State Pen Porter - Santa Fe Brewing Company

State Pen PorterState Pen Porter

Santa Fe Brewing Company visit their website
New Mexico, United States

American Porter |  6.40% ABV

A trademark beer of the Santa Fe Brewing Company’s master brewer, Ty Levis, the State Pen Porter has every reason to be one of his favorites. It is flavorful, swimming with notes of nuts and chocolate; it is drinkable, so drinkable that it is almost as if pint after pint were drinking itself.

(Beer added by: UberWasser on 04-14-2007)

ldhughes3, Jul 14, 2014

Steamer, Jul 12, 2014
4.34/5  rDev +13.6%

This is another of my local, in-person trader, tone77's cache of bottles. I am not a frequent purchaser of bottles, but he knows to keep me focused, otherwise it would be all CANs, all the time. He also brings me widely varied styles, which is also good for this self-avowed hophead. Another life-long passion of mine is reading mystery, crime and detective novels and stories and I am immersed in the Akashic Books Noir series, so this fits right in.

The beer fit right into my glass, producing a pseudo-cascade that was eminently visible as it settled. I initially had two fingers of dense, light-tan head with good retention that began to produce some nice lacing as it slowly fell. Color was a deep, dark-brown with garnet highlights (SRM = > 34, < 44) and NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of dark chocolate, light smoke, roasted nuts, and pine hops. For some reason, I tend to favor porters over stouts when I am faced with that type of choice, and this would be a good example. I just like the complexity of flavors in porters and now my mouth was beginning to water. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. The taste was nutty and chocolaty, kind of like a Reese's peanut butter cup, or chocolate peanut butter ice cream. Wow! Definitely not something that I would have picked up on my own, but a pleasant surprise all the same. Finish was rather sweet and I would probably recommend it more as a dessert beer than as a staple. Still, a very nice example of a Porter.

woodychandler, Jul 10, 2014

Fettpopps, Mar 16, 2014

bkeller04, Feb 10, 2014

Wortman1998, Feb 02, 2014

kvgomps, Jan 22, 2014

Other than the one brewed by Bells, this is my favorite Porter out there. Wonderful aroma, taste, aftertaste, you name it. The only problem is that Santa Fe Brewing doesn't sell their beer in Georgia, yet. I say yet, hopefully, because if they did, I would buy it. For not, however, I haul this and their Imperial Java Stout, and Happy Camper IPA back to ATL in my checked luggage. Please Santa Fe Brewing company, please start selling your beer in GA. At least in Atlanta!! Have a great day everyone.

Greenchileman, Jan 21, 2014
4.19/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the delicious La Choza restaurant in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

The beer arrived with a great, frothy, khaki-colored head that had some crystal-like radiance within it. Lots of sticky lace stuck to the sides of the glass as the beer dissipated. The liquid was pitch black and opaque.

A good nose on this one, albeit not as complex as I'd hope for. I got coffee and dark roasted malt notes, followed by sweet notes of vanilla and toffee.

The taste is a step up, however, as all the above-mentioned characteristics make their way around my palate, with a few additional notes. My tongue first detects the dark roasted malts, then the sweet vanilla and toffee, but then then the coffee and some brown sugar linger on the back of my tongue.

State Pen Porter is smooth enough, has some creamy aspects, but is a bit more carbonated than I'd like. The beer finishes sweet, which I liked.

I think this is a tasty beer and certainly one I could go to regularly. It's smooth and easy-drinking, yet has plenty of flavor. Plus, there's enough complexity to keep me interested. I endorse.

ONovoMexicano, Jan 17, 2014