Blood Orange Pale Ale - Great South Bay Brewery

good

Great South Bay Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

A delightful mid summer day's dream comes to life with our Blood Orange Pale Ale. We blend the finest quality Blood Oranges with our ever popular original Pale Ale recipe to produce this remarkably refreshing hand crafted beer. The secret to its splendor is just the right combination of hand chosen American hops to accentuate the natural bitterness and citrus flavors of the the Blood Orange. You'll be pleased with how amazingly the malt, hops, and blood orange meld together to create a sensation in a beer like a sunrise on a clear summer morning! We've never brewed anything quite like our Blood Orange Pale and we're happy to do so to keep you revitalized throughout the summer months.

(Beer added by: Gmann on 04-14-2012)
CaptJackHarkness

4.8/5  rDev +34.1%

Served on tap at the Jon Thomas Inn in Brightwaters, N.Y..

The aroma is very pleasant, mild citrus. The appearance is clear orange-yellow with an inch thick white foam head. Head lasts a while and there is lacing on the glass all the way to the bottom.
The taste is citrusy as of orange juice with a slight acidic bite, quite refreshing! Crisp aftertaste. Well balanced, sessionable.

1/27/2014 Serving type: Bottle
Everything I previously said with the caveat that the finish is more bitter,
Bottle states grain as 2-row, crystal

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

05-07-2012 01:36:37 | More by disruptor32
JonAdams

4.48/5  rDev +25.1%

Wow - hoppy and citrusy without the slightest pine note.
Pours clear and brilliant amber. Turn on your nose before sipping and get very clear orange notes, think it's orange juice, but then the taste is very much a clean pale ale, quite hoppy without any malt aftertaste.
Served in a standard pint glass. Head dissipates quickly but leaves lacy white on the sides of the glass.

07-14-2014 23:43:56 | More by JonAdams
socon67

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%

A - Pours orange, cloudy, and with a haze. Some white foam that quickly dissaptes.

S - Smells of fresh oranges, earthy spice, and yeasty of fresh bread.

T - Love the crisp taste of orangy citrus. The citrues flavor is very up front. Behind that a secondary flavor of grain and a subtle hint of oily hops.

M - Insanely sessionable. I could drink this all day. I love citrus flavors, so this was like a dream.

O - Great one-off of the Robert Moses pale. I'd like to see this again.

04-15-2012 23:50:42 | More by socon67
woodychandler

4.38/5  rDev +22.3%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one features one of my approved pics, but I assume that I had set it aside, awaiting just such approval. This is partially attributable to how the backlog begins.

From the bottle: "Inside this bottle you'll find the liquid personification of the creativity that drives us as craft brewers here at GSB. Blood Orange Pale Ale starts with the finest quality malted barley and American hops. We then infuse the beer with blood oranges to add the bittersweet flavor that rounds out this remarkably well balanced pale ale."

My anxiousness to get started on this led to an aggro pour, further resulting in a pseudo-cascade that settled into two fingers of foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. No guesswork need with regard to color on this golden ale - the label identified it as SRM = 10. Of course, this brought forth my old buddies, Mammon, Croesus and Midas, all begging for a sip. It is really sad to see them so desperate for gold. Nose smelled like orange honey! My Old Lady, the Queen Bee, would like this. Mouthfeel was medium and the flavor was very honey-like, tending towards a tea-like mellowness. Think orange pekoe with honey and you are there. This was a really nice, mellow beer on a hot, humid afternoon. I usually eschew APAs in favor of AIPAs, but this was definitely worthwhile. Finish was semi-dry and the orange flavor lingered well after the swallow. Nice.

07-13-2014 19:40:37 | More by woodychandler

05-19-2014 11:54:17 | More by mcphish22
etoimazo

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev +15.4%

I’ve enjoyed a few homebrews and craft beers with fresh citrus zest over the past few years, so was intrigued by Great South Bay’s Blood Orange offering when it was served up at DeCicco’s in Brewster, NY. I like the idea of using fruit bitterness in the summertime to help cut back on the hops required, which I find quite overpowering on a hot summer day. I brought home a growlerful and waited for a warm enough summer evening to enjoy it.

Appearance- orange/golden and clear – appealing head and bubbliness suggests the luscious fruitiness you’d expect from a citrus-tinged refresher

Aroma- some orange scent comes through a well-balanced profile

Taste- a big bam of blood orange bitterness hits first, then settles back as the malts and hops take over, but not for long as the orange zest persists long after the last swallow. The orange flavor is distinctly different from the usual bitter orange peel you get from a witbier –it’s sharp, tart, and crisp rather than smooth – more like grapefruit than tangerine.

Overall- An acquired taste developed upon completing the growlerful, but I suspect this is not going to be everyone’s favorite. You have to like the lingering orange zestiness or you won’t appreciate this as an American Pale Ale. I like its balance and presentation – 40 IBU’s is about right for a summer refresher and the beer wants to be savored rather than gulped.

Tweaks – Blended perfectly with Abita’s Grapefruit Harvest IPA, which happens to have the same 40-IBU bitterness. A citrus complexity comes through with the combination of orange and grapefruit flavors that I found particularly refreshing.

06-07-2014 19:03:15 | More by etoimazo
illpass78

Maine

4.11/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Note: I also got a growler of this once, but my dad glugged it before I had any. Thanks, Dad!

Appearance: Pours a clear orange-gold hue. Carbonation is heavy. Lacing moderate. Head is small and white and recedes swiftly. Looks almost lager-like.

Aroma: Definitely doesn't smell like a lager, though. Smells of citrus and hop bitterness. It's hop-forward. The smell is more of a citrus hop kind of aroma than straight oranges. Doesn't sour me on the beer but I kind of expected a big orange punch.

Taste: My, my, what have we here. The taste is full of pleasant citrus bitterness. Much more bitter than I expected, and in a good way. IBUs are a fairly ballsy 40, which I didn't notice when I grabbed this in a mixed six. Very easy on the palate, too. You bet I'd get more of these. Sessionable but with some nice flavor complexity.

Mouthfeel: It's watery but it kind of should be because it's a summery (or maybe springy) beer.

Overall: I dig this. Fruit beer tends to make my eyes roll, but the execution here is terrific - it's a nice, hoppy, citrus-heavy beer with a perfectly moderate alcohol level. It was a perfect match for Super Bowl appetizers, and I can definitely see keeping some around this summer for backyard afternoons with baseball on the radio.

02-03-2014 04:19:58 | More by illpass78
beerloserLI

4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours out light orange.

The nose hits with a nice orange twist. Very pleasant but no over-kill.

Taste starts with lots of subtle orange flavors with a good balance of malts and hops. A slight bitter finish but mostly smooth. The balance is what strikes me the most. Everything really clicks together.
The body holds up well with nothing watery or really off putting unless you don't like orange. At 5.2% it offers the flexibility of a session ale or an every day drinker.

10-31-2013 02:39:43 | More by beerloserLI
cosmicevan

4.09/5  rDev +14.2%

consuming now from a 16 growler fill from earlier today and also combined with my notes when i got this as part of a flight at Morrison's (a new craft gastropub that opened near my home - they had batch 1 from the new brewery on tap).

nice orange color..thin head on the pour, transparent. really nice tangerine glazing on the nose and taste. clean and crisp. pale ale with a fruity twist. drinks easy and on tap, coats glass...from the growler, not so much. great summer beer. the growler version felt a bit lager like and almost grainy on the back end of the taste, but still really solid. nice unique drinkable beer from the locals.

07-18-2013 01:33:29 | More by cosmicevan
mdfb79

4.05/5  rDev +13.1%

From 06/15/14 notes.

a - Pours a somewhat clear bright orange color with moderate carbonation evident and one inch of bright white head.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, fruity malts, floral hops, and light bready malts. Nice nose, decent amount of fruit and citrus.

t - Tastes of oranges, sweet fruity malts, citrus hops, tropical notees, floral hops, bread, and wheat. Nice taste, more malty than the nose and less citrus hops overall.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation. Crisp, and pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall I tried a few pours of this one a few months ago at a Beerfest and liked it, and after having a full bottle of it I liked this about the same. Nice citrus in the nose, sweet fruits in the taste, and easy to drink. Oranges definitely come through, I would have it again.

03-03-2014 14:39:55 | More by mdfb79