Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

Mamma Mia! Pizza BeerMamma Mia! Pizza Beer

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.
4.14/5  rDev +48.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ok, I'm rating this as a novelty beer, and a novelty beer only.

It smells like pizza, tastes like pizza, unfortunately doesn't look like pizza though.

Is it a beer I'm going to go out and buy all the time? Probably not. Did they hit the nail on the head with a beer that tastes like pizza? Absolutely.

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Smells heavily of a saucey pizza. Kind of like a lunchables pizza.

Taste of a bland heavily carbonated ale, with a finish of a bunch of spices with an oregano finish that stays in your mouth.

Interesting novelty beer. If i wanted pizza I would eat it and not drink a beer.

2.94/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

(the last bottle of this at Free Bridge Wine & Spirits - $2.99! - poured into a Chimay goblet)

A: hazy amber liquid - yeast-like sediment, but didn't notice anything chunky floating in it... a head forms, sort of, but quickly recedes into the beer - leaves a weak swirl in the middle... no lace

S: pizza sauce - no joke - oregano, tomato paste, a touch of garlic powder... not much basil, if any... a sort of pale ale base beer is detected mildly in the background... the aromas are moderately potent at first, but then later fade and the beer ends up smelling kind of bland

T: not as pizza-y as the smell... the oregano may stand out the most... sort of a hint of lightly-oily tomato paste... garlic is luckily almost nil... if the beer was sweet, i don't think i could've finished it all - thankfully, it's just a bland, dry, unhoppy/unspicy pale ale

M: quite light-bodied, weightless... perhaps a mild foamy wash - carbonation is relatively mellow

O: interesting to try - a novelty at best... this could actually be a lot better if they jacked up the spicing (this was likely an older bottle - this ain't flying off the shelves), maybe added a touch of sweetness and perhaps some toasted malt to enhance crust flavors... who knows?

3.32/5  rDev +19.4%

It looks like crap. There is what can only be described as "bits of crud" floating around in it.

It smells like BEER AND PIZZA.

The taste...I know it seems like it's what you should expect, but I cannot believe how much this beverage tasted like pizza and beer INDEPENDENTLY. Not beer-soaked pizza or a beer into which someone had dropped a slice. Beer...and pizza. I'm not even sure it was good--but it was amazing.

You can feel the crud bits in your mouth hole.

If I could go back and give myself advice last night, I would say "order it" every time (but just one, and only drink about 10 of the 16 ounces, which is exactly what happened).

2.8/5  rDev +0.7%

I was visiting my parents and saw a bottle of this at a local liquor store, and curiosity got the better of me. I could only handle a few sips of this beer, and yes it does kind of taste like pizza. I mostly remember tasting lots of oregano and a bit of tomato. The flavor wasn't awful, but just not what I would want in a beer. On the other hand, my husband found this beer to be rather delicious.

3.27/5  rDev +17.6%

I concept of this beer is equally awesome and laughable.
The aroma was actually pretty awesome. It says pizza beer and you expect something along the lines of pizza, but this really did smell like a slice of cheese pizza with oregano on it!
The taste was.. well.. actually what you would get on the nose, tomato sauce, basil, and a ton of oregano. I don't know why people say garlic, I got no garlic at all. It had a light taste, and the whole time I was drinking it, I was laughing at out they pulled this one off. It's definitely a pizza beer. I didn't dislike this beer, nor did I really really life it. You take it for what it is, a gimmicky, pizza beer.

I actually think I would love to have this with a slice of NY pizza. That would be awesome.

2.59/5  rDev -6.8%

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer pours a hazy straw color. Has a small head with okay retention and leaves low lacing.

I am pretty impressed by the aroma, really does smell like a pizza, and in a surprisingly good way. First notice garlic and marinara sauce, with basil, oregano, and yeasty pizza dough.

The tastes is also like a pizza, but unlike the aroma, this similarity is pretty bad. Taste starts with dough and marinara sauce (which is okay), then comes a gigantic wave of overwhelming garlic, then a devastating one-two punch of oregano and basil, with a lingering, coating, garlic stench aftertaste. Mouthfeel is average with above average carbonation.

The taste here is pretty damn bad, but the appealing aroma and overall novelty of this beer save it, but it's still pretty bad - worse than I expected. Glad I tried it, glad I never have to try it again. The aroma really is nice, though.

3.63/5  rDev +30.6%

A: opaque orange sunset that is lighter at the bottom of the glass and darkens as the chalice glass widens. Thin, small bubbles in the quickly dissolving head.

S: smells like hops mixed with oregano and rosemary. Aroma really reminds me of good marinara. Really smells like pizza, which works as I drink it with my pizza. Smell is very complimentary to the food.

T: tastes like a nice thinner lager. Better than a light beer, with some subtle hop and yeast flavors. Bready, with real Italian spice flavors. Not the best beer to drink by itself, but in this moment, it is a delicious light beer that compliments and washes down the slice of broccoli, garlic, white pizza it is paired with.

M: mouthfeel of a thin lager - a bit nicer than a light beer, but the beer needs some more viscosity.

O: better than other reviewers would have made me believe. Not a great beer on its own, but certainly not bad. Paired with pizza? Quite wonderful without being distracting.

3.31/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 16 oz. bottle into a Russian River pint glass (ignoring the neck label on the bottle).

A: Hazy gold, forming a thin white head, and low levels of visible carbonation.

S: Distinct spices up front - mostly garlic and oregano. Not much of anything else to be found here, except maybe hints of pilsner malt.

T: Well, pizza. What did you expect? Tomato, garlic, oregano..each distinctly present and adding it's own aspects to the drink. Light pilsner and cracker malt character underneath. The tomato and spices linger in the mouth for a bit after the swallow.

M: Light body - almost watery. Low alcohol presence. This bottle seems poorly carbonated, though not quite flat.

O: OK. That was interesting. Not nearly as offensive as I expected it to be. It pulls off having obvious pizza flavors without rising to the level of being obnoxious. This is for sure a novelty or fluff beer, and less than a half-bottle should be more than enough to try. But still, it's interesting and different, and expands yet again what I thought a beer could taste like.

3.02/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours hazed golden with a thin white lasting head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of oregano, basil, garlic, tomato - interesting smell like pizza sauce - strong on the herbs.

The taste is strong on the oregano and basil. Too much so. Garlic is also noticeable. I see where they were going with this, so I'll give a bit more credit than I actually liked. It lacks much of a doughy taste that I think would have enhanced it and kept the seasonings more balanced.

An interesting novelty beer.

3.24/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From bottle into wine glass (obviously)

Appearance - Hazy amber with a thin white head that leaves spotty lacing. It's not a lively beer as I don't see many bubbles finding their way around the glass. I was expecting at least a little bit of sediment or something. But nothing was there.

Aroma - Nothing to call home about. A little oregano, light bready malt and a touch of tomato.

Taste - Suprisingly not as bad as I originally assumed. Tastes how I would imagine a pizza beer tastes. Oregano is the front runner followed by crust and a little cheese and tomato coming at the end.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, medium bodied with little to no bite. A mix between savory and malty.

Overall - Tastes like a cheese pizza. If you'd like to drink your pizza and get a tiny buzz then this is the way to go. If you'd rather not drink your pizza, stay away. It's hilarious and interesting all in the same.

2.93/5  rDev +5.4%

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pale orange. Small white head. Some lacing.

Smell - Oregano! Whoa. I imagine tomato. Pale malt.

Taste - Tons of pale malt. The oregano kicks in. Not a lot else reminiscent of pizza. The name makes me think tomato, but I don't objectively think it's there.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Maybe medium light. Well carbonated.

Overall - It isn't terrible. Just isn't good or worth drinking.

3.1/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from the bottle into a Nonic pint glass. Yup also poured into an INAO wine taster.. hey that's how I roll.

Slightly hazy, opaque, lots of microscopic carbonation rising with a dark yellowish orange body. Head is about two fingers, fairly creamy and some half decent staying power with no lacing. No chunks, or debris, not bad looking.

The nose is what it is. It's pizza. However, it's more of a frozen store bought dough, sort of like Olive Garden breadsticks. There is not much sense of real garlic, basil, or tomato on this, nothing fresh or spicy, it's just doughy like Pizza Hut crust or something.

Palate is quite watery, with a bitter dehydrated oregano like finish on the swallow. Surprisingly the pizza nose doesn't really translate into the taste. Light tomato and vegetative qualities but with none of the excellent spice angle. In fact it really doesn't taste like anything.

Overall this isn't horrid, but I can't feel like I would ever want to have this again, it tastes like watered down cheap pie in a glass. However, it is what it is.

3.52/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: no head on a golden orange body.

S: This beer smells very much like pizza. Oregano, tomato, pepperoni and garlic are very heavy in the aroma.

T: Flavor is not as pizzaish as the aroma. Tastes include frozen pizza crust, tomato sauce, and garlic.

M: Dry finish, medium carbonation.

O: This beer is much better than I thought it would be, especially after reading the reviews. It's drinkable, especially for those who like pizza! :)

3.19/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

No head really on a gold and burnt orange body with no lacing really. Both the aroma and the flavor are light overall. For the aroma, you mostly get mozzarella, pale malts and pepperoni. Flavor is more herbal with the oregano coming through more, also your typical pizza flavors. This beer could be a lot worse. Each flavor is understated and actually far better, although not good, than I imagined. We had a big beer tasting tonight and saved this for last, it could have been the first we had. Not at all a palate recker. light in body and light to medium carbonation.

3.58/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a small white head if foam on a lightly hazy, golden body. An aroma of, well... pizza. Crust, oregano, tomatoes, everything, and it is actually not unpleasant. The flavor is a more subdued version of the same thing with bready crust notes and subtle tomato and herbal notes. Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a balanced finish. Shockingly not bad, the aroma is strange, but not really unpleasant, the flavor is just mild and a bit bland. I expected something horrible and what I got was a bit odd, but decent.

2.98/5  rDev +7.2%

16oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Hazy golden amber with 1 finger of white head that dissipates quickly.

Frozen bread, oregano and basil.

Frozen pizza dough, basil and oregano are there. Beyond that are just bready malts and notes of garlic. Wait...wait...tastes exactly like Pizzeria CombosTM!!

Light bodied, crisp and clean.

Overall...it's a bland Blonde Ale spiced with oregano, basil and garlic... For a pizza beer it's rather boring.

4.15/5  rDev +49.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

In my opinion, much better than what the average rater is saying. Smells like frozen pizza. Tastes like cheaper frozen pizza with the un-risen dough. Has the generic vegi-pizza sauce tastes. It's what we expected, right? Props for a good description that lives up to the drink. I've had way worse spiced beers. This one is average to slightly better than average and definitely worth trying at least once. I'll probably have one more or even more later in my life. I agree with a previous post, this is much better on a not-so-full stomach. Definitely drink before a meal, not afterwards.

3.29/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A- hazy gold with a thick white head. Excellent lacing.

S - oregano, Basil, yeast, bread, and a hint of garlic.

T- the taste is pretty much the same as the aroma. It tastes like pizza. Very very strange.

M - pretty light. Watery finish.

O - different, strange.

3.85/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer tastes really pizzaey. And that might sound like a strange idea, but it actually works perfectly, because the beer is quite yeasty and tastes like pizza crust, so the pizza flavors fit with it perfectly. I guess on just pure beer merits this is just decent, but the flavor is really delicious in my opinion. I would definitely drink this again. There's nothing at all I would fault this for, and the pizza flavor works surprisingly well. I drank this from a Chimay goblet.

2.98/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange with a small white head. Aroma and Taste of sweet oregano, pizza dough, yeast, with a bit grains and light fruity notes. Palate is a medium body, fairly smooth with mild carbonation. Finishes with a pizza dough, oregano, yeast flavor. Reminds me of a margherita tomato pizza, I actually enjoyed this brew.

3.31/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

had thanks to user ufmj, thanksa bunch man,
poured from bottle into snifter
A -cloudy amberish, large white head that stays for a while
S - well it smeels like a pizza, tomato sauce, spices etc
T - weird... it tastes a lot like the nose, very tomato sauce-y not as bad as I expected, but not great
M - very thin and weak, honestly the worst part of the beer
O - not as bad as I expected, very weird beer, and very unique

2.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

i picked up a bottle of Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer last week for $1.79 at Boardwalk Liquor Store. I heard about this beer a few years ago but I have never seen a bottle of it before so when I saw a bottle at the store I thought I would take a chance on it, I'll try any beer once, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, who knows how old it is, the numbers have been almost fully rubbed off. Poured from a fatter 16oz brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's got two chef's on the label which I assume are the people that came up with this beer and the color is the same as an Italian flag, it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice and hazy golden orange color that took on more of a orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any lacing behind. This is a decent looking beer, the color was pretty nice but the head and lacing were lacking.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by tons of pizza spices, it smells like a nice spiced pizza crust, oregano seems to stick out the most but I do get some garlic and basil with a good amount of tomato aromas that almost gives it a marinara like aroma. Up next comes some bready and grainy malts that hardly show up and are overpowered by the pizza spices. The aroma is ok all the ingredients that are listed on the bottle stick out, but it's just not an aroma that I associate with beer and it doesn't make me want to dive right into it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma just not as intense, it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the pizza spices being the first to show up, they aren't as intense as they are in the aroma, but they are still pretty strong and only get stronger the more the beer warms up, the oregano still sticks out the most with all the other pizza spices that I got in the aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a pretty noticeable tomato flavor followed by some grainy and bready malts. On the finish there's a lighter amount of bitterness with a little bit of sweetness and a bready, tomato, and pizza spice like aftertaste. The taste is not that great, it's true to the name and very pizza like, but the savory pizza flavors just don't translate well in a beer.

M- A little smooth, a little dry, slightly crisp, on the fuller of side of being light bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok, it felt a little watery and a little under carbonated.

Overall i wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it was a slightly below average example of the style, it had all the flavors as advertised, but the savory pizza flavors didn't go well in the beer, it doesn't keep me wanting to drink it. This didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and the flavors didn't do a good job at holding my attention, the pizza spices really started to wear on me and there is no way that I would want to drink multiple bottles of this. What I liked the most about this beer was how close to pizza the flavors was, all the key tastes that I look for in a pizza show up in this beer, it just didn't work out that well. What I liked the least about this beer was the the lingering tomato and spices flavor, it just wouldn't go away. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it might be interesting to try with pizza, but it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to get, but I do recommend trying it, some beers are so unique that they have to be tried once and this beer is one of them. All in all this beer just wasn't for me, in my opinion they nailed what they were going for and it really does taste similar to pizza, it's just those aren't flavors that I really desire in a beer and I don't really have an urge to keep drinking. I appreciate the effort it took to come up with and make this weird brew, but it just wasn't my kind of beer.

3.08/5  rDev +10.8%

Amber color with a thin head with medium retention. Got hazy at last pour.
Incredible aroma of a marguerita pizza, lots of oregano, tomato paste and garlic.
Mouth follows nose, flavor of oregano, garlic and tomato paste. Hints of lemon. Dry aftertaste with a residual oregano taste and a mild spicy feeling.
It is really a liquid pizza, don’t drink this with your stomach full. Quite interesting, though not sure I could hold another one.

4.06/5  rDev +46%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It was definitely an interesting beer. A buddy of mine had one at his house that someone gave him. When I opened it, it definitely smelled like a pizza with pepperoni. I thought it was pretty tasty. It did take a swallow or two for my palate to adjust to the flavor, but after that I thought it was great. I can't wait to go buy a six pack tomorrow. It wasn't the best beer I've ever had, but it's a cool concept, and I'll definitely drink it again.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company