2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

Mamma Mia! Pizza BeerMamma Mia! Pizza Beer

poor

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 290 | Reviews: 163 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by pmcadamis:
pmcadamis

3.85/5  rDev +42.6%

This seemed interesting, so I had to pick it up and review it. Sounds like it could potentially be terrible... or it could be awesome since I do loves me some pizza. Here goes nothing....

A - Hazy orange with a short lived 1/2 inch cap of flimsy white fizz. A small amount of sudsy wet lace is left on the glass, and a quick swirl brings up a 1/2 inch head again.... but it immediately reduces to a thin wispy haze on top of the brew. I halfway expected this to look like red tomato sauce, but it looks like any old pale ale with a crappy head.

A - Holy crap! This does smell EXACTLY like pizza! I smell spicy tomato sauce, dried red peppers, mushrooms, and spicy sausage and pepperoni. This smells like my microwave after cooking those pizza bite snacks. Mozzarella cheese and crispy buttery crust. Its amazing to me that a beer can smell exactly like a pizza.

T - The flavor is not quite as good as the nose, but its much better than I expected. I thought that although this smells like pizza, it might taste like nasty thick tomato sauce. I an happily proved wrong by this tasty brew. Its odd to drink something that tastes like this, but its kind of like the beer version of a spicy bloody mary. Smoky, peppery, lively, and far from the foul concoction that I thought this one might turn out to be. Nice!

M - Light in body, crisp, and highly carbonated with a surprisingly neutral finish with a small hint of sausage-y spice and a lingering note of pepperoni.

D - Good, but not stellar. Although I'm glad that I tried this one, and would probably buy it again for the novelty, one is enough for me. Id like to try this with a pizza and see if it holds its own or is too much pizza flavor for one meal. Although its brewed here in the states, this is a much better "Italian" beer than the usual Italian beers or pitchers of macro swill you'd find at a pasta/pizza joint.

12-10-2008 17:42:23 | More by pmcadamis

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%

04-02-2014 00:37:34 | More by jsisko01
iheartmyTHO

2.79/5  rDev +3.3%

I was visiting my parents and saw a bottle of this at a local liquor store, and curiosity got the better of me. I could only handle a few sips of this beer, and yes it does kind of taste like pizza. I mostly remember tasting lots of oregano and a bit of tomato. The flavor wasn't awful, but just not what I would want in a beer. On the other hand, my husband found this beer to be rather delicious.

03-28-2014 21:42:09 | More by iheartmyTHO

ChicagoShakeAndBake26

02-17-2014 00:09:53 | More by ChicagoShakeAndBake26
bball208

3.23/5  rDev +19.6%

I concept of this beer is equally awesome and laughable.
The aroma was actually pretty awesome. It says pizza beer and you expect something along the lines of pizza, but this really did smell like a slice of cheese pizza with oregano on it!
The taste was.. well.. actually what you would get on the nose, tomato sauce, basil, and a ton of oregano. I don't know why people say garlic, I got no garlic at all. It had a light taste, and the whole time I was drinking it, I was laughing at out they pulled this one off. It's definitely a pizza beer. I didn't dislike this beer, nor did I really really life it. You take it for what it is, a gimmicky, pizza beer.

I actually think I would love to have this with a slice of NY pizza. That would be awesome.

02-14-2014 21:15:11 | More by bball208
vonnegut21

02-06-2014 16:19:14 | More by vonnegut21
JG-90

2.48/5  rDev -8.1%

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer pours a hazy straw color. Has a small head with okay retention and leaves low lacing.

I am pretty impressed by the aroma, really does smell like a pizza, and in a surprisingly good way. First notice garlic and marinara sauce, with basil, oregano, and yeasty pizza dough.

The tastes is also like a pizza, but unlike the aroma, this similarity is pretty bad. Taste starts with dough and marinara sauce (which is okay), then comes a gigantic wave of overwhelming garlic, then a devastating one-two punch of oregano and basil, with a lingering, coating, garlic stench aftertaste. Mouthfeel is average with above average carbonation.

The taste here is pretty damn bad, but the appealing aroma and overall novelty of this beer save it, but it's still pretty bad - worse than I expected. Glad I tried it, glad I never have to try it again. The aroma really is nice, though.

01-26-2014 02:02:47 | More by JG-90

2.5/5  rDev -7.4%

01-19-2014 16:02:47 | More by schnarr84
tkdchampxi

3.6/5  rDev +33.3%

A: opaque orange sunset that is lighter at the bottom of the glass and darkens as the chalice glass widens. Thin, small bubbles in the quickly dissolving head.

S: smells like hops mixed with oregano and rosemary. Aroma really reminds me of good marinara. Really smells like pizza, which works as I drink it with my pizza. Smell is very complimentary to the food.

T: tastes like a nice thinner lager. Better than a light beer, with some subtle hop and yeast flavors. Bready, with real Italian spice flavors. Not the best beer to drink by itself, but in this moment, it is a delicious light beer that compliments and washes down the slice of broccoli, garlic, white pizza it is paired with.

M: mouthfeel of a thin lager - a bit nicer than a light beer, but the beer needs some more viscosity.

O: better than other reviewers would have made me believe. Not a great beer on its own, but certainly not bad. Paired with pizza? Quite wonderful without being distracting.

01-12-2014 22:05:55 | More by tkdchampxi
macrosmatic

3.33/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 16 oz. bottle into a Russian River pint glass (ignoring the neck label on the bottle).

A: Hazy gold, forming a thin white head, and low levels of visible carbonation.

S: Distinct spices up front - mostly garlic and oregano. Not much of anything else to be found here, except maybe hints of pilsner malt.

T: Well, pizza. What did you expect? Tomato, garlic, oregano..each distinctly present and adding it's own aspects to the drink. Light pilsner and cracker malt character underneath. The tomato and spices linger in the mouth for a bit after the swallow.

M: Light body - almost watery. Low alcohol presence. This bottle seems poorly carbonated, though not quite flat.

O: OK. That was interesting. Not nearly as offensive as I expected it to be. It pulls off having obvious pizza flavors without rising to the level of being obnoxious. This is for sure a novelty or fluff beer, and less than a half-bottle should be more than enough to try. But still, it's interesting and different, and expands yet again what I thought a beer could taste like.

01-05-2014 22:46:12 | More by macrosmatic
campfirebrew

12-30-2013 13:16:55 | More by campfirebrew
hopkrid

12-30-2013 03:04:26 | More by hopkrid
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.98/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours hazed golden with a thin white lasting head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of oregano, basil, garlic, tomato - interesting smell like pizza sauce - strong on the herbs.

The taste is strong on the oregano and basil. Too much so. Garlic is also noticeable. I see where they were going with this, so I'll give a bit more credit than I actually liked. It lacks much of a doughy taste that I think would have enhanced it and kept the seasonings more balanced.

An interesting novelty beer.

12-30-2013 00:52:07 | More by jwc215