Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.
Ratings: 319 | Reviews: 170

This was the worst beverage I have ever tasted in my entire life. It started with spices and chunks of things floating in the beer, and only got worse. I love pizza, I love beer, and this product is a desecration to both. I'm worried that in the future, when I eat a pizza or drink a beer, I may be reminded of the taste of this beer, and be forced to vomit. If you ever see this beer in a store or restaurant, leave immediately and never return. Never return.

If all the beer in the world except for this was destroyed by nuclear war, I would ferment and drink my own urine before opening another bottle of pizza beer.

Wow, this was putrid. I will not even dare to give this swill a proper review other than to say it tastes and smells like a rancid pizza burp. Getting past the smell was a major challenge. When I finally worked up enough courage to taste it , chocking it down was hell.

1.06/5  rDev -60.9%

Stupidity in a bottle. Why does something like this exist? I read one of the reviews that said it smells like vomited beer and pizza. That about nails it. The taste is beyond words. What did I expect? It's beer with freaking basil, oregano and garlic in it. Garlic is not going to taste good in beer. That should be just about the most self-evident thing in the world. If you want an out of the ordinary conversation piece to put on a shelf, fine. But for the love of God don't open it.

1.06/5  rDev -60.9%

Just a cool looking bottle poured into my pint glass here.... Unfortunately, it is REALLY hard to blind some Sprecher beers. I was completely unaware until I grabbed it from the fridge and stupidly looked down at why the bottle was rough to my fingertips. Good thing I hadn't had much by them though, so this will be fun to try and guess what I got.

A- Pretty sad looking to be honest. Every glass I tried got just the barest hint of a head to form that was off-white in color. Good amount of carbonation above the honey, amber body.

S- Meaty... a bit of apple. Oh fu**.. I want to vomit. The smell of asparagus, rancid popcorn, stale bread. It just starts going nasty all over. I thought it was my glass and tried three different ones. Sulfur starts to be the mainstay at the end though. Just... can't... smell.. any more. Must.. destroy every batch... from 2008.. of this beer.

T- Makes me gag... I can barely get a couple drinks in of this beer. I've never had something this horrendous in flavor. The sulfur comes out strong, apple next.. some rancid sweet meat flavors after that. Holy fudge.. Mike wants to kill me.

M- Thin crisp.. I... I can barely manage to let it rest in my mouth for a moment. It causes instant puckering of my mouth in gag power.

D- Have you ever taken a drink of something.... so awful... so nasty... that your entire neck tenses up... your mouth purses begging to spit it out and you have to punch your leg to keep this liquid in your mouth just to judge the oral qualities of it?

That barely begins to describe the torture of this beer. Without a doubt.. the worst experience I have ever had with any food ever. I think the few drinks have caused me to be nauseous. I feel dizzy.. woozy from the experience. It is from 2008, day 81 of the year, batch 1419.

Sprecher... WTF! It is Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer.... God, I want to die.

Knowing full well what this crap is... I can smell the tomato, garlic from it. Hell, it is a tomato bomb with oregano crust, garlic seasoning, rancid meat, and death all rolled into one.

I gotta drain pour it. I refuse to give a second taste to see if I can pick out any other flavors.

1.06/5  rDev -60.9%

I hate giving these types of reviews. Homerbag was nice enough to trade with me, then generous enough to give me this as an extra (along with a Belgian Red. Thanks!). Now I'm going to trash this beer. Well, I still appreciate the chance to try it, as I certainly would have bought a bottle if I spotted in the store.

Pours a bright fizzy yellow. Doesn't look unpleasant. Just forgettable. The smell is truly bizarre. I had no idea how they were going to make beer taste like pizza (they didn't), but they really captured its essence in the smell. The aroma of moldy pizza dough and basil/oregano/pizza herbs wafted to my nose. My mind actually wanted to insert recollected smells such as cheese, even though they weren't there, that's how familiar it was.

The taste ... egads, the taste. So. Bad. Just an awful mixture of food herbs with carbonated, skunky water. This is up there with Samuel Adams Triple Bock and Gluek Ice as being simply undrinkable.

I drainpour a beer about once every two hundred reviews. This was absolutely disgusting. Even worse, I had to wait an hour before I trusted my palate to review anything else. I don't mind experimental brews, but we have to recognize that every once in a while things go awry.

1.08/5  rDev -60.1%

"A beer so good it deserves a wine glass!" So I brought out two wine glasses and split this with ryan011235, for which he was very excited.

Quite honestly I knew I was going to need help with this one. But in full disclosure this was on my wants for a while.

A- this beer hardly makes an attempt to look like beer. It has a strange pinkish hue (to borrow one from Seinfeld). It makes it look like a tainted glass of grapefruit juice.

S- Let this beauty warm to its proper serving temperature and you are greeted with large wafts of garbage and vomit. I guess I'm getting pizza spices but they come across as old, cold spaghetti-o's or the sauce from those gross pizza lunchables. Honestly it smells like a 5 year olds lunch box, only worse.

T- I can't say that this beer has invited me to take a drink. Ryan and I are in a stalemate over who will take the first taste... Its always me... After a considerable attempt at psyching myself up and while telling ryan he has to taste it to finish thre review, I finally got past the smell and hurried took a gulp. Thankfully the flavor isn't as powerful as the nose, but the fact that its flavors are detectable at all make this beer repulsive.

Some how there is a lot of cheese. Disgusting, processed cheese. Sun-rotten tomatoes, stomach acid, and rubber. It tastes like the floor of the kitchen at Hound Dogs pizza.

M- I'm guessing the base beer is some simple, cheap lager. It has that dry, overly prickly, ultra light body. Thing is it's body is slowed down by an oily, cheesy feeling.

D- I can't drink this. When your brain is utterly terrified to tage a sip because of the stench, it is very difficult to finish a glass.

In the case of BA reviewers being way too generous, this is exhibit A.

1.09/5  rDev -59.8%

Bought this bo-go at my local consumers beverages store. Poured from 16 oz bottle to a pint glass.

A- Very cloudy dark yellowish, muddy almost. Did not look good at all.

S- The smell was repugnant, like pure vinegar, wretched almost made me not want to even sip it.

T- I never tasted anything as bad as this, it was disgusting, tasted as it smelled vinegar. Vinegar? Who the hell wants to drink vinegar? Not me, really couldn't taste anything else.

M- Gross, spit it right out.

D- This is not drinkable at all and shouldn't be on shelves in a beer store. I've read a few reviews of this beer, and people have said it "actually tasted like pizza", now, I dunno if i had a bad batch of this or something but that would have to be some shitty pizza. I would never buy or sip this again not even as a gag, or on a bet.

1.11/5  rDev -59%

Poured into a wine glass on 12/23/10

MbpBugeye made me drink this; don't let him tell you otherwise

Let's get head retention out of the way: there isn't much of it; just a thin film & a minute collar. The color is that of nectar thickened apple juice while at rest, only cloudier & with more grainy sediment. Murky. Unpleasant.

This may be the worst smelling beer with which I have ever been plagued, second only to Hell or High Watermelon. Vomit, rotten tomato juice, Bare Tree 2007, landfill, sun-dried roadkill. Overpowering oregano & basil just make it worse. Dough. Truly awful.

The treachery of the aroma doesn't entirely carry over to the flavor but, man, this is not good. Processed cheese, oregano, basil, faint tomato, the burden of knowledge, self-loathing, squandered chances, wasted years, shame. It makes you question the choices you've made, how your life wound up like this & why you hurt the ones you love.

Thin & watery feel. Carbonation is average. Granular sediment is appreciable & unappreciated. Thankfully the finish is somewhat clean, with minimal residuals.

I fear I'll now have nightmares of rotten cheese, dough yeast, water, spoiled tomato paste, cut-rate herbs & a blender. This beer is what happens when your garbage disposal hates you.

1.12/5  rDev -58.7%

Bottle generously shared by nickd717. Thanks Nick, I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time.

Clear and golden in the glass, the color of a lightly browned pizza crust. The head crackles away quickly, like pouring soda into a glass. Looks surprisingly like a normal beer, until...

The aroma is a stomach-churning combination of garlic, oregano, basil, marinara sauce and putrefaction. When ice-cold it smells like a pizza that's been sitting out on the kitchen counter for a few days, but warmer temperatures and vigorous swirling reveal the vomit-inducing stench of decay and pale malt. This might be the worst thing I've ever smelled in my life, and I would give this a negative 5 in aroma if I could. Given that I can only give it a 1, I'm going to have to dock other scores.

The taste, while still utterly horrific, isn't quite on the same nausea-inducing level as the aroma. It tastes largely like pizza crust and herbs that have been soaking in a stale, sun-kissed bottle of Miller High Life. The body is watery and thin and there's a surprising buttery diacetyl presence that, when combined with the strong garlic flavor, makes me think of garlic bitter. As delicious as that sounds, it has no place in beer.

In summary, this is surely one of the worst beverages I've ever tasted. In that sense, it totally lived up to my expectations, possibly even surpassed them. I feel bad for anyone that actually spent money on this beer, though.

1.14/5  rDev -57.9%

5/21/2011

Thanks Terri! Poured into a tasting glass. It smells like an alien pizza sauce. Huge tomato and basil notes blend with oregano and garlic. The vegetal character is just horrendous. Awful smell. The flavor is just as bad, with a brutal blast of oregano and basil with a disgusting artificial tomato flavor. Epicly bad stuff.

1.23/5  rDev -54.6%

16 oz bottle poured into an Imperial Pint, not a "wine glass". 09324 on the neck.

A - Pours a hazy golden yellow with a thick two-finger white head. Solid retention and heavy lace on the way down the glass.

S - I got a whiff of pizza sauce when I screwed the cap off but after pouring it into the pint the first whiff made me gag. In fact every subsequent whiff gives me the same reaction. The nose is a horrific blend of spices and rotten tomatoes with a potent garlic scent. Underlying malt and barley present though. It really makes me want to vomit.

T - I'm gonna prepare myself for this by bringing my garbage can over cause I'm still nauseated by the nose... Mild pale malts behind an absolutely intolerable, revolting flavor. The tomato tastes rancid and spices make it worse. The garlic, which I normally love, is absolutely disgusting here.

M - I took one more sip for the mouthfeel and honest-to-god almost threw up. It's medium-light bodied and moderately carbonated with a spicy finish.

D - Two sips and down the drain with this god-awful pint of barfbeer. This has to be THE worst beer I've ever had in my entire life. I've never found a beer to be so undrinkable it's made me a whiff away from puking. I have no idea where they get off saying "Beer so good it deserves a wine glass." and honestly, I'm even more appalled Sprecher would a) sell it in their gift shop and b) use their logo-embossed bottles for this when they only contract brew it (which is why I won't tarnish Sprecher with a review this terrible). I love pizza, It's one of my favorites, don't get me wrong, but this is just awful.

1.26/5  rDev -53.5%

pours golden orange with plenty of spices floating around - almost no head and left no lacing

smells like pizza - the sauce spice crust cheeze - its all there - BUT after a few sips the smell makes me want to vomit

taste is much like the smell - this is liquid pizza - now as much as i love pizza .. i never want to have it beer form

mouthfeel - light well carbonated - just average

drinkability - awful - this is the beer that sceams never again

1.27/5  rDev -53.1%

16oz bottle, about 14oz too many. Into a wine glass

A: Amber with a white head that recedes rather quick. Decent carbonation

S: Gross. Vomited beer + pizza. The beer component is noticeable, but the combination of tomato, garlic an oregano is truly revolting, especially when combined with the malt sweetness.

T: Gose Gone Wild! Salty, sweet, spicy and garlic. Can't drink this

M: Light, spritzy and garlicy finish

D: Thanks, but I'll pass. My morbid curiosity has been satisfied

1.34/5  rDev -50.6%

Got this beer from a friend and we were pretty excited on trying this new beer out. It was poured into two pint glasses. It looked like an average beer without any head. It's very hazy and you can see the herbs( I'm pretty sure it wasn't yeast floating around).It's aroam is very vinegary, i reminded me of a mixture of Worchestershire sauce and red vinegar mixed together and the taste resembled the aromas down to a "T". I would say try this beer if you have an adventurous spirit, otherwise just stay away from it, it really requires an accquired taste.

1.39/5  rDev -48.7%

"From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic"

In bottle of my glass there was little pieces of shit, probably the spices...

Got this as from a guy at work. Thanks a bunch...Thankfully I didn't have the whole bottle to my self. Had about a 8oz pour and could only stomach 5 of it...

Pours a piss yellow hardly any head...I had this with pizza but the wrong kind, a crappy frozen pepperoni pizza I'm guessing should be with a big greasy garlicky Italian kind...Smelled like a hint of nasty garlic and pukey oregano./ Doesn't taste as bad as the smell but after you breathe again yikeS nasty!!!

So my motto is, if you don't like it...chug it...but not possible with with this garbage. DP! DRAIN POUR!!!!

1.46/5  rDev -46.1%

Picked this up out of curiosity in Madison. It's not available in KS, so what the hell?

A: Looks like beer. Bright light orange with a shockingly large head that dissipated surprisingly quickly.

S: This is where it starts to go downhill. It smells like pizza, as promised, but the pizza in the nose is terrible, month-old pizza. The scent is vaguely reminiscent of discovering an ancient, possibly-five-week-old Domino's pizza under a friend's futon back in the days of the dorms. Appalling.

T: Wow, sad times. It tastes like it smells, but worse. There's definitely oregano, tomato, and other pizza spices in there, but they are all horrible perverted. Just... bad. I drank a couple sips and passed it around to my friends so they could also experience the pain, but we eventually ended up chucking the balance. It's always sad to throw a beer, and it's not something I do lightly, but this is definitely an occasion of necessity.

M: Watery - starts out overly carbonated and then deteriorates to being entirely flat as time progresses.

D: As previously stated, this didn't even merit completion. Horrible.

Note: My friends were all super-sad when they saw the Sprecher name on the bottle, and some vowed to stop trying Sprecher products even after I explained that it is contract-brewed. So, if anyone from Sprecher is reading this... now you know.

1.64/5  rDev -39.5%

thanks for the extra! Split among friends, poured into SA Chocolate Bock tulip.

A- Bland boring yellow pour with a fizzy head that fizzes out quickly. Very poor pour.

S- Aroma is that of a pizza. Can't knock it here.. smells like garlic and tomato.

T- Bready, watery, slight vegetable notes. Grainy. Terrible base beer is accentuated with disgusting flavors- I burped due to the high carbonation and was greeted with tomato and garlic flavors. No thanks.

M- High carbonation, super light body.

D- Drainpour of my 1/3 of the bottle. Could not/would not drink again. My buddy was the only one who liked it and ended up drinking all the samples. But he also paid money to see 'Dragon Wars' in theatres, so his judgement is in question.

1.69/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this to give it a try. What the heck.

The smell was like sniffing a spice rack that had a stale beer dumped on it. The color *looked* like beer, with a slight red to it.

I took a swallow and thought I had accidentally got some orageno around the lip of my glass and was drinking a V8. Gag.

While not the worst beer I have ever tasted, it is now become the gag beer I take over the friends' beer events and sneak it into the mix.

Definitely not a beer to be taken seriously. Which may explain the unsold cases of it sitting around the Roundhouse in Aurora.

1.77/5  rDev -34.7%

So, I must confess I didn't have any pizza with this beer, but I must say that by itself I found it to be pretty awful. It smells a bit like cooked corn, and tastes like cooked corn and raw pizza dough, and I couldn't tell you the last time I had a craving for a beer that tasted like that.

It poured into my glass to reveal a straw-colored body which was cloudy and unappealing. There was no head. Aroma was a bit composte-like (mercaptan) and cooked corn (DMS). Flavor was where I got the pizza resemblence. The flavor was a raw dough flavor, which was reminiscent to me of the last time I played with Play-Do. There was some oregano flavor as well. Not good. Not drinkable.

I would not recommend this beer, regardless of what you're eating.

I split this bottle with SurlySober, who bought it as something of a lark.

1.82/5  rDev -32.8%

- ale brewed with oregano, basil, tomato, and garlic.

A: Dense orange with a feverish pitch of carbonation fills the vessel. The head is good, 2 finger solid, marshmellow structure, pearl white color with a sturdy show of retention. So far not bad.

S: Aroma of garlic and basil and tomato sauce (not sure if sauce is subliminal but sure is pronounced enough for me to think otherwise). Oregano and bread crust is dominant as well. There is a weird touch of pizza box lingering about. It smells like it should with a light to moderate level of awareness. Was it enticing? no. but what would you expect from this combination.

T: Flavor of sweet malt upfront, muted spicing, bread crust and basil come through. The nose was much more defined, a good thing or bad thing? I have to say with every approach just before you sip i would get a weird sensantion of warm pizza sauce, soggy cardboard, and throw up. The flavor and taste isnt nearly as bad as the approach, but from then on it comes off as damaged goods and is a big turn off. Warm pizza sauce and garlic hints upon warming.

M: Spritzy malty and saucy mouthful but in the end unimpressive. A bright spot of oranges upon the hold and swallow seems odd and misplaced, but somewhat of a welcome considering.

O: The beer started out interesting enough, sure i played along, an ok visual, an aroma of what was expected, though not necessarily enticing. In the end the flavor is what sends this over the cliff. Pizza and beer are fine individually, just not together. Overall a gag drink, that will no doubt make you gag in the end. A novelty sale only. Even dave's chilli creek was a bit more tolerabe then this one. Run, do not walk as far away as possible when you see this. A great gag gift for that snobbish beer drinker you dont like, how do you think i got a hold of this?

1.89/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden color with a lot of visible carbonation and a foamy tan head.

S: Uh oh. This smells like a pizza. Or more like the sauce of a pizza that's been left in the box for about a day. I get a lot of tomato, oregano and basil.

T: Gross. Basil and tomato along with hints of grain and yeast. Honestly, don't try this. It's nearly undrinkable. So much pizza flavor here that it's nearly unbearable. This was a drainpour after about three sips.

1.89/5  rDev -30.3%

pours a lively hazed amber with highlights of straw and a half inch fizzy white head that quickly dissipates. the smell is bold pizza sauce, which basically included oregano, garlic, bad tomatoes, and bready crusts. so... the goal was reached, but this is not appetizing to me. the tomato i got was more like ketchup (which doesn't go too well on pizza) and the sour yeast smell in the backround just jarred the senses. it was like getting sea sick smelling a beer. i knew it was a beer, but my brain started over loading. the flavor is very light and thankfully doesn't translate the smell. i just get bready yeast and very grainy corn adjunct that is short and stinging. it had a garlic aftertaste, which would be ok if it wasn't a friggin' beer. i need to go brush my teeth. i was the only one in the room of five that finished the beer.

1.91/5  rDev -29.5%

There is a nice honey gold coloring to it. It is cloudy, but not so cloudy you can't see through it. Almost no head formed when I poured it. What did was thin and white. It faded quickly leaving nothing on the top of the beer. There is also no lacing on the side of the glass at all.

The smell was something I had never experience in a beer before in my life. They did a decent job of capturing the smell of pizza. Unfortunately it smells like a cheap frozen pizza that someone sprinkled an Italian Seasoning blend on, but still Pizza. The Tomato, basil, oregano and Garlic really does overpower any other scent in the beer. What malts that can be detected blends with the other scents to give it kind of a doughy/crust scent. Now this may just be my imagination because of the type of beer it is and that was missing from the scent was pizza crust.

The taste is much like the scent. All you can really taste is the Tomato, Garlic and herbs that are added to it. There is also a bit of saltiness to it. Realistically this tastes like someone took a piece of the above cheap frozen pizza and let it soak in a keystone light for a while. The pizza tastes about washes out any standard ale flavors one would get. The aftertaste is a bit salty and overpower. Honestly, I couldn't imagine drinking this beer with anything other than maybe pizza.

This is a medium bodied beer. There is a light carbonation to it, but nothing biting.

Honestly, I can't believe I drank this whole beer. I've drank beers that are much worse than this, but not in a long time. I'm not sure if the people that make this novelty honestly think this is a good beer or if they make it as more for entertainment. IE, in college I had a friend that used to make the most god awful punch for parties; nobody liked it, not even him. Yet he made it for every party because inevitably it would get drank in its entirety because people would bet each other they couldn't drink it, or do the ol' switcharoo and give it to some unsuspecting individual. The fact that I drank this willingly just speaks volumes to how far I'll go to review a beer.

1.91/5  rDev -29.5%

This is one of the most bizarre beers I've had in ages. I can't even really give a very good review due to the fact that it's just ridiculous. I will try though.

A - Yellowish Orange Haze with barely any head that just goes away as soon as you blink.

S - Pizza. I can't even think of what else this has in it cause it just throws me off so much. It smells like sauce, cheese, and crust that's been cooked and sold by the slice.

T - Pizza. Everything that's going on in pizza is in this, which I bet is actually very difficult to do. Yet, it's not a good taste for a beer at all and therefore a bad idea...should never have been done.

M - really light for the amount of flavor it has. it's just a super watery finish that i don't care for by any means.

D - I would never drink this again, but I don't think I would stop someone from drinking it. It's just absolutely insanely weird and I think everyone should try this once.

1.98/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours a murky orange. a bit of white head.. not really good looking. Smells like butter and wheat. maybe some tomato on the nose. Tastes sweet and buterry. Its kinda gross but I can definitely taste a bit of pizza in it. Wheat, tomato and oregano are fairly prominent. Its not awful but its certainly not good...

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company