2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Choulette Framboise - Brasserie La Choulette

La Choulette FramboiseLa Choulette Framboise

Brasserie La Choulette visit their website
France

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-09-2003)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 79 | Reviews: 58 | Show All Ratings:
Onibubba

Kentucky

2.45/5  rDev -35.9%

Wow. All I can say is, What happened to my bottle? Smell is heavy with cooked vegetables - carrots and peas. Overwhelmingly disgusting and leads to a drainpour.

Accidents happen, and the reviews for this beer seem quite good, but at over 10.00 a bottle, I feel mistakes must be mentioned when they occur.

I've tried to be fair with other aspects of this beer, but the smell was the worst I have have ever experienced in a beer.

02-04-2008 13:55:50 | More by Onibubba
Contra

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

I love the idea of fruit beers, but they're generally poorly done. When I saw this beer on sale, I had to try it out. Fortunately, it did not disappoint in the least.

The aroma is sweet, very strawberry/raspberry, almost rhubarb like. Flavor is well balanced - not sticky sweet, but rather mellow. There's little to say about the appearance, just a murky brown color with almost no visible carbonation. Not to knock it, there just isn't anything worth mentioning.

Overall, one of the best fruit beers I've ever had. Of course, that's fairly limited, since I'm hesitant to try them. Very tasty.

12-21-2007 01:07:13 | More by Contra
erica

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer pours a dark red-purple with a small bright pink head which quickly fizzles out to leave what looks like a man-in-the-moon face layer of tiny bubbles. It is cloudy. A good looking beer.

Smells like fresh raspberries. A big raspberry in your face! Sweet-tart like the fruit and a bit funky like a saison. Very refreshing. Kept putting my nose in the glass with this one, it just smelled soooo good. Tasted great too, very fresh. Each sip was a burst of frehsness and berries, mixed with a grassy outdoorsy funky taste to it in the finish. Like this beer was picked from the raspberry bush just hours ago. It was a little too sweet for my preferences though, not like a Lindeman's, because the finish was dry and it wasn't too sugary, but not even close to a Boon or Cantillon.

Mouthfeel was very carbonated but not thin. Not syrupy either, which was nice since it was a bit on the sweet side. Still, I drank this on a very hot day so it was oh-so refreshing, and I would definitely drink this again if I find it.

07-03-2006 15:39:38 | More by erica
TaySuth

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Pinkish-red in color. Pours a nice two finger head although it quickly recedes leaving behind minimal lacing.

Smell: Great aroma of raspberries although it is balanced with some grain and yeast character. Very inviting.

Taste: Very complex flavor. Malt hits first quickly followed by a great raspberry taste. Very nice flavor from the yeast throughout. Rather hoppy as well yet without the bitterness. Really good taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation, not too carbonated. Body is light but not in a bad way.

Overall: Very enjoyable framboise with a very good flavor and smell. I will definitely pick up another bottle if I see it.

02-16-2012 01:25:27 | More by TaySuth
Cascadia

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

It was a hot day, and I thought a nice framboise would be nice and refreshing, so I picked this one up. Pours a dark cherry color with a small head that quickly goes south. Smells just like raspberry jam. Taste is very pleasant, with raspberries, of course, being the strongest flavor, but not as completely over-poweringly fruity as some other framboise ales I've tried have been. Don't think I'd every want more that one, MABYE two of these in one sitting, but it's great on a hot day poured over ice. Good choice for the style.

06-17-2007 21:00:17 | More by Cascadia
getgetgettleman

3.63/5  rDev -5%

Reviewed from notes of 2/26/11

A = Deep redish to orange hue. 2 finger froth with marbeled lacing. Good carbonation.

S = Rasberry jam, honey, and chocolate.

T = Fruit heavy. Chocolate and fruit truffle like. Oats.

M = The bubbly carbonation adds a fruit spritzer like quality. Light and bubbly on the front with a hint of citrus. Dry on the finish.

O = The rasberry tone reminds be of a spring beer. Yet the flavors remind me of a Christmas meal. Good choice for a special occasion but not a repeatable drinker.

03-27-2011 16:03:37 | More by getgetgettleman
rattech

4.6/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance: Almost purple, a reddish brown. A head quickly forms then dissipates. The color is wine like and was unexpected.

Smell: Sweet and raspberry jam. The smell alone makes me want to drink it.

Taste: Alcohol, raspberry, but not very sweet, bitter, or sour (the taste is very balanced). I am used to Lindman’s so this is a nice change of pace for me. Nothing particularly calls out to me, but as it warms up the bitterness begins to come out, it almost tastes like a raspberry leaves. It reminds me very much of a red wine diluted with a malt based liquid, and there is a “burnt rubber” note that is strangely not unappealing. I could see serving this with the main course of a dinner. I really enjoy the experience of drinking this beverage.

Mouthfeel: The body is not thin, but not exactly thick and the carbonation shines when testing for the mouthfeel, there are many tiny bubbles.

Drinkability: I am already past my first glass. This is a beverage that is so unbelievably balanced, which makes it seem boring. However, this balance is temperature dependant. When cold, it is bland and boring, as it warms it becomes more balanced, and as it approaches room temperature the bitterness and earthy tastes begin to shine. It reminds me of red wine, raspberry tea, beer, and fresh raspberries all at the same time. I need to make a dinner that revolves around this beverage; it should go phenomenal with rosemary.

02-12-2007 04:16:04 | More by rattech
Faustgeist

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a dark amber and drops noticible sediment.

The carbonation is tight, champagne-like.

The Head is lingering but falls after 6-7 minutes to an open lace.

The nose is a pleasant cherry/rasberry sour with hints of hops on the tail, While the taste is bright with berry, yet surprisingly dry. In fact, my palate was detecting no residual sugars at all, oh, how well hidden they must be. ha!

The mouthfeel almost over carbonated, seeming to puch the liquid out of my mouth... rushed the finish.

And the finish. Lingering with bitter, hoppy notes, fruit certainly there, but not as strong as in the nose.

Conclusions? A nice alternative to high sugar framboise. I enjoyed my first 750ml quite a bit and shall return another bottle in a few weeks.

Best,