Morning Wood - Local Option

Morning WoodMorning Wood

Local Option visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.30% ABV

Morning Wood is an oak-aged coffee ale developed and brewed by the Local Option Bierwerker. Fresh American oak used during the aging process and Dark Matter’s El Salvador San Jose pulp-natural coffee aromatically drive the beer; while remaining subtle components of the beers’ complete flavor profile. The amber colored, medium-bodied, and extraordinarily well-balanced ale was first unveiled at the Festival of Wood and Barrel Aged Beers in November 2011. Morning Wood’s taste is delicate and should be appreciated by beer drinkers of all palates.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-08-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

10-19-2013 06:43:26 | More by geuze_gone_wild
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Tastes like, well...wood. the bark of a tree, coffee grounds, some hops. This one was a homebrewing experiment that would not be served. Brown coloured body, a little coffee been aroma. Not too drinkable. I am told it is popular, but that is likely better with food and to people liking say instant coffee.

05-11-2012 12:29:44 | More by Sammy
homebrew311

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

Served on draft at Bad Apple. Aperance is a clear red/amber with small amount of dense white head. Nose starts with medium roast coffee paired with caramel malts and a touch of butterscotch. This is followed by light waves of oak and finishes with a touch of earthy hope. Taste starts off like malty amber with caramel and bread, coffee comes through muddled and leaves some of the less pleasant qualities of coffee. Finish is somewhat off putting with a bit of bitterness along with a wave of weird sweetness. These flavors are not gelling together on my palate. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation. Overall, not a brew I would come back to.

08-15-2012 00:36:45 | More by homebrew311

vinny21bal

01-22-2014 22:11:13 | More by vinny21bal
StoutHunter

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

My friend brought over a bottle of Local Option's Morning Wood to share with me so I took some notes on it. I've been wanting to check out some beers from this brewery but I haven't seen them around and I'm happy to have a chance to try it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it reminds me of a heavy metal album cover and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a fairly cloudy lighter brown color that took on a slight copper and ruby color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the coffee being the first to show up and it imparts a pretty typical coffee flavor with some grainy and caramel malt like aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes the barrel which imparts a noticeable vanilla aroma and very noticeable oaky and wooden aroma but not any boozy or bourbon like aromas and there's also an odd aroma that I can't put my finger on it and I think it may be from the barrel but I don't know for sure. The aroma was decent, but I wish the barrel imparted more of bourbon aroma, and I wasn't a big fan of that odd mystery aroma.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the coffee still being the first to show up and it imparts that same typical coffee flavor but it's a little lighter and slightly stale tasting with some caramel malts, grainy, and light sweet malt flavors. Up next comes the barrel which imparts the exact same aspects that it did in the aroma weird mystery aspect and all. On the finish there's a weird herbal flavor with a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a watery, stale coffee, and caramel malt like aftertaste. The taste was ok, but the flavors didn't seem to blend together as well as they could have.

M- A little smooth, not so clean, a little creamy, not too crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent and it worked ok with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it wasn't too Red Ale like after all the different things they did to this beer, I'm not sure that I could pick it out as a Red Ale, but it wasn't a bad example of a experimental beer and it wasn't a good example either. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, not so clean, a little creamy, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, half the bottle is enough for me, I had no urge to drink any more than that. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a fairly nice looking Red Ale. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, the flavors just didn't seem to blend together that well. I wouldn't buy this beer and I'm glad I got to try this before because I'm pretty sure I would have spent $10 on this beer and I don't think it's close to being worth that and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, on paper it sounded good, but it really didn't come together as well as I had hoped. This didn't make for the best first impression for Local Option, but I still want to try more of their beers. After we drank this beer I grabbed a bottle of Oddside's Morning Wood from my cellar and I know that the only similarity is their name and that they are coffee beers aged in bourbon barrels, but the Oddsides beer blew this one out of the water everyone we shared it with flat out agreed that Oddsides made a better Morning Wood. I appreciate the effort, but this one could use some work especially when we already have a very nice coffee beer aged in Bourbon Barrels called Morning Wood that is brewed here.

03-02-2014 22:03:14 | More by StoutHunter
barhoc11

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Hazy amber color with a decent head that fades fast

S: Big Malt smell with subtle coffee notes

T: Interesting stuff going on here, more of a malty amber/red taste with a very small hint of coffee. If I hadn't read the bottle , I would probably not know there was coffee in this. The aftertaste is not very good.

M: It feels medium-bodied and a little smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. This is its best characteristic.

O: I expected more out of this, perhaps I have an old bottle but the oak and coffee tastes are very minimal. The aftertaste ruins this beer for me

04-08-2014 21:18:00 | More by barhoc11
elNopalero

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

This is a barrel-aged amber ale with coffee… which sounds really appealing to my taste buds but in execution missed the mark. It looks decent, with a light amber color, and smelled inviting, with a strong coffee aroma. But the flavor just didn’t match. Instead of nuance and complexity and a barrel-aged smoothness, and maybe some amber ale maltiness to balance and sweeten things I got a mouthful of strongly pronounced coffee bitterness. Almost as if the beer was a platform for some harsh dark roast coffee.

03-30-2012 20:13:21 | More by elNopalero