Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

poor

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008)
Reviews by alleykatking:
3.75/5  rDev +39.4%

Poured from 16oz bottle. The review on this one is based on the style and not personal preference....although I must say this is an interesting beer.

A- Pours a murky orange amber color. One finger white head that stays around for a short while. No real lacing at all...some streaks but all fall back into the glass.

S- Well this pretty much smells like it should. Rich in pizza dough, oregano, basil, with some light oxidation to it as well. There is some light tomato in this that I can pick up on in the ending.

T- This tastes like a pizza almost dead on. Light oxidation on the front end of this but the pizza flavors overtake it. An interesting beer to say the least. There is a light pils flavor in this as well. The yeasty dough comes through more than I would like but I couldn't really complain.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Dough flavor left on the palate with some basil, and oregano in the aftertaste. Flavors were clean and somewhat crisp. Very light with so many flavors going on.

D- This is a interesting beer to say the least. I wouldn't drink a whole lot of this but for a beer to deliver what it set out for...well it hit the head on the nail.

3.3/5  rDev +22.7%

I've got to give this beer props for being exactly what it's trying to be and as such I'll be giving it a solid review, save for drinkability. That being said, I couldn't finish one bottle and won't be buying it again other than to force friends to drink as a joke/bet/dare or to use in cooking.

Appearance: Beautiful, well carbonated blonde body with a thin, white, bubbly head.

Aroma: Ever had sun-dried tomato wheat thins or Nabisco garden harvest - tomato basil toasted chips? Well... that...maybe with some pizza Doritos thrown in...

Taste: Pizza. Yeah, this beer tastes like pizza. Go figure. The tomato and basil come through well. There is a strong bready base and at times oregano and garlic can be tasted as well. I feel like I can taste cheese too but I might just be fooling myself.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy and spicy. Disturbing to my stomach.

Drinkability: Nearly nill. I couldn't finish more than a half a glass.

Like I said, mad props to the brewers of this beer. They created a very unique and well crafted product. I don't like it but I swear I hope the area bars start serving this. I can't wait to bet a coworker 10 bucks to drink two of these.

2.66/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a yellow-straw color, lots of clarity and a ton of carbonation bubbles rising to the top of the glass. White colored head that settles down quickly and leaves no apparent lacing. Nose is full of oregano and basil - it doesn't smell like a "pizza", rather it smells like "pizza sauce". The spices hint at tomato (probably from the basil) a bit, so it really smells like a fresh can of pizza sauce. It definitely smells "good" (considering I like the way pizza sauce smells), but I'm not sure if I like the idea of drinking pizza sauce. The taste is kind of a weird infusion of a crisp adjunct lager and a can of Prego or Ragu. The basil and oregano aren't too overpowering necessarily, but the rest of the beer doesn't offer much in terms of flavor, so they definitely stand out. Some very, very light hops and yeast-like malts are present throughout, but as I said, don't balance quite like they should. Thin body with a hefty helping of carbonation.

You know, when you buy "pizza beer", you have to think of how high your expectations really are for this thing. Probably not very high. With that notion, the beer isn't undrinkable, and it's a great novelty - it really is reminiscent of "pizza" in terms of the most recognizable portion of the pie, the sauce. I wouldn't sit down and throw back more than one of these, however. Actually, now that I've had it once, I'll probably never buy it again. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "awful".... but, highly unnecessary.

3.1/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brewed for Pizza Beer Company by Sprecher Brewing Co. Pours into my glass from the 16oz bottle a very hazy yellow orange with a half inch of creamy white head on top. No real lacing to speak of. Aromas start out with toasted grains along with a mix of kicthen spices. Oregano, basil and garlic all play a part, the pungent unmistakable garlic is playing the largest part. Light tomato in the background. It's not too bold and in your face but all the spices are there. Interesting to say the least.

First sip brings an extremely light cereal grainy maltiness upfront that's quickly met by a sharp, vegetal spiciness. Oregano, basil and garlic flow across the tongue. I get a light tomato flavor on the way down but it almost seems like an afterthought. Finishes with a light grain sweetness and lingering spices on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side with fast moving carbonation that explodes with each sip. The body really disappointed me here as I think if it would have been fuller it would accentuated the beer much better. Overall, it's an interesting beer to try and fairly tasty being as the spicing is not overpowering. However, I can't say it leaves me wanting to run out and drink it again!

3.25/5  rDev +20.8%

2.5/5  rDev -7.1%

2.05/5  rDev -23.8%

(Served in an American pint glass)
The bottle says Sprecher in the glass

A- This beer has a hazy deep orange body with a big creamy beige head and is supported by a boiling carbonation of big bubbles.

S- The soft smell of tomato paste and dried herbs comes through in the smell with some slight salty cheese note as it warms. The smell is pretty clean but strong enough.

T- The big taste of pizza crust dominates the taste followed by a big tomato sauce flavor and a dry savory herb flavor at the finish. There is a dry mozzarella flavor in the background that comes through after a few sips.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a fizzy finish that enhances the tomato paste flavor.

D- I have been staring at this beer in the fridge for a few days a little scared to open it. It was not as horrific as I though but it was still gross, and I like pizza. The crust flavors were authentic but I don't like that in a beer and the tomato was spot on but I don't think I could drink a tomato beer. Interesting idea that should have stopped at that.

2.5/5  rDev -7.1%

3.35/5  rDev +24.5%

It looks like crap. There is what can only be described as "bits of crud" floating around in it.

It smells like BEER AND PIZZA.

The taste...I know it seems like it's what you should expect, but I cannot believe how much this beverage tasted like pizza and beer INDEPENDENTLY. Not beer-soaked pizza or a beer into which someone had dropped a slice. Beer...and pizza. I'm not even sure it was good--but it was amazing.

You can feel the crud bits in your mouth hole.

If I could go back and give myself advice last night, I would say "order it" every time (but just one, and only drink about 10 of the 16 ounces, which is exactly what happened).

3.05/5  rDev +13.4%

16oz bottle. Sorry, I'm not sullying any wine glass of mine with this potential gag-bomb of a beer, thrice passed over in recent trips south of the 49th.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden yellow colour, with one finger of foamy off-white head, which leaves very little of note in terms of lace around the glass as things sulk away.

It smells of oregano, garlic, and tomato - pizza, as duly promised, all beer considerations aside. The taste is surprisingly an agreeable dance between pizza and lager - bready (from which source, it is a mystery) malt, and standard pie spice - the proclaimed oregano, garlic, and weak tomato sauce. Any superfluous hops just get doused in the hard to hate pasta goodness (I know!) that is somehow evoked here.

The carbonation is average, just a few bubbles here and there, with a middling pasta-influencing weight, and weirdly agreeable smoothness. It finishes pizza-friendly, for sure, and a bit less on the standard basic malted lager side of things.

Not the hot mess I had anticipated, and a damned sight better as a lead-in to the sexy local indie pizza option that just rang the buzzer for all my Saturday night gustatory needs...coming!

3.2/5  rDev +19%

Contract brewed by Sprecher. There is some shit scrawled in sharpee across the label, which appears to be an autograph by "Chef R"(???) and possibly "Mama Mia" but it looks like it was written with all "m"s. Maybe it says "Athena *something*" (which would make sense), but that's a stretch.

And it only gets weirder.

It pours a hazy tan-yellow body with a slumping gray head.
The nose is doughy, slathered with oregano, basil, tomato paste, and garlic...and pretty much exactly as promised. Bizarre, but it is not offensive. The garlic is low key, and I appreciate that, as I was worried that it might be obnoxiously garlicky.
The smell is spot-on (for what it is), taste is more of a mixed bag. A thin-crust maltiness with some creeping sweetness, that begins more and more to hint at tomato. It's more doughy later on, as the spices (again, obviously, basil, oregano, and garlic). Hopping is negligible.
Light bodied, lowly carbonated. The spicing does catch up after a while, and limit drinkability.
It's mild enough to not overwhelm or offend, but also bland enough to not warrant a repeat visit. It's probably worth a spin just for quirkiness' sake. Just don't expect any "wows".

3.85/5  rDev +43.1%

This seemed interesting, so I had to pick it up and review it. Sounds like it could potentially be terrible... or it could be awesome since I do loves me some pizza. Here goes nothing....

A - Hazy orange with a short lived 1/2 inch cap of flimsy white fizz. A small amount of sudsy wet lace is left on the glass, and a quick swirl brings up a 1/2 inch head again.... but it immediately reduces to a thin wispy haze on top of the brew. I halfway expected this to look like red tomato sauce, but it looks like any old pale ale with a crappy head.

A - Holy crap! This does smell EXACTLY like pizza! I smell spicy tomato sauce, dried red peppers, mushrooms, and spicy sausage and pepperoni. This smells like my microwave after cooking those pizza bite snacks. Mozzarella cheese and crispy buttery crust. Its amazing to me that a beer can smell exactly like a pizza.

T - The flavor is not quite as good as the nose, but its much better than I expected. I thought that although this smells like pizza, it might taste like nasty thick tomato sauce. I an happily proved wrong by this tasty brew. Its odd to drink something that tastes like this, but its kind of like the beer version of a spicy bloody mary. Smoky, peppery, lively, and far from the foul concoction that I thought this one might turn out to be. Nice!

M - Light in body, crisp, and highly carbonated with a surprisingly neutral finish with a small hint of sausage-y spice and a lingering note of pepperoni.

D - Good, but not stellar. Although I'm glad that I tried this one, and would probably buy it again for the novelty, one is enough for me. Id like to try this with a pizza and see if it holds its own or is too much pizza flavor for one meal. Although its brewed here in the states, this is a much better "Italian" beer than the usual Italian beers or pitchers of macro swill you'd find at a pasta/pizza joint.

Appearance: Mostly golden and a bit brown. No carbonation. Some particles floating around as well.

Smell: I actually love the smell of this. Lots of oregano and tomatoes, and the beer itself gives a nice yeasty pizza dough aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Definitely pizza. In honestly, it's not that bad at first. Pizza Beer goes too far with the tomato. Beer on its own is quite acidic, but the tomato gives this an unbearable sourness and acidic aftertaste. As far as the feel, it's fairly watery and uninspiring.

Drinkability: The sourness makes this hard to swallow.

Overall: A nice try at a novelty beer, but it misses the mark. I would definitely use this when making pizza dough in lieu of water.

3.83/5  rDev +42.4%

yeah, i bought the pizza beer...2 bottles even, because its certainly a dangerous weapon in the intrigue department

appearance: pours into a stolen guinness glass - thanks pauls club...pours a pale-orange body, light beige froth but not much activity

smell: distinct something...garlic, pungent tomato, tons of basil, oregano and other spices. funky!

taste: i've heard a lot of negative vibes about this beer which i immediately dismiss. this beer takes chances and is original as it gets - i commend that. the flavor profile contains things you would never imagine to see in a beer (garlic and onions) but with heavy hints of sun dried tomatoes, salt, dough, and cheese. absolutely worth a try - live a little

mouthfeel: a tad spicy, light bodied but filling

drinkability: unfortunately this in the standard 16oz sprecher bottle - 8oz would be ideal

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.38/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to byaeger. Thanks, Brian! Wanted to try this for awhile and expected it to be terrible, but it really wasn't.

The slogan on the bottle is hilarious: "Beer so good it deserves... A WINE GLASS!" Classic.

A - Pours a clear golden small, slightly fizzy white head.

S - Aroma is pizza sauce, oregano, garlic, and pale malt. Very interesting.

T - Flavor is a lot like a Boboli pizza that you buy at the supermarket. Tomato sauce, oregano, basil, and garlic all there, as well as pizza crust. Really not bad at all.

M - Palate is light and watery, a bit thin.

D - Above-average actually. This is not a great beer for sure, but it accomplishes what it's trying to do: taste like a pizza. Would go decently well with a pizza I think.

2.93/5  rDev +8.9%

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pale orange. Small white head. Some lacing.

Smell - Oregano! Whoa. I imagine tomato. Pale malt.

Taste - Tons of pale malt. The oregano kicks in. Not a lot else reminiscent of pizza. The name makes me think tomato, but I don't objectively think it's there.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Maybe medium light. Well carbonated.

Overall - It isn't terrible. Just isn't good or worth drinking.

3.15/5  rDev +17.1%

A - clear golden, thumb of white head retained at a thin covering, lots of bubbles rising from the bottom
S - definitely smells of a herb & garlic tomato sauce as advertised, hints of adjunct and grains
T - reminds me of a canned pizza sauce, including a little bit of the can in the taste, the oregano and garlic really hang around, maybe even a little too long. As far as beer flavours, adjunct and grains like the nose
M - a typical thin adjunct lager feel
O - it starts promising but gets a little blah towards the end, but big points for creativity, a must try for the novelty factor

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%