Valkyrie - Southern Star Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 06-04-2013

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

12oz can from a four pack

Im only writing a review on this because in needs to be clarified on what version I'm rating. This is probably the only beer I enjoy from Southern Star, it started as ProAM12 and was reborn as Valkyrie a few months ago in a dumb ass overpriced 16.9oz bottle (from a brewery who puts everything in cans) and it failed miserably. The taste was off and the price was sky high. Well it seems they listened to the consumer and this run is back to 4pk cans and i decided to give it 1 more try. From what I can remember of ProAM12, this seems to be it. A good piney hop bomb of an IPA. Now only if you would start dating your cans, maybe I would continue to buy this as a regular in my line up.

3.42/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rare to find something from Southern Star in a bottle. Most of what they brew gets canned. I'm a fan of most of their stuff, so this was exciting. Plus, the label is cool.

Pours a dark amber color with a healthy two-finger head. Some sticky lace residue. The nose is earthier than most DIPAs, but nice, with sweet vanilla and apple scent. Some citrus and pine, but it's not overt. The taste is a bit disappointing in my opinion. Sort of dull, again with a strong earthiness to it. Dense pine hoppiness with a lingering bitterness in the finish, but a fairly dull DIPA on the whole. Mouthfeel is firm, almost creamy.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad beer, it's just not a very complex example of the style. Nice enough for a cool fall evening, I guess, but nothing to get too worked up about, and probably not one I'll revisit too often in the future.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.75/5  rDev +3%

4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

I've now had the bottles and currently a growler from Whole Foods Market.

L - Amber orange color - a bit hazy with pale off white (yellow shifted) foam. The bottled beer looked clearer. I might be getting an early tap after some settling.

S - Big hoppy citrus all the way. Mouth watering aroma

T - Incredible grapefruit hops. Even pithy. Very bitter with some astringency but not in a bad way. This is the most grapefruit hops flavor I have had. This is why I'm rating it. Excellent. Superlatives all around.

M - Mouthfeel is quite light. It is a nice departure from some of the huge IIPAs I have had lately. This beer feels like a single IPA, Refreshing.

O - Excellent beer. I will drink all I can while fresh. I have heard that some have had infected or oxidized Valkyrie. I highly suggest they sample around. This is a great beer.

Valkyrie from Southern Star Brewing Company