Chicken Killer Barley Wine - Santa Fe Brewing Company

good

Santa Fe Brewing Company visit their website
New Mexico, United States

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

Chicken Killer Barley Wine is the revolutionary beer that will someday define America's unique Barley Wine style. It is brewed with twice the ingredients of the Santa Fe Brewing Company's other beers, and only half the usual amount of liquid is extracted from these ingredients. This makes one substantial beer. At over ten percent alcohol, Chicken Killer is actually as substantial as wine, but this is not to say that it is difficult to drink. On the contrary; be careful with this one. The flavors of the beer are at first as overwhelming as the intense Santa Fe sun. But in the same way our sun gives us the unrivaled brilliant colors of Santa Fe, the potency of Chicken Killer gives us the remarkable spectrum of flavors that can be found in no other beer, in no other city. If you did not have the opportunity to try last year's vintage, come try this year's!

(Beer added by: amicar on 03-07-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chicken Killer Barley Wine Alström Bros

AsILayDying, Nov 04, 2013

Gatordaddy, Nov 18, 2011

Ranz, Aug 24, 2012

MaddDogg84, Apr 06, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +22.1%

Thanks to JVD for sending this along
Bottle over a year old poured into a few snifters produced a tan colored head that settled out to nothing. The color of the brew was a nice caramel or copper depending who you ask.

The aroma was nice and sweet the caramel malts are in the forefront now with some brown sugar thrown in for good measure. The flavor was great nice and sweet a true sipper and a great desert brew. Caramel candy came to mind, with some butterscotch flavor as well every one in a while. The mouthfeel was great as well, nice and syrupy with little carbonation, just the way I like my barleywine's.

I was impressed by the brew. I will assume the age did nothing but help it in my scores as well. There were no hops present in this thing at all and the alcohol was hidden extremely well by the flavors and aromas. I enjoyed every drop of my glass. I even saw a craft beer Noob grab the bottle to wring the last few drops from it. I guess we have a convert

joepais, Jun 14, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours a cloudyt reddish, orangish, brown with a nice thick and sticky head. Smells wonderfully sweet with a little hop citrus.
Taste is massive fruit, plums, raisins, dates, figs, citrus hops. Very nice carbonation and mouthfeel, slick and very creamy. I really like this one, just wish I could get more.

kirok1999, May 14, 2007
4.32/5  rDev +18%

hpthebull, Sep 09, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from bomber into vintage Jax mug. This is a stout, delicious and fairly complex beer. I am a fan of barleywines and must say this is probably the most balanced one I have ever had. Pours a beautiful amber red with a quickly dissolving 3 finger head. Pretty nice lacing. Tastes of honey and cherries with a biting but not unpleasant aftertaste of pure alcohol. Great mouth feel, almost a nectar. Smells mostly of cherries. This is one of the easiest to drink barleywines I've ever come across. About as close to a session beer as this style could ever be, not that that's saying much. Excellent, would buy again, cook with and even save a spot in the cellar for.

Snorlax, Sep 05, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

A: Pours a cloudy and dark amber brown color. A two finger beige head forms, but quickly recedes. Some patchy lace is left behind.
S: A big malty and fruity aroma. Some dark fruits. Bread, biscuit aromas. Some rum like alcohol is in the nose as well.
T: Malt up front. Dark fruits that follow the nose. A light hop twang as the taste lingers. This is a nice tasting barleywine.
M/D: A medium body that is kind of over carbonated for the style IMO. Just a touch of warming alcohol. Though this is a great beer to sip on.

This is a very surprising hit for me. Lots of wonderful malt, and the drinkability can't be beat for the style. This ranks as one of my favorite barleyines now.

champ103, Oct 20, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

This is my third bottle of this beer but my first barley wine and I'm curious if they are all this easy to drink. It pours a hazy amber or burnt orange color with a one finger off white, creamy head. Smell is sweet, barley and a hint of alcohol. Taste to me, is a "brown" on steroids or an American Strong with more alcohol. I think it is well rounded though. Just remarkable in the mouth. It is sooo hard to believe this is 10% abv. Drink ability...now here is where we need to talk....I have tried many10+abv's in my time, ie. Double Bastard, 120 minute ipa, and quite a few Russian Imperial Stouts, but none of these were as easy to drink as this. It is scary to me that this beer is so good and so easy to drink. If I could afford it I would make this my session beer and pass out enjoying it every night!!! Thanks to Rim Liquor for finding this for me!

azdback, Nov 09, 2007