Super Fly Rye - Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant

No picture uploaded.

Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
Oregon, United States

Rye Beer |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Reino on 02-09-2009)
Reviews by GreenWBush:
GreenWBush

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

Growler fills are sweet. Especially when $7. Especially when the local fill-depot is a 30-block walk.

Fellow BA Reino had been ranting and raving about this beer, so I was excited when I heard it was getting tapped this past week for the 1st anniversary for Block 15. I called him to ask if this second batch was as good as the first, and sounding beer-draggled, he said it was good but he'd had alot to drink before. OK.

Glugs out of the vessel with a look of heft, a slow-growing head that keeps a nice cap of skim as the keyboard action dictating this jiggles it. Nice "dredged beach" articles of lace around my Nostradamus chalice. From a distance it looks like a well-worn penny, redder around the edges.

Nose is clean, fresh, vibrant. Dry-hops pop up from the glass initially, but I detect the rye too. My brain fears for its life as Blue Dot images are conjured - one I love too much. Those two strong elements combine to form a spicy-smelling beer, in fact I detect an herb I can't quite put my finger on (coriander seed?) but its pulling me in to taste it. As Reino mentioned below me, the smells are delightful but don't necessarily have a pungent quality. This could also be blamed on the walk from B15 to my house, sloshing in the bookbag.

As far as flavor goes, wow, DRY! I find it rather novel that beer geeks, like wine geeks, have taken a strict NO SUGAR! policy in their beloved tipple(s). Me, I get that, but I like a spectrum of styles that are supposed to be sweet so I don't always dislike that quality...and this one might need a little more candy flavor to bounce off the hops. I think that Block 15's IPA is better than Total Domination because its has the juicier, more enjoyable cuhumulone-feel of the two, while this one goes more for the hop-jugular.

I also slightly disagree with Reino's assesment of the beer as having a slick mouthfeel. It goes down a little prickly, and that's not from the carbonation which is itself low. That said, the beer belies its nearly 8% heft. Its so dry, and borderline-astringent assertive hoppiness ensures that your tongue will get a sloughin'.

In a way this strong bitterness is a dual-edged sword; less drinkability initially, but as the tongue dries out (as it will) you like it more. After I'm through the first glass, I'm seeing this a slimmer, slightly rougher West Coast "Red's Rye". Lets see what damage we can do to the growler...

03-02-2009 04:09:17 | More by GreenWBush
Reino

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

From the brewer: Super Fly is 22% Rye malt, 7.5% alc/vol, 70 IBU's. Hops include: columbus, crystal, chinook, and cascade. Dry hopped exclusively with cascades.

$7 growler fills on Sundays. I have 64oz of this brew all to myself to review. I'm watching Beerfest to keep me motivated.

Appearance- *Poured from my growler into my Duvel tulip*
A fairly aggressive pour produces two fingers of beige-white head that does a nice job of hanging around, and leaves good lacing while it does so. The body is a gorgeous, full mahogany with some red and orange highlights when held to light.

Smell- The cascade hops shine while blending with the rye malt, resulting in a sweet and spicy nose. I get notes of sweet citrus fruits, pine, and pepper (rye?). All the aromas are very pleasing, but I wish they would bash me in the face a bit more.

Taste- Much like the nose, this beer is a very pleasant mix of sweet and spicy. The malty sweetness comes out fighting and hangs through the middle until piny, spicy hops runs it out of town. Bitter, resiny hops linger on the tongue long after the beer's gone down. The rye definitely makes a great addition to the beer by adding its own spiciness. The other malts used do a commendable job trying to balance this brew, but Super Fly is very much a hop forward rye beer, and I'm loving it. It reminds me a lot of Hop Rod Rye, and I'd think that anyone brewing a hoppy rye ale would welcome the comparison.

MF- I don't know if it's the rye's doing, but this is one creamy bitch. Incredibly smooth and full bodied, which bodes well in such a spicy brew. The finish is dry, and the spicy hops linger on my tonsils.

Drinkability- This growler will be no problem at all. My tongue might hurt a bit tomorrow, but that's a consequence I'm willing to accept. This might be my favorite Block 15 beer, and from what I hear, I'm not the only fan. Come on Corvallis BA's, let's stop being lazy and review more of Block 15's beers!

02-09-2009 03:33:31 | More by Reino
calmond72

04-05-2012 05:27:05 | More by calmond72
cbrunpc

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

I had this on cask over the weekend.

A: The cask pour had very little head.

S: Sweet smell with a hoppy overtone.

T: Sweet up front with a hoppy finish. Really quite nice.

M: Nice, the cask really creates a creamy, drinkable beer.

O: Great beer on cask, break beer on tap, great beer from a growler.

11-15-2012 03:28:36 | More by cbrunpc

dmorgan310

Panama

12-02-2012 20:39:58 | More by dmorgan310
Super Fly Rye from Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.