Super Nebula - Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant

Block 15 Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: GreenWBush on 02-24-2009

Imperial stout matured in 9 & 10 year old bourbon barrels. Additionally aged on house roasted Papua New Guinea & Ghana fair trade cocoa nibs. Deep black brew, with a brown creamy head. Excellent wood, chocolate, caramel, light smoke and bourbon in the nose. Complex flavors, with notes of molasses, vanilla, bourbon, coffee, roast fig and wood. Huge depth with a warming balanced finish.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.89/5  rDev -6.7%

Big thanks to starrdogg for sharing this at last night's tasting. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours black with a small head and some sparse lacing. The nose carries moderate smoke and a good bit of chocolate. Roast comes through in the background. The flavor has the same smoke character along with a roasted malt and chocolate background. Medium-full body and quite hot. Not a super nebula sort of beer, but pretty good. (424 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into Block 15 Tulip @ Block 15 1 day after release

A - Pours an opaque black w/ 1 finger brown head that fades to a thick cap, leaves great lacing, mesmerizing brew.

S - Smells of chocolate, vanilla, coconut, cherries, coffee, oak, caramel.

T - Taste follows the nose, bitter chocolate, vanilla, coffee, cherries, oak, toffee, apples

M - Big, rich, full body, sweet but not cloying, spicy finish that is quite warming, but not at all hot, slightly bitter in the end

O - Very well done. Rich & complex, bourbon and imp stout very balanced, neither one out does the other, too drinkable, wish they still had bottles to take home and age. (647 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had a sample during a recent trip to Block 15.

Pours a beautiful dark brown with a thin, tan lacing head.

Smells amazing. Strong coffee at the nose with roasted malt, molasses, vanilla and chocolate. Small amount of hops come through, slight hints of boozy whiskey flavors as well.

Tastes like coffee with slight booze. Lots of malt flavor but mostly burnt malt, coffee and a small amount of chocolate. Very sweet.

The mouthfeel is thick from sweetness, but come on. It's 11%. For how strong it is, this stuff is very well balanced. It's very easy to finish a pint or a bottle of this stuff.

Overall one of the best imperial stouts I have ever had. And that's saying a lot. (680 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft version served at the Wildwood beer dinner. After a full meal and 6 previous beers, this beer still asserted itself and impressed most of us at the beer dinner.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with considerable lacing and impressive head retention. On the nose, I get considerable dark chocolate, coffee, licorice, tobacco and vanilla. The flavor profile replicates the nose, with the licorice and dark chocolate clearly dominating. There's more than enough going on in this beer so that one is not overwhelmed by the sweetness and considerable alcohol. On the finish, I pick up some bourbon, along with some light bitterness which helps to counter the sweetness. The bitterness dries out the sweetness on the finish in this very full, very smooth and long RIS. Alcohol is noticeable, but is not at all intrusive in this fine stout.

Very impressive RIS from the folks at Block 15.

From 2/18/13. Sampled again at the recent Hop and Vine release event, and if anything, the current version is superior to what I sampled previously. The beer just seems richer and more decadent, and there seemed to be a lot more bourbon on the nose and palate this time around (a good thing in my book). This is a really fine beer, competing now with some of the better stouts made (Dark Lord, Kate, KBS, BCBS; yes, it REALLY IS that good!).

Just tried the current batch on draft at the brewpub (on 2/9/14), and if anything, it's even better than what I tried last year. SN would now get my vote for the best BA RIS made in the NW. I have adjusted my score accordingly. (1,567 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Recently on a trip to Corvallis I was lucky enough to be able to head into Block 15 and try this on tap. Was served in a Block 15 snifter.

S: The nose contains a nice bit of dark chocolate with small bourbon and vanilla notes, along with a nice roast character.

A: It had a beautiful tannish, bourbon barrel, colored foam. It had a smooth mouth feel which coated the mouth and allowed for the flavor to open up as it went down the back of the throat.

T: This beer was probably one of the best BA Stouts I have ever had. Everything came together perfectly, nothing was overshadowed each flavor was allowed to come out on their own. With the first sip you get a really nice bourbon vanilla, and as it is rushing to the back of the mouth a rich dark chocolate roast is coming out from the Cacao Nibs. The malt gives a rich coffee like roast as well.

Overall, I really love the careful attention to detail in the barrel aging it shows the experience of this upcoming brewery. It is unfortunate I cannot take a growler home with me but I am hoping this will be bottle in the future, because I would sign up for a full case right now. I dont believe this one should be aged it is amazing now, but with age I believe more of the vanilla bourbon character will come out and lose the rich dark chocolate roast rich compliments it. By far the best BA Stout I have had to date. (1,373 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled at Block 15 night at Hop & Vine in Portland Oregon. A snifter with 10 ounces of barrel aged stout in it for $4? Sounds like a deal to me.

A: Very dark brown with lighter tan edges. Upon being served, a thin amount of cappuccino foam sat atop a quickly bubbled away to a very thin wisp ring.

S: Strong coffee aromas when it was very cold, much stronger essences of spicy bourbon with under-currents of fudge brownie came through as it warmed. Damn their -bals are nice.

T: Again with the strong coffee when cold but transitioning to some stronger caramel liquor, berry, and cocoa notes when it warmed. I swear there is only about a 2 degree window when some smoke is detectable. In that temperature range, this beer is sublime.

M: Low carbonation and full mouthfeel here. Right inside my personal wheel house.

D: My first experience with Block 15 beers tonight and I must say, this was the only one I found to be impressive. I will be paying close attention to this brewery from now on but only because of this singular, highly memorable beer. Well done guys. Bottle this soon! (1,094 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer had a thin, light, milk chocolate head right after it was poured. By the time I noticed I was half way through, the head was gone. After I took my first sip, I was pleasantly surprised. I tasted coffee with chocolate fudge chunk flavored ice cream, a true woman's delight. After it had warmed, it tasted more like a 50/50 or Parabola, which is also quite pleasing. Overall, I enjoyed this beer from beginning to end. I was pleasantly surprised with every sip. Get you some! (483 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

Big thanks to BA Reino at Corvallis Brewing Supply for helping me acquire a growler of this tasty brew on my last trip up to Oregon.

A - Opaque black. Poured from a growler into a Delerium tulip. Little to no head at all, khaki in color with no lacing. Nice viscous drips down the side of the glass.

S - Bourbon, coffee and bitter chocolate up front (a pleasant, recurring theme with this beer). Big oaky and boozy notes. Sugary sweet smell, dark sugars.

T - Coffee and bourbon on the front pallet. Dry bitter chocolate and coffee residue on the mid and back. The bitter chocolate finds its way throughout, giving the beer a nice well-rounded smoothness with a sharp crispness that is very welcomed.

M - Perfect. Low carbonation and high viscosity. Super Nebula goes down with a nice warming sensation throughout.

D - I'd enjoy this beer over and over if I could. Again, big thanks to Block 15 and Reino for making this happen. This makes a great night cap, winter warmer, or a mid-day spring brew. (1,003 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -23%

Had this on tap at the anniversary of Bailey's Taproom in summer of 2009. The colour was very dark brown with a very thin tan edge. The aroma was kind of a musty brown sugar with hops as well. On the palate there was scads and scads of hops that were a bit overwhelming for me ( and I'm a bit of a hop head). It's as though there wasn't anything else to balance the hops. Odd. (376 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

Chocolate bomb!

Reminds me of Rogue's RIS before their consistency went out the window. I wonder if this is the one John Maier drinks when he's in town.

Lace oak-groves.

Bourbon? Cinnamon? Imagination.

Needs just a touch more bitterness to keep the package from dipping into glycemia.

Very good, and just the tip of the promise-iceberg that is B15. (364 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last