Orchard White - The Bruery

Orchard WhiteOrchard White

The Bruery visit their website

Witbier |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: DoubleJ on 05-01-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orchard White Alström Bros

4.97/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured into an over sized wineglass at 48F, bottle not dated

A - Poured with a billow white head that died pretty quickly with no lacing. Hazy pale straw color with lots of carbonation.

S - Bread and spices, coriander specifically with a slight hint of lemon peel and lavender. Spot on for the style.

T - The lavender really comes out in the taste, great wheat flavors and more orange than lemon on the palate.

M - Light, but not thin, with plenty of carbonation. The lavender and other floral flavors really stick around, leaving a dry finish after about 2 minutes.

O - This is a great spring beer, cook some pork and serve it with stone fruit and a glass of this, perfect. I will be drinking this when I can get it.

4.95/5  rDev +27.6%

750ml bottle served in a Chalice (Westmalle).Enjoyed on jun´11

Pours pale yellow with a hazy -yeast in suspension- body. White, rocky, medium bubble crown. Head dissipates fairly quick. On nose coriander, orange peel, sesame seeds, cut grass & mint hints. Subtle minty notes at the beginning with buttery flavors. Funny peppers & dill hues in the middle. Notes of sour-sweet & dry spicy flavor too. Medium body & a very well balanced carbonation mouthfeel. Gentle dry bitter finished. Malty
& bready aftertaste. Very easy & refreshing drinkability.
Excelent balanced flavors & aromas. A complex & mandatory
beer for Wit hunters & beginners.

4.93/5  rDev +27.1%

I tried this beer in a few places: The So. Cal. Homebrewers Festival and at The Bruery.

All I can say is: WOW!. This belgian wit style beer pours with a dense, tightly bubbled white head and the aroma's wonderful. Spiced with lavender and corriander with some citrusy notes too. The yeast is also a bit spicy too which adds to the complexity of this beer. This is a nice session beer and I could see myself having more than a few of these on a hot summer day.

Enjoy this classic example of beer responsibly, as it could sneek up on you in a hurry if you don't count the number of them you drink.

4.93/5  rDev +27.1%

I love this beer. Appearance is great, not as cloudy as you'd expect for an unfiltered wheat beer. The fragrance (smell is too crude a word for this beer) is sublime, probably the most intensely floral nose I've ever experienced. The Orchard White smells like an orchard with lavender and honeysuckle and jasmine all in full bloom. It tastes like an orchard too fresh and clean and pleasant. There's enough fruit in this beer that adding a lemon or orange would be overkill. Enjoy it on a nice spring day...or anytime you want to experience what a nice spring day might taste like.

Recommended Music Pairing: Jack Johnson - On and On

4.9/5  rDev +26.3%

I had this on tap a week ago so I will do my best to give an accurate review. The review will be updated once I get my greedy hands on a few more bottles of this stuff - it's just incredible!

The head brewer is not afraid to try new and exciting things and so far, he has not let my taste buds down.

On to the review..

A - Pours golden in color, haze from the wheat and yeast, and a really nice dense thick white head.

S - You know - it really is the aroma that gets your mouth watering with this beer. Sweet and citrus fruity with a touch of spice and maybe some pepper notes... the lavender just brings it all together.

T - I've never really been a big fan of wits as whole but this beer is just so good. Nice and grainy sweet with lots of citrus flavors with some pepper spiciness to it. The lavender that was in the aroma is also right there in the mix but it doesn't detract from the beer - it really enhances it. Yep, fortunately the flavor is much like the aroma! There's nice a complexity I assume comes from the yeast.

M - Moderate carbonation. Smooth yet crisp and slightly tart.

D - In the past, I've never been a big fan of wits. This beer opened my eyes to how complex, interesting, and down right tasty a wit can really be. This beer did for me what Duchesse de Bourgogne did for me in regards to Flanders Red - I love these beers!

This was one of the first beers I tried from The Bruery and is probably one of my favorites. I also tried their Levuds and Saison Rue and both of those were just incredible. I will write the review on those beers once I get a bottle - I'd like to give them an accurate review.

If you are able to get your hands on one of their offerings, I highly recommend it. This brewery has some exciting flavors going on and I anticipate big things from them in the near future.

4.85/5  rDev +25%

Capped 750ml Bottle (new checkered cap). Clear as a bell, very clear for a wheat beer. white head that is thin but dense and holding strong. Head retention probably from wheat content. Smells citrusy, lactic acid, and full of wheat. I think it smells more like a Berliner-Weizen than a Witbier. Good aroma. Also taste tart and more like a Berliner-W. than a white ale. I expected coriander and Seville orange. But this is quite lemony. That being said, what a wonderful exciting flavor. Highly refreshing. Thin body for a wheat, almost lager-like in mouthfeel. I plan to go back and buy the last one of these, this beer is outstanding.

4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

First off I need to say I love the logos, labels, and bottle caps this company is using, Very well done. This beer smells great pouring a nice golden color into the tulip glass.. Bready wheat, Belgian yeast, sweetness all in the nose. One of the most well balanced white ales I've had. You get a nice bit of floral lavender, Belgian yeast, sweet oats, and a definite bready-ness with a Floral, bready after taste. Word is they're doing away with this one so do yourself a favor and pick it up before it's gone for good.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

Yesterday I was looking for high rated wit beers that sounded like they tasted something like the one I would like to brew, and I found this one and since it is brewed on the west siiieeed and i live on the east siiieeed I put it on my "wants" list.

Then on my way home from work I stopped by max's to try one or two of their wits since their selection is amazing and if you get there before 5 its not full of sports bar types or happy hour yuppies. Low and Behold. Orchard White.

Maybe it was the build up but i teared up a little when I tried it.

It had a thick golden color with plenty of goodness floating on the inside. There was a thick well sustaining head the smelled like citrus and lavender. The taste was mostly malt and citrus held up by a wonderful bready base.

It had a wonderful thick smooth mouthfeel and was so drinkable it was only a couple minutes before it was gone and i was missing it.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

A= Pours a hazy light yellow color with a nice big three finger white head on it that holds steady retention and lacing on the side of the glass. About a shade darker than I would expect a Wit to be. This is for sure more in the yellow but still has some of the Wit characteristics when held to the light.

S= Pungent. I was getting aromas from it right when the bottle was cracked. Tons of corriander in it. A very clean wheaty smell with a little lemon to it. It mentions lavender on the bottle and I pick that up in the background as well but if I didn't know it was there I may have passed it off as an odd corriander smell. A nice swirl gives some soapy character to it which may be just more of the unusual lavender coming through.

T= The taste is wonderful! Tons of flavor for a beer that is only 5.7%. There is a load of lemon zest coming through with a slight tartness to it. The wheat plays a minor role and there is a bit of doughyness and the lavender also plays a role in that sort of reminding me of some artisan loaves of bread I've tasted. The corriander comes through nicely as well.

M= Highly carbonated making this beer sort of dance across your mouth with a semi dry finish to it. The carbonation levels may prevent the sweetness from really resting on my tongue leading to the dryer feel.

D= This is an excellent beer for sure. Worth trying and definitally worth buying again. One of the most unique beers I've ever had and for sure one of the most complex Wits. I've yet to be dissapointed by the Bruery.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

2L growler, update 2-4-09, since I think the beer is at it's best out of the tap, no carbonation issues as I found in the bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy goldenrod, with a huge cap of champagne like bubbles which leave pretty fast, fun to pour.

S: Great nose - lemon, pepper, wheat, the slightest hint of the lavender which I found more evident when I had this ale on tap (Bottle). The freshness of the growler pour just hightens the great floral scent.

T: Very bright, crisp flavour, lemon, citric acid and orange juice, cereal grains, the lavender is there in the background, subtle, but adds a great compliment of flavour to the brew. Yeast character is there in the end, just adds to the complexity - more of a grainy taste. Great mix of flavours in this wit.

M: Very highly carbonated, too much IMO for a witbier, made the flavour hard to find at times in the bottle. Out of the growler, the carbonation is well in its place and makes the beer that much more drinkable. Quite smooth in this serving type. (Original bottle score - 2.5)

D: This is quite a good beer from the new brewery in Placentia, the flavour is great, if they lowered the carbonation in this it would truly be on par with the best wits in the world, the flavour is that good (original post). Edit - The growler pour really takes the carbonation problems from the bottle and gets them out of the situation, making this my favourite wit ever.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first review of a beer that's been retired and I didn't even know it was! Poured into a Shiner Bock pint glass. Can't find a freshness date.

A- Pours a light gold color with a very thin layer of sediment haziness that's suspended in the body. Has a white, 1/2 inch head that retains well and goes down to a solid 1/8 inch covering the whole surface.

S- Smells of orange, flowers, rosemary, sage, thyme and lavender as the bottle indicates. Very lovely

T- All right! The floweriness continues with a bit of cinnamon thrown into the mix whether intentional or not. The aforementioned smells are all there in flavor form. Kinda reminds me of Saison du Buff only not overbearing. Light alcohol makes it easy to take multiple sips without hardly feeling the burn.

M- Very light, thin and smooth yet with a medium-high carbonation that lets you know you're drinking beer, not tea. Quite good.

O- This is the first beer I've had by these guys after hearing so much about how I need to try 'em out. Finally found a 750 for a reasonable price at Total Wine & More.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Oh baby, here we go. This baby has been in my crosshairs for a while now, and I'm so excited I get to try one now.

A- A light hazy golden yellow. Decent one and a half finger head, fine, tiny soapy bubbles. Pales out when held to color, away it is a sexy deep milky orange that is incredibly appealing. Head is unusually thin and filmy.

S- Wonderful rich orange, corriander, lemon, citrus aromas, pepper spices, tartness. The deeper oat malts balance the lighter scents with a richer backbone than most wits. A very full smelling beer.

T- Initial tastes of peppery lemon dryness and mellow hops bitterness. More citrus and dry, with some sediment and yeast starchiness. More assertive than most examples of wheat beers I like this bolder take on a laid back style.

Some deeper and more woody flavors come in as it warmed up some.

M- I was excited about the idea of a wit brewed with oatmeal for a creamy smoothness. This isn't as smooth I was hoping, but it is still silky and has a great feel. Medium light body with some very small carbonation at the edges.

D- So easy drinking and so very good tasting, Orchard White is a wonderful treat for summer, a sipping wheat and whole lot of it for ample drinking. This beer really requires a wheat glass for maximum enjoyment.

My first partaking of The Bruery is a complete success.

4.58/5  rDev +18%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a pale yellow color and a cloudy consistency. There was a big, creamy, long-lasting head. Not much lacing.

S: A strong, super-sweet smell of citrus, spices, and malt. Very aromatic.

T: Tasted of lemon, coriander, malt, and a little lavender in the finish. Slightly different than a classic witbier (the lavender does this), but very tasty. Exceptionally zesty, complex and refreshing.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a slightly slick finish. Light-bodied.

D: One of the best American examples of a witbier. Compulsively drinkable.

4.58/5  rDev +18%

750mL bottle courtesy of a very generous trader.

A: Pours a hazy straw yellow with a massive head that overflows the pint glass. The head dissipates to a thin bubble layer which linger a while leaving no lacing.

S: Smell is dominated by the sweet wheat and spices, especially coriander. Lemon zest are prevalent in the nose as well.

T: Taste is also big on lemon zest up front which gives way to the sweet wheat and coriander. The finish has some of the citrus as well as more spices, almost like white pepper.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly light and very crisp with massive carbonation that lingers throughout just tickling the taste buds.

D: Drinkability is off the charts on this one and I won't mention how fast I got through this bottle. This carbonation is a bit high, but that's really nitpicking as this is an excellent wit.

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I was shocked to find some Bruery offerings in Indianapolis; I can never find any of their stuff in my local stores. I had almost given up on them, thinking it was another one of those local California brands that I could only get in trade (à la Russian River, Ballast Point, etc.). Fortunately, I was wrong; I have direct access to this legendary brewer! No doubt I’ll be trying out a ton of their brews; starting first with this one, Orchard White. I love a good fruity ale, and this one seems to be pretty beloved. Here’s what I found:

A: Soooo bubbly! An aggressive pour sends a huge head of foam up to the top of the glass. Seriously, it’s 85% foam at first. That, and the bubbles shooting up from the glass’ bottom, show the character as bright and sparkling. The body, a straw yellow, mixes golden sheen with a slight murkiness. A classic look.

S: Wow, what a lot of spice. Big coriander and flowery herbs in the beginning; huge scents. Yeasts are fruity and bready, arriving with the spices to create a warm bread pudding character. There’s a lot of sugar in this brew, but it’s countered by the spicy cinnamon/ginger elements; thus, balance in the nose.

T: This palate is tough to describe. A lot of spice upfront, just like the nose – mostly coriander and tangy, bitter orange zest. The herbs are strong, as well, with exciting tastes of cinnamon, lavender, juniper, and a bit of mint. The malts, brisk and tart, are in the same bright realm as the lemony yeasts; the sweetness of homemade sugar-cookies fills the senses. The aftertaste is a warm, bready, and even slightly dry. This palate is very unique; one of the most exciting and interesting drinks I’ve had in a long time.

M: Just the right amount of thickness in this one; it’s bigger than I was expecting, being that it’s only 5.7% ABV. That being said, I’m certainly a fan of the viscous, mouth-coating texture that this beer presents.

O: What a breath of fresh air! This beer is pure flavor complexity, but with the light touch that a beer in this style needs. This has definitely turned me on to The Bruery, and there’s no turning back now. If most of their offerings are like this, I’ll be drinking this stuff for years to come! It has just enough intricacy to keep me coming back. And come back I will! Next stop – Saison Rue.

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

750ml bottle purchased as a single from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into a Chimay chalice, formed a 1" white head over the cloudy golden brew. Head lasts and lasts, resupplied by cascades of bubbles from the bottom of the glass, with sporadic chunky lace.

Aroma is musty citrus. Taste is sweet and clovey upfront, citrus in the middle, with a very dry close.

Mouthfeel is feathery soft, and drinkability is excellent. Probably the best, most approachable witbier I have had the pleasure to enjoy.

Orchard White from The Bruery