Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

poor

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008)
View: Beers (1) |  Events

03-16-2014 13:42:16 | More by khargro2
Oakenator

07-21-2014 22:05:14 | More by Oakenator
Urbancaver

Pours a murky orange. a bit of white head.. not really good looking. Smells like butter and wheat. maybe some tomato on the nose. Tastes sweet and buterry. Its kinda gross but I can definitely taste a bit of pizza in it. Wheat, tomato and oregano are fairly prominent. Its not awful but its certainly not good...

03-04-2011 02:54:22 | More by Urbancaver
DaPeculierDane

3.3/5  rDev +22.2%

I've got to give this beer props for being exactly what it's trying to be and as such I'll be giving it a solid review, save for drinkability. That being said, I couldn't finish one bottle and won't be buying it again other than to force friends to drink as a joke/bet/dare or to use in cooking.

Appearance: Beautiful, well carbonated blonde body with a thin, white, bubbly head.

Aroma: Ever had sun-dried tomato wheat thins or Nabisco garden harvest - tomato basil toasted chips? Well... that...maybe with some pizza Doritos thrown in...

Taste: Pizza. Yeah, this beer tastes like pizza. Go figure. The tomato and basil come through well. There is a strong bready base and at times oregano and garlic can be tasted as well. I feel like I can taste cheese too but I might just be fooling myself.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy and spicy. Disturbing to my stomach.

Drinkability: Nearly nill. I couldn't finish more than a half a glass.

Like I said, mad props to the brewers of this beer. They created a very unique and well crafted product. I don't like it but I swear I hope the area bars start serving this. I can't wait to bet a coworker 10 bucks to drink two of these.

04-07-2008 20:07:19 | More by DaPeculierDane
BeerBelcher

1.8/5  rDev -33.3%

So, I must confess I didn't have any pizza with this beer, but I must say that by itself I found it to be pretty awful. It smells a bit like cooked corn, and tastes like cooked corn and raw pizza dough, and I couldn't tell you the last time I had a craving for a beer that tasted like that.

It poured into my glass to reveal a straw-colored body which was cloudy and unappealing. There was no head. Aroma was a bit composte-like (mercaptan) and cooked corn (DMS). Flavor was where I got the pizza resemblence. The flavor was a raw dough flavor, which was reminiscent to me of the last time I played with Play-Do. There was some oregano flavor as well. Not good. Not drinkable.

I would not recommend this beer, regardless of what you're eating.

I split this bottle with SurlySober, who bought it as something of a lark.

04-06-2008 02:33:17 | More by BeerBelcher

11-08-2013 17:45:13 | More by Danny1217
spointon

2.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass. The label says this beer is contract brewed by Sprecher Brewery in WI.

A= This ale poured a hazy darkish gold color with a surprising 2" white head. The head quickly dropped to a thin skim.

S= This ale smells mostly of pizza herbs and spices (garlic, oregano, basil, etc.). I couldn't really detect any malt or hops. Just pizza. I gave it 3.5 just for the uniqueness of the aroma.

T= OK, the novelty wore off. This beer tastes very odd. It is all pizza up front, with a brief malt presence in the finish. Zero bittering or flavor hops present, yet it had an oddly dry finish.

MF= Frankly terrible. Carbonaton was too low, the body was strangely heavy compared to the appearance and flavor.

D= Not the worst beer I ever had, but also not one I would go out of my way for again. Its worth a try if you are curious though!

09-09-2008 02:08:14 | More by spointon

Gww1864

12-03-2012 01:19:24 | More by Gww1864
Bouleboubier

2.9/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

(the last bottle of this at Free Bridge Wine & Spirits - $2.99! - poured into a Chimay goblet)

A: hazy amber liquid - yeast-like sediment, but didn't notice anything chunky floating in it... a head forms, sort of, but quickly recedes into the beer - leaves a weak swirl in the middle... no lace

S: pizza sauce - no joke - oregano, tomato paste, a touch of garlic powder... not much basil, if any... a sort of pale ale base beer is detected mildly in the background... the aromas are moderately potent at first, but then later fade and the beer ends up smelling kind of bland

T: not as pizza-y as the smell... the oregano may stand out the most... sort of a hint of lightly-oily tomato paste... garlic is luckily almost nil... if the beer was sweet, i don't think i could've finished it all - thankfully, it's just a bland, dry, unhoppy/unspicy pale ale

M: quite light-bodied, weightless... perhaps a mild foamy wash - carbonation is relatively mellow

O: interesting to try - a novelty at best... this could actually be a lot better if they jacked up the spicing (this was likely an older bottle - this ain't flying off the shelves), maybe added a touch of sweetness and perhaps some toasted malt to enhance crust flavors... who knows?

04-25-2014 18:33:04 | More by Bouleboubier
bzach

Indiana

10-16-2012 07:27:32 | More by bzach
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

I've been thinking about doing an ISO for this one for awhile now. It just intrigues me...not sure why. A recent trader happened to throw this bottle in as an extra! It wasn't even on my wants at the time. Well, here we go, I guess.

Okay, it pours a golden, yellow/orange color. (It tried to foam out of the bottle, upon opening, but I only lost about a mouthful.) The one-finger head of loose foam is white with a light orange tint to it. It recedes rather quickly. The lacing is okay, but it's very slick, so it doesn't stay around long.

I'm kind of stunned, now. This actually smells like pizza! You can pick out the notes of tomato, garlic and oregano fairly easily. The basil is not hard to find, either. You can smell the bread-like quality of pizza crust.
While the smell here is odd to associate with beer, it surely smells like they got what they were shooting for, so I have to score this category fairly high.

The spices are still easily spotted here. Oregano and garlic are now in the forefront, with tomato and basil pulling back a little bit. The crusty yeastiness is still here, as well.
Once again, scoring is based on my thought that they acheived what they were going for. It does taste like a pizza, inside of a beer.

Light-to-medium body on this one. It has a medium-to-high level of carbonation, which hurts it a little bit, IMO. You get a taste, on the back-end, that is similar to Alka Seltzer. I credit this to the carbonation combined with the spices.
The feel could be better.

To me, this is a novelty beer. I'm sure that there are people out there who like it, but I'm fine with just having this one. Okay, I guess that I'd probably like to have another one someday, but I can't see myself, or most other people, drinking these all night long.
Very interesting concept, but not really for me, I think.

EDIT: Over a week later and I find myself wishing that I had another one of these. Maybe it is for me, after all. Hope to get the chance to grab a few of these in a couple of months, when I vacation up north.

01-21-2010 04:52:34 | More by coldmeat23

2.5/5  rDev -7.4%

06-30-2013 19:51:08 | More by siege06nd
WastingFreetime

3.5/5  rDev +29.6%

Delivers exactly what it promises on the label. Smells and tastes like pizza. But is that a good thing? It seems to have been brewed on contract at Sprecher.

Poured out a standard amber color with a flash head and no real lacing, sparkly carbonation...smells -exactly- like a pizza. Tomato, oregano, yeasty dough and spices....all of it. Unfortunately the garlic and oregano dominate the flavor somewhat, to the point that the tomato rushes back in an slaps me in the face suddenly towards the finish. The dough-malt maintains a surprisingly constant frame throughout upon which everything else rests. Medium body, high end of medium carbonation.

The garlic /oregano being too loud is pretty much my only problem with this brew. It tastes like pizza beer, what they set out to do. But still, I wouldn't drink it every day, it remains a novelty beer in my eyes.

08-19-2012 23:23:55 | More by WastingFreetime
PopnLoads

12-31-2012 03:36:28 | More by PopnLoads
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

1.55/5  rDev -42.6%

thanks for the extra! Split among friends, poured into SA Chocolate Bock tulip.

A- Bland boring yellow pour with a fizzy head that fizzes out quickly. Very poor pour.

S- Aroma is that of a pizza. Can't knock it here.. smells like garlic and tomato.

T- Bready, watery, slight vegetable notes. Grainy. Terrible base beer is accentuated with disgusting flavors- I burped due to the high carbonation and was greeted with tomato and garlic flavors. No thanks.

M- High carbonation, super light body.

D- Drainpour of my 1/3 of the bottle. Could not/would not drink again. My buddy was the only one who liked it and ended up drinking all the samples. But he also paid money to see 'Dragon Wars' in theatres, so his judgement is in question.

11-02-2010 15:03:39 | More by ShogoKawada
aforbes10

Iowa

2.53/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle purchased at City Wide and consumed with a pizza. Light amber in color, wispy white head. Looks like a light lager. Smells hugely of tomato sause and oregano, like i've opened a contained of generic brand spaghetti sauce. I have to say that it smells perfect for the style :). Taste is a watered down tomato sauce with mild, bland spices or oregano and garlic. Mostly just watery and not really pizza like or beer like. very thin and reminds me of Miller Lite. Eh, no thanks, even as a joke.

05-11-2008 18:33:49 | More by aforbes10