Boaks Monster Mash Imperial Stout - Boak Beverage

good

Boak Beverage visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Lupe on 02-28-2008)

vande, Jan 15, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Original Rating Date:
July 26, 2008

Pours deep black, very little head. Mouthfeel spectacular and creamy like a good stout should be. Burnt, coffee, chocolate taste. Very good imperial stout but doesn't quite match up with the top of the heap. Best beer I have had from High Point and another local brewery that I must get out to.

Vendetta, Dec 07, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

12oz bottle poured into a small snifter late at night, my first from Boak's.

Looking at the bottle Monster Mash was not the darkest stout going in. When it pours, it sports a brown color looking porterish. In the snifter a black stout with a cream colored inch of fluff, nice stick.

Smell is off putting, in a way, it's a stout but the there is this other scent that I can only describe as New Jersey. Other than that your basic chocolate, coffee, vanilla and the like but not really.

Taste is what I would call an uninspired rizz, what happened here? Yeah, monster has stout character but where did the ingredients come from? It's roasted with light chocolate and some coffee sense, but it's not hitting. Not really hitting any vanilla and it could use some more sweetness to bring the taste score up a notch. The metal at the end really does a number on me.

Looking art the stout pour this did not look like the thickest stout, It's not. The body is medium with a very light carbonation. Mash just sort of comes and goes without leaving any disernable qualities, but the metal, yuck!! It needs more kick, not chewy enough to be called a rizz, American stout yes, RIZZ nope. The alcohol is pretty much hidden except for a bite at the end.

All in all this seems like a good effort from a brew comer, but falls short in several area's. Boost up the body, get more flavor in this than monster will be sitting pretty. I drank my 12oz over an hour and I did not enjoy it much, drinkable but not memorable. It scared me, but not in a good way.

BARFLYB, Jan 27, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

A: A nice looking pour to this one. A dark, dark brown color with a small tan head.

S: While the appearance was nice, the nose was far from it. A decent roasted malt aroma with a slight smokiness. Unfortunately, there was a lot of acrid roast and coffee as well.

T: Luckily the flavor is a touch better, but not amazing. The roasted malt is the main component of the beer with a smokey flavor.

M: The body is a bit thin for an RIS, but the carbonation is right on: low.

D: This is really nothing special and in some cases, bad. I would not seek this one out again.

womencantsail, Feb 22, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Man this is a strange one...been sitting on this bottle for a few months. Picked it up while on the east side of the state.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. For the first time (well actually, second) I can remember, the pour formed zero head. I saw something that looked like bubbling head formation, but the action died immediately. The body is dark brownish black.

The nose is pretty bad...some roasted malts and a pungent, sweet smell...bad fruit, rancid molasses? The dominate smell is ashes...wet ashes as a matter of fact.

Thank goodness the taste is nothing like the nose. I had a hard time trying this one...almost got a drain pour based upon the smell. Starts off with a sweet molasses flavor that carries through the drink. Some roasted malts kick in toward the middle and some black coffee comes out at the end. You can detect a faint booziness (read burn) in the aftertaste.

Thick mouth feel, slick with no carbonation.

I have to think that I waited a little to long to crack this one opened. No age on the label, but I assumed the 10% abv would hold up. I would not drink this again from this impression...the bad nose and mf are too much for me to get over.

mgbickel, May 29, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

LOOK: Dark brown color with a soapy off-white head. Good clarity and pours free from sediment. Abundant lacing is left on the glass, a sure sign of an oily black extravagance we call stout.

SMELL: Roasted, black malts come through big with some residual vanilla and coffee tones. Alcohol lofts above all else at times, but that is to be expected in stouts of this strength.

TASTE: Malt and alcohol come through big upfront, giving way to a leafy, herbal bitterness. Lots of solvent alcohol as well as stewed hops, astringency, paper and charcoal.

FEEL: Full bodied, somewhat dry for the style.

OVERALL: A pretty big beer without a ton of finesse, but gets the point across. Drinkable enough but certainly not up there with the elite in this style. Fun to give it a go though, and has its warming tendencies.

Stinkypuss, Aug 24, 2014
3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle. Pours a dark brown with surpisingly very little head, almost uncarbonated. What head there is is a slight tan that collars around the glass. Smoky, that's what I pick up first when I smell this. I had to go check the bottle to see if this was smoked it had such a distinct smoke nose. Other than the smoke, coffee and dark bitter chocolate make their presence known in the nose. The frist sip is a good medium/heavy mouthfeel. The smoke is more subtle in the taste but is still there along with leather and some sweetness from the malt. Bittersweet chocolate also in the taste. The smoke aroma and taste is not what I expected nor not what I really wanted in my RIS.

kbutler1, Sep 23, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Purchased 1/2012 and well stored.

Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature snifter

Pours a nice frothy medium tan colored, 1/2” head, which reduces fairly rapidly to a thin film.
Black, opaque color

The aroma is fairly light, what’s here is some very light malt, faint yeast, and some whole wheat bread. The 10% ABV is not noticeable at all.

Nice crisp entry on the palate followed by light nondescript malt, some very mild dark unsweetened chocolate, and some ale yeast. It doesn’t taste bad, there just isn’t anything here. Medium full mouth feel with good carbonation. No notice of the ABV.

A decent if somewhat short finish of light malt and hints of chocolate.

Even though I have no bottling date info I do not believe this is old or past its prime, I just think it is a very, very average brew. Nothing here to excite or recommend. Even after it warms to 55+ degrees nothing comes out.
If someone gives you one to drink, fine, otherwise I would pass on this one.

JTSbeerislife, Mar 30, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

I've been wanting to name a homebrew Monster Mash for years, just haven't brewed one worth of the title yet. Thanks to dfclav for showing me Boaks beat me to it.

Pours a big fizzy slightly darker colored head that fades semi slowly and a bit of lacing, head is too fizzy and not thick or creamy, the beer is darker murky brown coca-cola colored, but not nearly black, I hope the rest of the beer comes through better.

Nose has some darker malts, some light roast, a bit of creamy oats, some molasses, light vanilla, not much for roast and no chocolate, and a touch of burnt coffee, the aroma is very muted, the hops are there a bit, some earthy and light spicy hops, but also not crazy. After it warms quite a bit a slight yeasty aroma comes through.

taste starts with light roasty malts, the roasted is so much it tastes with a bit of an acidic light acrid coffee grind taste, which is dominant, a slight soured acrid coffee grind... eh, well then comes a slight creamy oat, a bit of molasses, some earthy hops and a bit spicy hops but not much, it tastes like it's been aged a bit too long, and most of the tastes seem to have slid. The finish lingers with some of the acrid burnt coffee grinds, a touch of chocolate is coming through finally but not much, and some light sweetness. As it warms the booze comes out a bit more, and a slight stale yeast flavor starts to come out.

Mouth is medium to slightly heavier bodied, a bit syrupy, and decent carbonation, with a touch of warming booze.

Overall not that great, the huge number stamped on the bottom starts with 061108, which I'm hoping this isn't from 2008, but it could be as you SHOULD be able to age a heavy RIS for that long easily, but this did not age well if that's the case. As clear from my review not so great a beer. It started with a fizzy bubbly head (not what I want in an RIS) and colors brown not black, the aromas were muted quite a bit and what was there was not great, flavors were mostly aged and muted and an overpowering sour acrid coffee grind, although its not too sweet and the booze isn't too strong, but just tough to drink not sure if I even want to finish it.

jlindros, Jun 06, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a deep black color. A hard pour yielded almost no head at all. No lacing either.

I smell malts and a light aroma of chocolate.
Black licorice is also in the nose. Smells a little of burnt wood. Almost like a fireplace.

Slightly burnt spicy flavor. A little sweet at first and finishes up with a strong bitterness. A burnt wood flavor dominates the palate.

Mouth feel is ok. Slightly carbonated. Average thickness no chewiness.

I could see myself drinking no more than 2 of these at one sitting at the most.

It's a decent Imperial Stout. Nothing too extraordinary.

BigMike, Mar 26, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

This ale pours with a dark brown color. It appears black in the glass, with a thin, quickly diminishing tan foam. Nose is heavy roast, dark bakers chocolate, cream, oatmeal and vanilla. Flavor is a touch muted, roasty, dry and bitter. Notes of dark chocolate and roast. Silky. Has some depth to it. Better than expected.

Crosling, Mar 16, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Black, with no head whatsoever. The nose was molasses, caramel apple, but surprisingly little spiciness. The taste was super-thick syrupy sugar, with a slight bitter hoppiness in the finish and aftertaste. Even given the style, I still think that this imp. stout was too sugary, and would benefit from a little more hop balance. Way too thick to session; I struggled to finish my glass.

donniecuffs, Sep 25, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

Hm. Another RIS? Perhaps there should be a moratorium - when the best you can do is say "eh, that's a perfectly average RIS" then perhaps the niche is too crowded. This is the beer that made me think this.

Pours black with a large greenish head. Aroma is malted and roasted, coffee and wood, plum. Flavor is carob, ashy, plummy, with some sweet caramel. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy. Decent.

Seanibus, May 16, 2010

Dcunicelli, Sep 30, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to egajdzis for this...
Appears a dark brown, near black with a small, off-white head that fades into a small cap. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of waxy, dark fruit, grapes, cocoa, and citrus.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with sweet, fruity, chocolate, and yeast.
Moutfeel is medium bodied, velvetty, crisp, mild tartness, astringent.

weeare138, Apr 29, 2008

twenty5, May 10, 2013

JasonL02, Aug 05, 2014
3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a deep black moderately viscous stout. Creates a minimal, but thick and dense head which fades fairly quickly to a thin coating of foam. No lacing observed.

Faint but pleasant aromas of dark roasted coffee, chocolate, vanilla bean and some spicy/earthy hops.

Palate was too thin for an Impy Stout with a bit too much carbonation. Not much fullness or thickness experienced in the mouth feel as expected for the style.

Like the aromas the flavors were also fairly weak and wimpy. Dark chocolate, espresso, molasses, burnt caramel and earthiness are subtly perceived. Alcohol was slightly hot due to the thiness and reserved flavors of this stout.

With so many good to great Impy Stouts on the market this one is hardly worth seeking out.

macster, Jan 12, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Picked this up in Totowa last week because I had never tried any of the beers from Boak before. According to this site, this particular beer won a homebrew competition a few years back so I was a bit eager to try this out in particular. Like so many others on here, I was a bit disappointed not only because it didn't live up to my expectations, but because I would have never guessed that this was a Russian Imperial Stout based on the look and taste of this beer.

This poured dark but had a lighter shade of brown around the edges. As for the head, it was frothy but didn't last long. The lacing had to be the oddest that I've seen in a beer in a long time as it was spotty and not in rings or layers. The taste was not that of a Russian Imperial Stout since it was quite smoky and had notes of roasted coffee. It reminded more of a Smoked Porter or a Dopplebock and the thin mouthfeel continued all the way to the burnt aftertaste.

This is pretty strong in the alcohol department and even if it was weaker, I couldn't imagine having more than one in a sitting. While this isn't the worst beer I've had, I can't see why this is brewed for retail sale. I'll try what else is available from Boak just to to see if this is an isolated instance or not but like so many others on here, I just can't get too excited about this.

JerzDevl2000, Mar 18, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Pitch black head, with just a bit of transparency around the edges when held to the light. A very faint skim of a head. No lacing.

S: Bittersweet chocolate and a bit of medium roast coffee. Not too much else.

T: More of the same. There is something slightly off, like the chocolate is an inferior grade and the coffee is from a Perkins or something. The two components don't really come together and there is quite a bit left to desire. Not gross by any means, just doesn't really cut it with the complex bold imperial stouts that are readily available.

M: "Lumpy" At times chewy, at times thin. The mouthfeel just isn't fine tuned. Earthy bitter finish lingers a bit longer than it should.

D: In the end this is a passable imperial stout, but it just doesn't offer enough to warrant a repeat encounter.

callmemickey, Feb 20, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle with dirt simple plain white label with black lettering. From the label, this has to be 6+ months old. I know that because that's when I bought it and the new labels actually have a monster on it. Off to the left side of the label is where you'll find the brewery's address and the Government warning. A brief description of the beer can be found in a rectangle on the front of the label.

When poured into a Unibroue Tulip, this "Monster" of a beer threw off my colored vision a bit. It looked like it poured a jet black color, but when it was held into the light I could see minor defects in the color. When I did that, that lead me to believe that this beer is not jet black, but a dark cola brown. On top of this beer was a mini 1/4 of an inch tan head of foam. This head of foam didn't stick around for very long. It quickly receded into a string of tan rings and about 3 spots of lace.

I don't think the aging of this beer had anything to the aroma, but I hardly got anything in the aroma. The main focus of this R.I.S. aroma was not the chocolate or the malt, but the plum. Hiding behind the plum wall was some dark chocolate,a splash of roasted malts, a hint of caramel, and a subtle whiff of spices.

The taste was a little better than the aroma and had a few other things that the aroma didn't, like hops and alcohol. This R.I.S. taste was dry roasted with roasted malts, roasted nuts, a pinch of dark chocolate, a drop of molasses, a few dark fruits, roasted hops, and then the taste finishes up a bite of alcohol. Not too much alcohol. It was just enough for this beer.

This was a medium to full bodied R.I.S. with a medium dry roasted aftertaste of roasted malts, dark chocolate, a splash of caramel, and a pinch of dry roasted hops. This aftertaste didn't bother to linger on. It lasted for a few seconds and then it was gone for good.

Not what I would call a "graveyard smash" of a R.I.S., but it was still pretty good. Would I ever drink this beer again? I probably would because it's not expensive and it has a 10% ABV. More bang for your buck.

AltBock, May 30, 2009
3.41/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm a BIG FAN of Russian Imperials. This one is drinkable, but on the disappointing side. It pours just about pitch black, with very little head. I assume this is largely because of the high ABV. For those who care about lacing, it does deliver.

The smell is... well, it seems kind of subdued. A hint of chocolate maybe. Smells also a bit like very dark chocolate - a bit acrid.

The taste is fairly true to the smell. Dark chocolate is more pronounced - the bitter kind of dark chocolate. For people who are looking for complexity, you may not find it here. The high ABV is reasonably well hidden, for those to whom that matters.

Mouthfeel is decent, if you like the feeling of a brew coating your tongue with bitterness.

This is not a bad brew! It's a sipper, not just because of the 10%, but because of the strong dark chocolate bitterness. It is very difficult, in fact, to drink more than a little bit of this at a time. That's not a bad thing, necessarily.

I am still sipping on this, and it does grow a bit on me as it warms a little. This has caused me to up my ratings by a bit.

Overall, I am glad I tried this ale, but I doubt that I would go out of my way to get it again.

Shade1951, May 18, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Pours a deep dark brown with a 1/4 inch of foam that quickly disappeared.

S - roasted malts, bitter chocolate and a hint of coffee

T - roasted malt flavor with hints of chocolate and coffee, sort of a flat taste but i don't think thats a bad thing in this case

M/D - Not my favorite in the style, but the flavor becomes more complex as it warms. Nice mixture of flavors that subtly change throughout the glass

mikereaser, Feb 28, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at Capone's.

A-Pours a dark brown, not as dark as I like in the style.

S-Vanilla, some dark chocolate, some alcohol

T-Some nice caramel and vanilla sweetness in the front and some nice notes of barrel aging. But way too hot in the finish.

M-Nicely rich and creamy.

D-I am not a fan of big boozy finishes so one will do it for me.

HV

sholland119, Jan 28, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep, black hue. Minimal head but lacing is moderate around the glass. Decent looking RIS.

S: Mild chocolate with hints of burnt malt. Not bad.

T: This one is a pleasant surprise. Mildly bitter dark chocolate, with hints of burnt malt and a mild hop presence. Flavors meld well for such a heady brew.

M: Somewhat disappointing considering the style. Somewhat thin and dry, but a pretty decent carbonation level. Is not thick and chewy and does not coat the tongue like many great RIS. Taste sort of makes up for this.

D: Pretty good, no frills interpretation of a RIS. Everything is solid for the most part, which leads to a relatively good drinkability. The ABV is typically high for this style, thus this one is a sipper. Would have it again.

irishking1977, Aug 13, 2010