Happy Camper IPA - Santa Fe Brewing Company

Happy Camper IPAHappy Camper IPA

good

Santa Fe Brewing Company visit their website
New Mexico, United States

A classic beer for those beer lovers who love their hops, Happy Camper IPA will take the Pepsi Challenge (or IPA challenge, as we say in New Mexico) against any other pretenders to the throne. Was it divine providence that made this beer the king of the IPA world? Was it a tireless pursuit of glory? No, this IPA has a top-secret recipe to thank for its success, and this meticulously formulated combination of several different hops combined with a very specific brewing process give Happy Camper IPA a spicy, citric, and floral infusion of hop character, which is masterfully counterbalanced with the full-bodied maltiness characteristic of the Santa Fe Brewing Company’s distinctive beers.

(Beer added by: indiapaleale on 08-18-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
quindog

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer is being hyped by the liquor store around the corner from me and the guys working there definitely know their IPAs so I gave it a shot. Oddly, they seem to be the only store in the area that is carrying it right now but maybe it will gain wider distribution soon. I will say right off the bat that this cost $6.30 a sixer, so the price is definitely right.

Poured into a 16 oz Avery strong beer festival glass (2009) with the shape of an imperial pint (one of my favorite standard beer glasses). Pours a light amber color.

Aroma was not quite as pungent as I would have hoped. The beer was lacking good aroma hops. But there was no mistaking this for anything but an IPA. Perhaps I'm looking for different hops than they use for the nose.

Taste was as expected - bitter, with only a little malt to support the bitterness. I would have loved a little more flavor hop presence. This beer saves all of it's hops for the bittering. It wasn't overly bitter, but the lack of flavoring hops left me wanting just a little more. Still, it is a solid brew.

Despite what may seem to be a lackluster review thus far, the beer was very drinkable. I found myself at the bottom of my glass pretty quickly and was reaching for another. Overall I think this beer has potential, but it hasn't been reached yet. It is a well crafted beer, it just needs some more floral hops at the end of the boil and/or some dry hopping. For me, I'd probably prefer some simcoe or amarillo in the mix.

But at $6.30 a six pack, I may just have to pick up another.

02-11-2011 15:23:02 | More by quindog
2xHops

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

The can was poured into a non-standard pint glass, but I gotta work with what I have. The appearance looked very good with a healthy foam rising and dissipating fairly quickly. It had copper color that looked lively.

The taste was the part that surprised me. While the beer has 6.6% ABV, it does not taste as hoppy as I thought it would with alcohol coming through strongly as you will see in other IPAs. I could taste the hops coming alive, but it isn't as coarse.

The mouthfeel is soft and long, and I feel like it's contradiction for an IPA. I had envisioned it to be more strong, but it still has the signature bitter aftertaste that lingers and lingers.

Overall, I'd buy this again. I think it's a good example of an IPA, especially when it comes in cans. It'll be a great addition to anybody's boating trips or even my tubing excursion I'm taking soon.

09-02-2011 03:26:39 | More by 2xHops
brewerburgundy

4.03/5  rDev +8%

12oz can, Boulevard tulip, no discernible freshness date.

Super clear amber beer with a very nice example of the standard off-white head. Initially there were three fingers of this. The retention is quite good, as is the lacing. I rarely, if ever, comment on packaging but the fact that this is in a can that is very simple, elegant, and identifiable bumps up the score.

Very minty and perfumed, earthy pine and grapefruit, abrasive, but not without a hearty caramel and biscuit backbone. This must be acceptably fresh because these hops are wonderfully resiny and juicy.

Caramel malt restrained by graininess begins things but is quickly submerged beneath moderate-high bitterness and hop flavors of earthy pine, grapefruit, sugary pears, rosemary, mint, tangerine, and peppery perfume. I'm being restrained not to give this a 4.5, I'm really digging it. A little drier and this would be a monster.

Creamy in the mouth and tending towards thick. The body is big.

I'd love for this to get dried out a bit. I like the malt bill and love the hopping but it's a little sweet for an IPA to do more than one at a time.

01-16-2011 23:02:51 | More by brewerburgundy
JMad

4.03/5  rDev +8%

I drank this from a pint glass...

The beer is a light murky copper/ brown color with at thin soapy off white head. It smells heavily of pine, grapefruit and sweet malt. The taste is very bitter up front with pine, citrus peel, with a hint of ginger and sweet malt. It is light/ medium with a silky carbonation and a super dry finish. This is an excellent IPA that hang with the best.

07-24-2011 07:04:41 | More by JMad
dcloeren

4.03/5  rDev +8%

Poured a very crisp and clear burnt orange with 2 fingers of mountainous off white head. Definitely got some lacing going down my glass.

The aroma is very pine forward and full of hops! Once it warms up a bit some orange zest shines through. It is very enticing!

I love the taste on this beer. It tastes like orange zest infused pine sap.

Medium bodied an appropriate amount of carbonation. Semi drying hop aftertaste... and it goes down oh so smooth!

Overall this is a great everyday IPA. I always keep a sixer of this in the fridge and I take at least one with me wherever it is that I'm going. Worth picking up in my opinion.

06-13-2012 23:16:54 | More by dcloeren
StoneTSR

4.03/5  rDev +8%

APPEARANCE: Copper and clear with a quarter-inch head rested on top and about half of it vanished immediately. The other half is still hanging around, but slowly thinning. Pretty strong lacing clung to the glass all the way around. I have a feeling that Santa Fe Brewing takes a lot of care with crafting their beers. The lacing is bumping this one from a 4 to a 4.5 in my book. Very well done.

SMELL: The Happy Camper's nose is noticeable immediately upon pouring. Without even putting my nose to the glass I am already getting floral and piney hops with a whiff of orange.

TASTE: The writing on the can says "Wiping your rear with a pine cone is about as rough as camping should get. That's why we invented this portable IPA in a can." Great quote, but also possibly some inspiration for the beer, there is a lot of pine in this one, and the malt builds throughout the glass, but all of that sweetness is balanced very, very nicely with some bitter citrus flavors. It ends up just a little on the sweet side, but this one is a winner. I didn't know what to expect going in, but when I move to Colorado next month this will enter the rotation as a go-to, solid IPA.

MOUTHFEEL: This is a big, full-bodied beer that has just enough carbonation to also make it nice and thirst quenching. It also leaves an exceptionally clean, palate-cleansing aftertaste.

OVERALL: Well, not a bad start for my first foray into New Mexican beer. It was a perfect fit for my chips and spicy queso dip and now my only regret is that I left CO with only one can. Can't wait to return.

05-26-2011 21:23:32 | More by StoneTSR
beergoot

4.01/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bold, expressive, pungent pine and grassy nose greets you at the pour. Thick, rocky, sticky head sitting atop a solid copper body. Hop bitterness from the get-go with a solid malt sweetness backbone. Medium bodied, clean, dry finish.

Bitter and sweet APA beer nirvana! This one has things nailed to the core. Flavor and feel are their for the hop heads and the malt lovers. Well-balanced with a bold complexity makes this beer a must-try IPA lovers.

09-29-2013 22:04:36 | More by beergoot

fiedler84

06-28-2012 01:59:37 | More by fiedler84
dbossman

Nebraska

A: Clear copper hue with a steady one-inch head; lacing is decent

S: Citrus and pine hop aromas up front with a solid, sweet bready malt base lingering underneath

T: Pine, herbs, grass, and citrus mingle up front with loads of pleasant bitterness that are followed by a slightly burnt yet sweet bready malt undertones

F: Medium body with oily, sticky texture

O: A real solid IPA: bitter up front, quickly followed by a sweet malt base--nice beer

10-22-2011 14:32:16 | More by dbossman

Oklahoma

11-22-2011 06:19:00 | More by Beertracker
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

12 oz can poured into a Central Waters tulip.
6.6% ABV, no date.
(Reviewed 06-07-11 - from notes)

Thanks for the brew Todd!

A - Beautifully clear rusty bronze in color with a dense two-finger off-white head. Good retention with patchy fingers of lace cling to the glass.

S - Resiny pine citrus floods the air with potency that can be smelled a foot away. Mildly tart fruity undertones could both be yeast esters or the hops. Nice exotic fruit nose. Good malt backbone and caramel notes.

T - Sweet caramel malt underlines piny resin hops and exotic melon with a dry, lightly bitter finish.

M - Medium-bodied but crisp and smooth with a nice balance and level dry hop bitterness.

O - On a scorcher like today, this beer, dispite it's higher alcohol content, is a refreshing IPA. Good drinkability.

12-31-2012 20:32:57 | More by BeerFMAndy
omegaman

02-15-2012 18:32:16 | More by omegaman
Another6Pack

11-22-2011 00:56:54 | More by Another6Pack
SHODriver

Louisiana

A: poured from a can into an IPA glass to a nice golden orange with a finger of off white head that is slow to fade and leaves excellent lacing
S: smells of citrusy hops, caramel and a hint of pine
T: taste is bright citrusy flavors with a hint of pine and a nice underlying caramel sweetness from the malts. swallow is more pine and citrus with a bit more caramel
M: this beer is on the lighter side of medium on the mouth with soft yet adequate carbonation and a oily refreshing finish from the hops
O: I wouldn't call it earth shattering but my goodness is it very drinkable. it might have just a little too much residual sweetness but it's still fantastic.

06-09-2014 02:48:34 | More by SHODriver