Valkyrie - Southern Star Brewing Company

good

Southern Star Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: EgadBananas on 06-04-2013)
3.75/5  rDev +3%

This was definitely part of a package from the Mighty JenRay in support of The CANQuest ™, now back in full (fool) swing!

From the CAN: "First to CAN Craft in Texas"; “Please Recycle”.

Oh, man, this Valkyrie squirts! I Crack!ed her open and got a surprise for my efforts. I decided that she would not want me to be gentle with her and so I turned her upside down for an inverted Glug. I stopped fairly shortly when she saw fit to draw her sword and point it at me. No matter. I watched as things settled down from a pseudo-cascade into three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with good retention. I watched in awe as it slowly fell, leaving behind some great sticky lacing. Color was a cloudy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with some visible floaties. I will readily cop to the fact that I have had this CAN on hand for a while, but it was the same with Missile Dropkick and that was still clear. She had lost none of her heat and when I leaned in for a sniff, I got a blast of fusel alcohol! Once I recovered, I took another sniff, this time getting strong pine/wintergreen and anise odors. Mouthfeel was thick, dense and creamy, like a dollop of DIPA had been dropped onto my tongue. Nothing had been lost as she began ripping into my poor, defenseless tongue, tearing out and away at weak taste buds and slashing with her sword at any that tried to come to their aid. Next, she set fire to everything in sight. I was reeling! Verily, the taste was pine/evergreen with a heat that opened my sinuses. Finish was dry, scorching, leaving me gasping and writhing on the floor, desperately reaching for my asthma inhaler as she stood on my hand and ground down with her heel as she executed a perfect about-face and strode out in high dudgeon. This was my slightly aged version. Fresh, she probably shows up with a flame thrower! Phew.

3.76/5  rDev +3.3%