Black Noddy Lager - Buckbean Brewing Company

Beer added by: beerphilosopher on 07-13-2008

to view more.
Ratings: 86 | Reviews: 74
1.94/5  rDev -41.2%

Out of a can this beer was dark brown/black color with two dingers of foamy, tan-colored head (black and tan anyone…). The retention was good and it left clumps of lacing. The aroma was… tainted. I smelled roasted malt and nuts but also a certain sourness that always alerts me to a beer gone bad. The flavors confirmed my suspicion; the beer was exposed to a foreign yeast or tainted somehow by oxygen because I tasted mostly the sourness of wild yeast with notes of roasted malt, licorice and nuts lingering behind that. The mouthfeel was overly frothy, the body medium and the carbonation too high. Not sure exactly what went wrong here, but I know it wasn’t right.

4.05/5  rDev +22.7%

I like sixteen ounce cans, or tall boys, and almost always pick up a sample of ones I haven't seen before, especially if I can snag a single. I'm not sure precisely why, I just do. Black Noddy pours a mostly jet black with little head. There are tiny glimmers of brown at the top and bottom but I'm content to call this "black". Nose is interesting, with roasted malt and a slight hint of dark fruit.

For me, a schwarzbier must have a smooth body and finish above all else, and this one does. The flavors are solid yet unspectacular but it glides down silk and easy, which is worth big points. Chocolate and licorice flavors help along the roasted and toasted. While not mind blowing, his is an extremely serviceable black lager. I can see this as a spring seasonal but would be happy to bang it back more or less year round.

3.89/5  rDev +17.9%

I poured this into my Aventinus glass because...well...I have one and I like any opportunity to use it. This is a schwarzbier, after all.

The head wasn't all that tall on this but it had decent retention and left nice lacing. "Black" Noddy is not accurate though. It's a "Dark Brown Noddy" if you ask me, but unless you pour into something with a narrow stem, like an Aventinus glass, you may not notice. In which case it will be close to black...as it is in the bowl of the Aventinus glass.

I immediately get some roasty chocolate and tropical fruit in the nose...didn't expect that wafting up from my Aventinus glass. There is also what appears a nutty element to this. A really wonderful collaboration of odors that lend their enjoyment to my nostrils.

If only the taste delivered what the wonderful odors coming from my Aventinus glass promised. So much of your taste comes from your sense of smell, but this just doesn't transfer. It tastes really thin despite having a medium body and that's because it's a bit thin on taste. I'm going to let it sit in the Aventinus glass a while and warm up and see if the flavors wake up. And yes, as I suspected, the chill on the beer killed some of the flavor. After warming, there is some nice roasted maltiness, but the chocolate is mostly mitigated...and very little fruit. However, the warming up did bring out some nice floral hops. It's still not as tasty as the smell would lead you to believe.

It does have a medium body that drives toward creaminess if allowed to warm up a bit. Do not drink this cold...treat it like a porter and you will be rewarded. There's a slight sourness that leaves some tingle on the tongue. Not sure where that would have come from.

It's still not worthy of the Aventinus glass but, if you hadn't noticed, I really like my Aventinus glass.

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this beer poured from a can into a pint glass.

The beer poured great a very black color to it, a tan colored one finger head and great lacing on the glass. The beer has a very strong coffee smell up front but then you get a roasted malt and slight caramel finish on it. The taste is similar to the smell with heavy coffee up front but there is also a great nutty blend in it that gets followed up by the roasted malt and caramel flavor. The mouthfeel is okay with a bitter coffee flavor that lingers around, somewhat dry and slghtly bitter. Overall, ths was a decent black lager, a little too powerful with the coffee flavor but decent none the less.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

A dark rusty mahogany color that has an inch of tan head. There is a decent amount of rostiness in the nose. Some lager yeast and coffee linger in the background. The taste is alright. Some roastiness and leather make for a nice taste that finishes with a wheat taste that lingers. A bit of tobacco as well. Ample carbonation, with a light-medium mouthfeel that is pretty enjoyable. Overall, this is a decent lager that has some tasty qualities. However, most of the characteristics are mellow and fairly subtle. Some more boldness would do this brew some good.

2.84/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a murky dark brown with a huge 3 inch tan head that settles to a small cap. A nice latticework of lace forms on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of roasted malt and some nutty aromas. Taste is of roasted malt, nuts, and a sour flavor. It almost reminds me of the Old English Porter from New Glarus (but not as well done). Unfortunately, the mouthfeel is a bit flat with a creamy mouthfeel. There is also a puckering quality to the sourness in the beer. Overall, this is a pretty average beer all around. I am not too sure if the sourness is supposed to be here but it kind of ruins it for me.

3.72/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured out of a pint can into my Duvel tulip.

A – Poured out a dark brown with just about a half finger of off white/tan brown head.

S – Caramel, toffee and brown sugar. Sweet and fragrant.

T – Faint taste of caramel comes through and just barely a hint of the sweetness in the nose. Roasty malt flavors. Bitter close to the finish. Nutty.

M – Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Thin feel.

O – Nose on this brew is very good but the taste lacks a bit. What threw this one off an A for me was that it finishes watery. It has nice flavors but the finish really makes you forget some of it. Remove that and it’s a really solid brew.

3.7/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. Buyers remorse immediately after reading below here. Lets see...Poured into the Guiness imperial pint. Light black, brown around and a thin layer of white.

Aroma has a good amount of chocolate and peaty malt.

Taste matches. Malty, some chocolate and quite a bit of peatiness. Finishes with a light toast and chocolate. Pretty well done.

Heavy side of light, enough carbonation. Drank similarly to the Full Sail Session Black.

I grab multiples of almost every Schwarz I find since I really seem to enjoy them.
Expectations were extreamly low, maybe I got a different batch or just got lucky. I will say of the four cans one was lacking moreso. Variations with the canning? I was very satisfied with mine.

1.96/5  rDev -40.6%

Appearance: Slips out a very dark brown body with a moderately-sized, light beige head.

Smell: Malty tones of caramel, honey, shaved chocolate and mild coffee with an undercurrent of soured, spoiled black currant jam dosed with licorice.

Taste: Chocolate, roast and with a vague hint of caramel. Middling sweetness. Touch of licorice. Burnt dark fruits, also some canned cherries, with a sharp noted sourness throughout. Rather unclean. Slightly earthy. Low bitterness. More of the same onward, but the repellent sourness is a deal breaker for me.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-low carbonation. Fairly smooth though.

Overall: Drain pour. Unfortunately, the soured infectious qualities deeply mar what potentially could've been a nice schwarz in a can. Better luck next time, Buckbean!

2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a dark brown but pitch black in the glass. Light unable to penetrate. Foamy tan head with low retention and no lacing.

Notes of bourbon and or rum barrel, dark cherry, bitter chocolate and sweet and sour notes on the nose.

Flavor is pretty far from the nose. There is a weird unpleasant bitter/sourness up front with a slight transition to a slight woody and chocolatey stout-like finish.

Mouthfeel is not that nice. Dry, tart and a little chalky. Medium carbonation.

Overall this beer is pretty much an unpleasant mess. I've contemplated a drainpour through the whole thing after my review. Still haven't made up my mind.

4.05/5  rDev +22.7%

16oz can poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown, almost cola like with a thin tan head that quickly fades to the edges.

S - Roasted malts, coffee, malty.

T - Hoppy, almost citrusy - orange zest, slight coffee.

D - Lots of carbonation, medium body.

O - Smell is stout-like, but the taste is more hoppy, unique and nice.

2.7/5  rDev -18.2%

Sometimes you just hate to pile on, ya know? But...

Anyway, I picked up this can of Black Noddy Lager at Brusin' Ales in Asheville last week. I don't believe I've had a beer from Nevada before and am developing ticker-syndrome, apparently... $2.50 for a 16oz can. Could be worse.

A. Fat, root beer looking head that falls about as fast as on said drink, no lace. Light walnut brown beer.

S. Hmmmrm. Metallic, sweet malts, cheap black bread, hoppy. Hoppy? Slightly sour note. Not very Schwarzbier like.

T. Yeah... sweet wet black bread with hops, an unappealing sour grape note lingers in the finish, thin, indistinct as for the rest. Metallic still. Sort of a mashup of flavors.. not very roasty or creamy, surely no German malt in here, mouthfeel is all off... this needs help....

M / O. Fizzy carbonation, slightly dry finish that is sour and unwanted... terribly mediocre beer, I am sorry to say. Too abrasive and thin and un-malty for a good Schwarzibier; tastes like a BJCP 24 point homebrew. And I take no pleasure it saying this, but I poured out the remaining 10 ounces. With so many better beers out there, why bother?

Black Noddy isn't undrinkable, but it does need work. Oh well... got the tick...

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Had this brewery's Orange Blossom thing and thought it was terrible, so who knows why I picked this one up. I guess I think any brewery deserves a second chance. So...

Pour is really nice, a burnt reddish caramel brown, with a very firm and fluffy light tan head.

With the aroma, I'm reminded more of a standard English brown ale than a schwarzbier...very nutty, a little sweet. Almost candy-like or sweet cream-like vibe, with that vibrant nuttiness in the center. I quite like the smell, it just doesn't smell like a schwarzbier.

Flavor is really more of the same from the aroma...quite nutty and also gently sweet. Toasty and roasty but not overdone in that area. Some citrus attempt to budge in, and it seems out of place. Simple and not very complex, and while decent kind of falls flat in the finish...or lack of any real finish. Ends with a dead mineral vibe, and that's about it.

Soft feel generally, as the carbonation tries to peek through and makes its way onto the tongue a bit, but is kept back by a more dominant creaminess.

Hey, this is not a bad beer, but it doesn't really taste like a schwarzbier to me, and happens to be least impressive where it counts most (taste). Might just pass on the next Buckbean beer I come across...

2.71/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured into my Kulmbacher schwarzbier glass a deep dark brown with ruby highlights coming thru,a thinner but well retained beige colored head atop.Aromas are really light mainly some dark chocolate and a passing shot of caramel.Like many have stated its thin and lacks body,for a beer this style there should be a hefty malt base.Lightly sweet with brown sugar and caramel overtop of unsweetened chocolate.It lacks in almost every category and I didnt finish my glass,hence the low rating.

2.83/5  rDev -14.2%

Lightest "dark beer" I've ever had. Pours dark brown, almost cola-like in appearance. Light toasty nose, touch of brown sugar. . Watery body, I know swarz can be light but this is BMC-like. Very light roasted flavor on the palate... Just weak in flavor and body. Goes down like dirty water.

1.84/5  rDev -44.2%

Poured from can into pint glass...

A- Pours a translucent dark liquid/ blackish brown. Pretty large bubbly and stable khaki colored head.

S- Very sour aroma. There really isn't much recognizable in it. I bought a 4pack of these and was hoping I just had a bad can last time but it seems this is the norm. It also has a chalky aroma that is just weird... Sweet Tarts! that is what this is and I don't think a sweet tart beer sounds good

T/M- Taste is light and has a similar sweet tart sourness that was found in the aroma. The only thing that makes this remind me of a schwarz (or even just a beer for that matter) is a slight subtle roast on the finish. The beer has an astringent sting on the tongue and is just overall acidic and watery... Not a fan

O- Love a good schwarzbier but this is one of the worst if not probably the worst I have had. Will not buy again and I have 2 cans I will have to try and get through now... I didn't drainpour it so I'm not giving an F- but per style this is not a good beer.

3.73/5  rDev +13%

16 oz can. No bottling dates.

Deep, black. Completely opaque. Tan head, thick and dense, but it dissipates quickly, leaving a thin cover.

Aromas of robust, black malts with strong tones of roasted coffee. Figs sweeten it up, with some citric hops. There's a touch of sharpness on the nose, almost metallic. May be from the hops.

Muted flavors at first, with vague tones of black malts and dark fruits. Leads into roasted coffee flavors mid-palate. Lemony citrus tang on the finish gives this a bright feeling. Light body for a dark beer, and somewhat creamy.

The hops make this taste almost like a CDA, and I enjoyed this beer because of this. It was better than I expected, especially because I got it on clearance. This is a good example that good beer can come in a can.

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%

Certainly my first Schwarzbier from a can!

A-Dirty black/brown with dark roasted chestnut highlights. A thin, creamy tan head reduces to a thin cap and leaves spotty lace.

S-Mild roast in the nose with a touch of chocolate note and coffee.

T-Quite roasty up front with a subtle sour mash twang and a bit of malt sweetness that balances out the dry finish. Accenting notes of dark cocoa, French roast coffee and toasted, almost burnt, biscuit.

M-Medium-light to medium bodied with a nice sharp profile and good lingering flavours along with that woody dry finish.

D-Schwarzbiers do not attempt to blow your palate out of the water but more massage them with flavour. This one is no different. A well done, flavourful and thoroughly enjoyable black lager from A CAN! A nicely done job by the folks at Buckbean,

4.3/5  rDev +30.3%

Dark, ruby black in the glass with decent gray/tan head that laced nicely. Rich roasted (but not smoky) malt in the nose. Initial taste is surprisingly balanced, roasted malt, smooth lager and a hint of bitterness that rests on the tongue and invites you to drink more. Perhaps a touch one dimensional, but that is also one of its strengths. It was consistently drinkable and enjoyable from first sip to last (even slightly warm) in the bottom of the glass. Cans are great at preserving taste, too. This was no exception. Flavor profile was amazingly fresh for something shipped clear across the country. Glad I saw it in the Carrolltown Liquors refrigerator case tonight.

3.49/5  rDev +5.8%

This is a reasonably good schwarzbier-type, but a bit thin of character and feel, and a bit one-dimensional. It has a nice sourness but this is just about all that it really has. In my book, though it is a lot better than Buckbean's Tule Duck red ale.

Very deep red-brown, almost black, it is faintly hazy and has a big tan head steadily shrinking to a foamy ring and leaving some nice lace, so it looks good.

Aroma is slightly sour dark fruits, old prunes mostly, with old, dry dark bread and dust. It's a bit like a schwarzbier or porter version of their Tule Duck aroma but better.

Taste is better with a sour winey-prune character mostly, plus hints of dark toasted barley and chocolate. It is mostly sour with faint sweetness and faint sharp bitterness. It has nothing else and the feel and body are very thin. That said, what character it has holds up reasonably well and the sourness playing off the hints of roastiness and chocolate is a nice touch.

2.46/5  rDev -25.5%

Appears black with a nice thick brown head.

It smells oddly sour. I get a mild chocolate like flavor and a bit of an odd spice like smell.

It tastes initially sour and not sour in a good way. I get a mild chocolate like flavor and a bit of a strange dark fruit flavor. I also get a bit of a nice nutty flavor and a bit of a spicy flavor. Initially the sourness of the beer repulsed me but it eventually grew on me.

High carbonation with a bit of a crisp mouthfeel.

The drinkability is ok I can drink this beer but I do not want another glass.

Overall a very weird sour Schwartz bier that is not that traditional or good in my opinion.

3.57/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a small head. Smell is full of roasted malts, there is a liitle drool coming from my mouth. Taste is good, although milder than the smell, roasted malts with a touch of bitterness at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall a good quality beer.

2.49/5  rDev -24.5%

Thanks to huadog for the chance to try this. Poured from a 16oz can with no indication of freshness into a snifter. This brew appears a dark brown color with 2 fingers of creamy tan head that slowly recedes leaving a seriously thick coating of lacework all about the glassware. When held to the light, it displays some lighter brown and clarity through the edges.

The aroma is a bit fruity with hops and a bit of dark almost raisin scents. Some metallic and mineral quality fills out the middle of the profile and finishes a little roasty in the nose. As it warms, it picks up a bit of a twinge that might suggest sourmashing.

The taste of this brew has a peculiar sour twinge that focuses quite a bit on the metallic character with hops and a light prick of alcohol in the back. There is a mild roastiness about this brew that lingers with a touch of coffee-like flavors.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with an effervescent amount of carbonation that seems a bit excessive for the style. I found the sourness to be a bit much and really distracted from what I was expecting in the style. I could not finish the glass and would not drink this again.

2.8/5  rDev -15.2%

Blind Beer #8 - http://flic.kr/p/97hgLL

Thanks to Flexabull for sending me this beer in Round 3 of the Blind Beer BIF.

Pounder can with pint marked on the paper. Going for my Long Trail glass as it should give me enough space. Appearance is dirty brown with a thin head that had little persistance. Aroma is of kilned malt and roasty-ness. Smell wise I'm thinking a Brown or Porter.

Flavor is bitter and not overly robust. Carbonation is very effervescent on the tongue and maybe the CO2 is leading to some of that bitterness. Doubful of porter at this point. Body is fairly light and mouthfeel is wet and quenching, but a slight residual dryness on the front sides of your tongue. Not sure on the flavor, I feel like I'm tasting a metalic flavor (it did come in a can), one similar to sucking on a piece of wire or sticking your tongue on a 9V battery to check it.

Well, this is an interesting twist. The can is Buckbean Brewing Co. Black Noddy Lager. A Schwarzbier. Judging to style it still seems a bit unbalanced, but I can see what they were trying to do.

3.4/5  rDev +3%

pours a nice dark brown, near black, with caramel highlights. a fair half-finger head fizzles away and leaves good webby lacing.

aroma is malt forward with caramel notes. grassy, woody, sweet and roasty.

taste is malty and smooth, with a good bit of citrusy hop bitterness. almost a touch funky... citrusy astringency... extreme roast? or just acrid? not sure... but it's subtle, and is quite possibly just the heavy roastiness.

mouth is decent with ample, if not a touch strong, carbonation. smooth, a hint of hop slickness lingers... along with a tart astringency that seems a touch out of place.

all in all, an interesting schwarz. not one I'd necessarily want more of, nor one I would buy again, but I'm certainly glad I gave it a shot. not the worst drinking brew I've had.

to view more.