Rebel - M욻anský Pivovar Havlíčkův Brod, A.S.

RebelRebel

good

M욻anský Pivovar Havlíčkův Brod, A.S. visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-14-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rebel Alström Bros
1.57/5  rDev -53.6%

The bottle says that the brewery was founded in 1333, and I think I must have just tried one of their very first beers ever made, from around the same date. Atleast thats the way it tasted... Pure Skunk. The ridiculous amount of skunk flavor was so intense that it overwhelmed every aspect of the beer. I didnt pour it, so I cant say anything about the appearance, but all I could smell was putrid skunk, and all I could taste was bitter skunk. As soon as I took a sip my girlfriend said she could smell my skunk breath from the other side of the house. I'm not sure if this beer was really meant to be this way or if I just ran into an outrageously old bottle. I may try again just to see. (690 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -44.4%

Loved the name if the beer. It made me wanna try it which is good for the brewery. But as I sat down to enjoy this brew I realized that I really can't get into pilasters too much. So I sat there trying to toss back a rather large bottle of beer for myself. Clear yellow and grassy and a fluffy head on this one. (311 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -41.7%

This was my first taste of Czech beer, and if this one is any sign of there quality, I will probably keep my distance. I didn't expect this to blow me away, but I was hoping for a nice pilsner. First of all, I am not sure if I got a bad bottle, but this was VERY flat. There was literally no head what so ever. And it sure isn't hard to produce a head in a pilsner glass. Secondly, it just reminded me of something that you would buy in 30 packs at the grocery store for $8.99. I can't say that it was disgusting at all, but it had absolutely nothing special about it and what it did have in its body was even weak. (615 characters)

Can't say I enjoyed this one much at all. Maybe it is because I had my first Chimay Bleu to look forward to after this, but I had trouble gleaning anything positive out of this beer. This one was $1.19 as opposed to the Brou Czech which was $.99, but I enjoyed the Brou Czech more. Go figure. Sharp, sour flavor and aroma was weak. I am staying away from this one. (364 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -38.2%

I had some high expections going in with this beer, but this has seriously let me down. Poured out a light golden color with a decent amount of carbonation. Looked nice actually. Smell wasn't that great. Some hops were detected but that was it. Taste was the same as smell. Some hop bite was noticable along with some metallic flavors which lasted into the aftertaste. I was really expecting more from this beer, perhaps it was a bad bottle, some skunkiness was in the aroma, but this was a let down for sure. Try it at your own risk. (534 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -37%

Pours a transparent straw color with a decent head of white foam. The aroma is very mild, smelling faintly of Saaz hops, vague sweetness, and some light skunk. Taste is almost nonexistent on the front end, consisting of carbonation and an indefinable something that's technically not nothing. Some honey-like sweetness emerges in the finish as you're still racking your brain to determine if you actually tasted anything at all. While the modicum of flavor that exists is not offensive, it's so mild that it's bordering on seltzer water. Even an American light macrobrew has bolder flavor than this. I'm an admitted skeptic of Pilsners to begin with, and this certainly does nothing to champion their cause. (707 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -36.1%

A--amber, pale gold.

S--Hints of toast, honey, distinctly sour.

T--Malty, distinct taste of hops, caramel, bitter aftertaste.

M--Round, goes down easily, smooth.

D--probably not, unless I crave a bitter, malty beer. Not what I'd reach for on a night out with friends or while lounging at home. (298 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -35.2%

Czech pilseners are notoriously difficult (and expensive) to produce. Subtle hops, clean, fresh water, and just the right amount of roasted grains will produce something divine.

Rebel pours a medium amber color slightly darker than what I expect from Czech lagers. A mildly frothy head is supported by a fireworks-show of beautiful bubbles that fill the glass.

The nose is mostly of toasted grains; the aromatic characteristics of the hops are hidden by a somewhat unpleasant tinny scent.

The taste of a good pilsener beer is crisp and balanced; that of a great pilsener beer is harmonious and sings like a carefully tuned piano. Rebel is none of the above. The taste of toasted malt obscures any bitter, fruity, and floral characteristics imparted by the hops. The faint but lingering tinny taste also neutralizes the flavor of the hops, which ought to be on display here.

The beer's initially impressive carbonation went flat. It is difficult to judge a beer's mouthfeel when the taste is so unpleasant, because the former only has value insofar as it complements the latter. Still, I can say that on my first sip there was a champagne-like sharpness on the tongue, which would have nicely complemented any well-executed pilsener. Within a few minutes, though, the beer was below-average.

The fine print on the back of this beer's label identifies it as "The Award Winning, Authentic Czech Beer." Our postmodern world has taught aesthetes to be suspicious of claims of authenticity, for it is no indication of quality or aesthetic value. But I was surprised to read that this beer has won awards. Where? From whom? The bottle doesn't tell us this important bit of information... (1,685 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -31.1%

This poured a clean golden tan color with creamy foam. There was a honeyed sweet aroma on it, followed by a faded honeyed hop flavor with light bitterness. Not very tasty. Even going from ice cold serving temps to slightly warming a stale cereal malt flavor (“like bad Coors”) dominated. Pour or pass on this. (313 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -30.8%

Deep dark golden yellow. Strong odor of cheap skunky beer, like bud. Very little head. Smell is overwhelming while the taste is barely there. Sharp bite on the mouthfeel. Starts out bitter; slightly sweet in the middle and on the very short finish. Not impressed yet somehow less bad than I expected. (300 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -29.3%

The 12oz green bottle delivers a clear, straw brew into the Sammy freebie glass. Pretty good foamy white head sitting on top, ring o' lace tries to appear, but quits. No dating, not good.

Classic euro skunk aroma progresses into a thin, but still malty quaff. Bit of corn and grain mixed together shows up - but still an overall weak and watery brew. It has a crisp finish - kinda like the way a club soda goes down.

Oh, I see it's only 4.4%, no wonder. Well, it sure wouldn't be a session brew for me. (504 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear golden color. The head is a finger high and eggshell in shade. The retention is quite poor and its texture is rough looking. Only a modicum of lacing is left on the glass.

S: Aromatically, it's rather dinky - not only is the hop profile muted, so is the malt backbone. There are some buttery touches; again, it's really faint. Its maltiness comes through more vividly once it opens up, but it's too little and too late.

T: Huh. This tastes cardboardy, there's no way around it. There are touches of grape around the middle and a mildly bitter finish - unfortunately it doesn't save it. I don't think it's super old, but it tastes pretty oxidized to me.

M: This is reasonably thick for only 4.4%. On the other hand, it isn't dry or crisp enough to go down effortlessly. Well carbonated, though, so it's not entirely undrinkable.

O: This one is meh city. Not only is it not what I want from the style, the cardboard taste kills it even further. With Pilsner Urquell so readily available, I see absolutely no reason to return to this. (1,085 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Ouch. Apple juice colored with a white, wet head that pops and fizzes like soda. Smell of bitter hop, pine, and skunk. Mouthfeel is slick, kinda watery. Head disappears quickly and laces not at all. Taste is mostly bitter, and skunky Bud-esque, right through to the aftertaste. Poured out half the bottle. (305 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not really all that impressed with this one. Pretty boring looking, mass produced appearence that some would call the color of "real" beer. See through pale golden with little head and almost no stick. The mouth feel is light and the flavors cloying, leaving a sticky sweet residue of skunk. Quite beer-less in flavor, more adjunct, metalic, bitter tinny tasting than anything. The finish is long and cloying so have food on hand to wash the flavors back. (455 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -25.4%

500ml Bottle. Awesome label.

App: True gold with fluffy, white 2 finger head

Smell: Caramel malt and nothing but. Not what i look for in a pils, especially a czech one.

Taste: Greeted by the caramel malt. Next follows a bit of a chemical taste. Ends with a sharp, burning hop bitterness from those czech hops. A rather light flavor.

Has the mouthfeel of a cheap american lager: light but sticky.

Not a great beer, but i'd have this over alot of others. (458 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -25.1%

A: beautiful clear well carbonated deep golden beer topped by a fairly large white head. These are the prerequisites for the style. The retention is average at best and leaves a nice ring of foam.

S: The aroma has a hint of sweet cereal malt and some corn like sweetness as well. The hops have the necessary noble musk but not the spicy and floral Saaz notes so cherished in the Czech Pils.

T: Easy drinking watery and mild on the malt and hops flavors. The bitterness is smooth and not harsh as required but the other flavors are just too mild to impress. Appropriately no fruity yeast esters.

M: Light bodied, average head retention. Well carbonated and gassy

D: Just an OK Czech Pils. Easily sessionable and would pick it over the run of the mill American Macro lager or Pils (782 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

500ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

pours a very light golden color with a small white head with a bit of lacing. Nose is pilsner malt and a bit of light hoppiness.

Taste is kinda weird, it's got a kind of mustiness to it. There is some maltiness to it but honestly it's not that great. Mouthfeel is light and smooth with a small hop bite. But theres just some weird off taste that I can't explain that's turning me off. (426 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

Part of a new series titled "Reaper Does Blind Tastings of Assorted Pale Lagers."

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours a darker yellow than the other pilsners of the night. This beer pours more of a dark goldenrod, almost like a Dijon mustard color. Not much foam, but whatevs.

I'm finding out after the fact that this is a Czech pils. It certainly doesn't smell or taste like one. This beer smells almost entirely of malts. I thought it was a bock at first, what with its soft grape bubblegum aromas and significant breadiness. It's like a diet malt liquor in some ways. Totally not style-appropriate, but potentially interesting.

The flavor departs quite significantly from the nose. It's still malt-heavy upfront, with lots of musty, dusty pils malt. Very little ester on the palate. The finish proves that, yes, there are hops in this Czech pils after all: a bracing metallic bitterness attacks the whole tongue. It is unpleasantly metallic, like eating rust.

The mouthfeel is standard-issue for the style. If you're worrying that the body would be syrup-thick since the malts are so strong on the nose and tongue then fret not; it's still a thin-bodied beer. Overall, this is not a good pils. It is way, way too malt-forward, especially for a pilsner in the Czech tradition. What a weird beer. (1,314 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a clear amber with no head. Nose is like dirty grains. Flavor carries a slight body and then goes metallic on me real quick. I have a feeling this might be drain pour very soon. Feel has a nice bubble on it, but a thin liquid feel. Overall. Not very good. Wouldn’t suggest it and not sure it is even worth trying. Pass. (326 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a clear, light golden color with a decent head that fades to a thin layer pretty quickly. Slight musty malt aroma. A little grassy too. Metallic mineral taste with a bitter bite. The bitterness seems more from the mettalic character than hops. Mouthfeel is slightly thin, carbonation good. Not a bad deal at .99 a bottle, but I can't recommend this beer. Spend a little more for a better product. (402 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from bottle into pilsener glass.

A - Straw yellow, very little head but decent carbonation, very bubbly.

S - Grass

T - Very light, The beer has a very earthy taste which is not always a good thing. I taste some type of adjunct(whether its actually there or not) something about this beer is reminiscent of Pabst.

M - Not as crisp as I'd expect, I wish there was a little more carbonation

D - Overall an unoffensive beer but certainly not a great beer. I'll finish the bottle but won't buy again, although if it was given to me I wouldn't refuse it. It was $1.69 for a 16.9oz bottle so I figured I had nothing to lose. (629 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -20.7%

16.9 oz bottle. Poured a clear golden with no real head and no lacing. Aroma is faintly of hops and little else. Taste is a disappointment very little carbonation, weak and watery thin mouthfeel. Some hop bitterness in the finish but very little else. If I didn't know better I'd think this was just another macro beer! (319 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a crystal clear, hay like gold, topped with a two finger puffy white head, did not lace at all. Full of tiny streams of bubbles.
Grain and grass aroma, some lemon zest.
Grainy, biscuit, grass, and citrus zest in the taste. Weird apricot/toffee aftertaste.
Light to medium bodied, I wouldn't bother trying it again. (323 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

I poured this cheap looking beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer had a nice golden color and that was all that was nice. The smell was slightly sour and I thought the taste was sour or flat also. The head was nonexistant as was any lacing. Very poor quality beer and I will not buy again. (296 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

Crystal clear, bright yellow-amber. The head is average in size, somewhat frothy, not all that long-lived and leaves almost no lace. The aroma is spicy-musky, an aroma that I usually associate with noble hops. When less than fresh, it's a smell that reminds me of a skunk's scent, although I don't believe that this particular beer is actually skunked.

Nothing special on the palate. It tastes like grain with the aforementioned noble hop aroma translated into less than fresh noble hop flavor. There's also a biting bitterness that borders on quinine-like and an underlying metallic flavor. For all of that, it is drinkable. Calling it enjoyable, though, is going a bit far.

I've heard so many good things about Czech beer, but Rebel is almost certainly not one that aficionados have in mind when praising the brewmasters from that country. (849 characters)

Rebel from M욻anský Pivovar Havlíčkův Brod, A.S.