Bucanero Fuerte - Cerveceria Bucanero S.A.

Bucanero FuerteBucanero Fuerte

poor

Cerveceria Bucanero S.A. visit their website
Cuba

American Adjunct Lager |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Imbiber on 07-16-2004)
2.38/5  rDev -12.2%

rates with the worth of them. Deep yellow with chemical cleaner bubbles. A little cheese and chemical aroma. Sharp taste, almost no drinkability. Some malts, nothing else to ingest. Thanks Radek for the mixed six-pack.Sugar, rice. Light after the astringency.

Sammy, Jul 15, 2012
3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and poured with a finger high white head. A very light of carbonation is visible from the rising bubbles.
S: There are moderate aromas of grainy and sweet malts in the nose.
T: The taste is rather malty and has flavors of bready and grainy malts.
M: The beer feels light- to medium- bodied and very smooth on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It has a fuller body compared to other beers in the style.
D: The beer is very easy to drink and has some qualities that make it refreshing.

metter98, Dec 09, 2010

Tap: Poured a golden color beer with a medium foamy head that disappeared a bit too quickly. Aroma is quite weak with only some malt being noticeable. Taste is quite sweet withy slight watery finish. Overall, this is better then most Caribean lager out there.

Phyl21ca, Jan 11, 2005

BillRoth, Dec 07, 2013
2.8/5  rDev +3.3%

On-tap in Varadero, Cuba.

Sweet yellow corn - how appropriate - with outstanding transparency. Bucanero Fuerte appears irreproachably clean although that is, it should be said, very typical for adjunct lagers. Honestly, I'd say the condensation occurring on the glass is about the only thing making this look the least bit desirable. It seems to have fewer bubbles than most, which is curious given its head scales pretty high up the glass.

I don't consider this to smell like high-fructose corn syrup, I consider it to smell like ultra sky-high fructose corn syrup. It is sweet like soda pop, showing every bit as much glucose and fructose (but no signs of malt or hops). To many - it troubles me too much to admit 'most' - this may smell like nothing at all (perhaps because glucose-fructose has pervaded so much of our food) but to me it simply smells bad.

The taste and texture both strongly resemble corn syrup as well (if you haven't clued in by now, the "adjunct" in "adjunct lagers" generally stands for corn). An untrained palate might detect no taste at all where as a trained one should detect nothing but the taste of corn syrup. The texture is sticky sweet, stale and starchy. About average for the style, just be sure its temperature is close to 0 before starting to drink it.

Cuba has lots of culture; its beer does not. As popular as beer is with Cubans (it and rum really being their only options) none of the offerings proportionately represent the culture of the island. The beers are bland, without character or story - quite unlike the people. Actually, it is funny to think that for all their differences - ideology, language, history - Cuba's national beers taste just like the American ones.

biegaman, Jul 09, 2009

Latarnik, Jul 05, 2014

dmorgan310, Dec 27, 2013

350ml bottle poured into pint glass 29/8/12

A clear light copper with lots of tiny bubbles feeding a two finger bone white foam that hangs around for a few minuets leaving a few partial rings of lace

S soap, purple candy, and a chemical thing that leaves something too be desired

T a little sweet caramel malt and faint citrus helps its cause a little compared too the smell but its not nearly enough too salvage this one, soapy chemical flavors hard too enjoy

M medium bodied with good carbonation, perhaps a highlight for this ones a average mouth-feel

O nothing I´d want too drink again, tastes and smells pretty lousy, I finished it but only because I´m quite thirsty

so I´m guessing the beers no better in Cuba then Mexico, a Country tic but that´s about it

wordemupg, Aug 30, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -5.9%

12oz can brought back from Cuba for me by my buddy Tyler

Appearance - Clear gold colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for 2-3 minutes.

Smell - Breads/grains, corn, alcohol

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste corn mixed with some bread and grains. There is also some light hops and a light metallic flavour and a bit of a alcohol harshness. It ends with a grainy/corn aftertaste.

Overall - When I first opened the beer and it was cold, it was much better than when it got to room temperature. When warmer I could really pick up on the cooked vegetable/corn flavour. Regardless, I could still down a few of these ice cold while on the beach.

spinrsx, Feb 11, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +36.5%

350 mL brown bottle, capped.

This lager smelled of bready malt with a mild, but pleasant, sweet aroma. The appearance was clear and golden with white foam that settled quickly. There was no apparent stream of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. The taste was dry and biscuity malt with a fairly decent hoppiness. There was a touch of sweetness. The aroma hops came out in the finish. The mouthfeel was dry and crisp with medium-light body and low carbonation feel. The aftertaste was dominated by bready malt and aromatic hops. Not a bad beer, actually. I was pleasantly surprised.

UncleJimbo, Jul 08, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -6.6%

Bucanero Fuerte is made in the province of Holguin in the Eastern end of Cuba. Three and a half years ago I was married in that province, and Bucanero Fuerte was available everywhere. A few months later we were in Havana, eating rice and beans and knocking back cold mugs of Fuerte to alleviate the crushing heat. Tonight, the oven is blasting away, sterilising jars, and I'm making raspberry jam at the stove. Marriage does this to a man. Bucanero Fuerte is at my side, like a loyal friend. Macro lager in appearance, with its pale, crystal clear body and minimal head, there is now way you could call this beer a beauty, yet its redeemed by being merely average when compared to its rivals. The can reads, water, hops, malted barley and sugar, the last of which makes itself more than apparent in a sickly sweet, adjunct laden aroma. The flavour (sometimes I feel I insult the word) is corn syrup over some pale malts with a touch of honey and the lightest kiss of hops in the finish. For a few moment I think its undrinkable, but then I recall how bad bars sell bad beer, and I thre my glass in the freezer for ten minutes. Thank God it dials down the sweetness a touch. The only quality I truly like is the slight warming feel the beer gives, almost like a ginger beer, and this belies its ABV (this isn't fuerte for a craft drinker). The body is light and on the fizzy side, but not as bad as I';ve seen or heard of in this category. Definitely a beer for the Carribean sun, and not for the discerning BA.

I still have fond memories of Bucanero Fuerte. It may be a truly awful beer, but in the heat of the Havana sun with a Cuban band playing in the background it fit the moment.

Thanks to biegaman for allowing me to relive a few memories.

bobsy, Jul 21, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -19.9%

a: This was a clear, extremely pale golden color. It poured with a short lived fizzy head.

s: One of the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle is sugar. I found that and little else in the aroma. Maybe a bit of pale malt, but that might be wishful thinking.

t: Sweet overall. Lots of corn syrup with maybe a little honey thrown in. I can't really discern any malts or hops.

m: Wet and fizzy.

o: Its not all that bad I suppose, but I wouldn't ever get another. I just wanted to experience the novelty of a Cuban beer while I had the chance.

DIM, Jun 08, 2011
2.18/5  rDev -19.6%

Light brownish gold in color, clear body, insubstantial white head with no lacing or legs. Nothing to see here…the aroma is full of DMS, light fruit and a lovely cornstarch note.

Grainy with a hint of breadiness, pale fruit but nothing interesting, slightly metallic. Thin with a carbonated finish. Nothing interesting whatsoever, but I enjoyed it with some moros y cristianos at a Cuban joint in Mexico. The authentic flavor of a crappy domestic!

BretSikkink, Apr 23, 2012

cfalovo97, Nov 11, 2012

papat444, Jan 15, 2013
2.65/5  rDev -2.2%

Had this in a "chinese restaurant" in Cuba. Lovely little garden patio, except for the aphids dropping in on us...

A - Clear gold with a copious but loose head. Not a lot of staying power.

S - Some grain, but mostly just metallic smelling. A touch of maltiness maybe.

T - Bland, somewhat soapy and a bit too sweet. A mild hop presence is the only saving grace here.

M - Light. Fizzy.

D - Pretty boring, but I can't say I expected any better. Maybe an average macro.

allergictomacros, May 16, 2007
3.08/5  rDev +13.7%

A medium golden colour, very clear. Had a finger of off-white head, but that faded to a thin cap and ring around the glass.

The only smell I can really pick up is a mild corn sweetness. Does not bode well....

A mildly sweet corn taste from front to back in this one. Very very faint hint of spicy hops in the very end. It isn't offensive in any way, I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised.

This one is a little fuller in mouthfeel than other lagers from hot countries. Still light and somewhat fizzy, but better than many I've had.

My choice so far, if I was in Cuba.

elricorico, Jan 09, 2007

ThinkAgain, Apr 11, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Can brought back from my Mother on a recent trip to Cuba. This Cuban gem pours a pale yellow and is topped with a frothy, but short lived white foam. Nose of corn and sugars, some grass and a bit of honey. Tastes initially sweet of malts and some adjunct, almost syrupy, leading to a bit of grassy hops and melon frutiness. Finishes a bit heavy, but overall better than expected.

mrmanning, Aug 03, 2009

TheBeeraholic, Jun 15, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -33.6%

350ml bottle 5,4% Abv.
Served chilled.

Appearance: Clear, light golden body. Small white head that dissipates really quickly and leaves not lace.

Smell: Ah, the joys of shitty lager. Sweet, corn starch, metallic, stale malt and cooked vegetables.

Taste: As with the smell, sweet corn, stale malt and metallic.

Mouthfeel: Light, watery and massive carbonation.

Overall: Pretty much what I expected. Another horrid macro...

Thehuntmaster, Aug 11, 2011

cam477, Sep 29, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -17%

BB 04/06/10. Pale yellow, a flash of light auburn, fizzy white head quickly shrinks to a wispy surface. Very low to almost no carbonation observed. Lace made a speedy exit but a ring stuck around. Smell is feint, corn adjuncts is my guess. Taste follows suit, macro adjunct lager, corn, sweet with a syrupy mouthfeel. This beer has an artificial presence that I didn't find with the Cristal, also more gassy than the Cristal. Glad I tried it, you might also find one is enough. Thanks again to biegaman for bringing this from Cuba for me, much appreciated.

ThatWineGuy, Jul 07, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -37.3%

I just got back from Cuba and having had the bottle, can and on-tap version of this beer, I opted to go with the on-tap as it would seem to be the most charitable (and resort available) medium for this beer. Here's from my notes

Appearance: The body is a deep gold which is nice, and despite pouring with minimal head, it still managed to retain well enough. Not much in the way of lacing though.

Smell: Has a slight raw sugar scent to it, but it's buried beneath a very muddy smell that I don't think is being caused solely by hops. It's however mild enough to not be offensive.

Taste: It starts with a slight sweet sugar and rough grain taste that immediately makes a vicious turn into an excessively bitter taste that is somewhere between mud and wet sand. This taste just keeps pressing on until it's down.

Mouthfeel: Well the carbonation is decent and accentuates every part of the beer, making it a bit of a double edged sword in this case. The transitioning is terrible, but the lack of aftertaste is what saves this one.

Drinkability: By no stretch of the imagination would I call this beer smooth. It starts out rough and quickly turns vicious and does not sit down well. There were a couple times my stomach was beginning to reject it. The only salvation likes in the fact it somehow manages to refreshingly quench your thirst.

Final Thoughts: This beer was awful and wore out it's welcome after the third cup, but somehow I ended up drinking a lot more then I wanted to. Either being handed a cup in the pool, the lobby or a can on the balcony. I switched to Rum fairly quickly. I ended up buying a bottle at the airport because I wanted the bottle cap and it fared no better. A word of advice, stick to Cristal or Rum when in Cuba. Even though it's apparently the "Lady's" beer of Cuba and Bucanero the "Man's" beer (due to the ABV) I enjoyed it far more then this stuff.

TheHammer, May 06, 2012
Bucanero Fuerte from Cerveceria Bucanero S.A.