago in a dumb ass overpriced 16.9oz bottle (from a brewery who puts everything in cans) and it failed miserably. The taste was off and the price was sky high. Well it seems they listened to the consumer and this run is back to 4pk cans and i decided to give it 1 more try. From what I can remember of ProAM12, this seems to be it. A good piney hop bomb of an IPA. Now only if you would start dating your cans, maybe I would continue to buy this as a regular in my line up.

3.42/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rare to find something from Southern Star in a bottle. Most of what they brew gets canned. I'm a fan of most of their stuff, so this was exciting. Plus, the label is cool.

Pours a dark amber color with a healthy two-finger head. Some sticky lace residue. The nose is earthier than most DIPAs, but nice, with sweet vanilla and apple scent. Some citrus and pine, but it's not overt. The taste is a bit disappointing in my opinion. Sort of dull, again with a strong earthiness to it. Dense pine hoppiness with a lingering bitterness in the finish, but a fairly dull DIPA on the whole. Mouthfeel is firm, almost creamy.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad beer, it's just not a very complex example of the style. Nice enough for a cool fall evening, I guess, but nothing to get too worked up about, and probably not one I'll revisit too often in the future.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.75/5  rDev +3%

4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

I've now had the bottles and currently a growler from Whole Foods Market.

L - Amber orange color - a bit hazy with pale off white (yellow shifted) foam. The bottled beer looked clearer. I might be getting an early tap after some settling.

S - Big hoppy citrus all the way. Mouth watering aroma

T - Incredible grapefruit hops. Even pithy. Very bitter with some astringency but not in a bad way. This is the most grapefruit hops flavor I have had. This is why I'm rating it. Excellent. Superlatives all around.

M - Mouthfeel is quite light. It is a nice departure from some of the huge IIPAs I have had lately. This beer feels like a single IPA, Refreshing.

O - Excellent beer. I will drink all I can while fresh. I have heard that some have had infected or oxidized Valkyrie. I highly suggest they sample around. This is a great beer.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%