Bucanero Fuerte - Cerveceria Bucanero S.A.

Bucanero FuerteBucanero Fuerte

poor

Cerveceria Bucanero S.A. visit their website
Cuba

American Adjunct Lager |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Imbiber on 07-16-2004)
2.25/5  rDev -17%

Wordslinger, May 05, 2012
2.18/5  rDev -19.6%

Light brownish gold in color, clear body, insubstantial white head with no lacing or legs. Nothing to see here…the aroma is full of DMS, light fruit and a lovely cornstarch note.

Grainy with a hint of breadiness, pale fruit but nothing interesting, slightly metallic. Thin with a carbonated finish. Nothing interesting whatsoever, but I enjoyed it with some moros y cristianos at a Cuban joint in Mexico. The authentic flavor of a crappy domestic!

BretSikkink, Apr 23, 2012
2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

ThinkAgain, Apr 11, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

From a can on the beach in cuba, wanted to like this one but was disappointed. Poured a fluffy two finger head that was short lived, some lacing, light amber color.

Smell was a grainy corn with a funky stale bread and some pale fruit.

Taste followed the nose.

Slightly bitter this was light bodied with lots of carbonation, not entirely smooth or refreshing.

A disappointing brew.

Stocean1, Feb 17, 2012
1.8/5  rDev -33.6%

350ml bottle 5,4% Abv.
Served chilled.

Appearance: Clear, light golden body. Small white head that dissipates really quickly and leaves not lace.

Smell: Ah, the joys of shitty lager. Sweet, corn starch, metallic, stale malt and cooked vegetables.

Taste: As with the smell, sweet corn, stale malt and metallic.

Mouthfeel: Light, watery and massive carbonation.

Overall: Pretty much what I expected. Another horrid macro...

Thehuntmaster, Aug 11, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -19.9%

a: This was a clear, extremely pale golden color. It poured with a short lived fizzy head.

s: One of the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle is sugar. I found that and little else in the aroma. Maybe a bit of pale malt, but that might be wishful thinking.

t: Sweet overall. Lots of corn syrup with maybe a little honey thrown in. I can't really discern any malts or hops.

m: Wet and fizzy.

o: Its not all that bad I suppose, but I wouldn't ever get another. I just wanted to experience the novelty of a Cuban beer while I had the chance.

DIM, Jun 08, 2011

A- deep gold yellow color with fast off white head and pretty big carbonation... boring.

S-Very sweet and malty. Obvious barley and fruityness with a little hops.

T- Again, sweet with toasted malt. Just a little bitterness, not strong enough. A little burnt and some ethanol. Not too bad but nothing to stand out or make it unique.

M- Medium bodied with big carbonation and a very clean feel.

D- Easy, I'd have another.

cambabeer, May 11, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and poured with a finger high white head. A very light of carbonation is visible from the rising bubbles.
S: There are moderate aromas of grainy and sweet malts in the nose.
T: The taste is rather malty and has flavors of bready and grainy malts.
M: The beer feels light- to medium- bodied and very smooth on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It has a fuller body compared to other beers in the style.
D: The beer is very easy to drink and has some qualities that make it refreshing.

metter98, Dec 09, 2010
2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

A - low less than one finger of loose fizzy head. Clings to the side like bubbles of fish breath. Pale amber color sammon apple vinegar. Fizzy but without head.

S - vague sweet sour apple cigar vinegar. Bits of brown sugar. But mostly adjunt malts. Presumably cane sugar unclear. Label lists ingredients as barley malt and hop.

T - weak maltyness sweet bland. Smooth enough no off flavors. Also no hop or yeast.

M - fizzy soda like light bodied. Fine for a lager

D - Very proletariat but much better than I expected. Very simple too simple sadly. A fine beer for the masses but never going to win an award.

jeranbrews, Nov 11, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Pale yellow translucent color with a small head almost white color.

S: Vague barley aroma some cereal bread smell.

T: Malty taste with a little sweetness and little hop bitterness.

M: Refreshing tasting but really light body with almost no ending.

karait95, Aug 09, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Reviewed based on memory as have had countless times in Cuba.

Appearance: Standard macro golden straw color. Thin bone white head, leaves a bit of lace, more some if on tap.

Aroma: Sweet, corny & grainy.

Taste: The same sweet & grainy. This one is stronger than it's sister, Cristal as it's had sugar added in the brewing process.

Mouthfeel: Light and heavily carbonated.

Final Statement: At first I preferred this over Cristal while in Cuba. But this really grew tiring. It is what it is. Would I drink it in Canada? No. Would I rather have something else in Cuba? Yes. But is it ruining my experience on the beautiful island? No.

MMansfield, Jul 07, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -15.9%

Sitting in a bar in Mexico that actually has decent beer but I spotted bar signage for this and I had to try it. So while I know you shouldn't downgrade a beer because of personal likes I am being very realistic with this because its keeping me from a London Porter or a St Pete's cream stout.

The appearance is the best part of this event, it pours with a full head and a robust golden color. The smell though is reminiscent of a bar the morning after a college beer pong event and the taste is very syrupy after the initial burst of carbonation. Other reviewers said that they have sugar in the ingredients but I didn't see it on the bottle, but then again it is in Spanish. As a Fuerte the mouthfeel isn't as thin as most Island beers but this really just means it has no drinkability even on a hot summer day. All in all it makes me think fondly of Gennesse cream ale!

The bar by the way is Kings pub in Polanco in Mexico city (there are 3 other locations)and it has a very good bottle list. Mostly English but they won back this Irish guy with a Slainte over the bar!

cilldalua, Jan 27, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Can brought back from my Mother on a recent trip to Cuba. This Cuban gem pours a pale yellow and is topped with a frothy, but short lived white foam. Nose of corn and sugars, some grass and a bit of honey. Tastes initially sweet of malts and some adjunct, almost syrupy, leading to a bit of grassy hops and melon frutiness. Finishes a bit heavy, but overall better than expected.

mrmanning, Aug 03, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -6.6%

Bucanero Fuerte is made in the province of Holguin in the Eastern end of Cuba. Three and a half years ago I was married in that province, and Bucanero Fuerte was available everywhere. A few months later we were in Havana, eating rice and beans and knocking back cold mugs of Fuerte to alleviate the crushing heat. Tonight, the oven is blasting away, sterilising jars, and I'm making raspberry jam at the stove. Marriage does this to a man. Bucanero Fuerte is at my side, like a loyal friend. Macro lager in appearance, with its pale, crystal clear body and minimal head, there is now way you could call this beer a beauty, yet its redeemed by being merely average when compared to its rivals. The can reads, water, hops, malted barley and sugar, the last of which makes itself more than apparent in a sickly sweet, adjunct laden aroma. The flavour (sometimes I feel I insult the word) is corn syrup over some pale malts with a touch of honey and the lightest kiss of hops in the finish. For a few moment I think its undrinkable, but then I recall how bad bars sell bad beer, and I thre my glass in the freezer for ten minutes. Thank God it dials down the sweetness a touch. The only quality I truly like is the slight warming feel the beer gives, almost like a ginger beer, and this belies its ABV (this isn't fuerte for a craft drinker). The body is light and on the fizzy side, but not as bad as I';ve seen or heard of in this category. Definitely a beer for the Carribean sun, and not for the discerning BA.

I still have fond memories of Bucanero Fuerte. It may be a truly awful beer, but in the heat of the Havana sun with a Cuban band playing in the background it fit the moment.

Thanks to biegaman for allowing me to relive a few memories.

bobsy, Jul 21, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +3.3%

On-tap in Varadero, Cuba.

Sweet yellow corn - how appropriate - with outstanding transparency. Bucanero Fuerte appears irreproachably clean although that is, it should be said, very typical for adjunct lagers. Honestly, I'd say the condensation occurring on the glass is about the only thing making this look the least bit desirable. It seems to have fewer bubbles than most, which is curious given its head scales pretty high up the glass.

I don't consider this to smell like high-fructose corn syrup, I consider it to smell like ultra sky-high fructose corn syrup. It is sweet like soda pop, showing every bit as much glucose and fructose (but no signs of malt or hops). To many - it troubles me too much to admit 'most' - this may smell like nothing at all (perhaps because glucose-fructose has pervaded so much of our food) but to me it simply smells bad.

The taste and texture both strongly resemble corn syrup as well (if you haven't clued in by now, the "adjunct" in "adjunct lagers" generally stands for corn). An untrained palate might detect no taste at all where as a trained one should detect nothing but the taste of corn syrup. The texture is sticky sweet, stale and starchy. About average for the style, just be sure its temperature is close to 0 before starting to drink it.

Cuba has lots of culture; its beer does not. As popular as beer is with Cubans (it and rum really being their only options) none of the offerings proportionately represent the culture of the island. The beers are bland, without character or story - quite unlike the people. Actually, it is funny to think that for all their differences - ideology, language, history - Cuba's national beers taste just like the American ones.

biegaman, Jul 09, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -17%

BB 04/06/10. Pale yellow, a flash of light auburn, fizzy white head quickly shrinks to a wispy surface. Very low to almost no carbonation observed. Lace made a speedy exit but a ring stuck around. Smell is feint, corn adjuncts is my guess. Taste follows suit, macro adjunct lager, corn, sweet with a syrupy mouthfeel. This beer has an artificial presence that I didn't find with the Cristal, also more gassy than the Cristal. Glad I tried it, you might also find one is enough. Thanks again to biegaman for bringing this from Cuba for me, much appreciated.

ThatWineGuy, Jul 07, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

350mL bottle had at an international beer night in Japan.

For all the bad reviews, this beer is superior to the one I had immediately before, it, Schloss Eggenberger Hopfenkönig.

Not a complex beer by any standard, but this sample is a fresh, yellow lager without great head retention but a perfectly quaffable brew nonetheless. Hops are very mild but detectable as slightly piquant on the palate (no idea what kind of hops they are though). Slightly astringent, but with a satisfying thirst-quenching bitterness. Nose of cereals, but no adjuncts are immediately obvious.

Basically, a quaffable lager without fruitiness or bitterness, suitable for a hot climate where you don't want anything too rich. Not the best lager I've had, but since I've been living in Japan surrounded by egregious happoushuus, this is not bad at all. I'd go so far as to say I'd buy it if I found it in a store. Which I won't, not in southern Japan anyway!

Weizenmensch, Jun 27, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +32.8%

In the appearance, is an amber color, with a regular head of foam, have a buccaneer in the logo; the smell is sweet, some notes of Malt; the taste is rich, some essences of sugar and corn; the mouthfeel is bittersweet; the drinkability is ok, tasty with the food or alone. Thanks to my friend Miguel Caifanes I could tasted it.

roddwolff, Mar 29, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -10.7%

[Eyes] Brown bottle, Pale gold color, , average midium foamy head and carbonation.
[Nouse] Cereal... nothing much else. Some hop, sweet.
[Mouth] medium body,a slight metallic tang in the finish low Carbonation,

Not memorable but better than other worse Mexican "lagers" over here Is Fresh and good for a hot day!

gerardoluna, Sep 26, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -0.4%

Got this beer from a friend of mine who went to cuba.

Poured from a can into a glass with a crisp white head the disappered almost instanly. The color is weak as well, being a watery straw color. At this point I'm guessing its a cheap beer.

Smell is kind of weak, but it is sweet.

Taste is much better than I thought, with some caramel notes, but it does have a watery finish and it sits kind of heavy on your stomach.

Better than I thought but still not great. I would drink it again.

weissbierdrinker, Jul 13, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +36.5%

350 mL brown bottle, capped.

This lager smelled of bready malt with a mild, but pleasant, sweet aroma. The appearance was clear and golden with white foam that settled quickly. There was no apparent stream of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. The taste was dry and biscuity malt with a fairly decent hoppiness. There was a touch of sweetness. The aroma hops came out in the finish. The mouthfeel was dry and crisp with medium-light body and low carbonation feel. The aftertaste was dominated by bready malt and aromatic hops. Not a bad beer, actually. I was pleasantly surprised.

UncleJimbo, Jul 08, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -2.2%

Had this in a "chinese restaurant" in Cuba. Lovely little garden patio, except for the aphids dropping in on us...

A - Clear gold with a copious but loose head. Not a lot of staying power.

S - Some grain, but mostly just metallic smelling. A touch of maltiness maybe.

T - Bland, somewhat soapy and a bit too sweet. A mild hop presence is the only saving grace here.

M - Light. Fizzy.

D - Pretty boring, but I can't say I expected any better. Maybe an average macro.

allergictomacros, May 16, 2007
3.08/5  rDev +13.7%

A medium golden colour, very clear. Had a finger of off-white head, but that faded to a thin cap and ring around the glass.

The only smell I can really pick up is a mild corn sweetness. Does not bode well....

A mildly sweet corn taste from front to back in this one. Very very faint hint of spicy hops in the very end. It isn't offensive in any way, I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised.

This one is a little fuller in mouthfeel than other lagers from hot countries. Still light and somewhat fizzy, but better than many I've had.

My choice so far, if I was in Cuba.

elricorico, Jan 09, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -3%

Can. Sampled at a resort in Varadero, Cuba. Medium gold in color with lots of carbonation. Unmistakable malty aroma of unfermented wort which no homebrewer could mistake, along with a touch of herbal hops. Somewhat more robust than the other Cuban lagers that I sampled, but still a little on the thin and astringent side. Slight mineral flavor, along with a bit of malt and more German noble hops. Sort of like a poorly made Warsteiner.

fisherman34, Jan 23, 2006
3.2/5  rDev +18.1%

A great example of beer from the birthplace of rum, smell aromatic like brolied and crushed hops; taste robust, to malt flower, pure, great body; serve in a pint glass, try with most mexican food, in special seafood (ceviche and lobster) it heightens its flavor; 89% recommended.

tesguino, Oct 21, 2005
Bucanero Fuerte from Cerveceria Bucanero S.A.