1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cant Dog Imperial IPA - Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant

Cant Dog Imperial IPACant Dog Imperial IPA

Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant visit their website
Maine, United States

This beer is the one beer that our brewers and I would take to that mythical deserted island if we could only bring one Marshall Wharf beer. Huge malt backbone matched with huge amounts of hops.

(Beer added by: warriorsoul on 11-25-2008)

4.93/5  rDev +20%

like drinking a grapefruit that has been injected with alcohol . a complex fruity,piney,but over all grapefruit essence to me. awesome beer for it's type. I happen to like a powerful ,remarkable beer
when you finish a can you will either love it or hate it,I LOVE IT> Definitely a sipper,but, what a pint!

4.91/5  rDev +19.5%

This will be #500 (including hads, lame) for me.

Picked up a can of this on a trip to bar harbor, not thinking much about it, only knowing that MW makes pretty good beer. Cracked the can around the campfire in Acadia Nat Park - WHOA! Almost fell in the fire I was so blown away by the taste. I had had Heady Topper a month or so before and this was right on par. I had to go back the next day and buy a 4-pack I was so impressed. Anyway, what follows is a review of the second one, poured into a glass at home, but I'll factor both experiences in.

A - pours a copper amber colour, maybe seems a little on the darker side for a DIPA, but not off by any means. Pours a half finger or so of head, but it sticks around on top, which is really cool.

S - mmm, sweet hops, bright citrussy smells, some malt, and some sweet booze on the back. This might be my favorite part of the beer. I just remember smelling this at the campfire for the first time and then getting excited all of a sudden because I knew good things were to come.

T - lots of hops, a little burn from the 9.7% alcohol, but lots of citrusy fruits, pineapple, lemon, yumm. I think the fresher and the colder the better though, and it was even better out of the can than from the glass. When I first drank this I said aloud that this beer tops Heady (no pun).

M - a good medium body, solid carbonation and the warmth from the booze is actually quite nice.

Overall, I would say this beer's strong suits are its great balance (it is 10% after all) between being high alcohol and having great flavours. If this isn't better than Heady (I'm not saying if it is or isn't) it's probably the second best DIPA I've ever had. Drinking it from the can is key though, which I think is what I'll do with the rest of my pack. And fortunately, I'm only a 4-5 hour drive away from Marshall Wharf, which in Atlantic Canadian terms, is really not that bad.

Edit: I'm going to declare this better than Heady. This also ages much better than Heady.

4.85/5  rDev +18%

BEST WHEN LESS THAN 3 DAYS OLD. When fresh this beer is floral, citrusy, crisp, fresh, piny and balanced. It can't really be compared to other DIPA's like Heady Topper and Hill Farmstead's Abner, it is more like Stone's Ruination on steroids. A unique IPA experience. Glad to have Marshall Wharf in Maine.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Cant Dog Imperial IPA from Marshall Wharf Brewing Company / Three Tides Restaurant