Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

poor

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008)

glaketek, Mar 09, 2012

kkmiller76, Aug 18, 2013

eyemustard, Apr 01, 2013

16oz bottle, about 14oz too many. Into a wine glass

A: Amber with a white head that recedes rather quick. Decent carbonation

S: Gross. Vomited beer + pizza. The beer component is noticeable, but the combination of tomato, garlic an oregano is truly revolting, especially when combined with the malt sweetness.

T: Gose Gone Wild! Salty, sweet, spicy and garlic. Can't drink this

M: Light, spritzy and garlicy finish

D: Thanks, but I'll pass. My morbid curiosity has been satisfied

DefenCorps, Mar 12, 2009
1.33/5  rDev -50.7%

Got this beer from a friend and we were pretty excited on trying this new beer out. It was poured into two pint glasses. It looked like an average beer without any head. It's very hazy and you can see the herbs( I'm pretty sure it wasn't yeast floating around).It's aroam is very vinegary, i reminded me of a mixture of Worchestershire sauce and red vinegar mixed together and the taste resembled the aromas down to a "T". I would say try this beer if you have an adventurous spirit, otherwise just stay away from it, it really requires an accquired taste.

vickersspitfire, Nov 21, 2011
1.4/5  rDev -48.1%

"From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic"

In bottle of my glass there was little pieces of shit, probably the spices...

Got this as from a guy at work. Thanks a bunch...Thankfully I didn't have the whole bottle to my self. Had about a 8oz pour and could only stomach 5 of it...

Pours a piss yellow hardly any head...I had this with pizza but the wrong kind, a crappy frozen pepperoni pizza I'm guessing should be with a big greasy garlicky Italian kind...Smelled like a hint of nasty garlic and pukey oregano./ Doesn't taste as bad as the smell but after you breathe again yikeS nasty!!!

So my motto is, if you don't like it...chug it...but not possible with with this garbage. DP! DRAIN POUR!!!!

minnunderground, Jan 31, 2010
1.4/5  rDev -48.1%

Picked this up out of curiosity in Madison. It's not available in KS, so what the hell?

A: Looks like beer. Bright light orange with a shockingly large head that dissipated surprisingly quickly.

S: This is where it starts to go downhill. It smells like pizza, as promised, but the pizza in the nose is terrible, month-old pizza. The scent is vaguely reminiscent of discovering an ancient, possibly-five-week-old Domino's pizza under a friend's futon back in the days of the dorms. Appalling.

T: Wow, sad times. It tastes like it smells, but worse. There's definitely oregano, tomato, and other pizza spices in there, but they are all horrible perverted. Just... bad. I drank a couple sips and passed it around to my friends so they could also experience the pain, but we eventually ended up chucking the balance. It's always sad to throw a beer, and it's not something I do lightly, but this is definitely an occasion of necessity.

M: Watery - starts out overly carbonated and then deteriorates to being entirely flat as time progresses.

D: As previously stated, this didn't even merit completion. Horrible.

Note: My friends were all super-sad when they saw the Sprecher name on the bottle, and some vowed to stop trying Sprecher products even after I explained that it is contract-brewed. So, if anyone from Sprecher is reading this... now you know.

jenitivecase, Oct 20, 2008

kenm2118, Dec 30, 2012

PHBoiler, Apr 19, 2013

TypsiYpsi, Feb 17, 2014
1.55/5  rDev -42.6%

thanks for the extra! Split among friends, poured into SA Chocolate Bock tulip.

A- Bland boring yellow pour with a fizzy head that fizzes out quickly. Very poor pour.

S- Aroma is that of a pizza. Can't knock it here.. smells like garlic and tomato.

T- Bready, watery, slight vegetable notes. Grainy. Terrible base beer is accentuated with disgusting flavors- I burped due to the high carbonation and was greeted with tomato and garlic flavors. No thanks.

M- High carbonation, super light body.

D- Drainpour of my 1/3 of the bottle. Could not/would not drink again. My buddy was the only one who liked it and ended up drinking all the samples. But he also paid money to see 'Dragon Wars' in theatres, so his judgement is in question.

ShogoKawada, Nov 02, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this to give it a try. What the heck.

The smell was like sniffing a spice rack that had a stale beer dumped on it. The color *looked* like beer, with a slight red to it.

I took a swallow and thought I had accidentally got some orageno around the lip of my glass and was drinking a V8. Gag.

While not the worst beer I have ever tasted, it is now become the gag beer I take over the friends' beer events and sneak it into the mix.

Definitely not a beer to be taken seriously. Which may explain the unsold cases of it sitting around the Roundhouse in Aurora.

nightcrawler, Oct 24, 2008

LJWalker, Feb 08, 2013

drewone, Dec 05, 2012

hilgart1, Oct 03, 2012

mrfrancis, Jul 02, 2013
1.78/5  rDev -34.1%

- ale brewed with oregano, basil, tomato, and garlic.

A: Dense orange with a feverish pitch of carbonation fills the vessel. The head is good, 2 finger solid, marshmellow structure, pearl white color with a sturdy show of retention. So far not bad.

S: Aroma of garlic and basil and tomato sauce (not sure if sauce is subliminal but sure is pronounced enough for me to think otherwise). Oregano and bread crust is dominant as well. There is a weird touch of pizza box lingering about. It smells like it should with a light to moderate level of awareness. Was it enticing? no. but what would you expect from this combination.

T: Flavor of sweet malt upfront, muted spicing, bread crust and basil come through. The nose was much more defined, a good thing or bad thing? I have to say with every approach just before you sip i would get a weird sensantion of warm pizza sauce, soggy cardboard, and throw up. The flavor and taste isnt nearly as bad as the approach, but from then on it comes off as damaged goods and is a big turn off. Warm pizza sauce and garlic hints upon warming.

M: Spritzy malty and saucy mouthful but in the end unimpressive. A bright spot of oranges upon the hold and swallow seems odd and misplaced, but somewhat of a welcome considering.

O: The beer started out interesting enough, sure i played along, an ok visual, an aroma of what was expected, though not necessarily enticing. In the end the flavor is what sends this over the cliff. Pizza and beer are fine individually, just not together. Overall a gag drink, that will no doubt make you gag in the end. A novelty sale only. Even dave's chilli creek was a bit more tolerabe then this one. Run, do not walk as far away as possible when you see this. A great gag gift for that snobbish beer drinker you dont like, how do you think i got a hold of this?

beerthulhu, Jan 09, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -33.3%

So, I must confess I didn't have any pizza with this beer, but I must say that by itself I found it to be pretty awful. It smells a bit like cooked corn, and tastes like cooked corn and raw pizza dough, and I couldn't tell you the last time I had a craving for a beer that tasted like that.

It poured into my glass to reveal a straw-colored body which was cloudy and unappealing. There was no head. Aroma was a bit composte-like (mercaptan) and cooked corn (DMS). Flavor was where I got the pizza resemblence. The flavor was a raw dough flavor, which was reminiscent to me of the last time I played with Play-Do. There was some oregano flavor as well. Not good. Not drinkable.

I would not recommend this beer, regardless of what you're eating.

I split this bottle with SurlySober, who bought it as something of a lark.

BeerBelcher, Apr 06, 2008
1.85/5  rDev -31.5%

A: Pours a slightly cloudy, pale golden color with a lot of visible carbonation and a foamy tan head.

S: Uh oh. This smells like a pizza. Or more like the sauce of a pizza that's been left in the box for about a day. I get a lot of tomato, oregano and basil.

T: Gross. Basil and tomato along with hints of grain and yeast. Honestly, don't try this. It's nearly undrinkable. So much pizza flavor here that it's nearly unbearable. This was a drainpour after about three sips.

notchucknorris, Jun 08, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -30.4%

There is a nice honey gold coloring to it. It is cloudy, but not so cloudy you can't see through it. Almost no head formed when I poured it. What did was thin and white. It faded quickly leaving nothing on the top of the beer. There is also no lacing on the side of the glass at all.

The smell was something I had never experience in a beer before in my life. They did a decent job of capturing the smell of pizza. Unfortunately it smells like a cheap frozen pizza that someone sprinkled an Italian Seasoning blend on, but still Pizza. The Tomato, basil, oregano and Garlic really does overpower any other scent in the beer. What malts that can be detected blends with the other scents to give it kind of a doughy/crust scent. Now this may just be my imagination because of the type of beer it is and that was missing from the scent was pizza crust.

The taste is much like the scent. All you can really taste is the Tomato, Garlic and herbs that are added to it. There is also a bit of saltiness to it. Realistically this tastes like someone took a piece of the above cheap frozen pizza and let it soak in a keystone light for a while. The pizza tastes about washes out any standard ale flavors one would get. The aftertaste is a bit salty and overpower. Honestly, I couldn't imagine drinking this beer with anything other than maybe pizza.

This is a medium bodied beer. There is a light carbonation to it, but nothing biting.

Honestly, I can't believe I drank this whole beer. I've drank beers that are much worse than this, but not in a long time. I'm not sure if the people that make this novelty honestly think this is a good beer or if they make it as more for entertainment. IE, in college I had a friend that used to make the most god awful punch for parties; nobody liked it, not even him. Yet he made it for every party because inevitably it would get drank in its entirety because people would bet each other they couldn't drink it, or do the ol' switcharoo and give it to some unsuspecting individual. The fact that I drank this willingly just speaks volumes to how far I'll go to review a beer.

Contagion, Apr 09, 2009