Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

poor

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008)
View: Beers (1) |  Events

4.5/5  rDev +66.7%

10-01-2013 04:51:47 | More by craftbeerasian
SaCkErZ9

4.4/5  rDev +63%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I am reviewing this beer based on its "pizzability", that is to say, if it tastes and smells like pizza. Keep that in mind as this score is high compared to others.

Nothing special in the appearance. Slightly hazy dark golden in color with a small white head that disappears immediately. No lacing and no head retention.

Aroma is pure pizza heaven. Say what you will, there is no way (atleast to my knowledge) that another beer smells as much like pizza as this one. Garlic, marinara sauce, basil, onion, the whole lot. I am imagining this one is pepperoni with green pepper and garlic crust.

Again, pure pizza with beer mixed in. I already have that pizza taste in my mouth with the garlic and herb sauce and I have had only three or four sips. All I taste is pizza.

As repugnant as this beer sounds, if you want a beer to taste like pizza, I dont know houw this doesnt fit the bill to a T. Sure, you may not like the taste because it tastes like someone dropped a pizza into my unhopped pale ale, but that is the point. Novelty beer have their spot in this world and this one is top notch when it comes to "Pizza Beer". I really enjoyed this one but this one isnt for everyone; in fact, it is probably for a very select few.

Beware. You will taste pizza in this one.

01-23-2009 21:08:57 | More by SaCkErZ9
Lukafer

4.28/5  rDev +58.5%

Okay, I reviewed this NOT based on whether it is delicious or not, but based if it was good forthis STYLE, which is a pizza beer. Sooo... Thanks AlleyKatKing for the bottle, was wanting to try this one for a while.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow. Smells like pizza! Straight up like tomato paste, garlic and oregano, wow they nailed it. Tastes like fucking pizza! If you were to take a pizza combo, liquify it and turn it into a beer, this would be it. Basil, garlic, the whole deal. I could barely finish this. I love pizza but there's something real weird about drinking it. They nailed it though.

08-31-2010 04:26:27 | More by Lukafer
eatmorepizza

4.13/5  rDev +53%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

In my opinion, much better than what the average rater is saying. Smells like frozen pizza. Tastes like cheaper frozen pizza with the un-risen dough. Has the generic vegi-pizza sauce tastes. It's what we expected, right? Props for a good description that lives up to the drink. I've had way worse spiced beers. This one is average to slightly better than average and definitely worth trying at least once. I'll probably have one more or even more later in my life. I agree with a previous post, this is much better on a not-so-full stomach. Definitely drink before a meal, not afterwards.

08-23-2013 01:38:32 | More by eatmorepizza
RDC1979

4.08/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It was definitely an interesting beer. A buddy of mine had one at his house that someone gave him. When I opened it, it definitely smelled like a pizza with pepperoni. I thought it was pretty tasty. It did take a swallow or two for my palate to adjust to the flavor, but after that I thought it was great. I can't wait to go buy a six pack tomorrow. It wasn't the best beer I've ever had, but it's a cool concept, and I'll definitely drink it again.

06-14-2013 03:34:21 | More by RDC1979
BARFLYB

4.03/5  rDev +49.3%

A Sprecher bottle into a pint glass, mama mia.

Pizza Beer has a golden orange glaze to itself with some faint white bubbles that die off rather quick, no lacing on the sides. There is some small bubbles rising up, so this is not all together dead. This sure as shit smells like a slice of pizza. It's all there with the basil and oregano showing off the most. Yep, just pizza in the scent, tomatoes as well. No real beer scents, just pizza. Well, this tastes like pizza, the spices used pop out real bold like with tomato pie flavor. Not hoppy, a bit of malt in the finish. Delivered as promised. Body is light and a bit watery, and the carbonation is very light. The aftertaste is tomato, but not long lingering. This is not something that I will go to at all, the flavor does not move me like that, but this beer lives up to its name, which scores points in my book.

12-02-2012 07:05:33 | More by BARFLYB
branko7

4.03/5  rDev +49.3%

I was pleasantly surprised by this ale. Its color was darker than I expected (light brown). The smell was a bit acrid, but I found the taste well-rounded and pleasant, with a subtle but unmistakeable pizza-like aftertaste. I would definitely drink this again.

I drank this beer fairly warm on a cold spring day, in a Chouffe goblet after letting the beer sit for a while to release its
carbonation.

DmanGTR

02-10-2013 17:09:04 | More by DmanGTR
pwoody11

Delaware

Thanks to domtronzero for this one.

I've been wanting to try this beer since I first read about it a few years ago, so I was very excited to try it when it came in.

This is a tough one for me to review. I gotta be honest, it was hard to enjoy it, but it's exactly what it advertises itself to be. The beer tastes like pizza. Sicilian pizza to be exact (the one without cheese, usually square shaped).

It took me nearly an hour to finish the beer. The aftertaste took a day or two to go away. I ended up drain pouring the last bit out.

I'd say it's a novelty beer, but something I think everyone should try at least once. I'd like to have a case at my house just to make guests drink it, because it tastes that much like a pizza.

09-06-2010 19:30:50 | More by pwoody11
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

I've been thinking about doing an ISO for this one for awhile now. It just intrigues me...not sure why. A recent trader happened to throw this bottle in as an extra! It wasn't even on my wants at the time. Well, here we go, I guess.

Okay, it pours a golden, yellow/orange color. (It tried to foam out of the bottle, upon opening, but I only lost about a mouthful.) The one-finger head of loose foam is white with a light orange tint to it. It recedes rather quickly. The lacing is okay, but it's very slick, so it doesn't stay around long.

I'm kind of stunned, now. This actually smells like pizza! You can pick out the notes of tomato, garlic and oregano fairly easily. The basil is not hard to find, either. You can smell the bread-like quality of pizza crust.
While the smell here is odd to associate with beer, it surely smells like they got what they were shooting for, so I have to score this category fairly high.

The spices are still easily spotted here. Oregano and garlic are now in the forefront, with tomato and basil pulling back a little bit. The crusty yeastiness is still here, as well.
Once again, scoring is based on my thought that they acheived what they were going for. It does taste like a pizza, inside of a beer.

Light-to-medium body on this one. It has a medium-to-high level of carbonation, which hurts it a little bit, IMO. You get a taste, on the back-end, that is similar to Alka Seltzer. I credit this to the carbonation combined with the spices.
The feel could be better.

To me, this is a novelty beer. I'm sure that there are people out there who like it, but I'm fine with just having this one. Okay, I guess that I'd probably like to have another one someday, but I can't see myself, or most other people, drinking these all night long.
Very interesting concept, but not really for me, I think.

EDIT: Over a week later and I find myself wishing that I had another one of these. Maybe it is for me, after all. Hope to get the chance to grab a few of these in a couple of months, when I vacation up north.

01-21-2010 04:52:34 | More by coldmeat23
KevdoggNasty

03-29-2012 05:58:24 | More by KevdoggNasty
pmcadamis

3.85/5  rDev +42.6%

This seemed interesting, so I had to pick it up and review it. Sounds like it could potentially be terrible... or it could be awesome since I do loves me some pizza. Here goes nothing....

A - Hazy orange with a short lived 1/2 inch cap of flimsy white fizz. A small amount of sudsy wet lace is left on the glass, and a quick swirl brings up a 1/2 inch head again.... but it immediately reduces to a thin wispy haze on top of the brew. I halfway expected this to look like red tomato sauce, but it looks like any old pale ale with a crappy head.

A - Holy crap! This does smell EXACTLY like pizza! I smell spicy tomato sauce, dried red peppers, mushrooms, and spicy sausage and pepperoni. This smells like my microwave after cooking those pizza bite snacks. Mozzarella cheese and crispy buttery crust. Its amazing to me that a beer can smell exactly like a pizza.

T - The flavor is not quite as good as the nose, but its much better than I expected. I thought that although this smells like pizza, it might taste like nasty thick tomato sauce. I an happily proved wrong by this tasty brew. Its odd to drink something that tastes like this, but its kind of like the beer version of a spicy bloody mary. Smoky, peppery, lively, and far from the foul concoction that I thought this one might turn out to be. Nice!

M - Light in body, crisp, and highly carbonated with a surprisingly neutral finish with a small hint of sausage-y spice and a lingering note of pepperoni.

D - Good, but not stellar. Although I'm glad that I tried this one, and would probably buy it again for the novelty, one is enough for me. Id like to try this with a pizza and see if it holds its own or is too much pizza flavor for one meal. Although its brewed here in the states, this is a much better "Italian" beer than the usual Italian beers or pitchers of macro swill you'd find at a pasta/pizza joint.

12-10-2008 17:42:23 | More by pmcadamis
dionisio

3.85/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer tastes really pizzaey. And that might sound like a strange idea, but it actually works perfectly, because the beer is quite yeasty and tastes like pizza crust, so the pizza flavors fit with it perfectly. I guess on just pure beer merits this is just decent, but the flavor is really delicious in my opinion. I would definitely drink this again. There's nothing at all I would fault this for, and the pizza flavor works surprisingly well. I drank this from a Chimay goblet.

07-20-2013 01:52:57 | More by dionisio
jwinship83

3.85/5  rDev +42.6%

16oz bottle picked up on clearance for 40 cents. drank out of my duvel tulip glass.

A- i didnt know what to expect, but this one pours out looking like a normal beer. clear golden colored body with a very small, quickly vanishing, white head. little to no lacing left behind.

S- it does manage to smell like a pizza. very odd. tomato sauce, herbs/spices, and garlic. unlike anything ive encountered before.

T- it also manages to taste a lot like pizza. garlic, basil, oregano, tomato....all present.

M- light bodied and highly carbonated.

D- definitely a one and done novelty beer. something thats nice to be able to say ive tried, but probably wont ever spend money on again. strangest beer ive ever had. i found this one a hard beer to score. its not something i was thrilled about, but the brewer started out with a plan for this one, and it was pulled off better than i would have expected.

12-14-2009 18:48:44 | More by jwinship83
scruffwhor

3.85/5  rDev +42.6%

Contract fr the Seefurth Family. Brewed with oregano, basil, tomato, and garlic. Interesting!!

The color looks like liquid pizza beer. Tomato mber mixed wth parmesan chee look. Very hazey and deep with no visible bubbles and no head. One of the most unique aromas I've ever smelled in a beer. The only time an aroma of cheese in a beer is ok. The combination of pizza spices just makes me think parmesan cheese. You can smell the spices very well with this beer. The first sip is up front herbal oregano and basil. The tomato and garlic hit the middle. Then all four meet at the end of the tongue to give a powedered parmesan pizza finish. Very vegetal and herbal palate. Just like liquid pizza,

03-21-2008 06:15:09 | More by scruffwhor
dirtylou

Washington

3.83/5  rDev +41.9%

yeah, i bought the pizza beer...2 bottles even, because its certainly a dangerous weapon in the intrigue department

appearance: pours into a stolen guinness glass - thanks pauls club...pours a pale-orange body, light beige froth but not much activity

smell: distinct something...garlic, pungent tomato, tons of basil, oregano and other spices. funky!

taste: i've heard a lot of negative vibes about this beer which i immediately dismiss. this beer takes chances and is original as it gets - i commend that. the flavor profile contains things you would never imagine to see in a beer (garlic and onions) but with heavy hints of sun dried tomatoes, salt, dough, and cheese. absolutely worth a try - live a little

mouthfeel: a tad spicy, light bodied but filling

drinkability: unfortunately this in the standard 16oz sprecher bottle - 8oz would be ideal

04-08-2008 02:48:05 | More by dirtylou
alleykatking

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%

Poured from 16oz bottle. The review on this one is based on the style and not personal preference....although I must say this is an interesting beer.

A- Pours a murky orange amber color. One finger white head that stays around for a short while. No real lacing at all...some streaks but all fall back into the glass.

S- Well this pretty much smells like it should. Rich in pizza dough, oregano, basil, with some light oxidation to it as well. There is some light tomato in this that I can pick up on in the ending.

T- This tastes like a pizza almost dead on. Light oxidation on the front end of this but the pizza flavors overtake it. An interesting beer to say the least. There is a light pils flavor in this as well. The yeasty dough comes through more than I would like but I couldn't really complain.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Dough flavor left on the palate with some basil, and oregano in the aftertaste. Flavors were clean and somewhat crisp. Very light with so many flavors going on.

D- This is a interesting beer to say the least. I wouldn't drink a whole lot of this but for a beer to deliver what it set out for...well it hit the head on the nail.

05-21-2010 03:52:49 | More by alleykatking
matjack85

02-12-2013 00:57:48 | More by matjack85
biggred1

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%

A-Hazy bronze with a slight head that quickly settles into a thin ring,no discenrnable lacing.

S-Oregano,basil and garlic,smells just like pizza.

T-Smooth spicy,malty taste with slight hop bitterness.Italian seasoning,garlicky nose influences the flavor,definately pizza in there.

M-Medium watery mouthfeel mildly carbonated.

D-This is much better than I thought it would be,tastes better than it sounds,unique and worth checking out.

05-07-2008 23:05:45 | More by biggred1