Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hangar 24 Orange Wheat - Hangar 24 Brewery

Hangar 24 Orange WheatHangar 24 Orange Wheat

Hangar 24 Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Floydster on 03-22-2008

Reviews by Gstarkey:

I have actually had the pleasure of going to hangar 24 brewery in Redlands California being that i only live about 30 miles away or so. I cant really believe that this was in my backyard the whole time!. The brewery seems like its kind of in the middle of nowhere but when you arrive the parking lot seems full and there are lots of people around drinking lots of fresh beer. The layout is very open and flows pretty freely. You simple walk in and step up to the counter and order what you like.

After promptly ordering a cold pint of orange wheat we then proceeded to take a tour of the brewery which was very educational being that this was my first tour of a working brewery. Now lets rate the beer. Poured a very hazy orangeish golden color. About a finger and a half of white head. The smell was very much of fresh oranges. Some mild hop and malt aromas followed.

The taste was like the smell very much oranges, some small hop and sweet maltiness. But mostly citrus flavors. Very nice beer something i would definitely session on a sunday afternoon watching football or something. This is a beer you should really try along with the rest of what hangar makes and if your close check out their brewery its very cool.

I came across this site looking for locations for taps and also wanted to read some reviews and was blown away by what was posted on this, my most favorite beer ever.

Judging from the amount of energy dedicated to evaluating the foam details, how thick the head is, what its color is and how long it stuck around the glass rim, I am definitely not the same beer enthusiast as most here. Personally I don't care an inch about the foam, and bothering to post a review to cry about how you don't agree with the bubbles is just sad. Do any of you actually drink the beer, or is this a wine snob area where you swish it around and spit it out, staring at the glass and whining instead of drinking. I'm so lost on most of your tact.

The beer, the part I like, is my favorite. It's a hefe style brew, has a light hint of orange, and I think it's phenomenal. Judging from the amount of lather and low scores, it's clear I might be alone, but anyone that gives this beer a 3 is a tool. No beer is perfect, like wine or women, people have individual tastes, but three of five is a lame pedestrian score and totally out of place for this orange wheat. It's at least a four in the world of beers, and I railed my review with perfect fives because that is how I, drinker of the beer, feel about this brew. Amazing in every way, I have not had anything but this in my glass for almost a year. On tap or by the bottle, I stocked my garage fridge with this, and load the pitcher or schooner in the same way.

I will again admit, I couldnt care less about the bubbles, the exact shade or color, the sound it makes when it goes glug glug into my glass, but I love the beer, the taste, and prefer it over several of my other likes, which are all wheat type cloudy unfiltered hefe's. If your world cares about all that, help yourself to another review. As for me, next chance I have, I will help myself to another orange wheat.

Before anyone cries more rivers about my review, I didn't even know hangar 24 existed, and I live less than an hour away from the brewery, so no this isn't some hurt employee trying to juice the scores like this is some type of yelp attack. I love this beer and think most the reviews posted here are junk.

Thanks for reading, I hope this stays here for all to see because the site should be based on real users drinking real beer... you know... beer, the liquid part the foam is floating on.

3.94/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #73 (Feb 2013):

One of the most interesting fruit beers we’ve seen in a long while. Not just flavored with oranges but Hangar 24 adds whole oranges throughout the brewing process. Extremely refreshing and a well needed departure from the norm. a beer to be remembered.

STYLE: Fruit Beer
ABV: 4.6%

LOOK: Hazed sandy hue, great head retention

SMELL: Orange peel, bready, pithy, nutty, zest, pulp, faint spice

TASTE: Very crisp, spicy, lighter bodied, bread crust, orange taffy, nutty yeast, orange peel, pith and pulp, clean graininess, dry semi-puckering finish

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The Beers of California

Bottle Date: None

A: Hazy pale golden with a white, micro bubble head of foam. The bubbles leave a rim and a trace lace on the glass. There is a trace amount of lace on the rim and the glass.

S: Strong lemon and orange zest which floats on top of a honey wheat base.

T: Honey and orange juice sweetness ushers in moments of wheat and cracker maltiness. There are hints of clove and black pepper spice. The finish is clean and earthy. Simple, sweet and well executed.

M: Light feel and somewhat chewy. Could have used a bit more carbonation to add to the brew's lightness and brightness.

O: A sweet wheat ale and a refreshing session brew for hot summer days. Picked this up to celebrate the start of spring, which is really the start of Southern California's Summer.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

On Tap

Hangar 24 Brewery
Redlands, CA

Cloudy golden yellow. Initial foaming white head that doesn't last for long.

Pungent aroma of oranges. They certainly delivered on their promise of an orange and wheat beer, though there is little else here to smell but the orange.

A sweet wheat beer dominated by orange flavor along with a touch of astringency and bready wheat character.

Light to medium mouthfeel, though it seems a touch syrupy.

A flavorful and sweet orange wheat. I couldn't drink a ton of this, but they certainly deliver on their promise of this beer being "orange" and "wheat."

3.72/5  rDev +5.4%

3.86/5  rDev +9.3%

Aroma is fantastic. Smells like the middle of an orange grove midseason. Little to no hops or malt smell, strictly delicious orange.

Pours as expected for a wheat beer with a fair amount of head that compresses to become thin and slightly creamy.

Surprisingly very little orange flavor. I would like to taste just the tiniest hint or orange, but I couldn't. Just a grainy flavor with hops and malt flavors way way in the backfield.

I'm not a big fan of light flavored beers in general. Got this for my wife as a way to bring her over to the brighter side of craft brews. It is a decent and refreshing brew though, just wish it had a bit more orange flavor for the novelty.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

Had this one (replete with accompanying orange slice) with a burger at Red Robin. Looks a little strange in the glass; maybe a little too opaque and not enough carbonation for the style? Nose is absent; the only thing I could smell was the orange slice. Taste is basically absent, although not off-putting. Not exciting at all. If Blue Moon is an option, go for it over this one.

3.89/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a hazy, pale orange with a white, half finger head. Sub-par retention. Leaves a near smooth surface, with bubbles clinging around the edge of the glass. Spotty lacing, with little stick.

Smell - Simple but fair aroma of wheat and watered down orange juice.

Taste - Follows the nose. Moderate wheaty flavor backed by a mild orange juice character. A hint of spice. Faint mint on the finish. Simple, straight forward flavor profile.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with crisp carbonation. Clean, smooth finish.

Overall - Definitely a summertime beer. Light and refreshing. If I were looking for something to drink in the sun, though, this wouldn't beer my first choice. Not enough meat on this bone, so to speak.

Hangar 24 Orange Wheat from Hangar 24 Brewery