1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

Mamma Mia! Pizza BeerMamma Mia! Pizza Beer

poor

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008)
3.2/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hard not to judge this without being biased by the Pizza Smell/Taste claim.

Appearance: Orange colored with small cusp of head that remained thru drink.

Smell: Definitely smells like one of the chef-boyardee pizza kits that looks so good on the package but taste so darn awful.

Taste: Oregano, sauce, cheese....mmmm..getting hungry.

Overall: They achieved what they set out for-a beer that taste just like pizza. I see this going the way of the 3 Stooges Beer several years ago.

Kolsch, Jun 13, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +34.4%

Pint bottle with code number.

A- color is a clear amber with a thin head.
S- a lagerish aroma with fainter ones of the oregano and basil
T- simialr to a lighter lager, with weaker accompanied oregano, basil and garlic flavors.
M- rather light with the carbonation.
D- not a bad beer, but not something I would drink more than a few of.

Fartknocker, May 26, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +18.5%

I got this bottle in a trade with Nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

It pours a cloudy orange gold with a 2+ finger head of foam.

The smell has some sweet and some spice going on. I get notes of oregano and basil big time with a side order of tomatoes. Interesting.

The taste has those smells in the taste but not as overpowering as I was fearing. Nice bitter taste near the finish with more spice there as well. For a beer labelled as a Pizza Beer, I think they did a good job capturing the essence of pizza.

Good medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

Drinkability? 1 is definitely enough at one sitting but I'm somewhat surprised that I finished the bottle without a problem. Btw, head retention was very good and it had some decent lacing.

Bitterbill, Apr 10, 2009
3.28/5  rDev +21.5%

Bought partly as a gimmic and partly for the curriosity factor. Since I have pizza about eight days a week, this beer will make quite the nice pairing with a traditional Brooklyn style Pepperoni and mushroom slice of pie.

The beer opens with a standard Pilsner appearance. Straw to golden in color, ample carbonation that forms an initial head but the fizzy nature of the foam dissipates rather quickly with no lacing.

The aroma may be the bigger surprise. First, the strong pilsne malts take hold with a nice part-malt / part-grain profile. But next come the spices of oregano, basil, and tomatoes. Although the spices are strong, the malt aromas provides the steadfast aromas for the beer.

The beer's flavor also takes the shape of good Pilsners with the same malt-grain combination found in the nose. The spices make waves at mid palate but may come across in a more bitter fashion that flavor. Acidic tomatoes might also provide more to the aroma and mouthfeel than flavor. Ultimately favoring pilsner taste, but with spicy decoration and flair.

The texture of the beer may favor the grain portion of the pilsner malts over the maltiness. Assisited by the acidity of the tomatoes and the bitterness of the spices, the textures could use much more creaminess and richness to compensate. Hop bitterness weaves into and out of the spices and sometimes give a complex bitterness; but sometimes causes astringency and bitey-ness.

Of course the beer is quite a gimmic, but the beer is not a bust as a quality beverage. The average beer makes for great conversation, challenges the senses, and gives you another opportunity to say, "just when you thought you've seen it all...". The beer's first sip accompanies the pizza well, but after a few bites, the beer's flavors and nuances get washed out.

BEERchitect, Apr 10, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -30.4%

There is a nice honey gold coloring to it. It is cloudy, but not so cloudy you can't see through it. Almost no head formed when I poured it. What did was thin and white. It faded quickly leaving nothing on the top of the beer. There is also no lacing on the side of the glass at all.

The smell was something I had never experience in a beer before in my life. They did a decent job of capturing the smell of pizza. Unfortunately it smells like a cheap frozen pizza that someone sprinkled an Italian Seasoning blend on, but still Pizza. The Tomato, basil, oregano and Garlic really does overpower any other scent in the beer. What malts that can be detected blends with the other scents to give it kind of a doughy/crust scent. Now this may just be my imagination because of the type of beer it is and that was missing from the scent was pizza crust.

The taste is much like the scent. All you can really taste is the Tomato, Garlic and herbs that are added to it. There is also a bit of saltiness to it. Realistically this tastes like someone took a piece of the above cheap frozen pizza and let it soak in a keystone light for a while. The pizza tastes about washes out any standard ale flavors one would get. The aftertaste is a bit salty and overpower. Honestly, I couldn't imagine drinking this beer with anything other than maybe pizza.

This is a medium bodied beer. There is a light carbonation to it, but nothing biting.

Honestly, I can't believe I drank this whole beer. I've drank beers that are much worse than this, but not in a long time. I'm not sure if the people that make this novelty honestly think this is a good beer or if they make it as more for entertainment. IE, in college I had a friend that used to make the most god awful punch for parties; nobody liked it, not even him. Yet he made it for every party because inevitably it would get drank in its entirety because people would bet each other they couldn't drink it, or do the ol' switcharoo and give it to some unsuspecting individual. The fact that I drank this willingly just speaks volumes to how far I'll go to review a beer.

Contagion, Apr 09, 2009
2.7/5  rDev 0%

This beer had a neat concept. Brewed with spices associated with a pizza flavor. When I tried this brew it was not 100% chilled so that may be why my scores are low. It had a lighter color and was a neat beer to taste test, but not really drinkable over a few ounces.

FarmHouseJam, Apr 06, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -53.7%

16oz bottle, about 14oz too many. Into a wine glass

A: Amber with a white head that recedes rather quick. Decent carbonation

S: Gross. Vomited beer + pizza. The beer component is noticeable, but the combination of tomato, garlic an oregano is truly revolting, especially when combined with the malt sweetness.

T: Gose Gone Wild! Salty, sweet, spicy and garlic. Can't drink this

M: Light, spritzy and garlicy finish

D: Thanks, but I'll pass. My morbid curiosity has been satisfied

DefenCorps, Mar 12, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. It pours a clear, very light copper. A 1/4 inch head quickly recedes to no lacing.

The aroma is primarily like a malty lager with some notes of tomato, basil, and garlic, which are actually quite good.

The taste goes straight to the heart of pizza mixed with a nice malted beverage and good notes of tomato, basil, oregano, and a little less garlic although a nice garlicky taste and tingle lingers on the tongue.

The mouthfeel is fairly light bodied although this is made up for by a unique and reasonably good taste. There is an adequate level of carbonation and it is definitely not sticky.

Overall, this is a very interesting beer. I like the taste and overall presentation, although the mouthfeel could have been better. I can't say that I'd want to drink it frequently, but it is definitely worth trying and enjoying, as I was surprised by the quality. I will be having it again.

SykDoc, Feb 18, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +30.7%

Thanks trey for sharing this novelty purchase with me. I have no idea what to expect with this one.

My buddy described the look as attractive, and I'd have to agree. The body is a semi hazy pale orange with pink tones. I had no head (inside joke that plays off of a few recurring themes). Not stunning, but exceeded expectations thus far.

WOW. This smells exactly like a freshly baked pizza. Tons of tomato, parmesan, oregano, and lots of garlic. They were really spot on with the smell of this one, I really could just sit here and smell this beer all night.

The taste is a little weird as it doesn't match the profoundness of the smell. The components that stick out the most are garlic and tomato, with the malts providing a little bit sweetness. Oregano is present. This beer really doesn't taste bad, if anything like a traditional lager with spices. I could easily drink another one of these, especially while scarfing down a slice of pie.

CoolJosh, Jan 29, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +63%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I am reviewing this beer based on its "pizzability", that is to say, if it tastes and smells like pizza. Keep that in mind as this score is high compared to others.

Nothing special in the appearance. Slightly hazy dark golden in color with a small white head that disappears immediately. No lacing and no head retention.

Aroma is pure pizza heaven. Say what you will, there is no way (atleast to my knowledge) that another beer smells as much like pizza as this one. Garlic, marinara sauce, basil, onion, the whole lot. I am imagining this one is pepperoni with green pepper and garlic crust.

Again, pure pizza with beer mixed in. I already have that pizza taste in my mouth with the garlic and herb sauce and I have had only three or four sips. All I taste is pizza.

As repugnant as this beer sounds, if you want a beer to taste like pizza, I dont know houw this doesnt fit the bill to a T. Sure, you may not like the taste because it tastes like someone dropped a pizza into my unhopped pale ale, but that is the point. Novelty beer have their spot in this world and this one is top notch when it comes to "Pizza Beer". I really enjoyed this one but this one isnt for everyone; in fact, it is probably for a very select few.

Beware. You will taste pizza in this one.

SaCkErZ9, Jan 23, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -24.1%

A: Pours a golden hue with a nice foamy head. No lace.

S: Holy shit it smells like pizza, don't think that is necessarily a good thing though. Tomato paste with strong glaric. Hints of oregano as well.

T: Good thing it tastes better than it smells. The aroma is somewhat offputting but the taste better than I expected even though my expectations were nothing. malty flavors with hints of pizza herbs. Very light tomato and a touch of garlic. More beer than pizza which is a good thing.

M: Medium to thin in body, so so carbonation.

D: This is one I had wanted to try for novelty sake. I expected nothing and it is just above that. Not one you would drink more than one of and to be honest I would rather share. It would be best pared with an italian meal. If their goal was to create a drinkable pizza beer I would say they did it. Now the next problem will be finding people who are in the market for pizza beer...I'm not!

tpd975, Jan 11, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

(A) Golden in color, but floaties in the beer. Oregano? Basil? Pizza dough?... not kidding here, really noticeable floaties.
(S) Above average. Could pick up hints of the spices add to the brew.
(T) Impressed. This was a good beer. I definitely thought it would be weird, but then again my palate likes the Italian spices.
(M) Average. Not out of this world, but a good, clean crispness to the brew.
(D) This beer definitely needs to be consumed while chilled. I took the last two swigs after the beer had warmed and it was not good. Pairs great with pizza, but if you eat some chocolate with it, the flavors of the spices will come to the forefront. No joke.

u2carew, Jan 04, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

A: looks like a hefeweizen with a lighter yellow unfiltered color, little white colored head that reduces to nothing more than a rim.

S: Smells just like tomato pizza sauce. If this were an actual pizza I'd be drooling.

T: tastes like keystone light with a slice of pizza soaked in it... Aka Not good!

M: thin and almost soda like

D: zilch, I drain poured after three painful sips.

dukedevil0, Jan 04, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Interesting looking beer, lots of champagne-like head, loads of bubbles lining the interior walls of the glass, medium copper, looks slightly anemic - 3.00, S: Geez, I'm struggling with this juxtaposition of beer and pizza, it truly smells like pizza, lots of oregano and even tomato paste, it's hard to pick out any elements of beer which push the rating scale down as far as a beer goes - 2.50, T: What little beer that comes through on the palate is macro and unappetizing, pizza flavors are very apparent, basil and oregano with the tomato sauce, maybe the slightest hint of hops - 2.00, M: Thin and lackluster body, even a touch oily - 2.00, D: I must be honest that I had very low expectations for this beer and the reality seemed to hold true, it's a gimmick that merits a taste and that's as far as it goes, I will not drink this beer again - 2.00

deereless, Dec 22, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +42.6%

This seemed interesting, so I had to pick it up and review it. Sounds like it could potentially be terrible... or it could be awesome since I do loves me some pizza. Here goes nothing....

A - Hazy orange with a short lived 1/2 inch cap of flimsy white fizz. A small amount of sudsy wet lace is left on the glass, and a quick swirl brings up a 1/2 inch head again.... but it immediately reduces to a thin wispy haze on top of the brew. I halfway expected this to look like red tomato sauce, but it looks like any old pale ale with a crappy head.

A - Holy crap! This does smell EXACTLY like pizza! I smell spicy tomato sauce, dried red peppers, mushrooms, and spicy sausage and pepperoni. This smells like my microwave after cooking those pizza bite snacks. Mozzarella cheese and crispy buttery crust. Its amazing to me that a beer can smell exactly like a pizza.

T - The flavor is not quite as good as the nose, but its much better than I expected. I thought that although this smells like pizza, it might taste like nasty thick tomato sauce. I an happily proved wrong by this tasty brew. Its odd to drink something that tastes like this, but its kind of like the beer version of a spicy bloody mary. Smoky, peppery, lively, and far from the foul concoction that I thought this one might turn out to be. Nice!

M - Light in body, crisp, and highly carbonated with a surprisingly neutral finish with a small hint of sausage-y spice and a lingering note of pepperoni.

D - Good, but not stellar. Although I'm glad that I tried this one, and would probably buy it again for the novelty, one is enough for me. Id like to try this with a pizza and see if it holds its own or is too much pizza flavor for one meal. Although its brewed here in the states, this is a much better "Italian" beer than the usual Italian beers or pitchers of macro swill you'd find at a pasta/pizza joint.

pmcadamis, Dec 10, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- This has your typical pale lager appearance. Crystal clear pale yellow body that pours with a foamy white head. The head has surprisingly good retention and traces of lacing stick to the glass.

S- Yep, smells just like pizza. Oregno, basil, garlic, pizza crust, tomato sauce, the whole works. Smells like a fresh out of the oven pizza.

T- Exactly the same as the smell. The spices such as the oregano, basil, and garlic come out more than everything else upfront, with a hint of tomato sauce on the finish but its really masked. What lingers (forever...its been 45 minutes and its still there) is the garlic.

M- Typical, average mouthfeel, medium to high carbonation and a slightly watery but very quaffable lager body.

D- Well at first this is amazing and a true novelty. Its definitely worth a try because it tastes just like pizza. It does get somewhat annoying when you clearly haven't consumed any Italian food and you feel like you ate an entire Italian dinner and it stays on your breath forever. This is exactly what it claims to be-a pizza beer and tastes as such. Its been 45 minutes since consumption and its still on my breath.

PittBeerGirl, Dec 09, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +9.3%

16 ounce bottle. Picked it up on a recent trip to Champaign/Urbana, IL. I saw this and figured why not try it. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold color with a half inch white head. Head retention is average, not much lacing. Well, this beer definitely smells like pizza just like it says on the label (oregano, basil, tomato and garlic). I don't notice any hop or malt aromas, just pizza. It tastes the same as the aroma, but there's some hops I can taste too. Finishes a bit bitter. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's not watery but there isn't much to the mouthfeel at all. Average carbonation. Drinkability is OK, I guess. I'm pretty sure I couldn't drink more than one bottle of this at a time, though. This is definitely a unique beer, that's for sure. It's not great, but it's not awful either. All in all, I'd drink this again. For $2.29 a bottle, it's worth a try.

bluejacket74, Nov 22, 2008
3.2/5  rDev +18.5%

Light amber color, thin white head, no lacing

Nice herbal aroma of tomato, garlic, and some other herbs, Smells like left over pizza.

Mild front that picks up in the middle with a light tomato/herb flavor that is quite close to a good pizza sauce. Finishes nicely with little after taste.

Very light body, too light for the herbal flavors

I wish this was in Michigan, I would keep a few in the Fridge for cooking and to enjoy.

Roeters, Nov 04, 2008
3.2/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz fatty bottle poured into a pint glass. This "gem" was picked up from Steve's Liquor in Madison, WI.

Smell, huh. Smells kinda like day old pizza. Some oregano, faint hit of garlic, but no hops.

Taste, well, it, uh, kinda tastes like pizza. Strong flavors of oregano and garlic, along with that sharp acidic taste from tomato sauce. Hops are noticeable though, and I think that is this beer's redeeming quality. Goes down smooth with the exception of the garlic getting in the way. I love garlic, but not in liquid form.

Overall, it tastes like pizza. What did you expect? But really, it's one of the most unique beers I've ever tasted. Kudos to the brewers for thinking outside the box, and kudos to Sprecher for taking a chance on this beer. Believe it or not, this is the new "Extreme Beer". Beer brewed with food, it's the new fad. You heard it here first.

leftmindedrighty, Nov 02, 2008
1.68/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought this to give it a try. What the heck.

The smell was like sniffing a spice rack that had a stale beer dumped on it. The color *looked* like beer, with a slight red to it.

I took a swallow and thought I had accidentally got some orageno around the lip of my glass and was drinking a V8. Gag.

While not the worst beer I have ever tasted, it is now become the gag beer I take over the friends' beer events and sneak it into the mix.

Definitely not a beer to be taken seriously. Which may explain the unsold cases of it sitting around the Roundhouse in Aurora.

nightcrawler, Oct 24, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -48.1%

Picked this up out of curiosity in Madison. It's not available in KS, so what the hell?

A: Looks like beer. Bright light orange with a shockingly large head that dissipated surprisingly quickly.

S: This is where it starts to go downhill. It smells like pizza, as promised, but the pizza in the nose is terrible, month-old pizza. The scent is vaguely reminiscent of discovering an ancient, possibly-five-week-old Domino's pizza under a friend's futon back in the days of the dorms. Appalling.

T: Wow, sad times. It tastes like it smells, but worse. There's definitely oregano, tomato, and other pizza spices in there, but they are all horrible perverted. Just... bad. I drank a couple sips and passed it around to my friends so they could also experience the pain, but we eventually ended up chucking the balance. It's always sad to throw a beer, and it's not something I do lightly, but this is definitely an occasion of necessity.

M: Watery - starts out overly carbonated and then deteriorates to being entirely flat as time progresses.

D: As previously stated, this didn't even merit completion. Horrible.

Note: My friends were all super-sad when they saw the Sprecher name on the bottle, and some vowed to stop trying Sprecher products even after I explained that it is contract-brewed. So, if anyone from Sprecher is reading this... now you know.

jenitivecase, Oct 20, 2008
2.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass. The label says this beer is contract brewed by Sprecher Brewery in WI.

A= This ale poured a hazy darkish gold color with a surprising 2" white head. The head quickly dropped to a thin skim.

S= This ale smells mostly of pizza herbs and spices (garlic, oregano, basil, etc.). I couldn't really detect any malt or hops. Just pizza. I gave it 3.5 just for the uniqueness of the aroma.

T= OK, the novelty wore off. This beer tastes very odd. It is all pizza up front, with a brief malt presence in the finish. Zero bittering or flavor hops present, yet it had an oddly dry finish.

MF= Frankly terrible. Carbonaton was too low, the body was strangely heavy compared to the appearance and flavor.

D= Not the worst beer I ever had, but also not one I would go out of my way for again. Its worth a try if you are curious though!

spointon, Sep 09, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours a super fizzy golden orange with hints of red. The head is a fluffy off-white and recedes to a ring fairly quickly leaving no lacing. It smells like, well, a pizza, with strong basil and oregano aromas. The taste isn't exactly like pizza, but pretty darn close. There's the generic grainy lager taste but with serious pizza flavors of basil, garlic and oregano. The mouthfeel is light to medium and highly carbonated. I have to say that this is one of the more interesting brews I've tasted and was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely the best pizza beer I've tasted!

gford217, Aug 26, 2008
2.98/5  rDev +10.4%

this is a great idea on paper.

I poured this brew into my das boot. the smell is pizza-ish. I can smell oregano and tomatoe. This taste is wheat beerish with a hint of basil and oregano.

This beer, while sounding great, is very hard to drink. i just dont think pizza IN a beer go together.

Overall, I wouldnt go for this again.

iconoklaztor, Aug 19, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Sprecher really sucks at carbonation lately; the bottle was a geyser when I opened it, while the beer itself has basically no head after a vigorous pour. Body is an unassuming bronzish yellow.

Smell: Big, fruity tomato sweetness that lands somewhere between Campbell's tomato soup concentrate and marinara sauce - in other words, somewhere between nauseating and pretty nice. The garlic, oregano, and basil are only detectable as a sort of wispy background thing, lost a bit among the mild hops. The bready malts provide a nice surrogate for the crust, resulting in a beer that really does smell like pizza (or pizza-flavored Pringles, anyway).

Taste: Very bland with an edge of "pizza," like drinking Heineken while snacking on Combos. Only slightly weird, and only moderately interesting; not bad (you could do a lot worse with a beer brewed with garlic), but it lacks impact and depth.

Mouthfeel: Watery and light - the bubbles are fine, but there aren't enough of them.

Drinkability: I expected more from this beer - more impact, more complexity, more something. It's disappointingly boring, and slightly gross.

soulgrowl, Aug 17, 2008