Lone Peak IPA - Lone Peak Brewery

pDev: n/a
Lone Peak Brewery visit their website
Montana, United States

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 07-15-2009

Our India Pale Ale is straw/amber in color and is characterized with a higher level of alcohol and hops. Almost two pounds of hops per barrel reminds you with every sip that this is an IPA. The result is a rich, intense beer with bitterness in perfect balance with residual malty sweetness.
3.82/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I love trying new IPA's and this one wasn't great but I wouldn't turn it down or shy away from recommending it to another IPA fan. Pours with a thin head with good lacing. Smells faintly hoppy with a little grain. Tastes very similar to Moose Drool. A heavy caramel taste with a slight hop hit on the back end. Overall I'm glad I tried it but probably wouldn't buy it again. (374 characters)

3.7/5  rDev n/a

a nice clear amber pour with 2 fingers of off white fluffy head.. GREA amounts of lacing. smells like a hoppy forest, tons of piney hop smell with floral hop smells as well as a very bitter sap type smell.. kind of a burnt caramel. very bitter up front with a yeasty/malty backbone. not really a significant taste i can put my tongue on, it's mostly just a bitterness flavor reminiscent of putting a cigarette out on my tongue. medium bodied, feels slightly boozy on the lips and then gets sticky form lacing.. moderate carbonation. this is not really a great beer.. just because it's bitterly hoppy doesn't make it a GOOD ipa. it's not entirely bad either as it's a first encounter of its kind. ... and i thought stone was a bit absurd with their bitterness! (759 characters)

1.96/5  rDev n/a

Had in tap after a great powder ski day at Moonlight Basin on new years eve. Served in a Bozeman pint glass at the Moonlight Lodge.

Not very hoppy. Terrible aftertaste. Color and mouthfeel are average and aroma is vaugly hoppy.

Very disapointing and not recommended. (269 characters)

3.37/5  rDev n/a

Picked this up at a random grocery store in Montana. I'm shocked that I'm only the fourth person to review this?!? anyway...

A - Deep deep ruby, almost brown. A rather aggressive pour can't get much more than a half finger of head that dissipates pretty quickly. This might be the most cloudy IPA I've ever seen...

S - Citrus hop aromas are pretty mild, it smells a lot more like a red ale to me. Bready malt aromas are balanced nicely.

T - Hm. Bitterness is definitely there, it seems to be a mix of acrid toasted malt bitterness as well as hop bitterness. Citrus flavors are much more apparent in the flavor than the nose. Sweet toffee finish.

M - pretty solid, nothing to complain about.

O - An ok beer, but definitely not an IPA I would go for again. There is just something off about it... maybe the yeast, maybe the big malt flavors taking away from the hops? This reminds me a lot of some american-style barleywines. (928 characters)

3.92/5  rDev n/a

Received from Sholle via the Noob BIF #5 (I'll try to provide a picture for the profile too)

Bottled on 5/12/11

22 oz bottle into a glass receptacle designed for drinking out of.

6.25% ABV per the bottle.

A) Couldn't pour it without a cloud of dense white head forming in the glass, but it could just be my eagerness. Ruby/brownish in color, eventually a thin white head clings to the glass after awhile.

S) Sweet, not boozy, no hops but malty.

T) You can taste the hops that weren't on the nose, but it's still a malty/hoppy blend... I would say similar to a Bell's Two-hearted ale, but this has more of a sweet barleywine flavor to it... it's actually quite pleasant because it resembles a barleywine after the alcohol bit has faded.

M) Lightly carbonated, and somewhat "sticky sweet"

O) Enjoyable.... Perhaps not the best example of an IPA, but whatever category this beer happens to fall into, it's a very enjoyable drink! (935 characters)

2.77/5  rDev n/a

Bottled on 5/12/11. Poured into a Stone IPA glass.

Appearance: Pours a pretty hazy copper color with amber and orange highlights. About 1.5" of off-white head forms that has awesome retention and lacing. High carbonation. Great looking beer.

Smell: Malty. Lots of caramel....some dank-ish hops too, and citrus, but nothing real impressive.

Taste: Lots of caramel malts. Backed by some hop bitterness and a hint of citrus...but that's about it. Very malty, pretty unimpressive.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Just under medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. Very nice, smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Overall, wasn't a huge fan. Way too malty with nothing to back. I'll be in Big Sky next month and will be stopping by Lone Peak. Will be looking to give this another try on-tap. (773 characters)

4.05/5  rDev n/a

Brenda and I drove like Methed-Up Truck Drivers to get to Big Sky ... I had to catch BeerTwinkie (Spencer) and still make it to Bozeman Brewing before 8:00 PM.

We looked around the brewpub and took in the fantastic atmosphere while I had a pint of their pretty righteous IPA... It was poured into a big "Guiness" style pint with a nice head and descent lace.. the brew is a cloudy lite orangey/gold... Cloudy may be a bit of an understatement... I noticed a few tiny (2 millimeter square) green hoppy bits in it... but I say good.. it adds to the overall atmosphere.

The nose was a pretty rough hoppiness just barely balanced by a lite pale malt presence... got a bunch of citrus and some background grassy hops... If the nose is right, then this is gonna be a fairly unapologetic hop bomb.

Mmmm... Nose was right... Pithy citrus hops.. again still a bit of grassy hops too... the bitterness is pretty high even for an AIPA... the malts act more as a hop delivery device right square into the middle of my palate... The finish does sorta drop off a tad quick.. the body and carbonation are exactly where they should be.

Overall... My first brew from Lone Peak was a bit of a surprise.. I almost never expect brews of this caliber from such a new brewery... but I am impressed... I personally would want a little more malt balance with the bitterness just to sorta dial in the drinkability and tone back the initial harshness.. but still this is a pretty classy brew.

Anyway... I loved the atmosphere of this brewery... I can see it being the PERFECT place after a long day on the hill... Tons of wood and it just screams "Montana Resort" .. customers ook like they are having fun... We didn't have time to order any food, but what I did see was appetizing and smelled very good. The brewery portion of the building looked like it was made to order.. very well organized with everything a place and a place for everything. Spencer was the perfect host and I just wish I had more time to hang out... Check this place out; you won't be disappointed.. It is only about 2 miles up the hill from the main road... Thanks again Spencer... your generosity will not be forgotten. (2,185 characters)

Lone Peak IPA from Lone Peak Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.