Wild Ale #6 (Bordeaux Series) - Santa Fe Brewing Company

Wild Ale #6 (Bordeaux Series)Wild Ale #6 (Bordeaux Series)

pDev: 15%
Santa Fe Brewing Company visit their website
New Mexico, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

Sour ale aged in Bordeaux barrels.

(Beer added by: GabrielM on 10-24-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.9/5  rDev +28.9%

1 bottle of 432, this batch was aged in Bordeaux barrels. Poured into a tulip.

A - looks almost identical to apple cider with a slightest bit of white head on top, which quickly dissipates. Beautiful color.

S - cherries, oak, apples, citrus, raspberries. The sweet/sour smell is very intense and refreshing.

T - extremely tart cherries right up front, which transition nicely into semi-sweet apples and a delicious grape and oak barrel presence. Refreshing and absolutely delicious.

M - very, very tart and great combination that lead to an extremely smooth finish.

D - I could literally drink this all night. A fantastic sour from Santa Fe Brewing and I feel very lucky to have one of the few bottled.

GabrielM, Oct 24, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +28.4%

Bottle shared with GabrielM
Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pours an amber orange color. Very little off white head.

S - A lot of apple and citrus. Some floral notes also come through.

T - Extremely sour. Sour apple, cherry, oak, some citrus. The first sip woke up all my taste buds.

M - Hits hard up front and then finishes nice and smooth. Medium amount of carbonation.

D - The massive sourness is balanced very well with the fruity notes.

I will definitely be having another one very soon.

DaveMarner, Oct 28, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +25%

A - Pours a clear dark amber with a nice head and lacing.

S - Lots of funk, yeast and an alcoholic bite with fruity wine notes and also a grain note like a fine bourbon would have.

T - The taste is a great example of a sour with lots of sour flavor that puckers the tongue. There is a cherry and grape note mixed with nail polish and horse blanket. Every sip is a punch to the tongue, as was mentioned "it hurts so good"

M/D - Mouthfeel is harsh and great on the tongue. There is a very dry and tingly finish. Great drinkable sour with great carbonation and flavor.

mwa423, Mar 12, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is very tart. I get a lot of lemons and vinegar notes. I also may get a little bit of cherry, but the tart acedic notes are what stands out.

The flavor is extremely sour. I get some lemons, apples and vinegar. The beer is very, very dry and makes your cheeks pucker to an extreme degree. I get a lot of vinegar in the flavor as well. One of the most sour beers I have ever drank.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Apr 29, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

Bottle. Really excited to try this 1 of only 432 bottle release (I taste the rarity already). The bottle pops with zero, and I mean ZERO pop. I was a little nervous about this but heard that this one wasn't very carbonated. The look is a reddish tan mahagony color with some slight haze, very cider like look. Holy cow, this things nose is insane. Lots of acetone (first and foremost), cherry, and apple. It does have some sort of underlying funk in the nose that I can't put my finger on, almost like old rubber or something like that. The taste is rip roaringly sour and tart, maybe one of the most I have had. However, the first characteristic I notice is the carbonation or I should say the lack there of. Starts with a pretty sweet flavor, moves to an acetone type sourness, and end actually pretty cleanly. Your mouth however is left puckered and chafed from the experience.
Be warned, this is one crazy, acidic, sour, tart beer. IF that is your bag then this is one to try. I will say a little carbonation would have been nice.

kbutler1, Nov 18, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Reviewed from notes from a couple of months ago. This bottle was graciously provided by D13Logan.

A - Pours a murky reddish-hued mahogany. It looks like a glass of red wine from across the room. Very still and flat. Only the slightest hiss came from the bottle after popping the cap. I think I might have seen a few bubbles as I poured, but no more. Seems like there's some disparity among the reviews regarding carbonation. No visible lacing.

S - SOUR. The nose is largely acidic and heavy on the vinegar. Light undertones of cherries, sour apples, and an oakiness, but they are definitely in the background. The sourness becomes more intense as the beer warms.

T - Yeah, this one's really sour. Fighting through the vinegar is a beautiful combination of ripe cherries, berries, and apples. With as sour as this beer is, it's safe to say that it's taking me awhile to get through my glass. As the beer warms, the acidity seems to increase exponentially. After each mouth puckering sip, my tongue and mouth just continue to salivate.

M - Medium body, zero carbonation, but the flatness works. Very smooth body. I want to say that there's a wine-like dryness on the finish, but like I already said, my mouth just salivates and quickly negates any dryness. Extremely sour.

D - When given this bottle, I was warned about how sour it is. Man, no kidding. This is the most sour beer that I've had, but it was extremely enjoyable and one that I'd drink over and over. Definitely recommended.

Disclaimer: I think this one really tore my stomach up and I attribute the horrible craps I had the following morning to this beer. Even given that experience, my score remains unaltered.

kevinv, May 07, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

I was warned that this was sour, but laughed it off as I assumed the person warning me thought I was a n00b. Served in a Lost Abbey Rastal Teku.

A - Hmmm...removing the cap didn't result in any audible hiss, and it seemed to come off very easily - hope this wasn't damaged in transit. Pours essentially flat, with a few bubbles that quickly disappear, leaving a very cider-esque hazy orange-red body.

S - When chilled it actually starts fairly sweet, with some odd Frito's corn chip character. I think there's still a little residual diacetyl which should clear out over time. However, once it's warm it's all nostril singing acetic vinegar, with some vinous character in there for good measure. There's some vague fruit aroma - sour cherry, sour apple, and so on, but it's in the periphery.

T - Holy acetobacter Batman. This is just barbaric. Huge lemon and white white vinegar, tart appleskins, underripe berries, sour grapes, sour cherries, sour patch kids, and anything else that contains the adjective sour.

M - No carbonation. Smooth medium body, with bone dryness, massive pucker, and enamel-stripping, stomach-melting acidity.

D - This reminds me a lot of '99 Belle Vue Sélection Lambic. From me this is high praise, but for many it will be way too intense. I don't really know how this will change over time, as I can't see how it could get more sour. A great way to scare away moochers!!

MasterSki, Nov 16, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

22oz bottle received from Greg in Oregon as part of a BIF. First I've heard of Santa Fe Brewing, but then again New Mexico is a state I've only been to once in the past 5 years. I read the previous reviews and I'm looking forward to seeing just how sour this can be.

It pours a murky/hazy dark reddish copper with a fine looking thin cap of off-white foam. Picture perfect. The aroma is kind of intense, not far from an aggressive vintage of Cantillon Kriek or Framboise, actually more vinegar than Cantillon but just as bracingly tart smelling. Actually a little scary.

It tastes about as acidic as anything I've tried before, enamel-etching and probably I'll get heartburn or something similar. Each taste brings momentary bursts of fruit before the overpowering sourness takes over. I'm thinking I get cherries or sort of berries, but it's fleeting. The acidity is the main thing, and I like it. Not something I want too often, and honestly I'm wishing I'd waited to open this with someone else to help finish it, but damn it's good. I'm trying to keep it cool to keep the vinegar in check.

Dry mouthfeel, how could it be anything else. It hurts a little but I keep drinking it. Extreme beer, very good, I believe I'll recommend it.

TurdFurgison, Nov 16, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

I got this beer in Secret Santa 2010 from GabrielM. Out of all the great beers Gabe sent me, I wanted to try this one the most.. Thanks Gabe.

Wild Ale #6 has a hazy, reddish orange body. The head is an off-white color and it is big and billowy. It leaves some nice lacing behind and has decent retention.

The aroma reveals a good bit of acidic tartness, with notes of both lemon and vinegar. Hints of barrel characteristics also surface.

A little bit of sourness surfaces right away, with a light, lemon-like bite to it. Next comes a little bit of wood and a distinctly dry character that reminds of red wine. In fact, it might actually be a note of bordeaux that I taste, as the vinous character becomes a little more persistent and red-grape flavored as I sip. Only tiny hints of candied sugar sweetness come from the malt, and they are buried in the background. The finish is powerfully sour, with the wine barrel making the sourness taste a good bit like balsamic vinegar. The balsamic flavor is more powerful in this beer than in any other beer that I have tried, but the sourness still overshadows it a little bit.

The body is medium to light, and the finish is slightly puckering.

Wild Ale #6 is definitely more sour than the majority of American Wild Ales out there, but not in an overwhelming way. With that said, the sour flavors are the main attraction here, with the wine and balsamic notes rounding things out nicely. The ABV is also fairly low for such a bold Wild Ale, which is nice. I like this one quite a bit and I would love to try the others in the series.

Hojaminbag, May 02, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle provided by Alex...Pours a light colored brown very similar to cider, low carbonation...The aroma is pretty tart, acidic, a lot of vinegar (super charged Rodenbach), some sweet cherries try to balance it, need some more....The taste is extreme tartness. I love super sours and never thought I'd come across one this pungent. Exterem vinegar, acid, a true pucker reaction. Lightly sweet...The feel is dry and wine like...You need several people to drink a bottle of this.

This is the most tart beer I've had. Its worth trying for sure but be prepared.

jrallen34, Nov 18, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Big thanks to Ben aka Hojaminbag for sharing this one with Deuane and myself. Bottle poured into a taster glass.

A - Pours murky brown with a fizzy, active, one finger tall white head leaving very light lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of dank funk, strong tartness, and some light wood from the barrels. This one, while still very high on the acidity, was not too overpowering. Pretty good.

T - Very tart pucker up front slowly giving way to a mix of dry must and vinegar. This one has quite a few similarities to a good red wine. Very dry with a light wood / barrel character throughout. The finish is a mix of tart sourness and dryness. This is not your everyday wild but it was a still very nice.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Very tart, both in the feel and the finish, lingering for some time on the pallet.

O - This one was very nice. This is not the sourest beer I have ever had but it still packs a pretty good punch of pucker. I am glad I finally got to try one of the wilds from Santa Fe. Thanks again Ben!

orangesol, May 09, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this.

Poured into LA Stemware.

Pours absolutely no head. Color is a hazed mahogony ruby.

Aroma: It smells decent, but I do get an odd flavor here. Maybe cardboard shoe box. It has raspberries, cherries, and oak. It is mouthwatering tart. Very sour with some vinegar notes. Has a touch of funk as well. Not bad.

Taste: Holy sourness and tartness. This has to be the sourest/tartest beer I have ever had. Just crazy. It has a light nail polish remover flavor, but then it is all sour cherries, tart raspberries, oak, vinegar, and funk flavors. This is just crazy.

Mouthfeel: Mouth puckering goodness. My eyes are clinching together at each sip. This beast is crazy sour/tart and I could not possibly repeat that enough times. Lighter bodied with a low amount of carbonation. Ends surprisingly clean.

Overall, this beer is crazy in all the right ways. I cannot believe how sour/tart this beer is. Despite this, it is pretty good and actually drinkable. I am glad I got to try this one.

mothman, Nov 18, 2010

Supposed to be sour. Thank goodness I had a nice buzz going when Alex shared this one.

A - Amber colored beer with a bit of head and some decent lacing.

S - Well, smells really tart, some vinegar, oak, sweetness. Lots of acetic sourness here, almost shockingly so.

T - This is like, enamel stripping sour. Super, super tart with some red wine nd vinous notes. There's some dark fruit. Also some apples, but man, really really sour. But I'm drunk.

M - Medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation and mouth drying astringency.

O - It's an experience, one of the sourest beers I've encoutered. Worth drinking with friends just to see the look on everyone's faces.

AgentZero, Jul 12, 2011

Exiled, Nov 24, 2011

Shared by either Matt or Michael at a recent tasting, thanks! Beer is quite good, really nice, I need to hunt down these other sours and see what they are doing down there. Very interesting beers, this is the best I've had.

Beer is brownish, mildly hazy, low head, low retention, moderate to low carbonation, no lacing.

Aroma is succinic and acetic. Really strong, mild wine.

Beer is tart more than straight up sour, I get it in the back corners of my mouth, thin, bright on the palate, mild to moderate acetic character. The beer is mildly oaky with hints of fruits. It is quite good, very interesting, I would have it again and this beer convinces me that Sante Fe is worthwhile and I'll keep paying attention.

drabmuh, Nov 14, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

A-transparent amber with almost no head
S-nice okay smell. Can definetly pick the bordeaux off of it
T-tastes a lot of the wine off of the start. Very funky tartness to it with a combination of a little bit of fruit
M-medium bodied and a slifht burn going down
D-nicely drinkable. Not the best though

brew3crew, Mar 12, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Yet another bottle thanks to Drew!

A: Ruby red to dark, dark crimson with golden highlights. No head to speak of or lacing. Intriguing look.

S: Has a grape and berry fruit vibe overall in terms of the flavor of the tartness, also with some bread like grain. Vinegar dominates again like the other wilds, maybe apple cider vinegar this time. Red wine grapes as well like a super tart Cab.

T: Abrasive tartness with lots of vinegar again and red wine flavors that really blossom forth with some citrus zest. Raisin and prune in there, but mostly very tart again.

M: Abrasively tart with no carbonation, like a tart wine.

Overall this is interesting, this and 4 are the better ones, yet they are all so abrasively sour it's hard to drink much of these after a while.

Dreadnaught33, Jun 12, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottle shared by yourefragile. Thanks Michael.

The beer is brown colored, appearing virtually flat. What little head there is rapidly vanishes, leaving no trace of its existence on the glass. The aroma is super sour and acetic. Whoa! I guess I am sadistic when it comes to sours and wilds. The flavor punishes your cheeks. Ripe fruit, tannins, oak. Not for the faint hearted. Light to medium bodied with very low carbonation. Overall, an interesting beer and certainly worth a try if you consider yourself a sourhead.

Huhzubendah, Nov 11, 2011
3.8/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Hojaminbag for sharing this one. I had been hoping to track one down!

A-Deep, dark ruby tinted copper with a medium off-white head that reduced to a thin veil and left zero lacing.

S-Highly acidic with a boat load of Balsamic vinegar up front slowly melting away to notes of sour cherries and astringent oak.

T-WHOA! This one is a big old Balsamic vinegar kick in the teeth! A massively sour brew up front. With a bit of searching subtle notes of sour cherry, raspberry and blackberry poke through. Tannic oak notes shine in the drying and astringent finish.

M-Medium-light bodied with a lively bite of carbonation. Oak and vinegar astringency linger long. Super tart and biting.

D-Wow! This is one sour mo fo! I like it but in the end it does become a bit too much. Tart--sure, tasty---sure, for awhile but in the end....

Deuane, Jun 13, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

Burgundy color, big white head that fell to the sides of the glass.

Heavy acetic acid in the nose. Burning hot. Raspberry, cherry, vanilla yogurt wafts in behind it.

Human bile and sweet vanilla comes out first in the taste. I'm searching for anything but vinegar and I can pick out just a little of the bordeaux on the finish. The finish is surprisingly smooth and dry. The beer lifts effortlessly off the palate. Seedy/dirty raspberries round out the taste. This was probably the first vinegar bomb that actually pulled off being a vinegar bomb. Having said that, this is definitely a sour for the masochist inside you.

BearsOnAcid, Apr 22, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a murky reddish orange. a bit of white head. Looks pretty. Smells sweet. A lot of fruitiness Up front. Vry very tart on the tongue. The sourness is over the top making it sper not drinkable. The tartness and fruitiness is great. The sourness is so very very overpowering that this beer suffers sadly. But i do like the taste

Urbancaver, Mar 12, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -7.1%

From 11/05/11 notes.

a - Pours a dark reddish brown color with one finger of off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Some light lacing left on the glass.

s - Smells super sour, like cleaning solvent, acidic notes, sour fruits. Very sour and funky, and some light oak and earthy notes.

t - Tastes of mouth puckering sour fruits, oak, earthy and funky notes, vinegar, and raspberries. Super sour again, but not bad.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. After Old Growth, much easier to drink.

o - Overall another interesting, and crazy sour beer, but a TON better than Old Growth. Would give this one another shot though it isn't my favorite, whereas I think I'd pass on OG next time.

mdfb79, Nov 08, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -9.2%

Thanks to Javi for sharing this one.

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a moderately sized off-white head that dies down to a spotty layer on top.

S: Very acetic, tons of vinegar notes along with some sour cherries and other dark fruits. A fair amount of oak, but the acetic acid is really overpowering.

T: When cold, the vinegar is in check and there's some cherries, blackberries, and raspberries in there. However, as this starts to come to temperature, the vinegar just dominates the beer and it's beyond sour.

M: The body is medium with a lively carbonation and a dry finish and tongue abusing sourness.

D: I'm normally one to appreciate a very sour beer, but the red wine vinegar nature of this beer was a bit too much for me.

womencantsail, Nov 15, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

A: murky brown, almost maroon, small head, does not really hold well

S: berries and a mild amount of funk. a ton of barrel presence, a bit of sweetness

T: super tart and slightly buttery. a ton of acidity. some fruitiness. i was expecting there to be more of a wine like character

M: Extremely harsh and slightly buttery

D: very intense flavors and one that needs some sharing

mikey711, Nov 20, 2010