Barrel Roll No. 3 Pugachev's Cobra - Hangar 24 Brewery

Hangar 24 Brewery visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  16.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: rtaps on 12-11-2011

Had this on draught at the brewery on the eve of the eve of xmas.

Appearance: This poured very black, with a thin hue of brown as a buffer zone between the blackness and the glass. Beige head that is about a nickels worth and dissipates leaving it's residue around the rim.

Smell: Bourbon, char, vanilla bean, fresh ground coffee, syrup, molasses, brown sugar, fig, hazelnut, and chocolate.

Taste: Very much what the nose is telling you. vanilla, chocolate, char, sweet darker fruits like fig or dates. Throughout the sip, bourbon is wonderfully fused throughout the beer and ends with a nice splash of coffee.

Mouthfeel: The darker roast gives it that robust nice dry finish, leaving you coming back for another sip The char really gives your mouth the experience of drinking a bourbon. And the density of the beer really makes this a great sipper. A nice full bodied beer.

Overall: This is a great interpretation of the bourbon aged stout and I will say one of the best I've had. All the flavors are flawlessly mixed, and I think more importantly they aged this perfectly. Someone there is making beer fun lately, and I'm 100% on board. I'm giving this 5/5. I really wish fellow beer nerds would be generous with their 5's too. I'm tired of these hyped beers taking the top 100. This beats out any BCBS, Founders, or any other hyped stout.

4.87/5  rDev +13.5%

Great Barrel Aged Imperial Stout that's worth the higher price tag. Dark brown color with a toffee head. Chocolate, maple, oak, and a hint of vanilla bourbon aroma. Taste is similar to aroma but I got a little cherry and coffee flavor. Good beer for a special occasion, the abv. will catch up with you at 16.5% though!

4.86/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A delicious and warm and toasty feeling brew. I want to take a glass of it and drink it on my leather chair in front of a roaring fire around my leather bound books. Very smooth for having such a high ABV. Aging would make this even more spectacular.

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer packs so much heat, I don't think it is fair to rate this beer until it has at least a year on it to settle. The vanilla, oak, and all those bourbon flavors are so massive paired with an alcohol burn that matches a shot of whiskey makes this beer incredibly hard to enjoy fresh. But if you can handle letting this beer sit in your cellar for a year+ you will find it to be absolutely amazing.

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 vintage poured into a snifter. Held onto this for my 2,500 unique Untappd checkin and this blew me away. It was like drinking bourbon soaked fudge brownies. At 18.9% it took awhile to put down but I enjoyed this more than any other huge comparable beer like Chocolate Rain. I will definitely be on the lookout for more.

4.72/5  rDev +10%

On tap at the 6740 in Whittier. 4 oz pour.

Poured a dark black hue with the thinnest white head. No lacing. Had some legs on the way down the glass though.

Smell is dominated by booze. Boozy, oaky and vanilla make up the majority of the nose. Also some roasty toasted notes in there as well.

Taste is a smooth roasted goodness. Oak notes round out a long smooth vanilla finish. Booze is there but its not overly hot.

Mouthfeel is sticky and viscous and just coats the whole mouth. Booze is smooth and this beer is drinking great fresh. I wish I would have gotten some to put down.

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

I don't review many beers. It is rare that I have a beer that blows me away. I am an imperial Stout fanatic, having had well over 200 different ones it is not often that one truly blows me away with its complexity and intense flavors. This beer did.

When I first poured this beer I didn't know it was 16.5% otherwise I would have opened it with others. Dark chocolate, bourbon, warming pleasant alcohol are all noticeable on the noise and tongue. This beer has been put into my top 5 all time imperial stouts. Even though it is still young, all the flavors one desires are there.

The mouthfeel is very thick and elegant. Like smooth silk as it dances along the tongue. It warms the mouth and the throat and would make a great winter beer for a cold night with your loved one.

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Usually with beer this tough to get, I'm happy to have it once and move on. But this one, with its baker's chocolate / syrup combo, was just so incredible. You can really smell the bourbon, but I thought it didn't overpower the rest of the flavors, even it with being a recent batch. Light on the tongue, and a very dangerous level of smooth for such a high ABV.

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a damn good beer. Undeniable. Less sweet than other bbl stouts, I can tell that most of the sugars got fermented, especially given the high abv. This bottle says 18.9% by the way so, might need to make a list of vintages here. All I can say is you've got to try this. Reminds me of an avery class brew. Somehow more balanced than it's less alcoholic brothers. The body doesn't kill you, but the flavor ruins your palate. In a good way. Highly recommended.

Side by side blind tasting with bcbs: cobra takes the cake. Hmmm. Yup. This is a damn good beer.

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

Bear-hug thanks to hefman, who knocked this long-time want onto my porch this fall. 750ML bottle split with my wife, bottle 956/8856. I think. The bottle is a whole nine feet away.

The pour is cheap plastic black with minimal carbonation, as befitting a stout this close to midnight. Smells like that girl in college that you never could get: sweetness, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, wow. I wonder how big the neck on the bottle is?

Pugachev’s Cobra: Barrel Roll #3 is downright decadent. Where to start? Usually the taste, but the mouthfeel on this is a DD, huge & full & satisfying. The taste is hot alcoholic bourbon, big baster of sweetened malts, molasses (one of the few beers I could have actually tasted it even if I hadn’t read the label). All top-notch & insistent. The mid-palate brings a softer focus of licorice, fudge, almost a bit of roast. The end is all barrel & richness. And for the love of all that’s holy, I could have drunk the entire bomber. Then another. Then at least part of another before I “fell asleep” on the couch. Upstairs? I wouldn’t venture it after 50+ ounces of this beast.

Wow. One of the best new beers I’ve had in some time, this ranks right up there with the all-time classics. A beer that hits all the notes of the elite. Fantastic.

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%

December 2012 #5065 of 5360

A: Pours a thick black color with a thin mocha colored head. Definitely shows some legs in the glass.

S: Smells amazing. Toasted oak, chocolate covered hazelnuts, rye, bourbon, powdered chocolate and some faint dark fruit. Hints of charred wood as well.

T: In the words of Marv Albert- Ohhh myyyy! This stuff is awesome. Rich chocolate and dark fruit flavors upfront with roasted malt, chocolate covered cherry and brownie batter. Hints of anise, bourbon and burnt cocoa on the finish. You can tell this is a strong beer as you're drinking it, but nothing near 16% shows here. Incredibly smooth.

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving Type: Bottle (2014)
Consumed: 11.13.15

A: 4.5 Pours pitch black with a small, tan head. Looks slick and inky in the glass.

S: 4.5 Slight alcohol smell at first, but quickly develops into more interesting aromas. Lots of bourbon and vanilla up front which then integrates into roasted malt, brownies, chocolate, molasses, and light maple syrup.

T: 4.75 Taste is really surprising. Based on the nose, I was expecting a super sweet beer that only tasted of pure alcohol; I couldn’t have been more wrong. Starts off a bit sweet but is really balanced on the strong malt profile. There’s plenty of coffee, dark chocolate, and roasty bitterness to balance out sweet vanilla, caramel, coconut, and molasses flavors. The finish lingers with port and dark berries.

M: 4.5 The feel is very rich and thick with a nice, low-level but constant carbonation. The beer doesn’t feel like 19%, but it still feels big, hindering drinkability.

O: 4.75 Definitely one of my new favorite BA stouts; up there with Parabola and BCBS. Lots of great flavors and well balanced. The maple is also a nice touch without being over done.

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 Vintage.

Incredible beer. I really enjoyed the 2013, but this at 18.9 is on a different level. Aroma of huge rich chocolate, booze, vanilla, barrel, and distinctive tobacco and hefty bourbon. There is slight maple as well, overall just strong, rich, and boozy.

Strong flavors on the palate as well and very boozy. Bourbon, chocolate, caramel, vanilla and tons of barrel. Could benefit from some time to relax, but I really enjoy a strong boozy beer.

On the level with Black Tuesday and other extreme stouts.

4.59/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review of 2013 vintage, tasted from the tap at the brewery in late 2014.

A - Pitch black, no head except tiny tan ring. Big legs. Some lacing.
S - Plums, bourbon, vanilla, coconut. Coffee roast in background. Very clean.
T - Great blend of espresso and bourbon. Lots of vanilla, coconut. Mostly dry finish.
M - Medium body. Low prickly alcohol. Strong alcohol and hops burn.
O - A top notch beer that highlights both RIS and the barrel character in perfect balance.

I was fortunate enough to taste the 2012 vintage side-by-side with 2013. I found them very similar, but the 2012 was slightly thinner and sweeter. It seemed to balance more toward bourbon and less espresso than the 2013.

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nose of rich dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla and some booze.

On the taste, you can for sure taste the alcohol, 19% is unmistakable, but it's overwhelmingly smooth. Rich dark chocolate, mocha, vanilla and bourbon meld to create a liquor feel and taste. Highest ABV ived had for a beer and it was delicious. Luckily I only had 5oz.

4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

bottle #51

served into a hangar 24 barrel roll snifter

pours black cola color with a small head and fat lacing that quickly falls back down into the glass

boubon, vanilla, coffee bean, burned oak, and malt in the nose. robust alcohol presence

starts with a oaky malt taste that transitions into a sweet vanilla, finishes smoothly into a cofffee bean aftertaste.

mouthfeel isnt as heavy as i thought.

overall stouts aint really my thing, but this a beer that can change a man

4.56/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is based on the 2013 Vintage. Cork was removed by hand, and was poured into a snifter. There was about 0.5cm of head after a fairly quick pour (and no glass tipping). Temperature at opening was approximately 50 degrees, and the suggesting serving temp is 54. It warmed up to about 60 degrees during the tasting.

Poured as black as 10W-30. Strong smells included bourbon, toasted malts, vanilla, and chocolate. Reminded me of Bourbon County.

The initial taste followed the smell. Bourbon, black licorice, chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and coffee were strong. It was difficult to detect the maple syrup, but it was there. As it warmed up, the licorice became more apparent.

Very smooth - wonderful mouthfeel. Very creamy. At 13.8%, it's definitely a sipper. Overall, this is one of my favorite bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts. I highly recommend this one!

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle poured into 10 ounce Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with a brown head. Pour appears a bit thin relative to other bourbon barrel stouts. Musters a 1 finger head, which is impressive for a beer of this alcohol. However, there is a somewhat cola-like quality to the foam. A bit odd.

S: Smells awesome. Waves of bourbon, melted milk chocolate, and vanilla. As it warms a bit and opens up, the chocolate really starts to showcase itself and some caramel and brown sugar make an appearance.

T: Really nice beer. Not an overpowering bourbon presence, but enough to let you know this spent some time in a barrel. Sweet milk chocolate is prevalent in the flavor like it is in the nose. Molasses, vanilla, some brown sugar qualities, and to be honest, the bourbon is asserting itself a bit more as this one sits for some time. Alcohol warmth is apparent in the throat. A pretty nice level of sweetness for my personal tastes.

M: Mild carbonation. There is a sticky, silky, coating character that I really like. If I could critique any aspect of the beer, it is that I would prefer a slightly thicker mouthfeel, but this isn't thin by any means.

O: I really like this beer. I didn't have incredibly high expectations, although I certainly was looking forward to this one. My expectations were easily exceeded and I will be looking to acquire additional bottles when I have the chance.

4.51/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to Todd for this bottle!
Bottle #3819/5360 from the 2012 Vintage.
Poured in to snifter.

A - Black with a thin layer of light brown head that immediately reduced to a thin ring around the edges of the glass.

S - A huge bourbon aroma up front with lots of charred oak and vanilla from the barrel treatment. Chocolate fudge and a hint of sweet molasses also come through in the nose.

T - A huge cocoa flavour hits the tongue first and immediately gives way to charred oak, bourbon and vanilla flavours from the barrel. Mid-palate adds roast, licorice and chocolate fudge with some sweet molasses in the finish. The ABV is warming throughout but very well hidden considering the ABV.

M - Full bodied. Thick and chewy. Light carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. Year 2013, December, Bottle 7255/8856.

Nice classic looking big imperial stout. Black walnut and very dark body color, a head of dark mocha espresso chocolate brown forms maybe a finger tall, but settles to a very dark same colored collar. Nice sheen top without being filmy and some nice legs compliment.

What an impressive nose on this. Big dark fruits on this sucker, dates raisins and figs, with a wonderful cigar smoke. Hints of charred oak, and cigar box cedar wood all over. Heat but not boozy. Chocolate angle somewhere between milk and dark. Just large and impressive, nearly perfection.

Palate is just surprisingly fruity and large in that respect. Good notes of charred wood, charcoal and smoke. Large fruit component that gets to plum/raisin and some juicy cherry quality. Warm kirsch almost sour cherries with big roast and schnapps controlled warmth that isn't gag inducing.. Carbonation is prickly but not distracting, but for a big barrel aged brew it comes off quite light but not watery. Some leafy chewy dried tobacco aftertaste to match also, but there's no real maple sweetness on this which honestly doesn't disappoint me.

Overall just a very impressive creation, and I love the bouquet on this beer immensely.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

L: Pitch black darkness, dark brown head, good lacing
S: Sweet chocolate bourbon with some little bits of roast malt
T: Like the nose, sweet, slightly boozy and smooth
M: Pretty solid, creamy and thick, not cloying or sticky.
O: I drank one and kept one in the cellar, can't wait to see this in the future.

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Verdugo

A - totally black, with just a hint of choco brown head.

S - huuuuge bourbon that I can smell from two seats down. Yeah, there's some oak, vanilla, and sweetness underneath but damn that booze is strong. and awesome.

T - again, big bourbon up front, backed up by barrel flavors and some more subtle vanilla. It's big, it's powerful, it's awesome, but it didn't slay me. Based on the ABV I assumed it would be super hot, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't get at all too much harsh alcohol taste/burn. It was all bourbon, barrels, vanilla, and sweetness with just enough heat to remind me that it's 16.5%.

M - This was one really interesting aspect of this beer. It was actually a whole lot thinner and lighter than I expected. In a good way. It made it a pleasure to return to the glass for another sip, and entirely too easy to drink. I actually had this next to a Lost Abbey Deliverance, and the Deliverance (though also excellent) felt like a milkshake next to this.

O - This is a really outstanding beer. The first few things I had from Hangar 24 were pretty underwhelming, but between this and the last couple times I've had their DIPA it seems like things might be moving in the right direction, which is great to see. Wish I could get my hands on a bottle of this, but not necessarily to age - it's drinking really well right now and I just want more.

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml poured into a snifter 2014 released December 6.

Appearance: pitch black, tan head that did not live long, looks like motor oil, swashes around the glass, no light comes through the beer.

Smell: big aromas, a hit of bourbon, toasted coconut, licorice, some vanilla, very hot on the nose.

Taste: Big hit of bourbon, toasted coconut, vanilla, chocolate, dark fruits, lots of alcohol that lingers, dry finish, the bourbon flavors linger. It has a nice, short, middle mix of flavors, big bourbon upfront, then the alcohol lingers, mixes with the bourbon at the end.

Mouthfeel: Motor oil, no carbonation, coats the tongue and palate, alcohol burn at the end, a big beer.

Overall: I am very impressed, it's a little hot but with some age I bet this mellows out really well. It's a big beer, flavors, aromas,mouthfeel. The bourbon and alcohol dominate, I would like to see if the toasted coconut, vanilla flavors would expand with age. A must try, bought one bottle, going back for 2-3 more. This is the 2014 release.

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes. bottle 3272/3495, 2011 vintage. Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a Half Acre snifter.

A- Pours black with a 1 finger tan head. Small bubbles along the edge of the glass.

S- Huge fudge with some chocolate, lots of vanilla and some bourbon.

T- Wow! again tons of fudge, chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon.

M- Full body and medium carbonation. Has a syrupy feel.

O- Very good beer. Huge fudge bomb with lots of vanilla, bourbon and booze comes out more as it warms.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to Rtaps for sharing one of his bottles
Pitch black with 1cm bubbly khaki head. Avg retention and Fairly spotty lacing. Fairly oily and viscous. Not as much as I thought it'd be though.

Big nose. Rich dark fruit. Rum/bourbon soaked chocolate covered dark fruit. A bit boozy. Bourbon! A bit of orange peel. A touch of caramel and toffee.

Huge range of flavor. Still young and boozy but great! Great chocolatey sweet brownie finish led by strong bourbony and vanilla notes, along with a little orange peel and toffee and bold rich coffee.

Mouth is full bodied and rich. Medium Carbonation.

Overall its nice, bold and very complex. I like it now and know I'll love it Alot later! This is a monster that is going to be amazing with some age.

Barrel Roll No. 3 Pugachev's Cobra from Hangar 24 Brewery