Boaks Monster Mash Imperial Stout - Boak Beverage

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Lupe on 02-28-2008

Ratings: 184 | Reviews: 118
2.66/5  rDev -26.1%

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011.
Pours a deep dark brown color with a thin tan head and a little bit of lacing. Smells of some coffee and roasted malts -- not much else. Tastes of coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts -- and a little booze. Mouthfeel is thin and a little watery. Drinkability is poor.

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

12oz bottle poured into a small snifter late at night, my first from Boak's.

Looking at the bottle Monster Mash was not the darkest stout going in. When it pours, it sports a brown color looking porterish. In the snifter a black stout with a cream colored inch of fluff, nice stick.

Smell is off putting, in a way, it's a stout but the there is this other scent that I can only describe as New Jersey. Other than that your basic chocolate, coffee, vanilla and the like but not really.

Taste is what I would call an uninspired rizz, what happened here? Yeah, monster has stout character but where did the ingredients come from? It's roasted with light chocolate and some coffee sense, but it's not hitting. Not really hitting any vanilla and it could use some more sweetness to bring the taste score up a notch. The metal at the end really does a number on me.

Looking art the stout pour this did not look like the thickest stout, It's not. The body is medium with a very light carbonation. Mash just sort of comes and goes without leaving any disernable qualities, but the metal, yuck!! It needs more kick, not chewy enough to be called a rizz, American stout yes, RIZZ nope. The alcohol is pretty much hidden except for a bite at the end.

All in all this seems like a good effort from a brew comer, but falls short in several area's. Boost up the body, get more flavor in this than monster will be sitting pretty. I drank my 12oz over an hour and I did not enjoy it much, drinkable but not memorable. It scared me, but not in a good way.

1.45/5  rDev -59.7%

As I popped open the bottle I noticed some crusty dried up, what appeared to be brown sugar coating the rim of the bottle. Weird. I have never experienced this. Also, when opened, the beer started to move upward as if it was going to topple over the rim.
I poured into a pint glass and I got nothing but head. It dissipated quickly. The tan head turns very frothy. A very cloudy crimson color beer with bubbles shooting straight up. Looks awesome.

I got a floral aroma at first whiff. Also some copper pennies.

Oh my god! What the hell is this! Tastes like soap, hand sanitizer mixed with sour raspberries. I had to spit it out immediately after the second sip. Gross!

I can't tell you because I spit it out!

Drink ability is piss!

I don't know if I got a bad bottle/batch. I don't know if I should call the HAZMAT team or not! I was really looking forward to this beer. The beer looked great too. Wow... Major let down. I hope I don't get sick. What's really sad is the appearance is what saved this stomach turning beer from getting a F rating.

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle. Pours a dark brown with surpisingly very little head, almost uncarbonated. What head there is is a slight tan that collars around the glass. Smoky, that's what I pick up first when I smell this. I had to go check the bottle to see if this was smoked it had such a distinct smoke nose. Other than the smoke, coffee and dark bitter chocolate make their presence known in the nose. The frist sip is a good medium/heavy mouthfeel. The smoke is more subtle in the taste but is still there along with leather and some sweetness from the malt. Bittersweet chocolate also in the taste. The smoke aroma and taste is not what I expected nor not what I really wanted in my RIS.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep, black hue. Minimal head but lacing is moderate around the glass. Decent looking RIS.

S: Mild chocolate with hints of burnt malt. Not bad.

T: This one is a pleasant surprise. Mildly bitter dark chocolate, with hints of burnt malt and a mild hop presence. Flavors meld well for such a heady brew.

M: Somewhat disappointing considering the style. Somewhat thin and dry, but a pretty decent carbonation level. Is not thick and chewy and does not coat the tongue like many great RIS. Taste sort of makes up for this.

D: Pretty good, no frills interpretation of a RIS. Everything is solid for the most part, which leads to a relatively good drinkability. The ABV is typically high for this style, thus this one is a sipper. Would have it again.

It's nice to have the opportunity to get in some of the locals while on vacation, so I picked one of these up in Philly at The Foodery on my annual beer run away from LBI.

A: Poured a rather thin-looking brown which left me kinda surprised that it ended up being so dark in the glass. It's not totally black, but more of a cola-brown... opaque body with that ring of brown around the top and edges. Head billows up pretty nicely on the pour, an easy two fingers, khaki coloured and bubbly - tiny, tight bubbles, sparkling against the light.

S: A rather rich maltiness, but not that big roasted aroma that might be expected. It has a pretty modest roast scent, paired with a dark fruit that comes across a lot more like a doppelbock than a stout. It's a little odd, though not horrible.

T: Again, it reminds me of a doppelbock in flavour. Malts are not very roasted, no chocolate/coffee like notes, and a dark fruity flavour. Hops pull through, though there seems to be the Cascade citrus which isn't really appropriate for the style.

M + D: It hinted at being thin while it poured and it followed up with just that. Body is about medium, but very light as far as RIS go. An assertive carbonation makes it a little more crisp than it should be, as well. Style-wise, it's pretty off track. As far as a beer goes, it's not undrinkable, but I was rather disappointed all around. It's not one I'd find myself seeking out again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is from New Jersey...I'm from New Jersey and I have never had head this good in New Jersey. Three-fingers thick and tan, it starts off billowy and fluffy and like my mom's cat Fluffy, it eventually died. The liquid is as black as that cat's soul.

The smell is vinous and alcoholic, like a Trenton politician's breath. But there are also sweet notes, perhaps a mixture of molasses and soy sauce, which incidentally make bad salt water taffy flavors.

The toasted malts come through in the first sip and it's about as bitter as a Bergen County housewife who didn't get an Escalade for her birthday, but got a Murano instead. Bitter yes, but not overly so despite claiming that there are "lots of hops" on the label. But then again, we do call this state the Garden State...for some reason. The sweetness is still present but the soy sauce has disappeared leaving just a touch of molasses...which is better than mole asses, which don't taste nearly as good.

It's got a light to medium body, unlike a Burlington County housewife, but is pretty smooth, like a ticket scalper at Giants Stadium. The alcohol is not very well masked, but is not as excessive as make-up on teen-aged girls on Seaside boardwalk.

I've come to expect better from NJ and also worse...a lot worse. So it's a bit refreshing that this is pretty much middle of the road. I'm a bit of a stout snob (and a bit stout myself), so I am hard to impress in this style...and I wasn't.

I was kidding on most of the ribbing I gave my home state...but just most of it. ;)

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz bottle into a tall pint glass

A: Pours a dark black with a big tan head that slowly fades to a smaller head and leaves a ton of lacing. If only more RIS could look like this.

S: The nose is kind of faint with not much going on. What I do get is small whiffs of cocoa which smells pretty good.

T: The taste is full on cocoa with chocolate milk and the slightest bitterness from hops. There's also some dark fruit flavor in the background as well. Pretty tasty.

M: The feel is creamy and smooth. It's on the fuller side of medium but could be a bit thicker.

D: This is better than I was execting and is your average stout. I wouldn't hesitate to order this if I ever saw it at the bar.

Thanks to randomdanger for the extra!

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Man this is a strange one...been sitting on this bottle for a few months. Picked it up while on the east side of the state.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. For the first time (well actually, second) I can remember, the pour formed zero head. I saw something that looked like bubbling head formation, but the action died immediately. The body is dark brownish black.

The nose is pretty bad...some roasted malts and a pungent, sweet smell...bad fruit, rancid molasses? The dominate smell is ashes...wet ashes as a matter of fact.

Thank goodness the taste is nothing like the nose. I had a hard time trying this one...almost got a drain pour based upon the smell. Starts off with a sweet molasses flavor that carries through the drink. Some roasted malts kick in toward the middle and some black coffee comes out at the end. You can detect a faint booziness (read burn) in the aftertaste.

Thick mouth feel, slick with no carbonation.

I have to think that I waited a little to long to crack this one opened. No age on the label, but I assumed the 10% abv would hold up. I would not drink this again from this impression...the bad nose and mf are too much for me to get over.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap -served in a sampler chilled

A - A black opaque colored liquid w/ quick dropping khaki cap w/ semi-clinging lace

S - A toffee-like buttery nose w/ diacetyl and light roasted notes. There is a mild fruit element and dark sugar component as well

M - A sweet tinge up front w/ dense roasted notes and moderately high alcohol warmth on the palate w/ slight bitter and dry finish

T - The taste is a mix of acrid dark grain and caramel w/ a dark toffee and nutty flavor w/ subtle roasted coffee and mellow fig flavor w/ a mild dark sugar and mild alcohol element in the finish

D - I enjoyed this RIS, not the best by any stretch but fits the style ok even though it is slightly unbalanced w/ more sweetness than necessary, I would probably try a bottle and give it another go

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Hm. Another RIS? Perhaps there should be a moratorium - when the best you can do is say "eh, that's a perfectly average RIS" then perhaps the niche is too crowded. This is the beer that made me think this.

Pours black with a large greenish head. Aroma is malted and roasted, coffee and wood, plum. Flavor is carob, ashy, plummy, with some sweet caramel. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy. Decent.

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Poured an antique mahogany from the bottle, while in the glass appeared tar black. A 3 finger mocha colored head blooms rather quickly on the pour to a foamy, whipped topping. Retention was good, still sturdy and respectable after 3-4 minutes while leaving a thin spongey coating for a lacing.

S: Fresh black coffee of moderate strength comes through. A soft roastediness that feels more at home on a Schwarz then a RIS. So far no signs of "the lots of hops" as advertised on the label. Hopefully they will appear on the flavor because so far this was rather lackluster.

T: A nice deep roastiness opens thing in a smooth and refined manner. Deep and earthy with a nice presence of wet coffee grounds and wet charred grains along with bitter chocolate is also evident and appreciated. Dark fruit is found but only slight traces of its 10.0% is detectable. Things conclude with dried creamer notes, and a roasty lingering fade that was exceptionally smooth, with a moderate strength per style.

M: The mouthful was silky at first, before swelling to a nice creaminess upon the hold. The body is a bit lighter then anticipated with a lingering bitterness of burnt grains.

D: Drinkability was very smooth and easy. The 10.0% was not a factor. What it lacked in complexity it made up with its smooth drinking nature. I would definitely have this again and recommend it just for its drinkability factor. A good intro beer into the style.

2.81/5  rDev -21.9%

A big foamy smash after a gentle pour. Took some time in order to get the contents of the bottle into the glass. The head had good retention, leaving heavy lacing. Weak aroma. I pick up mostly alcohol. Faint hints of dark fruit as well. The flavor was disappointing. Mostly solvent flavor. After the first sip I was hesitant to take another. Hints of plums, and chocolate helps elevate the score above failing. Hops are non-existant. The body is just ok. It does have a nice texture. Not a very good example of a RIS. I will not want another.

Thanks to jwc215 for sending this beer to me. This is my first New Jersey beer.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a cream-colored head. The aroma is that of your basic Russian Imperial Stout: Some dark fruit, roasted malt and chocolate. The flavor is roasted malt, light smoke and some alcohol. Medium-thick mouthfeel and low carbonation.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Dark coffee color, no head, very light lacing

Smell: Very subtle smell, chocolate, malt, coffee

Taste: Up Front: chocolate, coffee, vanilla, slight smoke. inish: burnt toast, chocolate, slight alcohol at end

Mouthfeel: Slightly sticky and dry

Drinkability: This needs to be sipped like a cognac. One and done for me!

Overall Impression: Not my favorite R.I.S. It did taste better than the last one I had (maybe due to some cellaring) as the beer warms, more notes come through. I met Brian Boaks at the Philly Winter Beer Fest and he told me that the beer was aged a year before distribution.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

A 12 ounce bottle from the first batch with the black and white label. So, a few years old at this point. Uncapped and poured into my shaker glass. The stout appears a deep black color with about an inch of creamy dark ecru colored foam. Nose and flavors consist of a decent amount of roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate, grassy hops, molasses, raisins, prunes, black coffee, unsweetened cocoa, some caramel and dark fruits such as black cherries. A good bit better than medium bodied and amply carbonated as well. Pretty tasty overall. I'd pick this one up again. Extra points for being a 10% RIS not sold in a bomber bottle.

3.81/5  rDev +5.8%

A - honeycomb of even sized bubbles. Thick tan head. Fluffy. Good lace. Opaque black.

S - no roast/coffee. Balance of hop (spicy/fruity) and malt. Fruity esters. Clean. Ok, maybe a touch of chocolate. A little nutty.

T - dark chocolate flavor, but not so much coffee/roast. Pretty bitter up front. Nice and clean. Comes off as brewed in the British style. Not aggressive like American examples. Pretty tasty though. Not too complex. Half way through, I thought I tasted a little bit of oaky/vanilla flavors.

M - not particularly chewy. Highly carbonated. Could use a little less carbonation.

D - Not too bad. This is more drinkable than say, Ten Fity, and not a beer you'd pour over icecream or your pancakes. :)

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%

Upgraded my grade from A- to A. I love this stuff. A true RIS in great balance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness. Awesome.

Massive Malt and Hops balanced is really nice and unique.

I have had a couple of well hopped RIS's but always with Northwest Hops (Cascades or the like). I am not a fan of them.

So Monster Mash with it's more European hops make for a great RIS option for me.

Apperance: Thick black, viscous, one finger head.

Smell: Hoppy Malty. Cherry, grass, sweet malt, and hop all there.

Taste: Awesome! Nice thick malt hits you first, them balances with hop flavor, and finishes well with a good dose of hop bitterness. Each sip a great experience.

Mouthfeel: Nice and thick without the puckering sweetness of some RIS's. Great

Drinkability: at 10% alcohol this goes down wayt to easy.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

Bottle courtesy of csmiley. Thanks, dood!

Monster Mash is a very dark mahogany color. It's nearly onyx, but a few burgundy highlights are noted at the edges. A soft, tan head covers the top. It's about a finger and a half tall and recedes quickly. Lacing was moderate.

The nose is a little underpowered, but is pretty good. It features a nice mix of chocolate and roasted malts. They seem to be equally strong. Coffee is fairly strong in the mix and adds a nice element to the overall smell. Raisin and black licorice are noted, but are secondary, complementary scents. Alcohol is blended well. I'm not getting much at all. Impressive for a 10% beer.

Monster Mash is pretty good beer. It has a nice chocolate/roasted malt base. It's not sweet, but has more of a bittersweet dark chocolate flavor. I like the coffee flavor quite a bit. It comes through loud and clear. It features ancillary flavors of black licorice, anise, light raisin, and molasses. Not bad. There's definitely evidence of a strong hop presence. It still tastes bitter and has a bit of a pine flavor. This bottle has some age on it, so I'm surprised to encounter that. I wish I would've cracked this one a little sooner. I suspect that a stronger hop flavor would warrant a score bump. Alcohol doesn't seem anywhere near the 10% ranger. It finishes roasty and bitter.

The body here feels medium-full with a little warming. It's nice and smooth. Damn near creamy. I'm tempted to pull the '4.5' trigger. Close call, but it's not quite there. Drinkability is above average. Monster Mash has a pretty good flavor and goes down easy, but a single bottle's more than enough. It's deceptively strong.

Monster Mash is my first Boak's beer. It's a pretty good effort. I think it'd be a little better if the malt flavors came through a little stronger. I'd also like a stab at a fresh bottle (while the hops are buzzing). Nonetheless, it's pretty good otherwise. I'm glad I got to try it out. Thanks, Chris.

3.04/5  rDev -15.6%

A: A nice looking pour to this one. A dark, dark brown color with a small tan head.

S: While the appearance was nice, the nose was far from it. A decent roasted malt aroma with a slight smokiness. Unfortunately, there was a lot of acrid roast and coffee as well.

T: Luckily the flavor is a touch better, but not amazing. The roasted malt is the main component of the beer with a smokey flavor.

M: The body is a bit thin for an RIS, but the carbonation is right on: low.

D: This is really nothing special and in some cases, bad. I would not seek this one out again.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

I poured from a 12ounce bottle into a snifter. It is pitch black in appearance with a thin tan head. There were big notes of roasted malt on the nose. The beer was very hoppy for a RIS. Big floral/pine flavors were balanced out with big amounts of malt. The finish was more floral than I expected. IMO it was medium/full in body and the carbonation was moderate. I really enjoyed this and wish I bought a 4 pack instead of the single.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Pitch black head, with just a bit of transparency around the edges when held to the light. A very faint skim of a head. No lacing.

S: Bittersweet chocolate and a bit of medium roast coffee. Not too much else.

T: More of the same. There is something slightly off, like the chocolate is an inferior grade and the coffee is from a Perkins or something. The two components don't really come together and there is quite a bit left to desire. Not gross by any means, just doesn't really cut it with the complex bold imperial stouts that are readily available.

M: "Lumpy" At times chewy, at times thin. The mouthfeel just isn't fine tuned. Earthy bitter finish lingers a bit longer than it should.

D: In the end this is a passable imperial stout, but it just doesn't offer enough to warrant a repeat encounter.

Pours a deep rich chocolate black into the brandy snifter, barely any carbonation present, no head, no lacing!
Aroma is heavenly roasted malts, coffee and chocolate, as a RIP should be. Medium mouthfeel, subtle hoppiness, and the tinge of alcohol warms my throat!!
Very tasty, with enough sweetness to mix with the 10% ABV.
I'd drink this again, for sure!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Im sampling this beer at room temp poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a dark cocoa brown with creamy tan head of .5 cm that fades quickly to an edge layer.
Aroma is brown sugar and roast malt with some hits of molasses.
First sip is fairly thick with slightly syrupy texture, body is smooth and silky on the swallo and the beer has almost no carbonation.
Flavor is rich malt with brown sugar and raosted note. Some dark chocolate mixed in the background.
No hops show up on the flavor and even the booze is well hidden for a 10% beer. This is a fairly enjoyable and drinkable Imp Stout. The complexity is a little shallow, but what is in there is tasty stuff.

1.6/5  rDev -55.6%

Pours black into my Brooklyn tulip glass. Even with a vigorous pour, there is very little head on this beer. What does form quickly subsides to a very thin lace around the glass.

The aroma, when a bit colder, has some slightly fruity hops in the nose, along with cinnamon and some chocolate from the roasted malts. I was expecting a very hoppy stout because of the label, (A big malty beer with lots of hops) but it's not impressively hoppy. As it warms, there is still a bit of coffee like roast, along with the smell of nail polish remover.

This beer should be called Monster Mess. It tastes like dirty chocolate, two day old coffee, and some slight rust. A little bit of hop bitterness in the finish. The beer just tastes stale, even though a beer this big should last some time. A little bit of alcohol burn in the finish, perhaps just a bit more than acceptable. The almost completely flat body seems to intensify everything bad about the flavor. It does feel big and sweet, but without any lively character. Now that I'm done with this review, it's time to dump this thing down the drain.

Boaks Monster Mash Imperial Stout from Boak Beverage