Bucanero Fuerte - Cerveceria Bucanero S.A.

Bucanero FuerteBucanero Fuerte

poor

Cerveceria Bucanero S.A. visit their website
Cuba

American Adjunct Lager |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Imbiber on 07-16-2004)
1.6/5  rDev -41.4%

Had lots of this beer on tap the most recent trip to Cuba. The beer was extremely overcarbonated every time, you would take a few sips then have bad gas. The beer was so light it hardly had any taste. It reminded me of a can of pabst blue ribbon that had been rolling around under your car seat for 6 months and then you find it and drink it. There was always no head, unless it was from a freshly cracked keg. Overall very poor. The worst beer I have drank to date.

1.7/5  rDev -37.7%

I just got back from Cuba and having had the bottle, can and on-tap version of this beer, I opted to go with the on-tap as it would seem to be the most charitable (and resort available) medium for this beer. Here's from my notes

Appearance: The body is a deep gold which is nice, and despite pouring with minimal head, it still managed to retain well enough. Not much in the way of lacing though.

Smell: Has a slight raw sugar scent to it, but it's buried beneath a very muddy smell that I don't think is being caused solely by hops. It's however mild enough to not be offensive.

Taste: It starts with a slight sweet sugar and rough grain taste that immediately makes a vicious turn into an excessively bitter taste that is somewhere between mud and wet sand. This taste just keeps pressing on until it's down.

Mouthfeel: Well the carbonation is decent and accentuates every part of the beer, making it a bit of a double edged sword in this case. The transitioning is terrible, but the lack of aftertaste is what saves this one.

Drinkability: By no stretch of the imagination would I call this beer smooth. It starts out rough and quickly turns vicious and does not sit down well. There were a couple times my stomach was beginning to reject it. The only salvation likes in the fact it somehow manages to refreshingly quench your thirst.

Final Thoughts: This beer was awful and wore out it's welcome after the third cup, but somehow I ended up drinking a lot more then I wanted to. Either being handed a cup in the pool, the lobby or a can on the balcony. I switched to Rum fairly quickly. I ended up buying a bottle at the airport because I wanted the bottle cap and it fared no better. A word of advice, stick to Cristal or Rum when in Cuba. Even though it's apparently the "Lady's" beer of Cuba and Bucanero the "Man's" beer (due to the ABV) I enjoyed it far more then this stuff.

1.8/5  rDev -34.1%

350ml bottle 5,4% Abv.
Served chilled.

Appearance: Clear, light golden body. Small white head that dissipates really quickly and leaves not lace.

Smell: Ah, the joys of shitty lager. Sweet, corn starch, metallic, stale malt and cooked vegetables.

Taste: As with the smell, sweet corn, stale malt and metallic.

Mouthfeel: Light, watery and massive carbonation.

Overall: Pretty much what I expected. Another horrid macro...

Tap: Poured a golden color beer with a medium foamy head that disappeared a bit too quickly. Aroma is quite weak with only some malt being noticeable. Taste is quite sweet withy slight watery finish. Overall, this is better then most Caribean lager out there.

2.17/5  rDev -20.5%

a: This was a clear, extremely pale golden color. It poured with a short lived fizzy head.

s: One of the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle is sugar. I found that and little else in the aroma. Maybe a bit of pale malt, but that might be wishful thinking.

t: Sweet overall. Lots of corn syrup with maybe a little honey thrown in. I can't really discern any malts or hops.

m: Wet and fizzy.

o: Its not all that bad I suppose, but I wouldn't ever get another. I just wanted to experience the novelty of a Cuban beer while I had the chance.

2.18/5  rDev -20.1%

Light brownish gold in color, clear body, insubstantial white head with no lacing or legs. Nothing to see here…the aroma is full of DMS, light fruit and a lovely cornstarch note.

Grainy with a hint of breadiness, pale fruit but nothing interesting, slightly metallic. Thin with a carbonated finish. Nothing interesting whatsoever, but I enjoyed it with some moros y cristianos at a Cuban joint in Mexico. The authentic flavor of a crappy domestic!

350ml bottle poured into pint glass 29/8/12

A clear light copper with lots of tiny bubbles feeding a two finger bone white foam that hangs around for a few minuets leaving a few partial rings of lace

S soap, purple candy, and a chemical thing that leaves something too be desired

T a little sweet caramel malt and faint citrus helps its cause a little compared too the smell but its not nearly enough too salvage this one, soapy chemical flavors hard too enjoy

M medium bodied with good carbonation, perhaps a highlight for this ones a average mouth-feel

O nothing I´d want too drink again, tastes and smells pretty lousy, I finished it but only because I´m quite thirsty

so I´m guessing the beers no better in Cuba then Mexico, a Country tic but that´s about it

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%

BB 04/06/10. Pale yellow, a flash of light auburn, fizzy white head quickly shrinks to a wispy surface. Very low to almost no carbonation observed. Lace made a speedy exit but a ring stuck around. Smell is feint, corn adjuncts is my guess. Taste follows suit, macro adjunct lager, corn, sweet with a syrupy mouthfeel. This beer has an artificial presence that I didn't find with the Cristal, also more gassy than the Cristal. Glad I tried it, you might also find one is enough. Thanks again to biegaman for bringing this from Cuba for me, much appreciated.

2.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Sitting in a bar in Mexico that actually has decent beer but I spotted bar signage for this and I had to try it. So while I know you shouldn't downgrade a beer because of personal likes I am being very realistic with this because its keeping me from a London Porter or a St Pete's cream stout.

The appearance is the best part of this event, it pours with a full head and a robust golden color. The smell though is reminiscent of a bar the morning after a college beer pong event and the taste is very syrupy after the initial burst of carbonation. Other reviewers said that they have sugar in the ingredients but I didn't see it on the bottle, but then again it is in Spanish. As a Fuerte the mouthfeel isn't as thin as most Island beers but this really just means it has no drinkability even on a hot summer day. All in all it makes me think fondly of Gennesse cream ale!

The bar by the way is Kings pub in Polanco in Mexico city (there are 3 other locations)and it has a very good bottle list. Mostly English but they won back this Irish guy with a Slainte over the bar!

2.33/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big WOW for Doc’s first Cuban beer: Bucanero Fuerte. I have a sense that it will taste absolutely rank however I am hoping for a Mojito-like experience... “hoping” being the key word. Let’s look at some of the shit beer warning signs that can appear on a label: Sugar is an ingredient (unless your beer was brewed in Belgium this is a bad sign), there is a pirate on the label (again if your beer is called “Piraat” and brewed in Belgium you are safe), there are medals on the label you’ve never heard of and probably don’t exist... pray for me reader.

Poured from an odd 350ml into a pokal.

A: Clear golden body with a half centimetre white head, this was hard-poured too, just fizzled away to a thin blanket thank-you-very-much Bucanero (which sounds like a new SUV model btw). 6/10.

S: So much like Corona it isn’t funny, no really - it’s not funny. Corn husk followed by stewed cabbage and white bread. With an added hint of Cuban dark rum. Obviously this a brew that would benefit from a lime wedge being stuffed in the bottle, not a good aroma at all. 3/10.

T: The flavour really peels everything back and it isn’t quite as bad as expected. Yes it is another corn derivative Adjunct Lager but it’s light on the skunk and I imagine if it was colder, like around -4 Celsius, it would be a refreshing summer beer. The citric and bread notes give it a Euro Pale Lager dimension too. 5/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a light carbonation. 5/10.

D: Look it’s not dreadful (which is big praise for almost any Central American brew), but by another token I won’t be asking Santa to fill my stocking with this, and will be disappointed if Santa decides to do so (bad Santa!). It’s around the below average mark, and it is definitely one of those “sitting-on-the-beach-with-an-ice-cold-one-of-these” beers. No more, no less. 5/10.

Food match: Cuban food is what I imagine this would go with. I’ve never had Cuban food. I don’t know what Cuban food is. I imagine Cuban food to involve cigars and Mojitos somehow.

2.36/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

350ml (swuh?) brown bottle, which is a faint ray of hope in an otherwise low, low sea of expectations.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden yellow colour, with one fat finger of weakly foamy, and mostly just wanly bubbly dirty white head, which leaves little in the way of lace anywhere near the glass as it quickly blows off.

It smells of gritty, grainy corn malt, rice husks, indistinct (yeah, that's the problem) stewed veggies, subtle nail polish remover, and a hint of actually rummy alcohol (the cheap, pirate-friendly stuff, natch). The taste is more of the same stripe - ungainly corn and rice cracker graininess, understated, at least, stale green vegetables, a consistent acetone astringency, soapy caramel, and a surprisingly bland boozy warmth.

The carbonation is a bit tacky in its blithely frothy manifestations, the body an adequate medium weight for the style, with the attendant clammy and pithy boxes duly checked. It finishes off-dry, the stale corn bread and rice cakes keepin' things real, senor!

Plain and as lacking in enjoyment as one might have guessed this to be - perhaps the name should have given it away: it's really just a stronger (sort of) version of Cristal, which is no big draw, IMHO. If it takes near-freezing temperatures or a lime/lemon/pineapple wedge to make this drinkable, then I suppose I should be looking elsewhere for my fix.

2.38/5  rDev -12.8%

rates with the worth of them. Deep yellow with chemical cleaner bubbles. A little cheese and chemical aroma. Sharp taste, almost no drinkability. Some malts, nothing else to ingest. Thanks Radek for the mixed six-pack.Sugar, rice. Light after the astringency.

2.42/5  rDev -11.4%

[Eyes] Brown bottle, Pale gold color, , average midium foamy head and carbonation.
[Nouse] Cereal... nothing much else. Some hop, sweet.
[Mouth] medium body,a slight metallic tang in the finish low Carbonation,

Not memorable but better than other worse Mexican "lagers" over here Is Fresh and good for a hot day!

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From a can on the beach in cuba, wanted to like this one but was disappointed. Poured a fluffy two finger head that was short lived, some lacing, light amber color.

Smell was a grainy corn with a funky stale bread and some pale fruit.

Taste followed the nose.

Slightly bitter this was light bodied with lots of carbonation, not entirely smooth or refreshing.

A disappointing brew.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Can brought back from my Mother on a recent trip to Cuba. This Cuban gem pours a pale yellow and is topped with a frothy, but short lived white foam. Nose of corn and sugars, some grass and a bit of honey. Tastes initially sweet of malts and some adjunct, almost syrupy, leading to a bit of grassy hops and melon frutiness. Finishes a bit heavy, but overall better than expected.

2.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bucanero Fuerte is made in the province of Holguin in the Eastern end of Cuba. Three and a half years ago I was married in that province, and Bucanero Fuerte was available everywhere. A few months later we were in Havana, eating rice and beans and knocking back cold mugs of Fuerte to alleviate the crushing heat. Tonight, the oven is blasting away, sterilising jars, and I'm making raspberry jam at the stove. Marriage does this to a man. Bucanero Fuerte is at my side, like a loyal friend. Macro lager in appearance, with its pale, crystal clear body and minimal head, there is now way you could call this beer a beauty, yet its redeemed by being merely average when compared to its rivals. The can reads, water, hops, malted barley and sugar, the last of which makes itself more than apparent in a sickly sweet, adjunct laden aroma. The flavour (sometimes I feel I insult the word) is corn syrup over some pale malts with a touch of honey and the lightest kiss of hops in the finish. For a few moment I think its undrinkable, but then I recall how bad bars sell bad beer, and I thre my glass in the freezer for ten minutes. Thank God it dials down the sweetness a touch. The only quality I truly like is the slight warming feel the beer gives, almost like a ginger beer, and this belies its ABV (this isn't fuerte for a craft drinker). The body is light and on the fizzy side, but not as bad as I';ve seen or heard of in this category. Definitely a beer for the Carribean sun, and not for the discerning BA.

I still have fond memories of Bucanero Fuerte. It may be a truly awful beer, but in the heat of the Havana sun with a Cuban band playing in the background it fit the moment.

Thanks to biegaman for allowing me to relive a few memories.

2.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz can brought back from Cuba for me by my buddy Tyler

Appearance - Clear gold colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for 2-3 minutes.

Smell - Breads/grains, corn, alcohol

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste corn mixed with some bread and grains. There is also some light hops and a light metallic flavour and a bit of a alcohol harshness. It ends with a grainy/corn aftertaste.

Overall - When I first opened the beer and it was cold, it was much better than when it got to room temperature. When warmer I could really pick up on the cooked vegetable/corn flavour. Regardless, I could still down a few of these ice cold while on the beach.

2.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Can. Sampled at a resort in Varadero, Cuba. Medium gold in color with lots of carbonation. Unmistakable malty aroma of unfermented wort which no homebrewer could mistake, along with a touch of herbal hops. Somewhat more robust than the other Cuban lagers that I sampled, but still a little on the thin and astringent side. Slight mineral flavor, along with a bit of malt and more German noble hops. Sort of like a poorly made Warsteiner.

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Had this in a "chinese restaurant" in Cuba. Lovely little garden patio, except for the aphids dropping in on us...

A - Clear gold with a copious but loose head. Not a lot of staying power.

S - Some grain, but mostly just metallic smelling. A touch of maltiness maybe.

T - Bland, somewhat soapy and a bit too sweet. A mild hop presence is the only saving grace here.

M - Light. Fizzy.

D - Pretty boring, but I can't say I expected any better. Maybe an average macro.

Bucanero Fuerte from Cerveceria Bucanero S.A.