Hangar 24 Orange Wheat - Hangar 24 Brewery

good

Hangar 24 Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Floydster on 03-22-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hangar 24 Orange Wheat Alström Bros

I came across this site looking for locations for taps and also wanted to read some reviews and was blown away by what was posted on this, my most favorite beer ever.

Judging from the amount of energy dedicated to evaluating the foam details, how thick the head is, what its color is and how long it stuck around the glass rim, I am definitely not the same beer enthusiast as most here. Personally I don't care an inch about the foam, and bothering to post a review to cry about how you don't agree with the bubbles is just sad. Do any of you actually drink the beer, or is this a wine snob area where you swish it around and spit it out, staring at the glass and whining instead of drinking. I'm so lost on most of your tact.

The beer, the part I like, is my favorite. It's a hefe style brew, has a light hint of orange, and I think it's phenomenal. Judging from the amount of lather and low scores, it's clear I might be alone, but anyone that gives this beer a 3 is a tool. No beer is perfect, like wine or women, people have individual tastes, but three of five is a lame pedestrian score and totally out of place for this orange wheat. It's at least a four in the world of beers, and I railed my review with perfect fives because that is how I, drinker of the beer, feel about this brew. Amazing in every way, I have not had anything but this in my glass for almost a year. On tap or by the bottle, I stocked my garage fridge with this, and load the pitcher or schooner in the same way.

I will again admit, I couldnt care less about the bubbles, the exact shade or color, the sound it makes when it goes glug glug into my glass, but I love the beer, the taste, and prefer it over several of my other likes, which are all wheat type cloudy unfiltered hefe's. If your world cares about all that, help yourself to another review. As for me, next chance I have, I will help myself to another orange wheat.

Before anyone cries more rivers about my review, I didn't even know hangar 24 existed, and I live less than an hour away from the brewery, so no this isn't some hurt employee trying to juice the scores like this is some type of yelp attack. I love this beer and think most the reviews posted here are junk.

Thanks for reading, I hope this stays here for all to see because the site should be based on real users drinking real beer... you know... beer, the liquid part the foam is floating on. (2,408 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

This is a great beer for a hot day. I for one enjoy the citrus flavor. Others have complained about the lack of wheat taste, but forget this is an American Wheat ale, not a Bavarian style. So yes the traditional wheat tast will not be overwhelming. This is a great brew and is one I will continue to buy. Highly recommend for dudes wanting to have their girls drink a good craft brew that is not overwhelming like an IPA. (422 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +30.1%

Sampled this at the Stone 14th Anniversary fest.... Had to try it, since Hangar 24 is from my hometown of Redlands, Ca (which, coincidentally, also is formerly the Navel Orange Capital of the World).

The smell was fantastic, if what you want is a beer that smells strongly of fresh oranges. The scent of oranges was so strong that it almost made me expect it to taste more like orange juice than like beer, but I'm glad it didn't. The taste was still a "good beer" taste, but also still light and refreshing. Not heavy

Very refreshing and enjoyable. Perfect for a hot day (and I know how hot it gets out there in Redlands!).

Overall, I would highly recommend it if you want something to cool you off after mowing the lawn or something. I really enjoyed it. (760 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +27.3%

This beer is chock full of oranges, and it works if you're in the mood for something refreshing & light. Lightly effervescent, tingly on the tongue & pallete, with overtones of Valencia Oranges. This beer works as a session beer for a day or evening. (250 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +26.5%

poured into cold pint glass...

A- poured a deep golden orange color with two fingers of head and light lacing

S- smells like your standing in the middle of an orange grove

T- tasty, very light but with flavors of orange and other citrus..

M- light carbonation but REFRESHING

O- could literally drink this beer all day and enjoy it, nothin better on a hot summer day too (374 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.
4.6% ABV, no bottle date.

Thanks for the brew Tom!

A - Poured, swirled, and poured again, this beer fills the tulip with a completely hazed pale wheat yellow color which is capped by a fluffy cloud-white head. Some gobs of lace are left behind as the well-retained head glides down.

S - Sweet orange peel zest escapes with some little lemon rind hints for an inviting citrus bouquet which softly soars over the delicate wheat aroma and pale malt base. The aroma briefly touches on dry yeast, but over all, its simple, straight forward, and pretty awesome.

T - Bright and refreshing, the light flavor should not be mistaken for being flavor-LESS. Rather, the subtle citrus cleans the tongue without being overwhelming or fruit beer-like. Instead of huge citrus, pale malt and soft wheat almost explode with a pulled punch. Restrained and very well balanced, the flavor is quite a pleasure to roll around on the tongue.

M - Soft, open, and airy, the smooth mouthfeel is accentuated by sparkling carbonation which dances on the tongue gently adding a crisp, refreshing tingle to the finish. In addition to Orange Wheat's wheat profile which really adds a smooth, soft dimension to this beer, the oranges are mildly tart on the palate, drying it out for balance which knocks it out of the park.

O - Every once and a while beer drinkers get in a slump. While still appreciative of their respective greatness, we become somewhat bored or uninspired by even some of the best beers. Having said that, Hangar 24's Orange Wheat has rejuvenated me with it's fresh take on the pale wheat style by adding fresh oranges which play out incredibly well in the flavor, adding terrific balance and a bright citrus characteristic. I really wish a) this beer was available in Wisconsin, and b) that I would have found about it towards the beginning of the summer. Absolutely awesome. (1,909 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Really refreshing, I thought it was going to be similar to soda but it wasn't at all.

It has a bright lemon yellow-orange look, and a very fruity smell. I'm not yet experienced enough to separate the aroma, but its fruity but not overpowering.

It has a light fruit flavor to it, but just like its smell, its taste is very balanced. I thought the carbonation was good. And it was light in feel, easy to have alot of these or just chill on one while working on a side-project.

Hmmm, your girlfriend (not wife, hahah) will definitely enjoy it. (546 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

I tried this beer n i thought it had as very crisp taste to it. The only thing i really didnt like was that all the yeast were pretty much on the bottom. I ended up not drinking last couple sips. Overall it wasnt a bad tasting beer. I would def try it again. (258 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +23.1%

Love this beer and what the crew at Hangar has done in such a short period of time.

They are in inspiration to those of us who aspire to create good beer and share it. I was down at the brewery yesterday talking with the gal behind the tasting counter and she told me that 70% of their sales is this beer. Several of the other styles are also very good, but this Orange Wheat is very good.

Especially on a hot summer day, you can really suck it down.

Thanks guys for making it and it is awesome you are so close to us. (522 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer sets out to do one thing. That thing is to be damn refreshing and easy to drink. This stuff tastes exactly as the name suggests, orange forward with a nice wheat backbone. Perfect for those hot Southern California summer days.

The only complaint I do have about it is that the orange flavor could be a bit more pronounced though this is just personal preference. (374 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I’m not a hefe hater. Now that I’ve had several that are simply amazing I know just why people who love the style are so enthusiastic about it. It’s a shame that so much that’s available these days is just subpar tho. While I was not ‘wowed’ by Hanger 24’s take on the wheat beer neither was it a disappointment. I’d be perfectly happy drinking this at a party or on a hot summer day. It pours a cloudy orange color. Foamy! It has a nice note of coriander on the nose. Clear orange-wheat character with a light tartness and a clean finish. One of the better ones. (579 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +16.7%

Aroma is very nice on Orange Wheat. Orange rind combined with this mellow wheat character. Very sweet on the nose, and enticing me to take a sip.

Hazy dark straw yellow in color with a crisp bright white head. No lacing to speak of which is somewhat disappointing. I love when my beer laces. Why can't breweries just throw a touch of victory malt in there to help with lacing and head retention?

Big orange on the palate from start to finish. Smooth flavors with a nice moderate carbonation level and light texture. This is refreshing, delicious, and a nice change of pace from the same-old same-old. Wish I could get this locally. (633 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

First time I tried this beer was on tap at a Cucamonga Quakes baseball game with a bag of peanuts. I later bought some at the store but the bottled ones didn't taste as good as the tap version.
They offered to put orange slices in the cup with the beer and I followed with a quick "no thanks".
The orange aroma coming from this beer is very intoxicating but not overpowering as I can still smell the alcohol and wheat.
I was quite surprised by the taste as I was expecting to be overpowered by the taste of Tang and beer. It was actually just a small hint of orange flavor mixed in with a good wheat beer.
A great beer for a hot summer night at the ballpark and alot better than the other diuretics they were serving behind the counter. (744 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +15%

A - mirky golden color with a bit of head that dissipates quickly. Lacing is present, but not much...

S - Oranges of course, plus a sweetness and a bit of grainy hay smells. Pleasant though.

T - Very light tasting - almost too watery at first, especially after drinking heavier beers first..however when drinking this exclusively, it's very nice. Oranges are very present but not overpowering, the wheaty aftertaste is good.

M - lightly carbonated, leaves a nice tingly feeling in the mouth. I like this a lot.

D - Easily drinkable. I can drink probably a whole six pack by myself with no problems.

All in all a very good beer. I can easily understand why this is their "signature" style. Love it! (702 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

Pint at Gourmet Pizza Shoppe a few days ago for $5.50, first time I have seen a Hangar 24 beer available, it is a wheat beer with locally grown oranges added throughout the brewing process

Directly from the website: "Our oranges are purchased through the Old Grove Orange company (affiliate of the non-profit Inland Orange Conservancy) whose main objectives are to save the local orange trees from disappearing, spread the word about the local citrus growing heritage, and to feed the hungry with the unutilized oranges. Please visit them at www.inlandorange.org. All we need to do to save the orange trees is to eat locally grown oranges!"

A-One of the murkiest beers I have ever seen, medium orange with a golden tint in the light, 3/4 inch creamy white head that stuck around for a while, good retention, some lacing at the beginning

S-Tons of oranges, wheat, bananas, grassy accents, bready malt aromas, cloves, coriander, other citrus, and various spices

T-Oranges right from the beginning, some wheat and barley in the middle, sweet aftertaste with more citrus, as it warmed became even sweeter, lemons and tangerines also came into the picture, wheat stood out more, finish reminded me of orange juice oddly, still really easy to drink, maybe a little bit on the watered down side, nicely balanced and no flavor overpowers another, not bad overall

M-Sweet and citrusy mouthfeel, somewhat chewy at times, medium bodied, taste did not last long after each sip, could have used some more carbonation

D-Could drink a few pints of this easy, but the sweet orange flavor would get heavy on the stomach eventually, smooth, feels low in ABV, would make a nice session beer for the summer

Had to try this since it is the first beer brewed where I live in Redlands, was told by the bartender that this is not a hefeweizen, quite good for the first batch, will be drinking a lot of this in the future, especially as it continues to get hot, recommended (1,955 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Pours a hazy orange with a thin white head.

S: Fresh orange juice/zest and some wheat in a simple, somewhat faint nose. Smells good.

T: Coriander, poppy, wheat, orange juice and rind, but the orange is a bit light. This could have used a strong dose oif citra hops or just plain more orange. A tiny bit of skunkiness is detectable, but so slight that it barely detracts from the beer's tastiness.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with average/above average carbonation, but not harsh.

O: This could have been done better and it could have been more citric, but it's a decent wheat beer. Worth a try. (613 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +12%

Hazy yellow with thin white head that disappears very quickly. Pretty much no trace of any lacing.

Smells of oranges of course, some malt and wheat, and a trace of honey.

Nothing but sweet and tangy orange up front, then some of that honey and malt. But after that there isn't much lingering on the tongue, not much aftertaste good or bad. Really really crisp and clean finish where I wish there was more on the follow-through. But still refreshing.

Great mouthfeel, nice carbonation that really cleanses the palate. I could definitely keep drinking these on a hot day, or even on a cool January night like tonight. (618 characters)

I have actually had the pleasure of going to hangar 24 brewery in Redlands California being that i only live about 30 miles away or so. I cant really believe that this was in my backyard the whole time!. The brewery seems like its kind of in the middle of nowhere but when you arrive the parking lot seems full and there are lots of people around drinking lots of fresh beer. The layout is very open and flows pretty freely. You simple walk in and step up to the counter and order what you like.

After promptly ordering a cold pint of orange wheat we then proceeded to take a tour of the brewery which was very educational being that this was my first tour of a working brewery. Now lets rate the beer. Poured a very hazy orangeish golden color. About a finger and a half of white head. The smell was very much of fresh oranges. Some mild hop and malt aromas followed.

The taste was like the smell very much oranges, some small hop and sweet maltiness. But mostly citrus flavors. Very nice beer something i would definitely session on a sunday afternoon watching football or something. This is a beer you should really try along with the rest of what hangar makes and if your close check out their brewery its very cool. (1,224 characters)

Poured a murky pale orange in color with yellow highlights that had a half finger of head and left a little bubbly lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma definitely had lots of orange and citrus with slight grainy wheat notes and some sugary sweetness. The taste was also big on the orange citrus character but was more sweet on the palate alongside the grainy wheat notes but it did have a touch of zest. The brew was light to medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a sweet, zesty, grainy, and sugary finish. It actually drank good and was able to out a couple pints with dinner. (601 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +10.3%

6-pack bought in Calimesa, on to the beer:

Banana peel yellow color, the body has medium haze, and the head is thin on top. Smells like....ORANGES!!! It explodes onto the scene. Fresh, ripe oranges. Tart, citrusy oranges. As expected, there is plenty of orange in the flavor as well. The malted wheat provides a good backbone to the orange flavor. First, you taste the wheat, then, you get the burst of oranges. the beer has strong carbonation, a bit much for my liking....almost soda-like in the most extreme case. Hints honey at times. Shredded wheat notes hold on to the tongue in the aftertaste.

This is a well made orange wheat ale. Oranges all over the place, yet still has that malted wheat backdrop. Needless to say, great pick for hot weather. (755 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Well, I was watching 24 tonight so why not break out this Hangar 24 offering so graciously included in a trade with gcphilli.

Very light coloring that can only be described as chartreuse. Moderately viscous with ample carbonation and yeasty wisps up top. Somewhat cloudy. Definitely looks like a pale wheat ale of the American persuasion.

Maybe the yeastiness isn't as doughy as something like Oberon but it's there. Can definitely find the bitter orange peel in there. Perhaps the wheat electricity is a little more quiet than in a crisper hefe but there's a good brightness to it. Dough gets a little more prevalent with warmth.

This is a lot cleaner than crisper than the look and scent indicates. Wheat electricity abounds with a solid carbonation and brings out the orange zest very nicely. Not huge doughiness to this but that's OK - it's quite quenching. Maybe a little heavy on the orange but hell, it's called "orange wheat" and it's not overbearing. Mission accomplished.

This gets better with each sip. Carbonation isn't salty - it actually serves as a synergy agent to tie together the wheat, yeast and orange...and maybe a hint of hop pininess (but seriously, this has to be like 5 IBUs or something). Sure, there might be a slight hint of astringency from the orange peel but nothing to bunch up your scivvies about.

Really, this is what including locals as trade extras is all about. Something a little off the beaten path from a place I never heard about, and y'know what? It's pretty damn good. Great for a lawnmower, beach, gateway beer or whatever you want to call it. Could easily snag a 6er of this and head to the beach. And I'm guessing there's a full day's supply of Vitamin C in here. (1,715 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #73 (Feb 2013):

One of the most interesting fruit beers we’ve seen in a long while. Not just flavored with oranges but Hangar 24 adds whole oranges throughout the brewing process. Extremely refreshing and a well needed departure from the norm. a beer to be remembered.

STYLE: Fruit Beer
ABV: 4.6%
AVAILABILITY: Year-round

LOOK: Hazed sandy hue, great head retention

SMELL: Orange peel, bready, pithy, nutty, zest, pulp, faint spice

TASTE: Very crisp, spicy, lighter bodied, bread crust, orange taffy, nutty yeast, orange peel, pith and pulp, clean graininess, dry semi-puckering finish (620 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Looks like effervescent orange juice when held up to the light. Not a lot of foam, very good lacing.

Smell: Grainy malts and (surprise!) citrus hops.

Taste: Grassy/grainy malts and orange, like a good Hefeweizen with an extra citrus kick.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, smooth, and refreshing.

The Verdict: Very good. Well balanced and tasty, this is what Shock Top could taste like if it wasn’t made by a big conglomerate. Can’t wait to down a few of these when the heat of summer kicks in. (507 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours cloudy straw yellow, with a huge pure white head, that for some strange reason dissipates rather quickly with no lacing, nor much retention.

Smells as advertised, of oranges. A tangy yeasty beer, pretty close to where it should be.

Tastes like a wheat beer, with and orange-y citricness throughout, which really intensifies at the finish. Nothing overpowering though, and very nice.

Texture is light and crisp, easy to drink, especially as it's a rather low abv. Carbonation isn't too bubbly.

I rather liked the orange and wheat combo, a bit stronger than most wheat's fruitiness, and it fits. That being said, I won't get this again, as it's more of a session beer, and I don't get much chance to session these days.

DOA (732 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +7.5%

Aroma is fantastic. Smells like the middle of an orange grove midseason. Little to no hops or malt smell, strictly delicious orange.

Pours as expected for a wheat beer with a fair amount of head that compresses to become thin and slightly creamy.

Surprisingly very little orange flavor. I would like to taste just the tiniest hint or orange, but I couldn't. Just a grainy flavor with hops and malt flavors way way in the backfield.

I'm not a big fan of light flavored beers in general. Got this for my wife as a way to bring her over to the brighter side of craft brews. It is a decent and refreshing brew though, just wish it had a bit more orange flavor for the novelty. (675 characters)

Hangar 24 Orange Wheat from Hangar 24 Brewery