Boaks Monster Mash Imperial Stout - Boak Beverage

Boak Beverage visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Lupe on 02-28-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 184 | Reviews: 118

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown black with a 2 finger mocha head

smell: roast, caramel, malts, sweet,

taste: chocolate, roast, caramel, sweet, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium to full body,

overall: this is a pretty easy drinking beer for being 10%.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

12 oz bottle, no date.

black, but brown at the edge of the glass. 1/2" khaki tan colored head, fades to thin covering. just a bit of lacing. aroma is a bit smokey, black licorice, some sweetness. hops in there too.

taste of roasted malt, toffee, sweet oat, but then finishes a bit acidic, bitter coffee. could be thicker for a RIS, a bit thin for the style. lower carbonation, drinks fairly smooth.

overall - a pretty decent beer, but can be improved.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a large dark brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of dry roasted malt with light dry coffee notes and some black chocolate. Taste is also a good mix between some roasted malt with light dry coffee notes with some subtle bitter chocolate with some light lactose notes. Body is quite full with good carbonation. Well balanced classic imperial stout.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

The Boaks Monster Mash Russian Imperial Stout, I was told is a 100 IBU, 10% ABV beer. This is a Big, Dark, Chocolaty, Hoppy Beer, but not as Heavy as most Imperial Stouts. I enjoyed nearly as much as Old Rasputin, both great beers to seek out and drink immediately or age.

2.64/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Doesn't pour much like a RIS - the color is right but the head formation doesn't create the bubbles deep into the liquid that settle down into a frothy cap; this one just creates a tan head atop the liquid that quickly fades to a ringlet

Smell: Very roasty, with plenty of charred character; molasses and licorice, as well

Taste: Burnt black bread with dark chocolate, molasses and licorice up front, but by mid-palate, a plastic phenolic element arrives that ruins the flavor; the charred character lingers in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation; somewhat thin for the style

Overall: No telling how old this beer was but I note that earlier reviews of this were much more positive, befitting the accolades awarded the homebrew recipe; something has happened - either the beer doesn't age well or there is a quality control issue

3.01/5  rDev -16.4%

A- Dark almost black topped with a tan head. Head falls slowly to a cap and leaves some nice lace on the glass.

S- Roasted malt and alcohol are the dominate notes, there seem to be some earthy oak and tannin in there as well.

T- Roasted malt and first, sweeter than expected, toffee and caramel in the middle and then a dry slightly hoppy finish. The finish has a lingering aftertaste of coffee and bitter dark chocolate with a little heat of alcohol.

M- More than medium in body, but not heavy, and low in carbonation. The feel could be a little more creamy, it want to be but it’s just not quite there.

O- Solid effort and the 10.0% ABV is well hidden, but not one I’ll be looking to try again in the near future.

2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

Dark, sweet, murky-flavored ale.

Color in the pint glass is dark brown-black. They got that right. There is something coarse and off-flavor about this. Scent of coal dust. A hint of licorice, but hot with alcohol. Grainy, brown rice taste. Broccoli stems. Bitter only in the aftertaste, but not much aromatics from the hops. Reminds me of my own malt syrup home brew of years ago.

There are just so many fabulous imperial stouts, you can't even call this average. Lacks the sweet-hot mellow smoothness of the better examples.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

I've been wanting to name a homebrew Monster Mash for years, just haven't brewed one worth of the title yet. Thanks to dfclav for showing me Boaks beat me to it.

Pours a big fizzy slightly darker colored head that fades semi slowly and a bit of lacing, head is too fizzy and not thick or creamy, the beer is darker murky brown coca-cola colored, but not nearly black, I hope the rest of the beer comes through better.

Nose has some darker malts, some light roast, a bit of creamy oats, some molasses, light vanilla, not much for roast and no chocolate, and a touch of burnt coffee, the aroma is very muted, the hops are there a bit, some earthy and light spicy hops, but also not crazy. After it warms quite a bit a slight yeasty aroma comes through.

taste starts with light roasty malts, the roasted is so much it tastes with a bit of an acidic light acrid coffee grind taste, which is dominant, a slight soured acrid coffee grind... eh, well then comes a slight creamy oat, a bit of molasses, some earthy hops and a bit spicy hops but not much, it tastes like it's been aged a bit too long, and most of the tastes seem to have slid. The finish lingers with some of the acrid burnt coffee grinds, a touch of chocolate is coming through finally but not much, and some light sweetness. As it warms the booze comes out a bit more, and a slight stale yeast flavor starts to come out.

Mouth is medium to slightly heavier bodied, a bit syrupy, and decent carbonation, with a touch of warming booze.

Overall not that great, the huge number stamped on the bottom starts with 061108, which I'm hoping this isn't from 2008, but it could be as you SHOULD be able to age a heavy RIS for that long easily, but this did not age well if that's the case. As clear from my review not so great a beer. It started with a fizzy bubbly head (not what I want in an RIS) and colors brown not black, the aromas were muted quite a bit and what was there was not great, flavors were mostly aged and muted and an overpowering sour acrid coffee grind, although its not too sweet and the booze isn't too strong, but just tough to drink not sure if I even want to finish it.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Nice and smooth, and not too strong-tasting or alcoholic, even for a 10%ABV stout. Pretty much perfectly balanced if you're talking general ingredients, and mouthfeel. A little lacking in flavor, but as far as drinkability goes, nice.

2.06/5  rDev -42.8%

Seriously? I feel stupid for paying $11 for this four pack. Cool marketing and I was in a hurry and I'd never seen it before. And a Jersey Beer, so I gotta try it.
One positive, I've got to say its easy drinking if the ABV is right. It tastes like a 5% amateurish attempt, not a 10% amateurish attempt. Very easy drinking for the claimed ABV. And its not repulsive, its just not worth the price of a DFH four pack.
Color is Brown, could be an Impy, good so far. nose is light, but smells of Impy...ok. taste? like someone watered down a passable Impy with a very tasteless ale - seriously tasteless - not Coors lite or anything, just something to add volume and carbonation, a lot of carbonation, which you don't expect in an RIS - Actually this is an achievement, because I can't imagine how you could dilute the taste of an RIS, but they've accomplished it. Its not "watered down" like Coors Lite. Its just like you took the spirit of an RIS and added carbonation and something else, and I can't figure out what...crystal malt fermented with the yeast equivalent of Chauncy Gardener and the hops equivalent of Walter Mondale?
maybe I just got some bad bottles, because this is the weirdest craft beer failure I've found yet. Its almost worth trying to figure out what it is. Once...then, never again.
If it was a free bottle from a homebrewer looking to hone his skills I could find something nice to say. But not something I would pay for.

3.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Picked this up in Totowa last week because I had never tried any of the beers from Boak before. According to this site, this particular beer won a homebrew competition a few years back so I was a bit eager to try this out in particular. Like so many others on here, I was a bit disappointed not only because it didn't live up to my expectations, but because I would have never guessed that this was a Russian Imperial Stout based on the look and taste of this beer.

This poured dark but had a lighter shade of brown around the edges. As for the head, it was frothy but didn't last long. The lacing had to be the oddest that I've seen in a beer in a long time as it was spotty and not in rings or layers. The taste was not that of a Russian Imperial Stout since it was quite smoky and had notes of roasted coffee. It reminded more of a Smoked Porter or a Dopplebock and the thin mouthfeel continued all the way to the burnt aftertaste.

This is pretty strong in the alcohol department and even if it was weaker, I couldn't imagine having more than one in a sitting. While this isn't the worst beer I've had, I can't see why this is brewed for retail sale. I'll try what else is available from Boak just to to see if this is an isolated instance or not but like so many others on here, I just can't get too excited about this.

2.77/5  rDev -23.1%

Got this bottle thanks to the ladies over at The Bottle Shop in Philly.

Pour: 12oz pour to tulip glass. 2.5 finger tan head over thin looking, super dark body. Tons of active carbonation visible along the edge of the glass. The initial head turns pocketed and rocky, sticking to the glass as it slowly descends. Looks amazing.

Nose: Somewhat light as far as this style beers go. Very roasty, a bit of metallic. We'll see if this opens up as it warms.

Mouth: High carbonation, metallic at the front of the pallet, closed up and tight. As it moves back it turns roasty, more stout like. But the mouthfeel is over bubbly, not true to style as a creamy, chewy feel.

Overall: Not one that I would pay money to revisit.

2.66/5  rDev -26.1%

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011.
Pours a deep dark brown color with a thin tan head and a little bit of lacing. Smells of some coffee and roasted malts -- not much else. Tastes of coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts -- and a little booze. Mouthfeel is thin and a little watery. Drinkability is poor.

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

12oz bottle poured into a small snifter late at night, my first from Boak's.

Looking at the bottle Monster Mash was not the darkest stout going in. When it pours, it sports a brown color looking porterish. In the snifter a black stout with a cream colored inch of fluff, nice stick.

Smell is off putting, in a way, it's a stout but the there is this other scent that I can only describe as New Jersey. Other than that your basic chocolate, coffee, vanilla and the like but not really.

Taste is what I would call an uninspired rizz, what happened here? Yeah, monster has stout character but where did the ingredients come from? It's roasted with light chocolate and some coffee sense, but it's not hitting. Not really hitting any vanilla and it could use some more sweetness to bring the taste score up a notch. The metal at the end really does a number on me.

Looking art the stout pour this did not look like the thickest stout, It's not. The body is medium with a very light carbonation. Mash just sort of comes and goes without leaving any disernable qualities, but the metal, yuck!! It needs more kick, not chewy enough to be called a rizz, American stout yes, RIZZ nope. The alcohol is pretty much hidden except for a bite at the end.

All in all this seems like a good effort from a brew comer, but falls short in several area's. Boost up the body, get more flavor in this than monster will be sitting pretty. I drank my 12oz over an hour and I did not enjoy it much, drinkable but not memorable. It scared me, but not in a good way.

1.45/5  rDev -59.7%

As I popped open the bottle I noticed some crusty dried up, what appeared to be brown sugar coating the rim of the bottle. Weird. I have never experienced this. Also, when opened, the beer started to move upward as if it was going to topple over the rim.
I poured into a pint glass and I got nothing but head. It dissipated quickly. The tan head turns very frothy. A very cloudy crimson color beer with bubbles shooting straight up. Looks awesome.

I got a floral aroma at first whiff. Also some copper pennies.

Oh my god! What the hell is this! Tastes like soap, hand sanitizer mixed with sour raspberries. I had to spit it out immediately after the second sip. Gross!

I can't tell you because I spit it out!

Drink ability is piss!

I don't know if I got a bad bottle/batch. I don't know if I should call the HAZMAT team or not! I was really looking forward to this beer. The beer looked great too. Wow... Major let down. I hope I don't get sick. What's really sad is the appearance is what saved this stomach turning beer from getting a F rating.

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle. Pours a dark brown with surpisingly very little head, almost uncarbonated. What head there is is a slight tan that collars around the glass. Smoky, that's what I pick up first when I smell this. I had to go check the bottle to see if this was smoked it had such a distinct smoke nose. Other than the smoke, coffee and dark bitter chocolate make their presence known in the nose. The frist sip is a good medium/heavy mouthfeel. The smoke is more subtle in the taste but is still there along with leather and some sweetness from the malt. Bittersweet chocolate also in the taste. The smoke aroma and taste is not what I expected nor not what I really wanted in my RIS.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep, black hue. Minimal head but lacing is moderate around the glass. Decent looking RIS.

S: Mild chocolate with hints of burnt malt. Not bad.

T: This one is a pleasant surprise. Mildly bitter dark chocolate, with hints of burnt malt and a mild hop presence. Flavors meld well for such a heady brew.

M: Somewhat disappointing considering the style. Somewhat thin and dry, but a pretty decent carbonation level. Is not thick and chewy and does not coat the tongue like many great RIS. Taste sort of makes up for this.

D: Pretty good, no frills interpretation of a RIS. Everything is solid for the most part, which leads to a relatively good drinkability. The ABV is typically high for this style, thus this one is a sipper. Would have it again.

It's nice to have the opportunity to get in some of the locals while on vacation, so I picked one of these up in Philly at The Foodery on my annual beer run away from LBI.

A: Poured a rather thin-looking brown which left me kinda surprised that it ended up being so dark in the glass. It's not totally black, but more of a cola-brown... opaque body with that ring of brown around the top and edges. Head billows up pretty nicely on the pour, an easy two fingers, khaki coloured and bubbly - tiny, tight bubbles, sparkling against the light.

S: A rather rich maltiness, but not that big roasted aroma that might be expected. It has a pretty modest roast scent, paired with a dark fruit that comes across a lot more like a doppelbock than a stout. It's a little odd, though not horrible.

T: Again, it reminds me of a doppelbock in flavour. Malts are not very roasted, no chocolate/coffee like notes, and a dark fruity flavour. Hops pull through, though there seems to be the Cascade citrus which isn't really appropriate for the style.

M + D: It hinted at being thin while it poured and it followed up with just that. Body is about medium, but very light as far as RIS go. An assertive carbonation makes it a little more crisp than it should be, as well. Style-wise, it's pretty off track. As far as a beer goes, it's not undrinkable, but I was rather disappointed all around. It's not one I'd find myself seeking out again.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is from New Jersey...I'm from New Jersey and I have never had head this good in New Jersey. Three-fingers thick and tan, it starts off billowy and fluffy and like my mom's cat Fluffy, it eventually died. The liquid is as black as that cat's soul.

The smell is vinous and alcoholic, like a Trenton politician's breath. But there are also sweet notes, perhaps a mixture of molasses and soy sauce, which incidentally make bad salt water taffy flavors.

The toasted malts come through in the first sip and it's about as bitter as a Bergen County housewife who didn't get an Escalade for her birthday, but got a Murano instead. Bitter yes, but not overly so despite claiming that there are "lots of hops" on the label. But then again, we do call this state the Garden State...for some reason. The sweetness is still present but the soy sauce has disappeared leaving just a touch of molasses...which is better than mole asses, which don't taste nearly as good.

It's got a light to medium body, unlike a Burlington County housewife, but is pretty smooth, like a ticket scalper at Giants Stadium. The alcohol is not very well masked, but is not as excessive as make-up on teen-aged girls on Seaside boardwalk.

I've come to expect better from NJ and also worse...a lot worse. So it's a bit refreshing that this is pretty much middle of the road. I'm a bit of a stout snob (and a bit stout myself), so I am hard to impress in this style...and I wasn't.

I was kidding on most of the ribbing I gave my home state...but just most of it. ;)

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz bottle into a tall pint glass

A: Pours a dark black with a big tan head that slowly fades to a smaller head and leaves a ton of lacing. If only more RIS could look like this.

S: The nose is kind of faint with not much going on. What I do get is small whiffs of cocoa which smells pretty good.

T: The taste is full on cocoa with chocolate milk and the slightest bitterness from hops. There's also some dark fruit flavor in the background as well. Pretty tasty.

M: The feel is creamy and smooth. It's on the fuller side of medium but could be a bit thicker.

D: This is better than I was execting and is your average stout. I wouldn't hesitate to order this if I ever saw it at the bar.

Thanks to randomdanger for the extra!

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Man this is a strange one...been sitting on this bottle for a few months. Picked it up while on the east side of the state.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. For the first time (well actually, second) I can remember, the pour formed zero head. I saw something that looked like bubbling head formation, but the action died immediately. The body is dark brownish black.

The nose is pretty bad...some roasted malts and a pungent, sweet smell...bad fruit, rancid molasses? The dominate smell is ashes...wet ashes as a matter of fact.

Thank goodness the taste is nothing like the nose. I had a hard time trying this one...almost got a drain pour based upon the smell. Starts off with a sweet molasses flavor that carries through the drink. Some roasted malts kick in toward the middle and some black coffee comes out at the end. You can detect a faint booziness (read burn) in the aftertaste.

Thick mouth feel, slick with no carbonation.

I have to think that I waited a little to long to crack this one opened. No age on the label, but I assumed the 10% abv would hold up. I would not drink this again from this impression...the bad nose and mf are too much for me to get over.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Boaks Monster Mash Imperial Stout from Boak Beverage