Join our email list →

Arizona, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale | 5.70% ABV

Beer added by: LXIXME on 03-25-2014

2.63/5  rDev -21%

I dont often write a review unless I wish to get very detailed in the layers I find in a beer but, to be quite honest, this was terribly one dimensional. It is a very nice looking beer; probably the best representation of the style I have experienced as far as looks go. Everything else was lacking with the exception of a nice full mouthfeel. Not very flavorful. Would be refreshing on a hot Tuscon day, but there are certainly better options available.

3.26/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a gorgeous red brown with a light haze and scant light tan head, settles to a non-sticky ring... generally appropriate for Scottish ale in my experience.

Aroma is malt, toffee with a little wet golden retriever. A spicy note (Fuggles hops?) and dates as it warms

Good solid malty backbone, hops totally appropriate to the style (not noticeable, other than a hint of spiciness in the aftertaste). Nothing off, not a lot going on compared to iconic Scottish ales. Then again, what is the chance of finding peat in Tuscon.

Mouthfeel seems oddly watery given the decent malt backbone and the huge sweetness.

Overall a decent Scot. The aroma and mouthfeel are the weak points, but neither is "bad" or out of bounds for the style, just there are other beers in the style I prefer. Not a style I drink frequently, and I can think of a couple in the style I'd grab over Rojo if my wallet was willing, but really not a bad brew at all.

Barrio Rojo from Barrio Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.