Imperial Java Stout - Santa Fe Brewing Company

Santa Fe Brewing Company visit their website
New Mexico, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: goochpunch on 03-31-2007

This is the kind of beer that gives the word "stout" a reputation. Extra generous quantities of barley malt, followed by vigorous fermentation leaves this "imperial" heavy weight with 8% alcohol A.B.V. and a body as full as chocolate bread pudding. A complimentary and complex array of bitter notes comes form potent American hops, earthy British hops, black-roasted malts and, of course, coffee. Santa Fe Brewing Company uses only top-quality ingredients like organically grown East Timor coffee beans blended with New Guinea coffee beans, locally roasted by O'hori's Coffee House. Its heavenly flavor and aroma can't be beat or imitated.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 797 | Reviews: 194
4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

4.73/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours pitch black with thick, brown foamy head with excellent lacing on side of glass. Strong roasted coffee aroma with hints of dark chocolate. Taste is very much of the roasted coffee variety. There is some dark chocolate taste in the beginning, but the coffee taste very much overwhelms it at the end. There is an excellent bitter aftertaste. Excellent stout!!

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I almost looked past this stout, because it was in a can. But, I am glad that I didn't.

Pours with a nice, somewhat minimalist head. Just right. Tastes of coffee, expresso really, and gives subtle nasal notes to the same.

I really enjoyed this stout. Definitely not a session beer, at not for least for me.

If I had a wish, it would be for this much flavor, and just a tad bit less abv, and I could enjoy a few at a time, without issue.

Still a great coffee stout.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer! Got a 6 pack on sale and really glad I picked it.

Did not pour it, drank from the can so look and smell are just educated guesses (I suppose it looks like a dark stout). Smell from the can is ok, stouts really aren't the greatest smelling imo but this stout you can smell some nice coffee aroma and a complex but good blend. Taste is very good with very nice feel. Very good beer and stouts are not really my thing other than here and there and in the fall maybe like October (I'm not big on October style heavily malted/barley flavored beer, stouts are ok though, have some complexity to them).

4.61/5  rDev +14.4%

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had my doubts coming out of a can. This was a gift from my next door neighbor. I was very impressed with the color, the pour, most importantly the taste. This is a beer that I would drink again.

4.56/5  rDev +13.2%

4.52/5  rDev +12.2%

Another incredible CAN from Blargimus in support of The CANQuest (TM)! It really pays to advertise and my ISO post caused a lot of people to offer up all kinds of new CANs. I am so excited that I am downright giddy ...

From the CAN: "before noon [coffee cup and saucer depicted] not for use with donuts."; "after noon [beer mug depicted] ale with coffee beans." The best part was that the opening was aligned with the "after noon" side of the CAN.

The Crack revealed another nearly brimful CAN and the inverted Glug had both a cascading quality as well as producing two fingers of dense, deep-tan head with excellent retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown with limited light penetration and ruby highlights at the edges. As the head finally dissipated, I was ready! Nose had a heady coffee roastiness and I began to wonder how it might actually work with donuts. Mouthfeel was thick, full and creamy with a bitter coffee flavor not much behind what I brew up every morning. I am a retired US Navy sailor and not only do I like my java hot and black, but it should also have the consistency of mud. Man, but this was like a jolt to the CNS at 2023 (EDT)! Finish was equally bitter and I was contemplating trying to score a donut somewhere just to test the theory. My heart began banging against my breastbone and I knew I was alive. Not many beers will do that to me. My my my. YMMV.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Imperial Java Stout from Santa Fe Brewing Company