Valkyrie - Southern Star Brewing Company

Beer added by: EgadBananas on 06-04-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.42/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rare to find something from Southern Star in a bottle. Most of what they brew gets canned. I'm a fan of most of their stuff, so this was exciting. Plus, the label is cool.

Pours a dark amber color with a healthy two-finger head. Some sticky lace residue. The nose is earthier than most DIPAs, but nice, with sweet vanilla and apple scent. Some citrus and pine, but it's not overt. The taste is a bit disappointing in my opinion. Sort of dull, again with a strong earthiness to it. Dense pine hoppiness with a lingering bitterness in the finish, but a fairly dull DIPA on the whole. Mouthfeel is firm, almost creamy.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad beer, it's just not a very complex example of the style. Nice enough for a cool fall evening, I guess, but nothing to get too worked up about, and probably not one I'll revisit too often in the future.

4.65/5  rDev +28.8%

I've now had the bottles and currently a growler from Whole Foods Market.

L - Amber orange color - a bit hazy with pale off white (yellow shifted) foam. The bottled beer looked clearer. I might be getting an early tap after some settling.

S - Big hoppy citrus all the way. Mouth watering aroma

T - Incredible grapefruit hops. Even pithy. Very bitter with some astringency but not in a bad way. This is the most grapefruit hops flavor I have had. This is why I'm rating it. Excellent. Superlatives all around.

M - Mouthfeel is quite light. It is a nice departure from some of the huge IIPAs I have had lately. This beer feels like a single IPA, Refreshing.

O - Excellent beer. I will drink all I can while fresh. I have heard that some have had infected or oxidized Valkyrie. I highly suggest they sample around. This is a great beer.

3.09/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Most recently on cask at D&T in Houston. Though I have had a bottle.

A: Pours a hazed golden/copper color. A two finger white head forms that recedes to a ring in a minute. Sticky lace is left behind.
S: Resiny, piny hops up front. Slick, soapy, oily. Some caramel sweetness and toasted malts. Lingering bitterness.
T: Like the nose, resinous, piny, and sticky. Soapy hops, and tastes like ice tea. A Green, leafy taste. Almost veggie like as well. Sticky sweet malt. Caramel and toast, with a lingering bitterness.
M/D: A medium body that is low on the carbonation. Resinous, but somehow thin at the same time. If that is possible. A soapy, and lightly powdery feel as well. Some heat from the alcohol, along with a bitterness that lingers forever. Not something I find easy or enjoyable to drink.

Nothing close to the Prom Am version, which was so bright and clean. This is messy, and tastes old already. Not to mention a lingering nondescript bitterness that I am never a fan of. Blah.

4.21/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Apparently, this was released yesterday. 32 ounce growler from Growler's.

Dark coppery amber color, clear, beige finger of head plenty lace. Aroma is citrusy, but equally malty with caramel and sweet bread. Taste has a high bitterness, juicy citrus and tropical fruits, subtle sweet malts, pine resin finish, hidden ABV. Creamy feel, full bodied, slick. Overall, quite delicious!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last