Alpha IPA - Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant

Alpha IPA
No picture uploaded.

Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
Oregon, United States

"A beer designed to showcase hops! We use hops all the way from first wort hopping to dry hopping. Magnum, Golding, Cluster, Chinook and Columbus hops create this bitter nectar with just enough malt in the background. 70 IBU's, 6.8% alc/vol"

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 06-11-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by ccrida:
4.59/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On draught attheir brewpub, appearence is burnt gold with scattered, foamy white lace, sticky.

Smell is hop bomb. Super resinous. Pine. FRESH.

Taste is DANK! Block 15 always comes through with the fierce hops, and this is their consistent showcase. Malt? Who cares? Intense.
I've got to rib JM and disagree that the west coast style is dank and oily more than dry and bitter!

Mouthfeel is oily, chewy, and yes, dry.

Drinkability is high, a fantastic IPA. Boom!

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

I told the owner I thought this was better than Total Domination. The brewer looked up from his beer with an interested look on his face. I got called out for Ninkasi bashing. Yeah, they're not that great, wanna fight about it?

Anyways this beer is a true NW-IPA, and has improved significantly since my first few sessions with it. I do think it is superior to Total Domination because it is both assertive and juicy.

Drinking this beer, though, I realized why people aren't so huge on B15. There's a rough cuhumulone element to many of their beers, this one included. I actually wrote in the original review "a chintzy bitterness". I think that's an OK thing, you get used to it, and it is certainly a more acceptible flaw than astringency, which way too damn many start-up PacNW IPAs have.

That said, my only across the board complaint with B15 is a thing I noticed the first time continues to be true to this day. It gives me a wicked headache about 1/2 pint in. But hey, perhaps like the bitterness, I'll get used to that to.

The beer's worth it.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at Hop and Vine release the other day.

The beer pours a peachy gold color with good head retention and lacing. This beer really has a great nose, as I pick up dry citrus, tropical fruit, tangeine and pine. The flavor profile replicates the nose, though it's not quite as intense and exotic. The beer has good bitterness otherwise, though there's also a bit of heat/bite from the alcohol in the finish that I'm not entirely in love with. Otherwise, this is a pretty dry IPA (definitely not made in the so called East Coast style), and the finish is long and bitter, albeit with some noticeable alcohol at the end. Mouthfeel is medium bodied otherwise, with a good level of carbonation.

A very solid IPA, though I think a bit more malt sweetness would benefit this beer, and help to balance out the considerable bitterness.

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Slightly cloudy orange golden color with a light tan-colored head.

S - Grassy herbal hops with some citrus on the nose.

T - Citrus and floral hops with no detectable amount of alcohol considering its alcohol content. Finishes with some grapefruit flavors.

M - Medium bodied and average amount of carbonation.

O - Overall a solid and drinkable IPA. Went really well with the burger and fries I had at the brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

I make down to Corvallis about every other month for some funtion or another and Block 15 is always on my list of places to stop. They always have at least three differnt beers from my last visit, pretty fine rotation. Anyways, their Alpha IPA is my go-to beer when visiting. A fine IPA, pours a golden hued, slightly hazy pint with a nice white head that lingers for 1/2 the pint. Block 15 has really nailed the aroma on this brew, you can smell the hops within two feet of the brew, nice piney, citrusy hop party. Flavor is hop forward with a strong, but not overly strong bittering finish. The malt backbone is there, supporting the hops without being in the way. I can't really want anything more out of this IPA, yes I'll have another.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%