Wolnzacher Roggenbier - Wolnzacher Bürgerbraü AG

Wolnzacher RoggenbierWolnzacher Roggenbier

Wolnzacher Bürgerbraü AG visit their website
Germany

Roggenbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: putnam on 07-09-2003)
Reviews by Afterburner:
4.7/5  rDev +20.2%

Appearance: Fearsome. I poured very carefully, and still got a 1.5-inch fizzy, foamy, large-bead head. The head retires moderately fast and leaves prominent lacework. Color is a dull, cloudy orange. Lots of haze, but that's an aspect of the style, so no problems there.

Smell: Spicy. Not "hop" spicy, but "coriander and fennel" spicy. Fruity esters of orange and grapefruit dominate.

Taste: Yowza. There's a lot of stuff going on here. This is easily one of the more complex beers I've had. Very nice flavor. It begins like a meatier hefeweizen; fruity and citrusy and sharp. Mid-palate picks up musty, earthy tones, almost like a well-aged extremely sharp cheddar. Some diacetyl buttery-ness faintly present, but there's so much going on here it's hard to pick out. The finish is incredible, with a noticable smoke character (though the beer is not smoked at all) and a dominant spiciness very similar to drinking spiced gin like Bombay Sapphire. Some hop bitterness evident in the finish.

Mouthfeel: A chewier, more robust hefeweizen. Velvety and smooth.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Would make a great session beer for anybody who likes unusual flavor.

Note: This stuff also goes fantastically well with chili. One of the best food/drink pairings I've ever experienced.

Afterburner, Apr 09, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

My first German rye beer,pours a hazy,murky deep copper with a creamy-like white head.Awesome citrusy,sour aromas with an odd creamsicle like undertone odd but quite nice underneath the citrus.Can a beer get more refreshing?Starts out quite tart but not overly so by any means with a hint of pina colada underneath just awesome melding of refreshing flavors.Damn I like this beer and wish I had more I will savor what I have left.

oberon, Jul 30, 2005

Initial pour reveals a clear orange body with numerous tiny bubbles and yeast "floaties" in suspension. Three finger, offwhite head has an orange dreamsicle component that looks quite tasty. Lots of patch lace on the glass. Swirling the bottle before the final pour produces some large chunks of yeast floating around in the glass. These settle into a layer of dark sediment at the bottom of the glass, toward the finish. I left them there, but thought the appearance had a nice traditional German roggenbier character.
Aroma is nice, with some interesting complexity. Caramel and toffee malt notes, Granny Smith apples, and a hint of spicy rye.
Mouthfeel has a medium body and higher than expected carbonation.
Taste has lots of sweet maltiness. Caramel and buttery toffee, a touch of diacetyl. Very bready feel, with some rye spiciness. Hops seem missing in the flavor, as well as aroma, and that's my only quarrel with this bier. Some apple peel compliments the middle, but the finish is a bit heavy on the sweet malt and yeastiness.
Very drinkable for a malt and yeast driven roggenbier. Very different from the hop driven American rye beers I like, from Founders, Terrapin, and Bear Republic. This one looks a bit "dirty" toward the finish, with the ominous dark sediment in the bottom of the glass, but this is yummy stuff here. Just wish it had a more profound noble hops component.

merlin48, Jan 20, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +9.5%

The "appearance" score is a tough one. I knocked this bottled over before pouring. Nothing careful here. Hence, it looks like sewage. Quite literally. Yellowing tan body that is totally opagued. I mean *thick* looking. Yeast globs are sticking to the sides of the glass. Let me stress "yeasty". And there is just as much movement downward in the glass as there is upwards due to carbonation. Speaking of which, the head dies quickly, but rapid bubbles make the surface constantly ripple. This looks like fucking Metamucil on peyote. For real.
This scores a "4" for looks only due to uniqueness. Could easily be a "1". But, I'm not a dick.

This is good stuff.

Spicy aroma of hallertauer and rye with some wheaty and yeasty (clove) esters backing things up.
This is about as truly "rye" as I've encountered. Bready and spicy. Lightly darkened caramel maltiness (hinting at cocoa, even). But rye dominates. More estery weizen/yeast traits. Clove and pepper and vanilla and banana. This must be entirely yeast-driven, since I don't think any wheat was used. Ends modestly hopped, with drying herbals and grasses.
Moderate bodied, with an underlying hefty cream sensation. Intriguing.
I like this. Quite a bit.

cokes, Mar 28, 2004
2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

Oh, mein gott! What is all this crap in my beer! This is my first roggenbier and I had to check some other reviews first to make sure that these floaties are supposed to be present. I thought at first that maybe this beer had gone bad and been infested with some sort of malicious life form! Anyhow, now that I know that it's normal for the style (and that's the only thing keeping me from giving it a 1.0 in the appearance category) it is kinda cool in a science project sort of way. After the huge soapy bubbles dissapear, it sort of looks like thick hot home-made apple cider with tons of spices and junk in it. Still, it just looks...unhealthy.

I smell rotten apples that have fallen from the tree (not at all an unpleaseant smell....just reminds me of late summer / early autumn), a little citrus, and maybe some caramel and nuts.

This one tastes pretty much like it smells. Loads of rotten apple and caramel predominate, while a fizzy acid sourness tickles my tongue. This is a very unique taste. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's weird....not bad, just weird. The mouthfeel is kind of slick, slimy, and nasty...like mucous, and that is the one major characteristic that is killing the experience for me.

I don't want to like this....but I do. It doesn't really look like something you would drink, and all my senses say "do not put this in your mouth!" But once I did take a sip, it's actually sort of good. I think a large part of it is psychological...if it looks like diarrhea it probably tastes like diarrhea. But with this oddball beer, that reasoning would prove to be quite false.

The more I sip, the more I like it. It most definitley has a Halloween / October vibe going on since it tastes and smells like apples, caramel, and spices, ...not to mention the fact that it looks scary as hell. And, you can play "bobbing for yeast chunks" with the kids! This is a bizzare "witches brew" for all hallows eve!

pmcadamis, Aug 22, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

A careful pour delivers a hazy, deep-amber body with golden highlights beneath a good sized head of big-bubbled off-white foam. The head drops shortly but holds a thin surface covering throughout most of the glass; although it rather surprisingly leaves no lace! The nose displays an interestingly tart, yeasty and fruity (lemonish) nose over a delicate caramelish malt with some light spice. In the mouth, it's prickly effervescent carbonation warms across the palate - releases its gases - and becomes quite foamy (but certainly not creamy). And that airy quality disguises it's body which appears to be on the light/medium or medium/light border. It's flavor is much more clear cut, however, and delivers a delicately caramel-laced and gently toasted breadiness that's braised with lemon juice; some mild phenolics and a delightfully light spiciness; backed by a firm, balancing bitterness that leads into a short and dry finish. It's quite interesting; and refreshing as well.

NeroFiddled, Aug 25, 2003
3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Many, many thanks to Rbald42 for the bottle. I anticipated a long, long wait to knock this style off (again). Thanks a ton, Ryan.

Roggenbier pours an interesting brown color that's tinted red. It's incredibly hazy, and looks a little orange when held to light. The cap is off-white and is only a finger or so deep. It retreated very quickly and left light lace in its wake.

The nose is predominantly rye. It definitely smells a little sour. Yeast is quite prominent and works nicely with the rye. There's something about that smells earthy or musky. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's interesting. That's about it. There's not a great deal going on, but it smells pretty good. I'll go above average.

The flavor is pretty good. This is apparently my first 'true' Roggenbier. After reviewing the style description, I can say that this one fits the bill. Rye is front and center. I'm a rye fan, so it works well for me. Yeast is very prominent and complements the rye well. Those are the two primary flavors and they're strong throughout. It has some sour, earthy, and musky characteristics. Alcohol is not noticeable at all. It finishes spicy and yeasty. Roggenbier is a rather simple beer. It's not complicated. I don't love it, but I do like it.

Roggenbier has a lighter body. Carbonation is light, as well. It's too thin to feel smooth, but it's not bad. Drinkability is above average. Roggenbier has a unique flavor in that it's very heavy on rye and yeast. I like it, but can't see myself sticking with much more than a bottle.

Roggenbier's an interesting style. It's definitely unique and something I'd only get into every once and a while. But, it's pretty good and I can appreciate what it is. This is my first experience with the style, so it's tough to critique it. I suspect it's a fine representation. I'd suggest seeking this one out if you're into trying different styles. Thanks, Ryan. I really appreciate it.

prototypic, Mar 07, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

i poured this gently as the sediment is very easily riled up into a frenzy. this pours a deep amber/copper with a rather small but bubbly head. the nose had a suprising sweetnees to it as well as a strong yeast character. bready and a tad spicy. smells pretty good. in the mouth its slightly sticky, highly carbonated and seems to dance around in ones mouth. fun stuff. taste is once again highly yeasty, some sweet malt comes into play (caramel) and somewhere along the line im thinking apricots. strange. light spicing is here and there but all in all this is about the yeast and other bread-like qualities that seem to steal the show. good drinkability and slightly different. tastey and something everyone should try. i have a feeling ill go back every now and then.

DESTRO, May 18, 2004
2.17/5  rDev -44.5%

Burgerbrau: Initial pour was a nice amber color, only a bit hazy. I poured about half the bottle, and then moved over for a leisurely review, and appear to have stirred up the sediment from hell. It poured almost white from the bottle, and ended up a strange orange color, not unlike metamucil. Initial head was nice, but when the sediment hit, it was all over, leaving nothing at all. Taste is sour, very citrus, not wholly unpleasant, but, I’ve got to say: what the? Looks like hell, smells like hell, tastes, well, not a whole lot more than a nine iron from hell. If I was not a BA I’d have dumped the whole damn thing from the git go. Bah!

jackndan, Jun 04, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -27.1%

Disturbingly chucky in appearance, I have NEVER seen so much sediment in my glass. I poured this softly and carefully yet this beer looks like muddy lake water. The carbonation was massive, it looked like soda carbonation-wise, and the head reached a finger before fading away, no cap, no collar. Also, there was no subsequent lacing, just some sugary residue. The appearance is not pleasant nor is it intriguing. The nose is yeasty, shocking! Anyway, the yeast aromas remind me of a Hefe Weizen with its soft banana aromas. There are hints of malt too. The spice of the rye is weak and only found at the back. Maybe the German hops are playing with the rye, I can’t really tell. The bouquet doesn’t do much for me. The palate is lackluster. I’ve never had a Roggenbier but I’ve read the reviews at it seems this is what the beer is suppose to look and taste like. Man, that is disappointing. I was expecting more rye characteristics. I love rye in beer and I was expecting this one just to be explosive with rye. It was not. The flavors are really muted and soft, yeasty flavors dominate and a banana taste dominates. There is some stray caramel maltiness. Bready. I am not going to lie; getting yeast chucks stuck in my teeth is not very cool. At the back is some spice from the rye and/or hops and/or alcohol. I like how this beer finishes; maybe I’m just glad there is none left in my mouth. It is somewhat acidic and somewhat sweet. This beer has qualities I like and others I don’t. Maybe Roggenbiers will grow on me; maybe I just need to sample more. Maybe this is as good as it gets. Funky aftertaste. Medium in body, slick and oily, the carbonation is huge for a while but it died hard and left a sad mouthfeel. I don’t find this to be drinkable. I’ll drink as much as I can from the bottle I purchased in Burnsville, MN but I fear a good amount will find the drain. Still, the door is open to explore this style more. They all can’t be winners.

bditty187, Jul 14, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to the whole crew at Free The Hops for this one. Had a tasting one night, and it was one of the 'leftovers' that needed a home.

Beautiful turbulent tornado of bubbles in the glass as the head rises from the pour, and somehow, the beer magically descends from it. A 2/3 pour in my pint glass yields a three finger just-off-white tight foamy head that disintegrates to two fingers. THis one is so beautiful as it pours... The liquid is hazy orange-red honey colour. VERY inviting.

The semll is very nice, but not the best I've found. The first thing that hits is orange. It's followed by a quick clovy spice, then back to orange again. Second sniff reveals a sweet maltiness and a bit of banana.

There's something missing in the flavour profile, but I can't put my finger on it. The initial sip reminds me of the sesame chicken I had about 6 hours ago. Strange. Second sip has spice up front, then a ver round, sweet almost lemony fruitiness, then a flat woody finish That is not very interesting at all. The fruitiness leading into the woodiness is a contrast that I'm not sure I like, as it's so sudden.

The body is on the thick side, and holds its own pretty well against a carbonation that's low and tight at the begining, but slowly sweels toward the end before nosediving quickly.

Despite some of the shortcomings, this is a drinkable beer. However, I would likely move on to something else after just one.

YAY! This review is finally earning me my little initiate beer mug!

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Aug 19, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a weiss glass, expecting a volcano, and was pleasantly surprised to get a good-looking darker hefe-like beer. So I swirled the yeast, poured it in, and immediately thought I had made a big mistake. Huge globs of yeast splashed into the beer, making it look like a mud pie. Well, this should be interesting. Distinguishing aromas of cloves, rye-like spiciness (duh), and citrus (lemony). Like a hefe without the sweeter bubblegum profile. Nice full flavor and body. Mild sweet graininess first, finishes more dry, tart and yeasty. Pleasing Hallertau throughout. I hate to keep comparing it to a "normal" hefe, but this was much more full bodied and interesting.

pbrian, Nov 21, 2003
3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a murky amber, with a large light tan head, which mostly diminishes, leaving lots of lace. Aroma is spicy, rye, fruity (peach, lemon) ,very reminiscent of a hefe. Flavor is very hefe like, finishes with the rye, has a slight bubblegum like sweetness near the end of the bottle. Medium-full bodied, big carbonation, dry finish.

goz, Dec 08, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a good sized head of large foamy bubbles that recede pretty quickly to a bubbly lace. Citrusy lemon aroma that is reminiscent of a Hefe. Nice hazy amber color. The aroma becomes more malty, bready, and grainy as it sits for a moment. Mouthfeel is fairly full and smooth. Some grainy notes towards the middle and slightly spicy. The finish is a touch tart with some mild citrusy hop notes that fill the mouth and last for a good bit. The carbonation is fairly light, and comes in late. The last pour from the bottle dumps all sorts of gelatinous sediment from the bottom of the bottle that immediately sinks to the bottom of the glass. What I assume is rye sediment, doesn’t look very appealing in the glass, so I stopped before too much poured in. This is a very good brew that I enjoyed very much (more so then a number of Hefes that I’ve tried). To bad the store I purchased this from only had one on the shelf and didn’t know when they’d be getting any more. I’ll have to keep and eye out for other rye beers.

byrd, Nov 24, 2003
3.95/5  rDev +1%

OK this is a weird beer to say the least.

Pours a pea soup thick clouded beer that really looks a lot like sewage in the glass. Kind of a yellow brown in color with a tan colored head.

Smell is sweet, fruity and lemony with an apple aroma and the scent of German apple cookies and rye bread minus the caraway seeds.

Taste is sweet and malty with a pleasant sour lemon edge to it at the start. After a while a bit of bitterness shows up but this is very much like Gose. More refreshing than I would have thought from the looks of it.

This is in its own class for mouthfeel. Damn close to drinking pancake batter.

A tart high grain beer with a surprisingly refreshing quality. But be warned this stuff is THICK! I can't really see drinking this stuff on a regular basis because of the expense and rarity.

Zorro, Jan 27, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

Turbid amber hue. Mountainous, dogged off white head yields rough lace. Aroma comprised of floral hops, notes of raw honey, medicinal phenols and spicy rye. Trace banana esters and acid malt tartness. Rather muddled aromawise. In flavor, prevalent is an impression of toasted malt and buttermilk, perhaps due to the acidulated malt used. Meager residual sweetness overshadowed by drying rey derived peppery spice and static tartness. Phenols mellow than in the aroma mostly of an herbal clove nature. Viscous, oily, glucanaceous mouthfeel. Finishes with mellow yeast must and a slightly obtrusive metallic note fading. A bit rough around the edges. Its rich mouthfeel is its best attribute. Tasty, in a rustic way.

marc77, Jun 26, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +1%

Pours murky orangey brown with rather large clumps of yeast that settle out after a couple minutes. Head is rather impressive and simmers down to a slight fuzz on top that doesn’t disappear. Smells like yeast and green apples mixed together with a twinge of rye. Tastes of dry/stale rye bread mixed with a good hefewiezen. Slightly acidic aftertaste makes this beer rather refreshing. Hops aren’t very apparent but do keep the beer from being overly sweet. Mouthful is very thick compared to most beers seems like the beers explodes carbonation on your tongue and doubles its volume within your mouth. A very filling beer i would find it rather hard to drink more then two in a sitting.

leeenglewood, Nov 25, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

16.9oz bottle purchased as a single somewhere in NoVA, either WF/Vienna, WF/Annadale, Norm's, or Rick's.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 2" light tan head above the warm amber brew. Some floaties in the glass, and huge hunks of floaties in the bottle after decanting the first glass. Never seen such mass of material in the bottom of a bottle. Head continued to grow, rising above the sides of the glass. Actually went and did some chores while it settled down. Very slow to settle, with sticky lacing omnipresent.

Aroma is muted grain with some citric tartness. Taste followed the nose, with the citrus being almost dominant, and then softened by the rye. Mouthfeel is very smooth, and drinkability is pretty good as well. Not as good as I was hoping for, but not a bad brew.

ppoitras, Sep 26, 2005

You really need to let this one warm up a little before drinking it as it lets the rye come through in the finish. Otherwise, it comes across strongly as a hefeweizen. The beer was fresh enough that the yeast hadn't completely settled and lumped together so it was a muddy amber brown. There was heavy carbonation that formed a nice stiff head that lasted nicely. There was a bit of bubblegum and clove in the aroma and flavor. In the finish, the rye really comes out and makes a nicely spicy aftertaste. Good beer.

aracauna, Oct 25, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +17.6%

Murky bronze (lots of sediment and floaters) with a full creamy tan head. Pours thick and creamy with high carbonation. Big grainy rye malt aroma and a light Hallertau hoppiness evident. Tastes much like it smeels -- YUMMY! Rye really stands out compared to American versions I've tried... Full bodied, rich, and creamy smooth for a relatively low alcohol brew.

Rye Beers ?!? I like them but not Rye bread... Now I need to find another import to compare to this...

Label states: "Beer Brewed with Rye" and "Rye malt (60%), Pilsner, Dark Munich, Sour malt, Hallertauer aroma hops"

($3.32 / 16.9 oz. tall sleek brown Euro-bottle)

RBorsato, Mar 08, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Clumpy sediment in a cloudy brown body, head fades at a very fast, fizzy rate. Kind of an ugly looking beer.

Smell: Sour malts are noted on the label (I have never heard of sour malts), and this beer smells sour to match, also very grainy and bready. What an odd smelling beer.

Taste: A very odd beer, grainy and extremely bready, it is smooth going down, but also tart and citric. I like it, even if it is one of the ugliest beers around.

Drinkability: Carbonated but not at the same time, very odd. Maybe my first real roggenbier, I would like to try more, very interesting.

TastyTaste, Aug 06, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

I tasted this brew at Anam Cara. Our server informed me that it is a very carbonated brew, she wasnt kiddin! I poured very carefully and the beer foamed up a decent amount but after I finished pouring the head continued to grow upwards and downwards almost like it was consuming beer. THe beer mug overflowed about 4 times before finally settling down. Once it had settled I began my review.
The beer is chilled and comes in a "big tall mug" type glass.
The brew is a hazy orange in color and is of course super carbonated. The head is HUGE and bright white and fluffy. I get a little sediment into the glass and it adds a tan haze to the beer. Aroma is yeasty and some rye scents too, but overall very mild. First sip reveals a surprisingly light carbonation considering the exploits of the beer. Flavor is bready with hints of rye but again is mild. Very easy to drink and tasty but the aroma and flavor is a little mild for my taste. Could be the style though.

sulldaddy, Apr 01, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a clear, light copper until the HUGE amount of yeast at the bottom of the bottle slides out. This yields a VERY yeasty beer and kills the huge head that develops early in the pour. If you don't like your your beers "mit hefe" (with yeast), pour carefully.

This roggenbier (rye beer) is made with 60% rye malt, Pilsner malt, dark Munich malt and sour malt (from the label). The label also says "Hallertau aroma hops," but doesn't specific the bittering hops. It basically tastes like a hefeweizen-style wheat beer made with rye instead of wheat.

The rye and sour malt lend a very crisp, "snappy" flavor. There isn't much hop bitterness (as expected) and, to be honest, I can't really smell any of the Hallertau aroma hops over the wheat-beer style phenolics and aromas from the yeast in suspension.

If you like wheat beers, you will probably like this roggenbier. I did, but I will try to limit the amount of yeast I pour next time.

chriscolby, Sep 13, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Murky caramel in color with loads of chunks, nice sticky head/lace. Aromas of tart grain, cider vinegar, citrus. Luxurious, creamy and very smooth going down-look out for those chunks mind you! Exhibits the refreshing traits of the hefe style though with more body and complexity. Very grainy/rye on the finish. Perhaps a stellar choice to match up with a Ruben sandwich?

moulefrite, Jul 02, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

HUGE head; unbelievably high level of effervesence. I couldn't tell the clarity because of the bubbles streaming upward. The color is more orange than amber.

The aroma is similar to a wheat beer. This one also has strong yeast smells. With more than 60% rye, that is obviously the dominating flavor. I'd describe it as earthy with a cut-grass quality. The finish is well-balanced with a full malty flavor. As stated before the carbonation is way over the top, but this is counteracted with the full body.

I would probably not order this regularly, but it's very worthwhile to explore!

smcolw, Jun 25, 2004