Imperial Java Stout - Santa Fe Brewing Company

Imperial Java StoutImperial Java Stout

Santa Fe Brewing Company visit their website
New Mexico, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

This is the kind of beer that gives the word "stout" a reputation. Extra generous quantities of barley malt, followed by vigorous fermentation leaves this "imperial" heavy weight with 8% alcohol A.B.V. and a body as full as chocolate bread pudding. A complimentary and complex array of bitter notes comes form potent American hops, earthy British hops, black-roasted malts and, of course, coffee. Santa Fe Brewing Company uses only top-quality ingredients like organically grown East Timor coffee beans blended with New Guinea coffee beans, locally roasted by O'hori's Coffee House. Its heavenly flavor and aroma can't be beat or imitated.

(Beer added by: goochpunch on 03-31-2007)

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Another incredible CAN from Blargimus in support of The CANQuest (TM)! It really pays to advertise and my ISO post caused a lot of people to offer up all kinds of new CANs. I am so excited that I am downright giddy ...

From the CAN: "before noon [coffee cup and saucer depicted] not for use with donuts."; "after noon [beer mug depicted] ale with coffee beans." The best part was that the opening was aligned with the "after noon" side of the CAN.

The Crack revealed another nearly brimful CAN and the inverted Glug had both a cascading quality as well as producing two fingers of dense, deep-tan head with excellent retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown with limited light penetration and ruby highlights at the edges. As the head finally dissipated, I was ready! Nose had a heady coffee roastiness and I began to wonder how it might actually work with donuts. Mouthfeel was thick, full and creamy with a bitter coffee flavor not much behind what I brew up every morning. I am a retired US Navy sailor and not only do I like my java hot and black, but it should also have the consistency of mud. Man, but this was like a jolt to the CNS at 2023 (EDT)! Finish was equally bitter and I was contemplating trying to score a donut somewhere just to test the theory. My heart began banging against my breastbone and I knew I was alive. Not many beers will do that to me. My my my. YMMV.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a can into a tulip. Nice superdark tone, light tan head. Didn't get as much coffee on the nose as I would have liked, but this got better as it warmed. The taste was much better. strong coffee without overwhelming. nice balanced malts with a touch of hop bitter. Overall very solid beer, especially at 8%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to my GF for bringing back a can for me from her US trip
12 oz can poured into a Great Divide Tulip (total Mountain Time Zone thing)

A-- Poured a dark brown, near black color. Settled jet black. Just a touch of ruby light penetrating this. One finger of light mocah colored head. Settled to a thin layer of light brown film and decent collar. Slight bit of head retention but more or less a layer of film. Nice spotty lacing with this.

S-- Touches of roast, brown sugar, and chocolate. Otherwise, a lot of fresh roasted coffee. Nice nose. Quite appealing and a nice pick me up nose to it. Something I would want to drink at 7 AM.

T-- Coffee and dark chocolate. Almost equal amounts of chocolate and coffee. Quite fresh tasting. Touches of rolled oats and brown sugar again but really well done on the coffee part.

M-- Solid stuff. Bold, rich and thick. Medium bodied and light medium carbonated. Dry chocolate and coffee finish with just flashes of the acidity and bitterness. Just touches of brown sugar in mid and back again to smooth out the coffee and chocolate. Long lasting roasted coffee and bitter baking chocolate finish. Nice.

O-- Well rounded beer. Well hidden alcohol and easy to drink. Damned tasty beer and better to have at 7 AM than a long black. One good coffee stout.

4.93/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass from a can.

Look: The beer is an espresso bean black with a faint ruby hue on the edges through the light. An oatmeal colored head dissipates quickly to a wisp of bubbles. A good amount of webbed lacing sticks to the glass, despite the high ABV.

Smell: Delicious burnt malt aromas abound here, with bitter chocolate and some dark roasted coffee.

Taste: I'm really impressed with this. A nice bitter chocolate dominates this beer, and it blends well with the malts. It's just so dark and rich tasting, with a drier espresso coffee finish. Not cloying, and not even a dessert beer in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth, rich, and on the thicker side. Dry.

Overall: Really delicious, and the alcohol is hidden rather well. Oh, you can feel it, believe me, but you can hardly smell it or taste it. Dangerous beer, as it tastes so good.

The beer pours a dark brown color with an off-white head. The aroma features a lot of coffee, as well as a hint of chocolate and some roasted malt. The flavor is very similar. I get a lot of mocha coffee notes, as well as some roasted malt and vanilla. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice chocolate stout. Glad I got a chance to try it.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured like used motor oil, black and opaque, and not thick like some stouts. Cocoa head about 1/8 inch thick dissipated rapidly. Smells like chocolate and coffee. I know this is not too creative, but it is all I could come up with. Taste: chocolate cake, chocolate covered coffee beans. The coffee was not as prominent as I had expected. I enjoyed this. It was somehow refreshing, which I do not expect from a stout.

I’ll have another.