Hangar 24 Orange Wheat - Hangar 24 Brewery

Hangar 24 Orange WheatHangar 24 Orange Wheat

Hangar 24 Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Floydster on 03-22-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hangar 24 Orange Wheat Alström Bros

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Though it has 'orange' in the name this Hangar 24 offering has an aroma that smells an awful lot like lemon curd. Even its appearance is most definitely yellow (not orange) and it, too, has the complexion of pie filling. It's a most turbid, thick-looking wheat beer and it's topped with a meringue whip of its own.

Granted, there's little (naturally or artificially) sweet about this fruit beer; my mind quickly turns off dessert and onto breakfast. The bouquet smells plenty like marmalade and orange blossoms, rose petal herbal tea, and also has a hint of the citrusy tartness of a breakfast grapefruit.

Sweet is arguably the most satisfying of all flavours. It's often quite satiating too (think of a rich chocolatey dessert). But nothing is more refreshing than tartness, and this beer drinks something like a grapefruit radler. It's a very tangy quaff, combining a moderate base of grainy, lightly sweet malt with a citrusy quality that can border on lemon-like sour on some sips.

Not all sips, mind you. Some have a total absence of tartness. And flavour for that matter. Indeed, this beer shows flashes of being an excellent hot weather quencher - that, I assume, is the intention behind this brand - but there's concern over its consistency; impressions vary from 'wow this is delicious' to 'wow this is flat'.

Overall, however, Hanger 24 Orange Wheat is as pleasant as the sunny summer afternoon it aims to accompany. Those hellbent on getting as much intense, sweet fruit as possible should ask for a couple extra orange wedges, but anyone simply looking for easy-going, mindless refreshment should enjoy it just fine. I sure liked it.

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Beer poured beautifully out of the bottle, with a nice head that sadly disappeared quickly.

Pale straw in color, but head was very nice bright color when in place.

Does not have an overly pronounced orange taste but does have a bright citrus edge to it. Those that enjoy a Lost Coast Great White will like this beer a lot.

Looking forward to distribution throughout the state of Arizona on this brand.

4.03/5  rDev +16.8%

A: Pours a hazy orange with a thin white head.

S: Fresh orange juice/zest and some wheat in a simple, somewhat faint nose. Smells good.

T: Coriander, poppy, wheat, orange juice and rind, but the orange is a bit light. This could have used a strong dose oif citra hops or just plain more orange. A tiny bit of skunkiness is detectable, but so slight that it barely detracts from the beer's tastiness.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with average/above average carbonation, but not harsh.

O: This could have been done better and it could have been more citric, but it's a decent wheat beer. Worth a try.

3.59/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Consumed November 6th, 2013 at The Magic Castle, Hollywood, CA.

Beer is a light, lemony yellow. Slightly cloudy. Long lived one finger white foam head. Good sheeting but not very sticky.

Aroma is tangy wheat and sweet orange.

Flavor is the same as aroma: mild wheat, mild sweet orange. Finishes with a dash of bitterness that doesn't linger.

Slight dryness and tingle on the finish. Medium mouthfeel.

Great beer for light drinking, but not the kind of thing I usually go for.

3.41/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type from a bottle poured into a Tulip Glass

Appearance- Unfiltered wheat color, hazy, almost an orange hue to it

Smell- Orange zest, wheat, citrus peel

Taste- Wheat, Orange and citrus zest, clean smooth refreshing taste an overall easy sipping beer very enjoyable

Mouthfeel- Smooth, light body easy drinking "California Hefe" or wheat beer with orange

Overall- Very good I have had this beer several times and it does not dissapoint, Hangar 24 keeps pumping out great beer

3.51/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Part of a H24 tasting at WF Venice.

A: Poured from a can a hazy straw yellow with a half-inch white head which faded slowely and left spots of lace.

N: Wheaty and orange citrus with faint malt sweetness.

T: Wheaty grains, some yeasty esters, and orange essence.

M: Semi-moderate body and medium carbonation. Light, clean, fruity yeasty finish.

O: Easy drinking and actually pretty good.

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

I came across this site looking for locations for taps and also wanted to read some reviews and was blown away by what was posted on this, my most favorite beer ever.

Judging from the amount of energy dedicated to evaluating the foam details, how thick the head is, what its color is and how long it stuck around the glass rim, I am definitely not the same beer enthusiast as most here. Personally I don't care an inch about the foam, and bothering to post a review to cry about how you don't agree with the bubbles is just sad. Do any of you actually drink the beer, or is this a wine snob area where you swish it around and spit it out, staring at the glass and whining instead of drinking. I'm so lost on most of your tact.

The beer, the part I like, is my favorite. It's a hefe style brew, has a light hint of orange, and I think it's phenomenal. Judging from the amount of lather and low scores, it's clear I might be alone, but anyone that gives this beer a 3 is a tool. No beer is perfect, like wine or women, people have individual tastes, but three of five is a lame pedestrian score and totally out of place for this orange wheat. It's at least a four in the world of beers, and I railed my review with perfect fives because that is how I, drinker of the beer, feel about this brew. Amazing in every way, I have not had anything but this in my glass for almost a year. On tap or by the bottle, I stocked my garage fridge with this, and load the pitcher or schooner in the same way.

I will again admit, I couldnt care less about the bubbles, the exact shade or color, the sound it makes when it goes glug glug into my glass, but I love the beer, the taste, and prefer it over several of my other likes, which are all wheat type cloudy unfiltered hefe's. If your world cares about all that, help yourself to another review. As for me, next chance I have, I will help myself to another orange wheat.

Before anyone cries more rivers about my review, I didn't even know hangar 24 existed, and I live less than an hour away from the brewery, so no this isn't some hurt employee trying to juice the scores like this is some type of yelp attack. I love this beer and think most the reviews posted here are junk.

Thanks for reading, I hope this stays here for all to see because the site should be based on real users drinking real beer... you know... beer, the liquid part the foam is floating on.

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%