Cacaonut - The Bruery

CacaonutCacaonut

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  15.60% ABV

Cacaonut is a special treat. A rare and secret blend of several different barrel aged beers that we've pulled from our cellar along with toasted coconut and cacao nibs from San Francisco's TCHO.

The inspiration for this beer were the unique flavors of a chocolate dipped coconut macaroon. After polishing off a few of those dense, sweet and delicious, coconut treats, Patrick started thinking through the flavor profiles of some of our favorite barrel aged beers, deciphering a way to replicate the luscious qualities of that favorite treat. Spice, rich toffee, cocoa and tropical notes blend deliciously and delicately in this newest barrel aged addition to our collection.

(Beer added by: thirdeyevision on 10-09-2013)
Reviews by bcerv-ca:
1.08/5  rDev -66.1%

Previously tried Cacaonut on draft at the Bruery, the weekend after the Black Tuesday release. Good beer. Sweet, boozy, and finished with a slight tartness.

Opened a bottle tonight and was disgusted. As I poured this into a glass, I could hear that it was highly carbonated (imagine the sizzle after quickly pouring a Coca-Cola into a glass). Appearance was a dark caramel color with strange bands of discoloration and dark floating chunks. Smelled sour with a hint of sweetness. Tasted sour, acidic, and highly carbonated. IMMEDIATE DRAIN POUR.

Back in November when I tried this on tap, it was a solid beer. This bottle was the WORST beer I have ever tasted. I know the Bruery admitted this beer was bad and offered credit, but that doesn't help me forget how putrid this brew was. Stay away from CACAONUT.

I will now be wary of any new Bruery releases.

bcerv-ca, Jan 25, 2014

johnyb, Sep 16, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

acurtis, Sep 20, 2014
3.7/5  rDev +16%

The sum is not greater than its parts. This is a mess, but a really enjoyable one at that. Over the top and imbalanced, but undeniably enjoyable.

Not a great looking beer - pours a murky, dirty ruby/light brown with very minimal head. Aroma is incredible sweet and boozy, overpowering any nuances. Get the sweet vanilla, chocolate, and coconut in there, but do not immediately think "coconut!" by any means. Some booze soaked stone fruits and leather - a lot of the old ale comes through. Taste is huge - very hot and boozy and nearly cloyingly sweet, drinks hard. Big sticky finish of jammy/tangy dark fruits soaked in bourbon, vanilla/coconut candied sweetness.

timc100, Nov 16, 2013
3.33/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased in the fall of 2013 from one of the Bruery clubs.

This beer really threw me for a loop when I poured it; the color being light brown and amber when for some reason I thought it would be dark black. Then, the beer was incredibly fizzy and quickly formed a finger thick head over the liquid, only to instantly dissipate leaving nothing. Add to this a large amount of floating sediment, and this beer had me scratching my head. It's not bad to look at as it settles, but I'm not encouraged in the slightest.

After a few good whiffs, I'm even further confused. Isn't this supposed to have coconut and cacao nibs? Why do I only get the tartness of Flanders Brown? I suppose there's some hints of coconut there and something that suggests a macaroon, but that's buried under the sour characteristics. I dunno about this brewski so far.

There are glimmers of hope as I drink this. I'm getting some diverse flavors and sensations, from mouth-puckering sourness to burnt coconut, vanilla, and dark chocolate. There's some sweetness in there that quickly gives way to the sour aggressiveness.

I suppose some folks might enjoy this beer, but for me this is the second bust in a row (especially given the $20 pricetags!) after the Or Xata did nothing to impress me. Cacaonut sounded delicious in my mind as a stout or imperial stout, but as a sour, it doesn't do much for me. I'm quite disappointed, even if my rating is somewhat generous.

ONovoMexicano, Mar 05, 2014