Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

16 oz. bottle from Hi-Times,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow orange with a fizzy white head with good retention.

S: Oregano, tomatoes, basil, pizza crust. Smells like a pizza for sure.

T: Tomato and garlic with a background of pils type malt and wheat. Not a bad flavour, very unique.

M: Thin and fizzy, light lager feel. Soft carbonation.

D: An interesting experiment, it is what it says it is - it tastes and smells like pizza. Hard to put a drinkability score as it's so strange, but definitely worth a pick up just for the experience.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It paired wonderfully with pizza. Unfortunately I was already eating the pizza, so I didn't get the full flavour first.

A: Clear-yellow with a thin white head, no retention or lace.

S: It smells like a good Italian tomato sauce with plenty of herbs.

T: Subtle herb flavours are well-rounded & the bready malt really does put pizza in mind. Modest bitterness, no fruity esters. It is exactly what it is, and much better than I had anticipated.

M: Well-attenuated, light to moderate body with a dry finish.

D: Nice with a slice.

3.47/5  rDev +28%

Glad to have bumped into this one after reading about it a few years back.

A: pours a slightly hazy yellow with a large white head that quickly dissipates.

S: aroma of oregano, pizza dough, cheese (yes cheese!) and of course pizza

T: Well, I had heard that this beer tasted like pizza, and it does in fact taste like.... Pizza. The herbs are refreshingly delicious and better than those that are on some pizzas that I have had. This is a light lager that really comes off well with the pizza spices and whether the cheese flavors are imaginary or transferred through my association with these spices, I am really digging this beer. I probably could not have three of these, but one has done well for me.

M: light body with medium carbonation

O: a nice beer that would be tough to replicate. In addition, I could not imagine drinking 5 gallons of sub par pizza beer so hats off to the original brewers on this one!

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Hazy pale straw blonde, no head.

S - Definitely the aromas of a pizza. Yeasty dough, mild basil, sweet tomato paste. If you didn't know this was a pizza beer, you may just take the nose as a spiced beer, nothing specific.

T - Well the flavor messages some with the nose. However, they are both pretty mild. The nose wasn't overwhelming and the floor follows suit. The only thing is, this beer does in fact have some of the pizza flavors present. The dough yeast, oregano and basil are detected. Now it can be taken once again as just a mildly herbal beer, but when you know what's inside, it's a little easier to detect. This is by no means a very flavorful or exciting beer. It's quite light and watered down. My opinion is only that I respect when special beers actually present their special flavors.

M - Light body, effervescent, drinkable. Nothing special going on here.

O - My neighbor have me this bottle and of course it looked interesting. I approached it very open mindedly. As stated, I respect when a special beer presents its special characteristics in the nose, mouth, etc. It was a bit of a stretch and I wasn't blown away, but I would recommend this to others as a novelty.

3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Had this at a bar for $4.

2.0 A: Murky orangish color. Not really any head going on and thus no lacing.

4.0 S: It does actually smell a lot like pizza. I thought I would be horrified by this, but it smells alright and it works well for what they were going for. The strongest aroma is by far tomato, with oregano herbalness second.

3.5 T: Pizza taste is there as well, though it doesn't taste like real pizza. Rather, it tastes like artificial pizza flavoring that would be found in combos snacks. Still it isn't sickening like I predicted. I'm not saying it's good however. The best way to describe this is that it's a pretty bad beer, but it is a decent beverage and I am thus grading it as that.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good carbonation and surprisingly smooth.

3.0 D: The 16 oz. bottle really is the upper limit of what I would want in a sitting. Still, I wouldn't mind one of these every six months or so and I would probably pick this over a PBR anytime. The creativity and innovation is there and for that I respect this beer more than it probably deserves.

3.42/5  rDev +26.2%

My family owns a local pizza shop, so when I spied this bottle, I had to pick one up and give it a whirl...despite the fact that it did not appeal to me at all...

Golden color with very little head.

You can really smell the oregano and other Italian spices. Never thought "basil" would be part of a beer description...

The mouth feel is light as expected. The flavors are exactly as advertised...pizza and beer together. Took some getting used to...started to appreciate it about halfway through the glass.

A very unique beer and worth trying. The kind of bottle you keep in your fridge and offer to adventurous friends!

3.42/5  rDev +26.2%

Call me crazy, but I kind of liked this one. Pours yellowish gold with a small whitish head. Smell is basil, oregano and dough. Taste is malty, doughiness with obvious oregano and pizza and pizza sauce like spices. The doughy, yeasty malt and pizza spices work pretty well together, and while not something I'd drink a lot of, it was fun to share and went down pretty easily for me. Definitely a pizza beer.

3.42/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy apricot with a slight reddish blush. Up top sits a thick slice of foam that is yellowed ivory in color and looks decent enough. It shrinks without fanfare and leaves the glass untouched. So far, there's nothing distinctive or different, but that's to be expected where appearance is concerned.

I'm not sure why I should be surprised, but Pizza Beer actually does smell like pizza. Not in an artificial way, but in a 'real deal' way. Kudos to the brewers for that, no matter what it tastes like. As far as the herbs and spices, the stronger ones (garlic and oregano) are the ones that are appreciated for certain.

Wonder of wonders, Mama Mia! tastes like pizza too! Strength of flavor is right on the nose, which was vitally important. Any weaker and why bother? Okay, so a little weaker might make it more drinkable. Any stronger and it would be too overpowering (especially with regard to the garlic). As is, this single bottle will be more than enough. What an odd and interesting concoction.

The difficulty is choosing a flavor score comes from attempting to weigh the brewers' success in creating a pizza-flavored beer with the worthiness of such an undertaking. Regarding the first, Chef Tom and Chef Athena get very high marks. Regarding the second... not so high. Like any number of other beers, this one is more interesting than good. In the end, I'll bump the taste score one notch for exactness of flavor recreation.

On a good note, Pizza Beer tastes like both pizza *and* beer. It's difficult to appreciate the specifics of the base beer since the garlic (especially) tends to overwhelm every one of the other ingredients. I like the amount of hop bitterness, since a sweet beer with this flavor profile would probably be all kinds of nasty. The tomato isn't really noticeable, but it does provide a hint of acidity.

The body/mouthfeel is more than passable and less than stellar. It's closer to light than medium (a good thing) and has a low-moderate amount of sharp carbonation that seems to work well in the grand scheme of things.

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer is one of the most unique offerings that I have ever had. Cutting back on the garlic is the only change that I'd make if given the opportunity. Even though it borders on gimmicky, the brewers have done a remarkable job of recreating the flavor of pizza in a glass of beer. Thanks to murrayswine for the bottle.

3.41/5  rDev +25.8%

Okay, so I'm always game to try a gimmick beer. This one is a little stranger than usual...beer made with pizza. The beer itself is a hazy, slightly dark yellow color. No real head after a few seconds. The smell, though, is what fascinated me. It really smells like a pizza. Pizza spice (basil and oregano), pizza crust, and tomato (I'm not sure about the cheese). The pizza is backed by a very slight malt scent, but it mostly smells like a pie. I expected a beer brewed with pizza spice, but this one really surprised me. The flavor has some pizza spice to it, but otherwise is similar to an american all-malt lager beer. Hops are very restrained, and the beer is balanced slightly to the dry side. Finish is quick and the beer is very light in body. This one is very much worth a try, just for the unique flavor.

3.4/5  rDev +25.5%

3.39/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

(A) Golden in color, but floaties in the beer. Oregano? Basil? Pizza dough?... not kidding here, really noticeable floaties.
(S) Above average. Could pick up hints of the spices add to the brew.
(T) Impressed. This was a good beer. I definitely thought it would be weird, but then again my palate likes the Italian spices.
(M) Average. Not out of this world, but a good, clean crispness to the brew.
(D) This beer definitely needs to be consumed while chilled. I took the last two swigs after the beer had warmed and it was not good. Pairs great with pizza, but if you eat some chocolate with it, the flavors of the spices will come to the forefront. No joke.

3.39/5  rDev +25.1%

I guess this is proof that I'll try anything once... but I like pizza and I like beer so I couldn't stay away forever.

Poured into my Palm tulip glass, it has a hazy dingy orange/brown color with ample white head that drops to a thin layer with a thicker ring around the edges.

Smells like pizza, heavier on the basil and oregano than tomato. Bonus points for pretty much nailing the smell.

Tastes like an average wheat beer with pizza in it.

Thin and watery body, not much to it.

Easy enough to drink one, but I am glad it was sold by the single. This is not a terrible beer, but it's not much more than a novelty. it does get bonus points for creativity and for accomplishing the stated goal of making a pizza beer (God Bless Chicago), but I would not recommend this one.

Tasted on 4/7/08.

3.37/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to byaeger. Thanks, Brian! Wanted to try this for awhile and expected it to be terrible, but it really wasn't.

The slogan on the bottle is hilarious: "Beer so good it deserves... A WINE GLASS!" Classic.

A - Pours a clear golden small, slightly fizzy white head.

S - Aroma is pizza sauce, oregano, garlic, and pale malt. Very interesting.

T - Flavor is a lot like a Boboli pizza that you buy at the supermarket. Tomato sauce, oregano, basil, and garlic all there, as well as pizza crust. Really not bad at all.

M - Palate is light and watery, a bit thin.

D - Above-average actually. This is not a great beer for sure, but it accomplishes what it's trying to do: taste like a pizza. Would go decently well with a pizza I think.

3.35/5  rDev +23.6%

A- This has your typical pale lager appearance. Crystal clear pale yellow body that pours with a foamy white head. The head has surprisingly good retention and traces of lacing stick to the glass.

S- Yep, smells just like pizza. Oregno, basil, garlic, pizza crust, tomato sauce, the whole works. Smells like a fresh out of the oven pizza.

T- Exactly the same as the smell. The spices such as the oregano, basil, and garlic come out more than everything else upfront, with a hint of tomato sauce on the finish but its really masked. What lingers (forever...its been 45 minutes and its still there) is the garlic.

M- Typical, average mouthfeel, medium to high carbonation and a slightly watery but very quaffable lager body.

D- Well at first this is amazing and a true novelty. Its definitely worth a try because it tastes just like pizza. It does get somewhat annoying when you clearly haven't consumed any Italian food and you feel like you ate an entire Italian dinner and it stays on your breath forever. This is exactly what it claims to be-a pizza beer and tastes as such. Its been 45 minutes since consumption and its still on my breath.

3.32/5  rDev +22.5%

It looks like crap. There is what can only be described as "bits of crud" floating around in it.

It smells like BEER AND PIZZA.

The taste...I know it seems like it's what you should expect, but I cannot believe how much this beverage tasted like pizza and beer INDEPENDENTLY. Not beer-soaked pizza or a beer into which someone had dropped a slice. Beer...and pizza. I'm not even sure it was good--but it was amazing.

You can feel the crud bits in your mouth hole.

If I could go back and give myself advice last night, I would say "order it" every time (but just one, and only drink about 10 of the 16 ounces, which is exactly what happened).

3.31/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

had thanks to user ufmj, thanksa bunch man,
poured from bottle into snifter
A -cloudy amberish, large white head that stays for a while
S - well it smeels like a pizza, tomato sauce, spices etc
T - weird... it tastes a lot like the nose, very tomato sauce-y not as bad as I expected, but not great
M - very thin and weak, honestly the worst part of the beer
O - not as bad as I expected, very weird beer, and very unique

3.31/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 16 oz. bottle into a Russian River pint glass (ignoring the neck label on the bottle).

A: Hazy gold, forming a thin white head, and low levels of visible carbonation.

S: Distinct spices up front - mostly garlic and oregano. Not much of anything else to be found here, except maybe hints of pilsner malt.

T: Well, pizza. What did you expect? Tomato, garlic, oregano..each distinctly present and adding it's own aspects to the drink. Light pilsner and cracker malt character underneath. The tomato and spices linger in the mouth for a bit after the swallow.

M: Light body - almost watery. Low alcohol presence. This bottle seems poorly carbonated, though not quite flat.

O: OK. That was interesting. Not nearly as offensive as I expected it to be. It pulls off having obvious pizza flavors without rising to the level of being obnoxious. This is for sure a novelty or fluff beer, and less than a half-bottle should be more than enough to try. But still, it's interesting and different, and expands yet again what I thought a beer could taste like.

3.3/5  rDev +21.8%

I've got to give this beer props for being exactly what it's trying to be and as such I'll be giving it a solid review, save for drinkability. That being said, I couldn't finish one bottle and won't be buying it again other than to force friends to drink as a joke/bet/dare or to use in cooking.

Appearance: Beautiful, well carbonated blonde body with a thin, white, bubbly head.

Aroma: Ever had sun-dried tomato wheat thins or Nabisco garden harvest - tomato basil toasted chips? Well... that...maybe with some pizza Doritos thrown in...

Taste: Pizza. Yeah, this beer tastes like pizza. Go figure. The tomato and basil come through well. There is a strong bready base and at times oregano and garlic can be tasted as well. I feel like I can taste cheese too but I might just be fooling myself.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy and spicy. Disturbing to my stomach.

Drinkability: Nearly nill. I couldn't finish more than a half a glass.

Like I said, mad props to the brewers of this beer. They created a very unique and well crafted product. I don't like it but I swear I hope the area bars start serving this. I can't wait to bet a coworker 10 bucks to drink two of these.

look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A- hazy gold with a thick white head. Excellent lacing.

S - oregano, Basil, yeast, bread, and a hint of garlic.

T- the taste is pretty much the same as the aroma. It tastes like pizza. Very very strange.

M - pretty light. Watery finish.

O - different, strange.

3.29/5  rDev +21.4%

What a crazy idea!! But a fun one!

I was intrigued by this beer and had to give it a shot. I mean, who has ever heard of a pizza beer?

The appearance is average with nothing to talk about and as a matter of fact theres alot to not talk about BUT heres my basic opinion....

This beer smells like PIZZA! I couldn't belive it!

The beer taste is mild and some how the aroma is completely lost.

Its a fun beer but 1 or 2 will be plenty before you're reaching for a more traditional brew.
With that said, a 6 pack between a few friends to critique would be fun.

3.29/5  rDev +21.4%

Had my first sample at a Sam's tasting on Saturday. I have sent many to my friends because they can't believe it.
A: Looks like watered down pizza sauce. I can't really knock it down too much for that. I mean, it is pizza flavored beer.
S: Smells great. Plenty of garlic and basil in the nose. As a long time pizza cook and lover, this smells like I thought it would. Almost no hop smell in there, but you can get a hint of malt.
T: Taste was ok, though I wish I had sampled with food. I had sampled a creamy stout right before this beer, so it was more harsh than it would normally be. I don't really think it tastes quite like pizza.
M: Slightly over-carbonated. It is light and crisp.
D: I could drink a few with a nice slice of deep dish. You definitely have to be hungry to truly appreciate this beer.

I did talk to Tom at the tasting. He seems to be very enthusiastic about brewing, and I hope he succeeds. I would like to see what he could do with a normal IPA since he is able to make a strange set of Pizza ingredients consumable as beer.
You may not like the concept, but you have to try it.

3.29/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours a super fizzy golden orange with hints of red. The head is a fluffy off-white and recedes to a ring fairly quickly leaving no lacing. It smells like, well, a pizza, with strong basil and oregano aromas. The taste isn't exactly like pizza, but pretty darn close. There's the generic grainy lager taste but with serious pizza flavors of basil, garlic and oregano. The mouthfeel is light to medium and highly carbonated. I have to say that this is one of the more interesting brews I've tasted and was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely the best pizza beer I've tasted!

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer from Pizza Beer Company