Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Pizza Beer Company

poor

Pizza Beer Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.60% ABV

From the website: Pizza Beer is a debris free product. The Margarita pizza is put into the mash & steeped like a tea bag. A whole wheat crust made with water, flour & yeast is topped with tomato, oregano, basil & garlic. The essence of the pizza spices is washed off with hot water and filtered into a brewpot, where it is boiled for a long, long time. During the process, we add hops & spices in a cheesecloth type bag & filter the cooled liquid into a fermentation vessel. (big glass 6 gallon water jug). After a week or two, the beer is good to go. Keg it or bottle it.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 02-22-2008)
3.2/5  rDev +19%

I got this bottle in a trade with Nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

It pours a cloudy orange gold with a 2+ finger head of foam.

The smell has some sweet and some spice going on. I get notes of oregano and basil big time with a side order of tomatoes. Interesting.

The taste has those smells in the taste but not as overpowering as I was fearing. Nice bitter taste near the finish with more spice there as well. For a beer labelled as a Pizza Beer, I think they did a good job capturing the essence of pizza.

Good medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

Drinkability? 1 is definitely enough at one sitting but I'm somewhat surprised that I finished the bottle without a problem. Btw, head retention was very good and it had some decent lacing.

Bitterbill, Apr 10, 2009
1.2/5  rDev -55.4%

16 oz bottle poured into an Imperial Pint, not a "wine glass". 09324 on the neck.

A - Pours a hazy golden yellow with a thick two-finger white head. Solid retention and heavy lace on the way down the glass.

S - I got a whiff of pizza sauce when I screwed the cap off but after pouring it into the pint the first whiff made me gag. In fact every subsequent whiff gives me the same reaction. The nose is a horrific blend of spices and rotten tomatoes with a potent garlic scent. Underlying malt and barley present though. It really makes me want to vomit.

T - I'm gonna prepare myself for this by bringing my garbage can over cause I'm still nauseated by the nose... Mild pale malts behind an absolutely intolerable, revolting flavor. The tomato tastes rancid and spices make it worse. The garlic, which I normally love, is absolutely disgusting here.

M - I took one more sip for the mouthfeel and honest-to-god almost threw up. It's medium-light bodied and moderately carbonated with a spicy finish.

D - Two sips and down the drain with this god-awful pint of barfbeer. This has to be THE worst beer I've ever had in my entire life. I've never found a beer to be so undrinkable it's made me a whiff away from puking. I have no idea where they get off saying "Beer so good it deserves a wine glass." and honestly, I'm even more appalled Sprecher would a) sell it in their gift shop and b) use their logo-embossed bottles for this when they only contract brew it (which is why I won't tarnish Sprecher with a review this terrible). I love pizza, It's one of my favorites, don't get me wrong, but this is just awful.

BeerFMAndy, Feb 09, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +36.8%

A - Hazy medium wheat gold body. White head with low retention and lace.

S - Well, I don't know what I was expecting, but this actually pretty much smells like an uncooked pizza. Tomato, basil, huge oregano note, garlic, and salt.

T - Bready malt, strong oregano center, lightly acidic tomato backend. The herbs linger through the backend.

M - Light, relatively crisp body. Nice carbonation.

O - Not particularly appetizing, but the nose is on point for pizza.

vfgccp, Aug 19, 2012
3.66/5  rDev +36.1%

Was at the Bocktown in Robinson and went specifically to try this beer. Also to find Choklat but as expected they were sold out at the moment.

appearance - heard for some reason that this beer has a bright orange color but poured a medium yellow. A finger and a half head so those who say it has none may have gotten an old bottle.

smell - Really expected more dough smell but the tomato really comes out at first whiff. Also smell some parmesan cheese which was pretty cool and different.

taste - Very average beer with tomato flavoring. If you concentrate you can actually taste the basil but every sip held on to its flavor without falling flat.

mouthfeel - As you really taste and as it warms a bit I can taste the parmesan. I was really hoping for a bread taste but I really couldn't find it.

Overall I would recommend this beer to others (Kind of did when I went to a six pack shop shortly after) but I really couldn't see myself drinking more than one. Definitely a must try for people who need a brake for the typical beer.

DrDemento456, Oct 16, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +9.7%

16 ounce bottle. Picked it up on a recent trip to Champaign/Urbana, IL. I saw this and figured why not try it. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold color with a half inch white head. Head retention is average, not much lacing. Well, this beer definitely smells like pizza just like it says on the label (oregano, basil, tomato and garlic). I don't notice any hop or malt aromas, just pizza. It tastes the same as the aroma, but there's some hops I can taste too. Finishes a bit bitter. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's not watery but there isn't much to the mouthfeel at all. Average carbonation. Drinkability is OK, I guess. I'm pretty sure I couldn't drink more than one bottle of this at a time, though. This is definitely a unique beer, that's for sure. It's not great, but it's not awful either. All in all, I'd drink this again. For $2.29 a bottle, it's worth a try.

bluejacket74, Nov 22, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Pours a clean yellow to orange-ish color with a small white head. In the aroma, basil, tomato, and garlic. It kind of smells like pizza sauce. In the taste, garlic, basil, and well, it kind of reminds me of drinking spaghetti sauce. A spicy bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry tomato and basil aftertaste. Big flavors, but odd. I like pizza, I like beer, but this was not right.

OWSLEY069, Jun 23, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -53.5%

16oz bottle, about 14oz too many. Into a wine glass

A: Amber with a white head that recedes rather quick. Decent carbonation

S: Gross. Vomited beer + pizza. The beer component is noticeable, but the combination of tomato, garlic an oregano is truly revolting, especially when combined with the malt sweetness.

T: Gose Gone Wild! Salty, sweet, spicy and garlic. Can't drink this

M: Light, spritzy and garlicy finish

D: Thanks, but I'll pass. My morbid curiosity has been satisfied

DefenCorps, Mar 12, 2009

Duff27, Dec 15, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +35.7%

A: poured a golden yellow with a half finger head and a little lacing that stuck to the glass.

S: I couldn't believe that I could actually be able to get a scent of a pizza in a beer. I was getting tomato and pepperoni and hints of the basil in the nose.

T: damn...the flavor is that of a calzone pizza with chunks of the tomatos, garlic and basil. It tasted pretty weird but I like beers that are unorthodox and bring creativity to the table.

M: light to meduim body with good carbonation that slices up the pizza.

D: I was blown away by how they could manage to flavor a beer with a pizza,very intresting. I think I was the only one that enjoyed this brew in the beer tasting that we had.

Gobzilla, May 13, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a super fizzy golden orange with hints of red. The head is a fluffy off-white and recedes to a ring fairly quickly leaving no lacing. It smells like, well, a pizza, with strong basil and oregano aromas. The taste isn't exactly like pizza, but pretty darn close. There's the generic grainy lager taste but with serious pizza flavors of basil, garlic and oregano. The mouthfeel is light to medium and highly carbonated. I have to say that this is one of the more interesting brews I've tasted and was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely the best pizza beer I've tasted!

gford217, Aug 26, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -34.9%

mrfrancis, Jul 02, 2013
2.66/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a yellow-straw color, lots of clarity and a ton of carbonation bubbles rising to the top of the glass. White colored head that settles down quickly and leaves no apparent lacing. Nose is full of oregano and basil - it doesn't smell like a "pizza", rather it smells like "pizza sauce". The spices hint at tomato (probably from the basil) a bit, so it really smells like a fresh can of pizza sauce. It definitely smells "good" (considering I like the way pizza sauce smells), but I'm not sure if I like the idea of drinking pizza sauce. The taste is kind of a weird infusion of a crisp adjunct lager and a can of Prego or Ragu. The basil and oregano aren't too overpowering necessarily, but the rest of the beer doesn't offer much in terms of flavor, so they definitely stand out. Some very, very light hops and yeast-like malts are present throughout, but as I said, don't balance quite like they should. Thin body with a hefty helping of carbonation.

You know, when you buy "pizza beer", you have to think of how high your expectations really are for this thing. Probably not very high. With that notion, the beer isn't undrinkable, and it's a great novelty - it really is reminiscent of "pizza" in terms of the most recognizable portion of the pie, the sauce. I wouldn't sit down and throw back more than one of these, however. Actually, now that I've had it once, I'll probably never buy it again. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "awful".... but, highly unnecessary.

tectactoe, Nov 12, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +30.1%

BGsWo22, Apr 18, 2013

DmanGTR, Feb 10, 2013
3.2/5  rDev +19%

Contract brewed by Sprecher. There is some shit scrawled in sharpee across the label, which appears to be an autograph by "Chef R"(???) and possibly "Mama Mia" but it looks like it was written with all "m"s. Maybe it says "Athena *something*" (which would make sense), but that's a stretch.

And it only gets weirder.

It pours a hazy tan-yellow body with a slumping gray head.
The nose is doughy, slathered with oregano, basil, tomato paste, and garlic...and pretty much exactly as promised. Bizarre, but it is not offensive. The garlic is low key, and I appreciate that, as I was worried that it might be obnoxiously garlicky.
The smell is spot-on (for what it is), taste is more of a mixed bag. A thin-crust maltiness with some creeping sweetness, that begins more and more to hint at tomato. It's more doughy later on, as the spices (again, obviously, basil, oregano, and garlic). Hopping is negligible.
Light bodied, lowly carbonated. The spicing does catch up after a while, and limit drinkability.
It's mild enough to not overwhelm or offend, but also bland enough to not warrant a repeat visit. It's probably worth a spin just for quirkiness' sake. Just don't expect any "wows".

cokes, May 19, 2008
2.85/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. Cheers to Knifestyles for busting this out as a surprise during a recent tasting.

A: Clear pale amber body under a thin, fine layer of off-white head. Ok retention, light lace. Not bad.

S: Well, yeah. It does smell like pizza. Huge parmesan, oregano, and doughy white flour. I can't hate it.

T: Follows the nose, but with a kinda gross, herbal aftertaste. Stale oregano? Not great.

M: Light-bodied and lively. All right.

O: I love pizza, but now I know that it's better to eat it than drink it. That said, this beer really wasn't as disgusting as its reputation promised - which was actually somewhat disappointing. I wish it had been really amazing or really horrible, not just weird.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Sep 09, 2012
2.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Expecting a murky reddish tinted brew, surprised to find a mostly clear dark gold liquid. Scent was mild and had notes or oregano and light vegetable. Taste lead with oregano again, but tomato sauce pokes through, a lightly salty note, mild bread, other faint notes of spice. Lighter side of medium, bubbly. Bought due to the novelty and was quite frankly afraid of what the outcome would be... overall i enjoyed it for what it was, but wouldn't need to drink again.

rfgetz, Dec 17, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a solid red with a white head. Nothing impressive, but nothing offputting about it, either.

Smells strongly of generic pizza seasoningss. Like, if you buy the stuff at the grocery store that's just labeled "Pizza Seasoning." Taragon, maybe. I think. Some light nodes of basil and oregano, too. Nothing beerish, but still not horribly unpleasant.

Tastes a little disturbing. You ever see that movie _The Polar Express?_ It's not very good. Anyhow, as you might know it was one of the first cellshaded movies. They shot it with live actors and then they animated over the actors, giving the movie a really weird, creepy feel. For some reason they dubbed over the voices. This one character was a little kid, and as it was actual film of an actual kid that had just had animation laid on top of it, the kid looked really realistic. But, like I said, his voice was overdubbed, it was high-pitched and nerdy and cartoonish. The voice was from some popular voiceactor who I've heard dozens of times before on different TV shows (he was Dexter's nemesis on "Dexter's Lab"). When that voice was used on cartoons it worked just fine. But when it was used in the Polar Express, when this ridiculous fake imitation of a child was coming out of the mouth of an actual child, the result was nothing short of terrifying. And that's pretty much how this beer is.

It's not helped out by a weak, thin body, either. Nor by the Italiano dyspepsia it gives you.

mynie, Aug 01, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -23.8%

A: Pours a golden hue with a nice foamy head. No lace.

S: Holy shit it smells like pizza, don't think that is necessarily a good thing though. Tomato paste with strong glaric. Hints of oregano as well.

T: Good thing it tastes better than it smells. The aroma is somewhat offputting but the taste better than I expected even though my expectations were nothing. malty flavors with hints of pizza herbs. Very light tomato and a touch of garlic. More beer than pizza which is a good thing.

M: Medium to thin in body, so so carbonation.

D: This is one I had wanted to try for novelty sake. I expected nothing and it is just above that. Not one you would drink more than one of and to be honest I would rather share. It would be best pared with an italian meal. If their goal was to create a drinkable pizza beer I would say they did it. Now the next problem will be finding people who are in the market for pizza beer...I'm not!

tpd975, Jan 11, 2009

Holland, Jul 13, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +39.4%

thatoneguymike, Apr 07, 2014
2.93/5  rDev +8.9%

473ml bottle served in a wine glass

L - murky copper color with a short white head that just faded away.

S - tomato and basil.

T - upfront there's a bunch of oregano with the tomato and basil coming into play on the backend.

F - medium bodied with fizzy carbonation.

O - it is what it is, a novelty beer.

JoeyBeerBelly, Oct 14, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +20.8%

st9647v3, Nov 07, 2012
3.4/5  rDev +26.4%

Okay, so I'm always game to try a gimmick beer. This one is a little stranger than usual...beer made with pizza. The beer itself is a hazy, slightly dark yellow color. No real head after a few seconds. The smell, though, is what fascinated me. It really smells like a pizza. Pizza spice (basil and oregano), pizza crust, and tomato (I'm not sure about the cheese). The pizza is backed by a very slight malt scent, but it mostly smells like a pie. I expected a beer brewed with pizza spice, but this one really surprised me. The flavor has some pizza spice to it, but otherwise is similar to an american all-malt lager beer. Hops are very restrained, and the beer is balanced slightly to the dry side. Finish is quick and the beer is very light in body. This one is very much worth a try, just for the unique flavor.

Suds, Nov 11, 2012