Hefeweizen - Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant

No picture uploaded.

Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
Oregon, United States

Hefeweizen |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: John_M on 11-08-2008)
Reviews by corylew:
corylew

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Poured on tap into a tall hefeweizen glass. You know, those ones that tell the whole bar what you're drinking. Nice thumb-thick layer of crisp white foam sitting atop a yellow cloudy body. Perfect picture of what a hefe should look like. Immediately punches you with a nose of clove, bubblegum and slight banana in the back. Taste is malty, focusing mostly on the clove from the yeast and wheat malt, as you would expect a hefe to do. Body is thin and refreshing, if not a bit too thin. Most of the flavor comes from the nose. Easy drinking and refreshing on these late summer nights, as well as being a great representation of the beer you could get in a beir garden in Munich.

10-01-2011 23:47:32 | More by corylew
Spikester

Oregon

Part of a taster set at the brewpub in Corvallis. Rich gold color with a nice white fluffy head and plenty of lacings. Aroma was banana, cloves. Taste is spot on for a Heffe. The spices are just right without taking over the flavor of the beer. Very drinkable, would be a good session choice at Block 15 brewpub.

01-07-2009 08:56:07 | More by Spikester
John_M

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

On tap at the BierStein the other day. It was just listed as the Block 15 hefeweizen; I don't believe it had any special, proprietary name.

I had never heard of this brewery before and only elected to get a glass because there was nothing else on tap this particular day that struck my interest. I'm very glad I made the decision to try it.

Poured into a .5L German hefeweizen glass.

The beer pours a tannish hazy gold color with very good head retention and lacing. The quarter inch head persisted throughout as I worked through this beer, the telltail sign of a well made German hefe (well, one of the telltail signs). On the nose I was completely shocked. The beer had a huge nose of clove and allspice, coupled with nutmeg and banana. This beer smells like an outstanding German hefeweizen, except no hefe I've ever had from the Vaterland had this amount of spice. This beer pushes the envelope, but does not quite go overboard IMO. The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, all painted on a tapestry of sweet and dry. The spice in this beer is intense and nearly overwhelming, but at least for me, was all I wanted and more in a great hefe. The beer is still fairly light on it's feet; no mean feet for a beer with this much richness and spice. I'm guessing the abv. was around 6%, but it was very hard to tell given the amount of flavor in this beer.

Wow. This is by far and away the most impressive American made, German style hefe I've ever had. I would love to see this beer paired against the real thing in a hefe tasting some time, as I feel fairly certain no one would pick it out as the imposter in the bunch. I was so impressed I stopped by the next day for another glass to see if I might have been hallucinating, but it was every bit as good. As I worked through my pint, over and over again I found myself saying the same thing. "Who are these guys?!?!"

11-08-2008 01:20:06 | More by John_M
Hefeweizen from Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.