Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

poor

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008)
4.13/5  rDev +53.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

In my opinion, much better than what the average rater is saying. Smells like frozen pizza. Tastes like cheaper frozen pizza with the un-risen dough. Has the generic vegi-pizza sauce tastes. It's what we expected, right? Props for a good description that lives up to the drink. I've had way worse spiced beers. This one is average to slightly better than average and definitely worth trying at least once. I'll probably have one more or even more later in my life. I agree with a previous post, this is much better on a not-so-full stomach. Definitely drink before a meal, not afterwards.

1.25/5  rDev -53.5%

3.25/5  rDev +20.8%

3.3/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A- hazy gold with a thick white head. Excellent lacing.

S - oregano, Basil, yeast, bread, and a hint of garlic.

T- the taste is pretty much the same as the aroma. It tastes like pizza. Very very strange.

M - pretty light. Watery finish.

O - different, strange.

3.85/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer tastes really pizzaey. And that might sound like a strange idea, but it actually works perfectly, because the beer is quite yeasty and tastes like pizza crust, so the pizza flavors fit with it perfectly. I guess on just pure beer merits this is just decent, but the flavor is really delicious in my opinion. I would definitely drink this again. There's nothing at all I would fault this for, and the pizza flavor works surprisingly well. I drank this from a Chimay goblet.

2.98/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange with a small white head. Aroma and Taste of sweet oregano, pizza dough, yeast, with a bit grains and light fruity notes. Palate is a medium body, fairly smooth with mild carbonation. Finishes with a pizza dough, oregano, yeast flavor. Reminds me of a margherita tomato pizza, I actually enjoyed this brew.

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

1.75/5  rDev -34.9%

2.25/5  rDev -16.4%

2.25/5  rDev -16.4%

3.28/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

had thanks to user ufmj, thanksa bunch man,
poured from bottle into snifter
A -cloudy amberish, large white head that stays for a while
S - well it smeels like a pizza, tomato sauce, spices etc
T - weird... it tastes a lot like the nose, very tomato sauce-y not as bad as I expected, but not great
M - very thin and weak, honestly the worst part of the beer
O - not as bad as I expected, very weird beer, and very unique

2.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

i picked up a bottle of Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer last week for $1.79 at Boardwalk Liquor Store. I heard about this beer a few years ago but I have never seen a bottle of it before so when I saw a bottle at the store I thought I would take a chance on it, I'll try any beer once, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, who knows how old it is, the numbers have been almost fully rubbed off. Poured from a fatter 16oz brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's got two chef's on the label which I assume are the people that came up with this beer and the color is the same as an Italian flag, it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice and hazy golden orange color that took on more of a orange hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any lacing behind. This is a decent looking beer, the color was pretty nice but the head and lacing were lacking.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by tons of pizza spices, it smells like a nice spiced pizza crust, oregano seems to stick out the most but I do get some garlic and basil with a good amount of tomato aromas that almost gives it a marinara like aroma. Up next comes some bready and grainy malts that hardly show up and are overpowered by the pizza spices. The aroma is ok all the ingredients that are listed on the bottle stick out, but it's just not an aroma that I associate with beer and it doesn't make me want to dive right into it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma just not as intense, it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the pizza spices being the first to show up, they aren't as intense as they are in the aroma, but they are still pretty strong and only get stronger the more the beer warms up, the oregano still sticks out the most with all the other pizza spices that I got in the aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes a pretty noticeable tomato flavor followed by some grainy and bready malts. On the finish there's a lighter amount of bitterness with a little bit of sweetness and a bready, tomato, and pizza spice like aftertaste. The taste is not that great, it's true to the name and very pizza like, but the savory pizza flavors just don't translate well in a beer.

M- A little smooth, a little dry, slightly crisp, on the fuller of side of being light bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok, it felt a little watery and a little under carbonated.

Overall i wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it was a slightly below average example of the style, it had all the flavors as advertised, but the savory pizza flavors didn't go well in the beer, it doesn't keep me wanting to drink it. This didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and the flavors didn't do a good job at holding my attention, the pizza spices really started to wear on me and there is no way that I would want to drink multiple bottles of this. What I liked the most about this beer was how close to pizza the flavors was, all the key tastes that I look for in a pizza show up in this beer, it just didn't work out that well. What I liked the least about this beer was the the lingering tomato and spices flavor, it just wouldn't go away. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it might be interesting to try with pizza, but it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to get, but I do recommend trying it, some beers are so unique that they have to be tried once and this beer is one of them. All in all this beer just wasn't for me, in my opinion they nailed what they were going for and it really does taste similar to pizza, it's just those aren't flavors that I really desire in a beer and I don't really have an urge to keep drinking. I appreciate the effort it took to come up with and make this weird brew, but it just wasn't my kind of beer.

3.06/5  rDev +13.8%

Amber color with a thin head with medium retention. Got hazy at last pour.
Incredible aroma of a marguerita pizza, lots of oregano, tomato paste and garlic.
Mouth follows nose, flavor of oregano, garlic and tomato paste. Hints of lemon. Dry aftertaste with a residual oregano taste and a mild spicy feeling.
It is really a liquid pizza, don’t drink this with your stomach full. Quite interesting, though not sure I could hold another one.

4.08/5  rDev +51.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It was definitely an interesting beer. A buddy of mine had one at his house that someone gave him. When I opened it, it definitely smelled like a pizza with pepperoni. I thought it was pretty tasty. It did take a swallow or two for my palate to adjust to the flavor, but after that I thought it was great. I can't wait to go buy a six pack tomorrow. It wasn't the best beer I've ever had, but it's a cool concept, and I'll definitely drink it again.

1.5/5  rDev -44.2%