Wild Ale #6 (Bordeaux Series) - Santa Fe Brewing Company

Wild Ale #6 (Bordeaux Series)Wild Ale #6 (Bordeaux Series)

pDev: 15%
Santa Fe Brewing Company visit their website
New Mexico, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

Sour ale aged in Bordeaux barrels.

(Beer added by: GabrielM on 10-24-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

I was warned that this was sour, but laughed it off as I assumed the person warning me thought I was a n00b. Served in a Lost Abbey Rastal Teku.

A - Hmmm...removing the cap didn't result in any audible hiss, and it seemed to come off very easily - hope this wasn't damaged in transit. Pours essentially flat, with a few bubbles that quickly disappear, leaving a very cider-esque hazy orange-red body.

S - When chilled it actually starts fairly sweet, with some odd Frito's corn chip character. I think there's still a little residual diacetyl which should clear out over time. However, once it's warm it's all nostril singing acetic vinegar, with some vinous character in there for good measure. There's some vague fruit aroma - sour cherry, sour apple, and so on, but it's in the periphery.

T - Holy acetobacter Batman. This is just barbaric. Huge lemon and white white vinegar, tart appleskins, underripe berries, sour grapes, sour cherries, sour patch kids, and anything else that contains the adjective sour.

M - No carbonation. Smooth medium body, with bone dryness, massive pucker, and enamel-stripping, stomach-melting acidity.

D - This reminds me a lot of '99 Belle Vue Sélection Lambic. From me this is high praise, but for many it will be way too intense. I don't really know how this will change over time, as I can't see how it could get more sour. A great way to scare away moochers!!

MasterSki, Nov 16, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

22oz bottle received from Greg in Oregon as part of a BIF. First I've heard of Santa Fe Brewing, but then again New Mexico is a state I've only been to once in the past 5 years. I read the previous reviews and I'm looking forward to seeing just how sour this can be.

It pours a murky/hazy dark reddish copper with a fine looking thin cap of off-white foam. Picture perfect. The aroma is kind of intense, not far from an aggressive vintage of Cantillon Kriek or Framboise, actually more vinegar than Cantillon but just as bracingly tart smelling. Actually a little scary.

It tastes about as acidic as anything I've tried before, enamel-etching and probably I'll get heartburn or something similar. Each taste brings momentary bursts of fruit before the overpowering sourness takes over. I'm thinking I get cherries or sort of berries, but it's fleeting. The acidity is the main thing, and I like it. Not something I want too often, and honestly I'm wishing I'd waited to open this with someone else to help finish it, but damn it's good. I'm trying to keep it cool to keep the vinegar in check.

Dry mouthfeel, how could it be anything else. It hurts a little but I keep drinking it. Extreme beer, very good, I believe I'll recommend it.

TurdFurgison, Nov 16, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -9.2%

Thanks to Javi for sharing this one.

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a moderately sized off-white head that dies down to a spotty layer on top.

S: Very acetic, tons of vinegar notes along with some sour cherries and other dark fruits. A fair amount of oak, but the acetic acid is really overpowering.

T: When cold, the vinegar is in check and there's some cherries, blackberries, and raspberries in there. However, as this starts to come to temperature, the vinegar just dominates the beer and it's beyond sour.

M: The body is medium with a lively carbonation and a dry finish and tongue abusing sourness.

D: I'm normally one to appreciate a very sour beer, but the red wine vinegar nature of this beer was a bit too much for me.

womencantsail, Nov 15, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

11/13/10

Thanks Javier. Enjoyed at lost abbey barrel tasting 2010. Appears dirty brown with a reddish tinge, small beige head. Aroma is highly acetic, with moderate citric notes, some oak, and some dark fruit. There's a nice berry undertone beneath the acetic character. Flavor is highly acetic and very sour. Mouth puckering and palate punishing with a high dark fruit tartness and a tannic attack. I feel it burning my stomach lining burning. Wow this is sour and acetic. Burning acetic finish, ouch. An intense beer, not bad, but is this sort of thing acceptable in New Mexico? This is dangerously sour.

HopHead84, Nov 14, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +28.4%

Bottle shared with GabrielM
Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pours an amber orange color. Very little off white head.

S - A lot of apple and citrus. Some floral notes also come through.

T - Extremely sour. Sour apple, cherry, oak, some citrus. The first sip woke up all my taste buds.

M - Hits hard up front and then finishes nice and smooth. Medium amount of carbonation.

D - The massive sourness is balanced very well with the fruity notes.

I will definitely be having another one very soon.

DaveMarner, Oct 28, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +28.9%

1 bottle of 432, this batch was aged in Bordeaux barrels. Poured into a tulip.

A - looks almost identical to apple cider with a slightest bit of white head on top, which quickly dissipates. Beautiful color.

S - cherries, oak, apples, citrus, raspberries. The sweet/sour smell is very intense and refreshing.

T - extremely tart cherries right up front, which transition nicely into semi-sweet apples and a delicious grape and oak barrel presence. Refreshing and absolutely delicious.

M - very, very tart and great combination that lead to an extremely smooth finish.

D - I could literally drink this all night. A fantastic sour from Santa Fe Brewing and I feel very lucky to have one of the few bottled.

GabrielM, Oct 24, 2010