Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

poor

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008)
View: Beers (1) |  Events

06-01-2013 00:53:19 | More by brez8791
NoProblem

04-29-2012 00:51:32 | More by NoProblem
adapore2

This was the worst beverage I have ever tasted in my entire life. It started with spices and chunks of things floating in the beer, and only got worse. I love pizza, I love beer, and this product is a desecration to both. I'm worried that in the future, when I eat a pizza or drink a beer, I may be reminded of the taste of this beer, and be forced to vomit. If you ever see this beer in a store or restaurant, leave immediately and never return. Never return.

If all the beer in the world except for this was destroyed by nuclear war, I would ferment and drink my own urine before opening another bottle of pizza beer.

03-13-2010 05:09:23 | More by adapore2
Stevedore

06-17-2013 03:04:45 | More by Stevedore
Boonedog

09-03-2013 17:47:54 | More by Boonedog
DrkNite12

Wow, this was putrid. I will not even dare to give this swill a proper review other than to say it tastes and smells like a rancid pizza burp. Getting past the smell was a major challenge. When I finally worked up enough courage to taste it , chocking it down was hell.

03-04-2013 21:49:49 | More by DrkNite12

lonewolfcry

03-15-2014 03:01:54 | More by lonewolfcry
lester619

1.05/5  rDev -61.1%

Stupidity in a bottle. Why does something like this exist? I read one of the reviews that said it smells like vomited beer and pizza. That about nails it. The taste is beyond words. What did I expect? It's beer with freaking basil, oregano and garlic in it. Garlic is not going to taste good in beer. That should be just about the most self-evident thing in the world. If you want an out of the ordinary conversation piece to put on a shelf, fine. But for the love of God don't open it.

02-04-2010 23:35:24 | More by lester619
Khazadum

1.05/5  rDev -61.1%

Just a cool looking bottle poured into my pint glass here.... Unfortunately, it is REALLY hard to blind some Sprecher beers. I was completely unaware until I grabbed it from the fridge and stupidly looked down at why the bottle was rough to my fingertips. Good thing I hadn't had much by them though, so this will be fun to try and guess what I got.

A- Pretty sad looking to be honest. Every glass I tried got just the barest hint of a head to form that was off-white in color. Good amount of carbonation above the honey, amber body.

S- Meaty... a bit of apple. Oh fu**.. I want to vomit. The smell of asparagus, rancid popcorn, stale bread. It just starts going nasty all over. I thought it was my glass and tried three different ones. Sulfur starts to be the mainstay at the end though. Just... can't... smell.. any more. Must.. destroy every batch... from 2008.. of this beer.

T- Makes me gag... I can barely get a couple drinks in of this beer. I've never had something this horrendous in flavor. The sulfur comes out strong, apple next.. some rancid sweet meat flavors after that. Holy fudge.. Mike wants to kill me.

M- Thin crisp.. I... I can barely manage to let it rest in my mouth for a moment. It causes instant puckering of my mouth in gag power.

D- Have you ever taken a drink of something.... so awful... so nasty... that your entire neck tenses up... your mouth purses begging to spit it out and you have to punch your leg to keep this liquid in your mouth just to judge the oral qualities of it?

That barely begins to describe the torture of this beer. Without a doubt.. the worst experience I have ever had with any food ever. I think the few drinks have caused me to be nauseous. I feel dizzy.. woozy from the experience. It is from 2008, day 81 of the year, batch 1419.

Sprecher... WTF! It is Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer.... God, I want to die.

Knowing full well what this crap is... I can smell the tomato, garlic from it. Hell, it is a tomato bomb with oregano crust, garlic seasoning, rancid meat, and death all rolled into one.

I gotta drain pour it. I refuse to give a second taste to see if I can pick out any other flavors.

03-15-2011 02:16:22 | More by Khazadum
Overlord

1.05/5  rDev -61.1%

I hate giving these types of reviews. Homerbag was nice enough to trade with me, then generous enough to give me this as an extra (along with a Belgian Red. Thanks!). Now I'm going to trash this beer. Well, I still appreciate the chance to try it, as I certainly would have bought a bottle if I spotted in the store.

Pours a bright fizzy yellow. Doesn't look unpleasant. Just forgettable. The smell is truly bizarre. I had no idea how they were going to make beer taste like pizza (they didn't), but they really captured its essence in the smell. The aroma of moldy pizza dough and basil/oregano/pizza herbs wafted to my nose. My mind actually wanted to insert recollected smells such as cheese, even though they weren't there, that's how familiar it was.

The taste ... egads, the taste. So. Bad. Just an awful mixture of food herbs with carbonated, skunky water. This is up there with Samuel Adams Triple Bock and Gluek Ice as being simply undrinkable.

I drainpour a beer about once every two hundred reviews. This was absolutely disgusting. Even worse, I had to wait an hour before I trusted my palate to review anything else. I don't mind experimental brews, but we have to recognize that every once in a while things go awry.

07-03-2008 08:12:53 | More by Overlord
gabedivision

1.08/5  rDev -60%

Bought this bo-go at my local consumers beverages store. Poured from 16 oz bottle to a pint glass.

A- Very cloudy dark yellowish, muddy almost. Did not look good at all.

S- The smell was repugnant, like pure vinegar, wretched almost made me not want to even sip it.

T- I never tasted anything as bad as this, it was disgusting, tasted as it smelled vinegar. Vinegar? Who the hell wants to drink vinegar? Not me, really couldn't taste anything else.

M- Gross, spit it right out.

D- This is not drinkable at all and shouldn't be on shelves in a beer store. I've read a few reviews of this beer, and people have said it "actually tasted like pizza", now, I dunno if i had a bad batch of this or something but that would have to be some shitty pizza. I would never buy or sip this again not even as a gag, or on a bet.

01-24-2011 03:38:45 | More by gabedivision
MbpBugeye

1.08/5  rDev -60%

"A beer so good it deserves a wine glass!" So I brought out two wine glasses and split this with ryan011235, for which he was very excited.

Quite honestly I knew I was going to need help with this one. But in full disclosure this was on my wants for a while.

A- this beer hardly makes an attempt to look like beer. It has a strange pinkish hue (to borrow one from Seinfeld). It makes it look like a tainted glass of grapefruit juice.

S- Let this beauty warm to its proper serving temperature and you are greeted with large wafts of garbage and vomit. I guess I'm getting pizza spices but they come across as old, cold spaghetti-o's or the sauce from those gross pizza lunchables. Honestly it smells like a 5 year olds lunch box, only worse.

T- I can't say that this beer has invited me to take a drink. Ryan and I are in a stalemate over who will take the first taste... Its always me... After a considerable attempt at psyching myself up and while telling ryan he has to taste it to finish thre review, I finally got past the smell and hurried took a gulp. Thankfully the flavor isn't as powerful as the nose, but the fact that its flavors are detectable at all make this beer repulsive.

Some how there is a lot of cheese. Disgusting, processed cheese. Sun-rotten tomatoes, stomach acid, and rubber. It tastes like the floor of the kitchen at Hound Dogs pizza.

M- I'm guessing the base beer is some simple, cheap lager. It has that dry, overly prickly, ultra light body. Thing is it's body is slowed down by an oily, cheesy feeling.

D- I can't drink this. When your brain is utterly terrified to tage a sip because of the stench, it is very difficult to finish a glass.

In the case of BA reviewers being way too generous, this is exhibit A.

12-23-2010 07:45:23 | More by MbpBugeye
largadeer

1.1/5  rDev -59.3%

Bottle generously shared by nickd717. Thanks Nick, I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time.

Clear and golden in the glass, the color of a lightly browned pizza crust. The head crackles away quickly, like pouring soda into a glass. Looks surprisingly like a normal beer, until...

The aroma is a stomach-churning combination of garlic, oregano, basil, marinara sauce and putrefaction. When ice-cold it smells like a pizza that's been sitting out on the kitchen counter for a few days, but warmer temperatures and vigorous swirling reveal the vomit-inducing stench of decay and pale malt. This might be the worst thing I've ever smelled in my life, and I would give this a negative 5 in aroma if I could. Given that I can only give it a 1, I'm going to have to dock other scores.

The taste, while still utterly horrific, isn't quite on the same nausea-inducing level as the aroma. It tastes largely like pizza crust and herbs that have been soaking in a stale, sun-kissed bottle of Miller High Life. The body is watery and thin and there's a surprising buttery diacetyl presence that, when combined with the strong garlic flavor, makes me think of garlic bitter. As delicious as that sounds, it has no place in beer.

In summary, this is surely one of the worst beverages I've ever tasted. In that sense, it totally lived up to my expectations, possibly even surpassed them. I feel bad for anyone that actually spent money on this beer, though.

11-30-2009 03:52:46 | More by largadeer
Ryan011235

1.1/5  rDev -59.3%

Poured into a wine glass on 12/23/10

MbpBugeye made me drink this; don't let him tell you otherwise

Let's get head retention out of the way: there isn't much of it; just a thin film & a minute collar. The color is that of nectar thickened apple juice while at rest, only cloudier & with more grainy sediment. Murky. Unpleasant.

This may be the worst smelling beer with which I have ever been plagued, second only to Hell or High Watermelon. Vomit, rotten tomato juice, Bare Tree 2007, landfill, sun-dried roadkill. Overpowering oregano & basil just make it worse. Dough. Truly awful.

The treachery of the aroma doesn't entirely carry over to the flavor but, man, this is not good. Processed cheese, oregano, basil, faint tomato, the burden of knowledge, self-loathing, squandered chances, wasted years, shame. It makes you question the choices you've made, how your life wound up like this & why you hurt the ones you love.

Thin & watery feel. Carbonation is average. Granular sediment is appreciable & unappreciated. Thankfully the finish is somewhat clean, with minimal residuals.

I fear I'll now have nightmares of rotten cheese, dough yeast, water, spoiled tomato paste, cut-rate herbs & a blender. This beer is what happens when your garbage disposal hates you.

12-23-2010 07:57:48 | More by Ryan011235
HopHead84

1.13/5  rDev -58.1%

5/21/2011

Thanks Terri! Poured into a tasting glass. It smells like an alien pizza sauce. Huge tomato and basil notes blend with oregano and garlic. The vegetal character is just horrendous. Awful smell. The flavor is just as bad, with a brutal blast of oregano and basil with a disgusting artificial tomato flavor. Epicly bad stuff.

05-22-2011 03:19:59 | More by HopHead84
BeerFMAndy

1.2/5  rDev -55.6%

16 oz bottle poured into an Imperial Pint, not a "wine glass". 09324 on the neck.

A - Pours a hazy golden yellow with a thick two-finger white head. Solid retention and heavy lace on the way down the glass.

S - I got a whiff of pizza sauce when I screwed the cap off but after pouring it into the pint the first whiff made me gag. In fact every subsequent whiff gives me the same reaction. The nose is a horrific blend of spices and rotten tomatoes with a potent garlic scent. Underlying malt and barley present though. It really makes me want to vomit.

T - I'm gonna prepare myself for this by bringing my garbage can over cause I'm still nauseated by the nose... Mild pale malts behind an absolutely intolerable, revolting flavor. The tomato tastes rancid and spices make it worse. The garlic, which I normally love, is absolutely disgusting here.

M - I took one more sip for the mouthfeel and honest-to-god almost threw up. It's medium-light bodied and moderately carbonated with a spicy finish.

D - Two sips and down the drain with this god-awful pint of barfbeer. This has to be THE worst beer I've ever had in my entire life. I've never found a beer to be so undrinkable it's made me a whiff away from puking. I have no idea where they get off saying "Beer so good it deserves a wine glass." and honestly, I'm even more appalled Sprecher would a) sell it in their gift shop and b) use their logo-embossed bottles for this when they only contract brew it (which is why I won't tarnish Sprecher with a review this terrible). I love pizza, It's one of my favorites, don't get me wrong, but this is just awful.

02-09-2010 00:04:04 | More by BeerFMAndy
jsh420

1.25/5  rDev -53.7%

pours golden orange with plenty of spices floating around - almost no head and left no lacing

smells like pizza - the sauce spice crust cheeze - its all there - BUT after a few sips the smell makes me want to vomit

taste is much like the smell - this is liquid pizza - now as much as i love pizza .. i never want to have it beer form

mouthfeel - light well carbonated - just average

drinkability - awful - this is the beer that sceams never again

10-21-2009 03:54:23 | More by jsh420