Black Noddy Lager - Buckbean Brewing Company

Black Noddy LagerBlack Noddy Lager

Buckbean Brewing Company
Nevada, United States

Schwarzbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: beerphilosopher on 07-13-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Noddy Lager Alström Bros
mhaugo

11-17-2012 23:49:47 | More by chinchill
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

1.8/5  rDev -45.5%

Poured from can into pint glass...

A- Pours a translucent dark liquid/ blackish brown. Pretty large bubbly and stable khaki colored head.

S- Very sour aroma. There really isn't much recognizable in it. I bought a 4pack of these and was hoping I just had a bad can last time but it seems this is the norm. It also has a chalky aroma that is just weird... Sweet Tarts! that is what this is and I don't think a sweet tart beer sounds good

T/M- Taste is light and has a similar sweet tart sourness that was found in the aroma. The only thing that makes this remind me of a schwarz (or even just a beer for that matter) is a slight subtle roast on the finish. The beer has an astringent sting on the tongue and is just overall acidic and watery... Not a fan

O- Love a good schwarzbier but this is one of the worst if not probably the worst I have had. Will not buy again and I have 2 cans I will have to try and get through now... I didn't drainpour it so I'm not giving an F- but per style this is not a good beer.

05-10-2011 17:23:28 | More by TheGordianKnot
thekevlarkid

Maryland

1.9/5  rDev -42.4%

Out of a can this beer was dark brown/black color with two dingers of foamy, tan-colored head (black and tan anyone…). The retention was good and it left clumps of lacing. The aroma was… tainted. I smelled roasted malt and nuts but also a certain sourness that always alerts me to a beer gone bad. The flavors confirmed my suspicion; the beer was exposed to a foreign yeast or tainted somehow by oxygen because I tasted mostly the sourness of wild yeast with notes of roasted malt, licorice and nuts lingering behind that. The mouthfeel was overly frothy, the body medium and the carbonation too high. Not sure exactly what went wrong here, but I know it wasn’t right.

01-15-2012 16:35:45 | More by thekevlarkid
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

1.93/5  rDev -41.5%

Appearance: Slips out a very dark brown body with a moderately-sized, light beige head.

Smell: Malty tones of caramel, honey, shaved chocolate and mild coffee with an undercurrent of soured, spoiled black currant jam dosed with licorice.

Taste: Chocolate, roast and with a vague hint of caramel. Middling sweetness. Touch of licorice. Burnt dark fruits, also some canned cherries, with a sharp noted sourness throughout. Rather unclean. Slightly earthy. Low bitterness. More of the same onward, but the repellent sourness is a deal breaker for me.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-low carbonation. Fairly smooth though.

Overall: Drain pour. Unfortunately, the soured infectious qualities deeply mar what potentially could've been a nice schwarz in a can. Better luck next time, Buckbean!

07-26-2011 18:47:41 | More by ChainGangGuy
DousedInStout

Washington

2.08/5  rDev -37%

A black lager in a can?! Yes, please...Pours an ashy black with tan head. And that, unfortunately, about sums up the highlight. The nose is raunchy - an abundance of DMS brings out stewed vegetables (namely celery and cabbage). The taste has some roastedness, but a metallic tinge overtakes all real flavor. The carbonation is adequate. I'm not sure how old this can was (no date), but it was purchased from the cooler in a high quality liquor shop, so I can only assume this beer became flawed in the brewing process.

01-21-2010 09:44:36 | More by DousedInStout
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.15/5  rDev -34.8%

16 oz can poured into a Pilsner glass. 5.2% ABV, no date.

Knowing how much of a pain it was for the purveyor of this beer, Beerwolf77, to get this beer, I really hope to enjoy it.

A - Always nice to pour from a can, the color is a very dark mahogany brown and clear. This beer has good head formation with two-fingers worth of light tan, dense foam dropping slowly. Bits of lacing left here and there.

S - Very small hints at a light metallic aroma come and go around the dark malt nose. The thing about the aroma that worries me is the chlorophenolic, band-aid-like smell I'm picking up in this. Maybe it's from a smoky malt or improper water filtration, but it's not so appealing. In fact, the more I try and drink it [later on] the more I'm disgusted by it.

T - Thankfully the chlorophenols aren't very present in the flavor, but it doesn't fix the beer. The taste has a dry roasted malt flavor that seems to possibly have been over-roasted. he real flavor of beer is thin in this one. A light and unfitting hop flavor comes in too and is finished out by a hint of band-aids, some cooked corn, and a little bit of metal.

M - The beer is medium-bodied feeling with a richness to it that doesn't contribute to the flavor. The finish is dry and lingers for a while (unfortunately).

D - I wouldn't ever want this again. It's too bad knowing what Todd went through to get this to have it turn out so bad for me. I'll be pouring this out rather than subject myself to a liquid band-aid.

12-04-2009 03:28:18 | More by BeerFMAndy
gjoker321

2.2/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from can into german style handled stein. After review I wonder about the storage and handling of this beer prior to review. I would love to try again if I got the chance! These are not brewing flaws but handling and MAYBE packaging.

Appearance: Black with brown highlights. one fingerbreadth light brown head of mostly tight bubbles. Hard to discern clarity in this vessel.

Aroma: Initially some light pineapple and apple notes with a peculiar cinnamon quality (all very faint and quickly waft off). Hints of sweet, dark chocolate malt notes as warms. There is a certain pineapple sweetness to this that reminds me of a brett nose.

Flavor: Big pineapple and cooked-cherry notes up front with an aftertaste of wet cardboard (prob oxidized). Some light American 2-row malt notes to follow. No noticeable hop flavor but hard to taste much beyond what is noted. What might be hop tangy-strawberry in the finish, hard to tell.

Mouth feel: Acidic astringency in finish felt throughout tongue.

Overall: This might have once been a very clean lager but it suffers at this point from some oxidation and possible infection issues. I bought it in Tennessee and it was made in Nevada so that could be an issue. The code "9 04 22A1BX" was printed on the side whatever that means (could this been possible be from 9/04?) and "3A" was on the bottom.

12-16-2010 19:57:47 | More by gjoker321
chumba526

Oregon

2.4/5  rDev -27.3%

Appears black with a nice thick brown head.

It smells oddly sour. I get a mild chocolate like flavor and a bit of an odd spice like smell.

It tastes initially sour and not sour in a good way. I get a mild chocolate like flavor and a bit of a strange dark fruit flavor. I also get a bit of a nice nutty flavor and a bit of a spicy flavor. Initially the sourness of the beer repulsed me but it eventually grew on me.

High carbonation with a bit of a crisp mouthfeel.

The drinkability is ok I can drink this beer but I do not want another glass.

Overall a very weird sour Schwartz bier that is not that traditional or good in my opinion.

02-10-2011 02:05:58 | More by chumba526
stakem

2.45/5  rDev -25.8%

Thanks to huadog for the chance to try this. Poured from a 16oz can with no indication of freshness into a snifter. This brew appears a dark brown color with 2 fingers of creamy tan head that slowly recedes leaving a seriously thick coating of lacework all about the glassware. When held to the light, it displays some lighter brown and clarity through the edges.

The aroma is a bit fruity with hops and a bit of dark almost raisin scents. Some metallic and mineral quality fills out the middle of the profile and finishes a little roasty in the nose. As it warms, it picks up a bit of a twinge that might suggest sourmashing.

The taste of this brew has a peculiar sour twinge that focuses quite a bit on the metallic character with hops and a light prick of alcohol in the back. There is a mild roastiness about this brew that lingers with a touch of coffee-like flavors.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with an effervescent amount of carbonation that seems a bit excessive for the style. I found the sourness to be a bit much and really distracted from what I was expecting in the style. I could not finish the glass and would not drink this again.

01-25-2011 01:41:09 | More by stakem
Phelps

Arizona

2.45/5  rDev -25.8%

Looks: pours a deep cola brown, almost completely opaque, although a hold to a light does reveal some cherry hues. A pretty vigorous pour doesn't beget much film; just a dirty blonde film.

Smells: fruitier than expected. It's interesting and sweet, with notes of chocolate, dark cherries, char and grape juice.

Tastes: ephemeral. The flavor has an interesting watery, transient quality. You think more will be there than there is. A strange dark fruit tang, some dark chocolate, some burnt wood. A pleasant toasty bread flavor builds after the swallow. Sadly, the odd tanginess becomes more noticeable after each sip as well.

Feels: frothy. Medium carbonation, medium-light body. Insubstantial, but not outside style parameters.

Drinks: might be better if kept very cold. As it is, something strange is happening with the malt.

07-25-2010 21:39:07 | More by Phelps
grumpygerman

Alabama

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

12-02-2012 04:19:10 | More by grumpygerman
MrVonzipper

2.55/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours a dark brown but pitch black in the glass. Light unable to penetrate. Foamy tan head with low retention and no lacing.

Notes of bourbon and or rum barrel, dark cherry, bitter chocolate and sweet and sour notes on the nose.

Flavor is pretty far from the nose. There is a weird unpleasant bitter/sourness up front with a slight transition to a slight woody and chocolatey stout-like finish.

Mouthfeel is not that nice. Dry, tart and a little chalky. Medium carbonation.

Overall this beer is pretty much an unpleasant mess. I've contemplated a drainpour through the whole thing after my review. Still haven't made up my mind.

07-23-2011 03:45:18 | More by MrVonzipper
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

Mahogany brown that becomes dark cranberry when backlit by the overcast morning sky outside my front window. The khaki colored head looks pretty good and is festooning the glass with fine sheets of lace that look like they'll stick. And do.

The nose is pleasant enough, though it could be more roasted malty. Granted, this isn't a stout or porter, but schwartzbiers need to deliver the goods as well. The noble hops are appreciated too, which is a surprise.

Black Noddy Lager doesn't have enough malty guts, even when taking style into account. The grain bill (what there is of it) includes Munich, caramel and honey malts. It tastes and feels like the ABV is 4.2%, not 5.2%. In addition, hints of metal and a fruit juice tang are out of place.

Flavors include watery coffee mixed with cocoa powder, a modest herbal-earthy hoppiness and a wee splash of lemon juice stored in a tin can. Warming softens the negatives without accentuating the positives. Each of the final four scores just got docked one-half point. Sorry, not impressed.

The mouthfeel is too light, as should have been obvious by now. It starts out borderline watery and gets there with ease by mid-mouthful. Since there's nothing to cushion the carbonation, it's a little on the harsh side.

A black noddy is a bird in the tern family. Noddy also means dunce, fool or simpleton. The bird seen on the can indicates that Buckbean Brewing Company meant the first definition. Unfortunately, Black Noddy Lager drinks like the beer equivalent of the second definition.

01-12-2010 14:12:10 | More by BuckeyeNation
oberon

2.68/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured into my Kulmbacher schwarzbier glass a deep dark brown with ruby highlights coming thru,a thinner but well retained beige colored head atop.Aromas are really light mainly some dark chocolate and a passing shot of caramel.Like many have stated its thin and lacks body,for a beer this style there should be a hefty malt base.Lightly sweet with brown sugar and caramel overtop of unsweetened chocolate.It lacks in almost every category and I didnt finish my glass,hence the low rating.

06-15-2011 18:35:07 | More by oberon
kkipple

South Carolina

2.68/5  rDev -18.8%

Sometimes you just hate to pile on, ya know? But...

Anyway, I picked up this can of Black Noddy Lager at Brusin' Ales in Asheville last week. I don't believe I've had a beer from Nevada before and am developing ticker-syndrome, apparently... $2.50 for a 16oz can. Could be worse.

A. Fat, root beer looking head that falls about as fast as on said drink, no lace. Light walnut brown beer.

S. Hmmmrm. Metallic, sweet malts, cheap black bread, hoppy. Hoppy? Slightly sour note. Not very Schwarzbier like.

T. Yeah... sweet wet black bread with hops, an unappealing sour grape note lingers in the finish, thin, indistinct as for the rest. Metallic still. Sort of a mashup of flavors.. not very roasty or creamy, surely no German malt in here, mouthfeel is all off... this needs help....

M / O. Fizzy carbonation, slightly dry finish that is sour and unwanted... terribly mediocre beer, I am sorry to say. Too abrasive and thin and un-malty for a good Schwarzibier; tastes like a BJCP 24 point homebrew. And I take no pleasure it saying this, but I poured out the remaining 10 ounces. With so many better beers out there, why bother?

Black Noddy isn't undrinkable, but it does need work. Oh well... got the tick...

07-09-2011 18:07:53 | More by kkipple
BeerAndBourbon

2.7/5  rDev -18.2%

A. Pours a very dark black with a two finger tan head with a touch of lacing.

S. Lightly roasted malt.

T. Lightly roasted malt with a bit of sweetness and a bit or tartness - not too much going on here.

M. Very thin with a high level of carbonation.

D. Eh. One of my least impressive can experiences.

10-30-2010 00:36:55 | More by BeerAndBourbon

05-12-2012 00:11:50 | More by JosiahS
neorunner

2.78/5  rDev -15.8%

Blind Beer #8 - http://flic.kr/p/97hgLL

Thanks to Flexabull for sending me this beer in Round 3 of the Blind Beer BIF.

Pounder can with pint marked on the paper. Going for my Long Trail glass as it should give me enough space. Appearance is dirty brown with a thin head that had little persistance. Aroma is of kilned malt and roasty-ness. Smell wise I'm thinking a Brown or Porter.

Flavor is bitter and not overly robust. Carbonation is very effervescent on the tongue and maybe the CO2 is leading to some of that bitterness. Doubful of porter at this point. Body is fairly light and mouthfeel is wet and quenching, but a slight residual dryness on the front sides of your tongue. Not sure on the flavor, I feel like I'm tasting a metalic flavor (it did come in a can), one similar to sucking on a piece of wire or sticking your tongue on a 9V battery to check it.

Well, this is an interesting twist. The can is Buckbean Brewing Co. Black Noddy Lager. A Schwarzbier. Judging to style it still seems a bit unbalanced, but I can see what they were trying to do.

01-03-2011 23:26:15 | More by neorunner
bbb099

2.83/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into a goblet from a can.

A: Pours with a light tan colored head and though it disappeared quite quickly, there is some lacing. Color is almost completely black with tint of browness when viewed from the top. Resembles a darker coca-cola.

S: Weak smell of roasted malt. I sensed no hops.

T: It tastes mostly of black malt at first sip but was tart inside the mouth and goes down a little sour.

M: Light to medium body. Average carbonation.

D: It is a little on the watery side and the tartness was overwhelming.

12-24-2010 05:05:29 | More by bbb099
yemenmocha

Arizona

2.83/5  rDev -14.2%

Lightest "dark beer" I've ever had. Pours dark brown, almost cola-like in appearance. Light toasty nose, touch of brown sugar. . Watery body, I know swarz can be light but this is BMC-like. Very light roasted flavor on the palate... Just weak in flavor and body. Goes down like dirty water.

05-23-2011 04:22:26 | More by yemenmocha
smc143

Missouri

2.85/5  rDev -13.6%

The Buckbean Brewing Company sent me some free beer. So I definitely owe a review. I also received a large "media kit," aka a folder full of official propaganda on the company. The gist of it was that people who adore beer start their own brewery, and decide that cans are much better for the environment. Probably cheaper too. They seem to only brew two styles/flavors of beer, and I got 2 of each. I reviewed them with my husband and a friend.

The Black Noddy Lager was poured into a pint glass & was suprisingly dark for a lager. I KNOW it has Black in the name, but it reminded us of a Coke pouring out of the can. It smelled like dark caramel mixed with licorice. The mouthfeel was interesting, because due to the dark color, everyone expected it to be thick, but it is not. Very smooth, however. The taste was the great divider. It tasted like malts, and licorice. The after taste was odd and lingering, almost like Good & Plentys. The husband liked it, I thought the after taste was a little too chemical for me, and friend despised it, being a non-fan of licorice in any form. Anything dark & chock full of flavor like this works better for me when it is cooler out. The end of August wasn't probably the best time of year to try this one on for size, but all in all, it was still pretty tasty.

10-05-2008 02:48:43 | More by smc143
UCLABrewN84

2.85/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a murky dark brown with a huge 3 inch tan head that settles to a small cap. A nice latticework of lace forms on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of roasted malt and some nutty aromas. Taste is of roasted malt, nuts, and a sour flavor. It almost reminds me of the Old English Porter from New Glarus (but not as well done). Unfortunately, the mouthfeel is a bit flat with a creamy mouthfeel. There is also a puckering quality to the sourness in the beer. Overall, this is a pretty average beer all around. I am not too sure if the sourness is supposed to be here but it kind of ruins it for me.

08-18-2011 02:31:01 | More by UCLABrewN84
vacax

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

Pint can. Brown beer while it pours, black inside of the glass. Quite a hefty head, nearly two fingers of dense foam to contend with. Decent retention/lace. Aroma is minimal, but what exists is some lightly roasty malts, touch of hops, and a decent amount of fruits. Once I taste it the fruitiness of the nose turns out to be a tartness that is way out of style, an off-flavor. Tart with bready malts, light hoppiness, and a roasty malty finish. Nice silky body with a tempered level of creamy carbonation works quite nicely. This would be quite tasty if there wasn't the slight sourness to it throwing it all out of wack.

12-29-2009 09:32:02 | More by vacax