Ol' Saint Nick - Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant

No picture uploaded.

Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

"Our Holiday Winter Warmer named for St. Nick, patron Saint of Brewers. Artistically brewed with British Pale Malted Barley, Honey Malt, and Caramel Malt. Large amounts of Noble Hops balance this big beer. 10% alc/vol 50 IBU's"

(Beer added by: Reino on 12-15-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
juliusseizure

10-18-2012 19:41:45 | More by juliusseizure
Rifugium

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

First had: on tap at their brewpub

Poured a murky, dark orange-brown, with a patchy beige head. Aroma of cinnamon and spice. Taste was big on the booze up front, spicy mid-palate with nutmeg and clove, a dusting of cocoa powder, subtle fruity notes, leafy, with a very dry finish. Medium-bodied, and nicely drinkable all around. Very good winter beer.

01-05-2012 03:54:30 | More by Rifugium
Reino

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

FYI: I'm not positive on the abv, but I know it's over 9%. The owner, Nick, doesn't label some of his bigger beers by style. This beer tastes like a double red to me, but what do I know?

Appearance- A vigorous pour from my growler into my goblet produces a solid finger in head that has a soft khaki color. The head doesn't last too long, but leaves solid lacing in it's wake. The lacing splatters like a Jackson Pollock the rest of the way. I love the dense, murkiness of this beer. The color is mahogany with apricot highlights that squeeze their way through the bottom and top.

Smell- While the head's hanging around, I get a bunch of sweet, juicy, sugary hops. Pineapple and tangerine are first with some spicy mango and piny hops thrown in the mix as well. I know he used more than a few hop varieties, and they show up early in the nose. As I get into the beer, the nose becomes much more malt forward, smelling much like a really good double red. Waves of caramel, sweet bread dough, and some bubble gum (from the yeast possibly?) take over the hops, proving this isn't a DIPA. It's a very nice smell, but I wish the hops would stay as the main focus.

Taste- I don't know exactly what I'm tasting most of the time with this beer. There's an excellent sugary sweetness that runs throughout, and a bit of heat at the finish. There's also a good dose of fruity hops with a bit of spicy hop backing, sweet caramel and doughy malts. There might even be a splash of chocolate lingering in the finish. You can tell there's a good variety of both hops and malts, which make this beer a joy to drink.

MF- Medium carbonation with a medium-full body. Only after my second pint do I start to feel any wear on my tongue. If I had to nitpick, I guess the body could be a bit fuller, but I don't know what style this is going for and I don't really mind a slightly thinner feel (and it's not THAT thin) that increases the drinkability...

Drinkability- Quite drinkable for the abv. I have had to cut myself off from this beer at the brewpub quite a few times knowing that I have to drive. I really hope Nick starts bottling some of his offerings soon like he said he's going to so that I can share some local love.

Serving type: growler

12-15-2008 01:45:44 | More by Reino
Ol' Saint Nick from Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.