State Pen Porter - Santa Fe Brewing Company

Santa Fe Brewing Company visit their website
New Mexico, United States

American Porter |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: UberWasser on 04-14-2007

A trademark beer of the Santa Fe Brewing Company’s master brewer, Ty Levis, the State Pen Porter has every reason to be one of his favorites. It is flavorful, swimming with notes of nuts and chocolate; it is drinkable, so drinkable that it is almost as if pint after pint were drinking itself.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Other than the one brewed by Bells, this is my favorite Porter out there. Wonderful aroma, taste, aftertaste, you name it. The only problem is that Santa Fe Brewing doesn't sell their beer in Georgia, yet. I say yet, hopefully, because if they did, I would buy it. For not, however, I haul this and their Imperial Java Stout, and Happy Camper IPA back to ATL in my checked luggage. Please Santa Fe Brewing company, please start selling your beer in GA. At least in Atlanta!! Have a great day everyone.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the delicious La Choza restaurant in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

The beer arrived with a great, frothy, khaki-colored head that had some crystal-like radiance within it. Lots of sticky lace stuck to the sides of the glass as the beer dissipated. The liquid was pitch black and opaque.

A good nose on this one, albeit not as complex as I'd hope for. I got coffee and dark roasted malt notes, followed by sweet notes of vanilla and toffee.

The taste is a step up, however, as all the above-mentioned characteristics make their way around my palate, with a few additional notes. My tongue first detects the dark roasted malts, then the sweet vanilla and toffee, but then then the coffee and some brown sugar linger on the back of my tongue.

State Pen Porter is smooth enough, has some creamy aspects, but is a bit more carbonated than I'd like. The beer finishes sweet, which I liked.

I think this is a tasty beer and certainly one I could go to regularly. It's smooth and easy-drinking, yet has plenty of flavor. Plus, there's enough complexity to keep me interested. I endorse.

3.72/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a pretty nice beer. This pours a nice dark brown color with a tan head. You have the nice smell of malts, caramel, and chocolate. Just like the smell, you can taste the malts, caramel and chocolate; what I think you should expect from a porter. Drinking the beer left a lingering taste in the mouth with some bitters at the end.

State Pen Porter from Santa Fe Brewing Company